Reply #105 - Apr 2nd, 2022 at 7:18pm

Bobby. wrote on Apr 2nd, 2022 at 4:37pm:
[quote author=WorldSacred link=1648699551/100#100 date=1648880965]

I went to 2 aged care facilities and the people were
hardly touching the horrible food.
They just sort of picked at it -
maybe eat a bit of this and a bit of that
but not the whole lousy meal.
I hope I die before I end up in one of those places.

You know that the older you get the less you eat, right? It's not like they burn a lot of energy watching reruns off dads army.

My grandparents once they got past 70yrs of age ate very little. I recall my grandfather would often have have one quail for dinner with a forkfull of salad.  You get more meat with one chicken drumstick.

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

SadKangaroo
Gold Member

#FightStupid

Mianjin (Brisbane)
Re: Aged Care
Reply #106 - Apr 4th, 2022 at 8:57am

I was lucky that my 95-year-old grandfather was able to stay at home until a few months before his death.

In his local council in Victoria, there were lots of services at that level aimed at keeping people who can look after themselves, with assistance, in their own homes.

His Chemist would manage all his scripts, create custom blister packs each week that was delivered to his house.

The council paid for people to help him shower, clean the house etc.

When I visited him last before COVID hit, I was trying to get him some Chinese food from the place that he's been going to for 50 years but since giving up driving hasn't been able to have much of, still owned by the same family although a few generations down, but they were closed for Chinese New Years. 

When they reopened just before our lockdowns, I'd helped their son set them up on Uber Eats and Deliveroo so I could have the dinner sent to him.

His neighbours were great.  He was always so helpful to all the new residents that they would all pitch in, he was everyone's grandfather, not just mine.  They'd help with his Bins, around the house and garden etc, all the things I would have done if I lived in the same state.

I mention all of this because the alternative was entering him into the aged care system which was unacceptable.

Sadly both my parents passed away before they reached 65, I hate cancer, I'm the only one left of my kin, other than my own family.

But that doesn't make what happens in Aged Care any less important to me.  I can't help but think what is this was my Pa.

If there ends up being a bidding war between the two parties, so long as they keep their promises and deliver AND it actually helps improve things, that will at least be something...

The problem is his supporters often complain about medicare, elderly people seeing the doctor too often etc.  It seems like they've been advocating for all of the changes that have led to this outcome and now pretend to be outraged and want to point fingers elsewhere.

The problems will never be resolved until the Government stands up and take responsibility.

It seems like that's only ever a thing expected of a Labor Government.

IP Logged

aquascoot
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #107 - Apr 4th, 2022 at 9:17am

There is no chance that the aged care system is going to cope

The number of people over the age of 80 is set to quadruple in the next 15 years

And people no longer look after their health

They think it is perfectly acceptable to become fat
To sit on the couch and not exercise

It's almost impossible to go anywhere without being run over by some fatty on a scooter
And society is normalising obesity
To the point where calling someone fat will get you an instant ban on social media

If you quadruple the number of people needing nursing home care
Just threw population demographics
And then you throw in the vast majority of them being overweight
You are going to need a literal army of people to lift them on and off the bed in and out of the shower
No one will want to do it
The cost will be exorbitant

What I expect to happen is that the family home will have to be surrendered to the government
Upon entry to a nursing home
As this is the only way this unbelievable expense will be able to be met

And a very heavy person at home will also not be able to be looked after by their relatives

If people really wanted to do something to help with the aged care crisis they would work on their own health nutrition and physical fitness
Of course they won't
The rate of weight increase during the covid lockdowns in Australia doubled
We are getting fatter not fitter

IP Logged

Ayn Marx
Gold Member

Australian Politics

South of Australia
Reply #108 - Apr 4th, 2022 at 9:19am

SadKangaroo wrote on Apr 4th, 2022 at 8:57am:
The problems will never be resolved until the Government stands up and take responsibility.

