Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 25 26 27 28 29 ... 65
Send Topic Print
Modern Monetary Theory (MMT) (Read 85441 times)
thegreatdivide
Gold Member

Australian Politics<br
/>

Re: Modern Monetary Theory (MMT)
Reply #390 - Mar 4th, 2023 at 12:14pm

https://www.msn.com/en-au/money/markets/fed-s-barkin-calls-for-deliberate-rate-h...

Fed's Barkin calls for deliberate rate hikes to fight 'exhausting' inflation'

He's barkin' mad; should be forced to live on the dole so long as higher interest rates are causing unemployment.

He claims 'lifting interest rates is the "work" the Fed must do'; obviously he hasn't done a day's work in his life....

IP Logged

thegreatdivide
Gold Member

Australian Politics<br
/>

Reply #391 - Mar 5th, 2023 at 9:33am

From a brilliant article by prof. Steve Keen, entitled:

How does JK Galbraith’s 'The New Industrial Estate' hold up after 6 decades?

https://email.telstra.com/webmail/index-rui.jsp?v=1479958955288#app/mail

Even Karl Marx was aware of the evil power possessed by "independent' central banks; here Keen directly quotes Marx:

Talk about centralisation! The credit system, which has its focus in the so-called national banks and the big money-lenders and usurers surrounding them, constitutes enormous centralisation, and gives to this class of parasites the fabulous power, not only to periodically despoil industrial capitalists, but also to interfere in actual production in a most dangerous manner—and this gang knows nothing about production and has nothing to do with it. (Marx 1894, Chapter 33)

Galbraith commented on the sad state of conventional economic theory in the 60s, as outlined by Keen here:

Reading The New Industrial State  (Galbraith 1967) again, six decades after it was first published, highlighted for me just how far economic theory has retreated from reality since the 1960s.

The New Industrial State (hereinafter called TNIS) described the actual structure of a modern industrial economy. It has nothing to do with Alfred Marshall's vision of a market economy, in which a multitude of small entrepreneurial firms sold homogenous goods directly to consumers in anonymous markets, and in which prices were set by the intersection of supply and demand. Instead, the economy is dominated by large corporations, which themselves are run by a bureaucratic "technostructure"—the term Galbraith invented—that attempts to manage everything, from input costs to final consumer demand which they manipulate via marketing. Prices are tamed by long term contracts, and the only source of instability in prices comes from wage demands on the one hand, and the vagaries of agricultural and energy production on the other.

This was the reality of the mid-1960s on which Galbraith commented. At the time he wrote, Galbraith was confident that this reality would supplant the Marshallian fantasy of supply and demand curves, which dominated economic theory.

Fat chance! Galbraith's optimism about his profession of economics was misplaced: faced with a conflict between reality and theory, mainstream economic(s) elevated theory over the inconvenient facts of the real world. The main real-world changes since Galbraith's time have been the crushing of trade unions, which has largely eliminated the capacity of workers to bargain for wage rises, the development of globalization, which has created long and extremely fragile supply chains, with much production occurring offshore rather than in American factories, and the financialization of near everything. But a "technostructure" is still in charge, and the realities of production, management and marketing are the same as he observed in the mid-1960s.

None of this realism has seeped into (neoclassical) economic theory.
« Last Edit: Mar 5th, 2023 at 3:38pm by thegreatdivide »  

IP Logged

thegreatdivide
Gold Member

Australian Politics<br
/>

Reply #392 - Mar 8th, 2023 at 2:38pm

Prof. Bill Mitchell answers a German academic critique of MMT.

https://billmitchell.org/blog/?p=60685

German Bundestag body’s MMT overview exposes the hidden agenda – the population simply can’t be allowed to understand MMT

eg, The Bundestag (ie, Parliament) discussion paper critique of MMT:

“inflationary developments are to be expected with a permanent and continuous expansion of the money supply.”

Bill answers:

Who advocates a “permanent and continuous expansion of the money supply” without regard to the development of the productive capacity of the economy and the spending and saving decisions of the non-government sector?

IP Logged

thegreatdivide
Gold Member

Australian Politics<br
/>

Reply #393 - Mar 9th, 2023 at 8:55am

Dr. Steven Hail, MMT associate professor at Torrens university, today tweeted:

Steven Hail
@StevenHailAus
The world's central bankers are essentially incompetent, because they are biased by their model, which is an unrealistic and abstract one, and are largely immune to an objective assessment of empirical evidence, even when they have gathered that evidence themselves.

IP Logged

thegreatdivide
Gold Member

Australian Politics<br
/>

Reply #394 - Mar 10th, 2023 at 9:08am

Proving Dr Hail's point that "the world's central bankers are essentially incompetent, because they are biased by their model, which is an unrealistic and abstract one..":

https://www.businessinsider.com/elizabeth-warren-powell-getting-people-fired-int...

Elizabeth Warren asks Fed Chair Powell to 'speak directly' to the people he's 'planning to get fired over the next year' by continuing to hike interest rates

Powell responded that he would "explain to people more broadly that inflation is extremely high and it's hurting the working people of this country badly. All of them, not just 2 million of them, but all of them are suffering under high inflation and we are taking the only measures we have to bring inflation down."

.....Yes, but your model is f**ked, dummy.

Food and energy price rises are currently caused by supply problems; jacking up interest rates won't fix those problems, price controls, rationing and/or food and energy discounts for low income people will.

Note: there is no actual shortage of food or energy in the home market, the problem is based in overseas markets.
« Last Edit: Mar 10th, 2023 at 9:16am by thegreatdivide »  

IP Logged

Lisa Jones
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #395 - Mar 10th, 2023 at 9:13am

Why haven’t you mentioned China’s involvement in all this gloom and doom ?

If I let myself be bought then I am no longer free.

HYPATIA - Greek philosopher, mathematician and astronomer (370 - 415)

IP Logged

thegreatdivide
Gold Member

Australian Politics<br
/>

Reply #396 - Mar 10th, 2023 at 9:19am

Lisa Jones wrote on Mar 10th, 2023 at 9:13am:

China is no different to everyone else, except it has a policy of "common prosperity" - despised by greedy Western neoclassical 'scarcity' ideologues.

IP Logged

Lisa Jones
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #397 - Mar 10th, 2023 at 9:23am

thegreatdivide wrote on Mar 10th, 2023 at 9:19am:

China is no different to everyone else, except it has a policy of "common prosperity" - despised by greedy Western neoclassical 'scarcity' ideologues.   

Wrong answer I’m afraid.

It’s complicit.

Please conduct more research before commenting.

IP Logged

thegreatdivide
Gold Member

Australian Politics<br
/>

Reply #398 - Mar 10th, 2023 at 11:07am

Lisa Jones wrote on Mar 10th, 2023 at 9:23am:

Wrong answer I’m afraid.

It’s complicit.

How is China any more complicit in the present dysfunctional global system, than anyone else?

IP Logged

Lisa Jones
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #399 - Mar 10th, 2023 at 12:44pm

thegreatdivide wrote on Mar 10th, 2023 at 11:07am:

Wrong answer I’m afraid.

It’s complicit.

How is China any more complicit in the present dysfunctional global system, than anyone else?

Oh there you are! I’m hoping that Methra has bounced out of that fake shared NotsoGreat id because when Methra talks through it ... it’s always serious next level BS. Of the gastric variety.

Now ... the comment made implies you agree that China IS indeed complicit in the present dysfunctional global system. And that volunteered admission is a great start.

Care to explain how YOU THINK it’s complicit?

IP Logged

thegreatdivide
Gold Member

Australian Politics<br
/>

Reply #400 - Mar 10th, 2023 at 1:04pm

Lisa Jones wrote on Mar 10th, 2023 at 12:44pm:

Wrong answer I’m afraid.

It’s complicit.

Oh there you are! I’m hoping that Methra has bounced out of that fake shared NotsoGreat id because when Methra talks through it ... it’s always serious next level BS. Of the gastric variety.

Enough with your BS, let's see if you can actually debate an issue...

Quote:
Now ... the comment made implies you agree that China IS indeed complicit in the present dysfunctional global system. And that volunteered admission is a great start.

No; the comment implies that the whole world post the 1990 demise of the USSR  is ravaged by the current vicious neoliberal/neoclassical orthodoxy. 

Quote:

You fraud: misinterpret a comment, and then demand an answer to your bs.

I asked you first:  how is China complicit in the current dysfunctional global neoclassical economic hegemony?

IP Logged

Lisa Jones
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #401 - Mar 10th, 2023 at 1:21pm

thegreatdivide wrote on Mar 10th, 2023 at 1:04pm:

Wrong answer I’m afraid.

It’s complicit.

Quote:

No; the comment implies that the whole world post the 1990 demise of the USSR  is ravaged by the current vicious neoliberal/neoclassical orthodoxy. 

Quote:

I asked you first:  how is China complicit in the current dysfunctional global neoclassical economic hegemony?

No. You stated this 👇:

How is China any MORE complicit in the present dysfunctional global system, than anyone else?

Stop co sharing that id and keep up. Ta.

IP Logged

thegreatdivide
Gold Member

Australian Politics<br
/>

Reply #402 - Mar 10th, 2023 at 1:27pm

Lisa Jones wrote on Mar 10th, 2023 at 1:21pm:

Wrong answer I’m afraid.

It’s complicit.

Quote:

Quote:

No. You stated this 👇:

How is China any MORE complicit in the present dysfunctional global system, than anyone else?

Ok, so have a shot at answering either of them. 

Quote:

...more of your time wasting BS, deplorable.

IP Logged

Lisa Jones
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #403 - Mar 10th, 2023 at 1:33pm

thegreatdivide wrote on Mar 10th, 2023 at 1:27pm:
Lisa Jones wrote on Mar 10th, 2023 at 1:21pm:

Wrong answer I’m afraid.

It’s complicit.

Quote:

Quote:

No. You stated this 👇:

Ok, so have a shot at answering either of them. 

Quote:

...more of your time wasting BS, deplorable.

Nope! I’m not playing go fetch. You do the research this time. It will give you something constructive to do other than co trolling under a few ids. I’ll come back to this topic later to see what you’ve researched.

IP Logged

thegreatdivide
Gold Member

Australian Politics<br
/>

Reply #404 - Mar 10th, 2023 at 1:44pm

More evidence of the current crop of neoclassical central bankers' pathology:

https://www.msn.com/en-au/money/markets/futures-pare-losses-after-jobless-claims...

Futures pare losses after jobless claims data

...unemployment increases, so stocks rise on the idea that Powell won't hike rates so sharply.

....rising unemployment is a 'good' thing -  economic orthodoxy gone mad, with no relation to functional economic reality.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 25 26 27 28 29 ... 65
Send Topic Print