Expecting today’s Labour Party to remove private providers from this industry is wishful thinking. Only a Greens/independent coalition would dare make such a move but given the Australian electorate’s retarded thinking that’s not going to happen. 

This could be one of my last posts. An encounter with one of this forums autocratic moderators will probably soon get me banned. Won’t go into any details apart from suggesting giving individual moderators exclusive control of their particular topics without anything like collective responsibility to each other has always been a self destructive recipe for any public forum.

The Human Race is Insane

IP Logged

Lisa Jones
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #109 - Apr 4th, 2022 at 9:30am

Aged Care needs a LOT of money to fix. The Labor Government through Albo is making Australia BELIEVE THE LIE that they will do this.

The reality is this :

1. Labor is not only lying to Australians (believe you me that is a big red flag for me just there 🚩)

2. Labor does not know where the money it says it will throw at Aged Care will be coming from. (Another red flag 🚩 )

3. The money which Labor is pledging to throw into Aged Care is not going to achieve anything. It will not put a dent into the Aged care issues facing Australia.

4. And what gets me very angry 😠 is this : Labor must think Australians are all uneducated buffoons who don't have access to MSM. Well we are educated and yes we do quietly read AND TAKE NOTE of what we read. I guess my pain point is that when I chat to Labor supporters they either can't see or they don't want to believe/accept the brutal reality that their party is taking them down the garden path into la la land. And that's after they're shown left wing articles which hit hard at the lies which Labor thinks it is able to hoodwink gullible Australians with.

I personally don't enjoy seeing vulnerable people used and abused like this. The mind games being played by Labor are tantamount to toxic abuse.

The Liberal Party is no better.

If I let myself be bought then I am no longer free.

HYPATIA - Greek philosopher, mathematician and astronomer (370 - 415)

IP Logged

Lisa Jones
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #110 - Apr 4th, 2022 at 9:32am

Ayn Marx wrote on Apr 4th, 2022 at 9:19am:
SadKangaroo wrote on Apr 4th, 2022 at 8:57am:

Expecting today’s Labour Party to remove private providers from this industry is wishful thinking. Only a Greens/independent coalition would dare make such a move but given the Australian electorate’s retarded thinking that’s not going to happen. 

This could be one of my last posts. An encounter with one of this forums autocratic moderators will probably soon get me banned. Won’t go into any details apart from suggesting giving individual moderators exclusive control of their particular topics without anything like collective responsibility to each other has always been a self destructive recipe for any public forum.

Just keep posting. I personally would like to read more of your posts. I may not agree with much of what you say but I sure like reading about how you view the world.

IP Logged

SadKangaroo
Gold Member

#FightStupid

Mianjin (Brisbane)
Reply #111 - Apr 4th, 2022 at 9:49am

Lisa Jones wrote on Apr 4th, 2022 at 9:30am:
Aged Care needs a LOT of money to fix. The Labor Government through Albo is making Australia BELIEVE THE LIE that they will do this.

The reality is this :

1. Labor is not only lying to Australians (believe you me that is a big red flag for me just there 🚩)

2. Labor does not know where the money it says it will throw at Aged Care will be coming from. (Another red flag 🚩 )

3. The money which Labor is pledging to throw into Aged Care is not going to achieve anything. It will not put a dent into the Aged care issues facing Australia.

4. And what gets me very angry 😠 is this : Labor must think Australians are all uneducated buffoons who don't have access to MSM. Well we are educated and yes we do quietly read AND TAKE NOTE of what we read. I guess my pain point is that when I chat to Labor supporters they either can't see or they don't want to believe/accept the brutal reality that their party is taking them down the garden path into la la land. And that's after they're shown left wing articles which hit hard at the lies which Labor thinks it is able to hoodwink gullible Australians with.

I personally don't enjoy seeing vulnerable people used and abused like this. The mind games being played by Labor are tantamount to toxic abuse.

If you chat to Labor supporters as you have above, where you simply make unfounded claims, they're not going to simply believe you as you've got no credibility so it's no wonder you have the experience you do.

IP Logged

Lisa Jones
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #112 - Apr 4th, 2022 at 9:54am

SadKangaroo wrote on Apr 4th, 2022 at 9:49am:

The reality is this :

4. And what gets me very angry 😠 is this : Labor must think Australians are all uneducated buffoons who don't have access to MSM. Well we are educated and yes we do quietly read AND TAKE NOTE of what we read. I guess my pain point is that when I chat to Labor supporters they either can't see or they don't want to believe/accept the brutal reality that their party is taking them down the garden path into la la land.And that's after they're shown left wing articles which hit hard at the lies which Labor thinks it is able to hoodwink gullible Australians with.

If you chat to Labor supporters as you have above, where you simply make unfounded claims, they're not going to simply believe you as you've got no credibility so it's no wonder you have the experience you do.

You might want to read my post again. After that you might want to edit your post.

IP Logged

Jovial Monk
Gold Member

Dogs not cats!

Reply #113 - Apr 4th, 2022 at 9:55am

Larry is only interested in getting attention, not in debating.

Get the vaxx! 💉💉

If you don’t like abortions ignore them like you do school shootings.

IP Logged

Lisa Jones
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #114 - Apr 4th, 2022 at 9:59am

Lisa Jones wrote on Apr 4th, 2022 at 9:54am:
SadKangaroo wrote on Apr 4th, 2022 at 9:49am:

The reality is this :

4. And what gets me very angry 😠 is this : Labor must think Australians are all uneducated buffoons who don't have access to MSM. Well we are educated and yes we do quietly read AND TAKE NOTE of what we read. I guess my pain point is that when I chat to Labor supporters they either can't see or they don't want to believe/accept the brutal reality that their party is taking them down the garden path into la la land.And that's after they're shown left wing articles which hit hard at the lies which Labor thinks it is able to hoodwink gullible Australians with.

You might want to read my post again. After that you might want to edit your post.

I'll be back later to see what you've got.

In the interim you know where I am. That's right .... I'm over at OzPol's sister site PA organising the sacking of delusional Drunk Darwin Monk as self imposed Himmler.

IP Logged

SadKangaroo
Gold Member

#FightStupid

Mianjin (Brisbane)
Reply #115 - Apr 4th, 2022 at 10:46am

We can't discount the fact that we've got an election coming, it will be announced any second now, and at least on this subject, the two majors are putting forward their plans to work towards resolving the issues in the aged care sector.

As Scoot and others have alluded to, this can't be fixed overnight, it can't even be fixed in a single term.

Right off the starting blocks, the Libs are running the show for the last 9 years so the mess we're in now has their fingerprints all over it.

Is that enough to simply assume that Labor will do a better job?  No, not at all.

So first, since it's clear not many people haven't read even the summary of the findings from the Royal Commission into aged care, we should start there.

The full report can be found here, and the list of recommendations here, but below is a list of the main takeaways:

Quote:
1. Australia needs a rights-based aged-care system
In its recommendations, the final report highlights that Australia needs a new Aged Care Act to underpin reform. The new Act should set out the rights of older people, including their entitlement to care and support based on their needs and preferences.

This would be a significant shift away from the current ration-based system, and would bring aged care more in line with the principles of Medicare.

2. The system needs stronger governance
Ineffective governance and weak regulation of aged care must end. The final report calls for much stronger governance, regulation of the quality of care, prudential regulation, and an independent mechanism to set prices.

These changes would ensure the “quasi-market” aged-care system, as commissioner Tony Pagone described it, was much better regulated, holding providers to a higher standard of care, and better able to address any service gaps in the system. We might see the introduction of home care in locations where home-care services were not previously available, for example.

3. We need to improve workforce conditions and capability
The final report makes numerous important recommendations to enhance the capability and work conditions of formal carers. It calls for better wages and a new national registration scheme for all personal care workers, who would be required to have a minimum Certificate III training.

Residential care facilities would need to ensure minimum staff time with residents. By July 1 2022, this would be at least 200 minutes per resident per day for the average resident, with at least 40 minutes of that time with a registered nurse.

4. A better system will cost more
The final report makes a series of complex recommendations about fees and funding, with the commissioners diverging in view as to the specific arrangements. But essentially, the proposed new funding model would provide universal funding for care services, such as nursing.

This means there would be no requirement for aged-care recipients to pay a co-contribution, like public patients in public hospitals. Instead, the expectation is people pay for their ordinary costs of living, such as cleaning, subject to a means test and up to a maximum amount in residential care.

That is a monumental task.  But more importantly, many of the above have been chipped away by the current Government in their most recent terms. 

There is no escaping that it will take money, and lots of it, to fix the problem.  It will take stronger regulation which ultimately means less profit for the private providers as they'll be held to greater scrutiny and accountability levels.

It would also involve working with Unions to help improve conditions for staff which ultimately means better outcomes for those in care.

So, better training for staff, higher staffing levels, better pay, more money spent on the facilities, and an overhaul to the system from a legislative point of view to be being rights-based for those in care.

Every single one of those points is counter to the traditional Liberal-Conservative ideology, and their track record on all of these points, even from expanding the low-skilled migration numbers to further push down wages and standard of care of their last few terms.

We can't look to Labor in what they've done from opposition over the last 9 years since they've had zero power during this time, but all we can do is look at their plan that was mentioned at a very upper level during the budget reply, which included them forcing every aged care facility to have a registered nurse on-site at all hours, hire more carers, set higher standards for meals and fully fund a boost for workers through an appeal to the Fair Work Commission to set higher wages. 

It's just a start, once the election has been called I look forward to their fully fleshed out policies (both sides) so we can see not only what steps they'll take, but their timelines and funding.

But so far the Liberal's record and fingerprints all over the current mess puts them at a disadvantage, even though the faithful will still claim Labor are the liars...

It's too early to put my support being either plan, but I know one is certainly closer to the RC recommendations than the other.

More regulation, higher wages, working with unions, an admission the private sector has failed, it doesn't sound very "Liberal" to me.

IP Logged

SadKangaroo
Gold Member

#FightStupid

Mianjin (Brisbane)
Reply #116 - Apr 4th, 2022 at 10:55am

And speaking of the Libs record, let's not forget they've had 3 terms to fix this, but the situation has got worse under their leadership, term after term.

The Royal Commission into aged care was scathing at what the Liberals and the Morrison Government had done in terms of aged care during their terms, but we're to direct that anger at Labor?

Really?

Let's also not forget that we're to trust Scott Morrison to fix aged care when he as Treasurer took $1.2 billion from aged care in the 2016-17 budget.

It's easy to claim Labor are liars, but it's not so easy to erase the history of the Liberal Government and Scott Morrison's record on aged care.

IP Logged

Lisa Jones
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #117 - Apr 4th, 2022 at 11:22am

SadKangaroo wrote on Apr 4th, 2022 at 10:55am:
And speaking of the Libs record, let's not forget they've had 3 terms to fix this, but the situation has got worse under their leadership, term after term.

The Royal Commission into aged care was scathing at what the Liberals and the Morrison Government had done in terms of aged care during their terms, but we're to direct that anger at Labor?

Really?

Let's also not forget that we're to trust Scott Morrison to fix aged care when he as Treasurer took $1.2 billion from aged care in the 2016-17 budget.

It's easy to claim Labor are liars, but it's not so easy to erase the history of the Liberal Government and Scott Morrison's record on aged care.

I quite "like" this post of yours. For 2 main reasons :

1. You referred to a federal budget which was delivered SIX YEARS ago. 🚩 for me. You concentrated on money 💰 which is good because THAT is what interests me. And what really matters here anyway. 

(Just a heads up ... I smell desperation already given the time period that has elapsed since 2016 and that's a serious turn off for me).

2. You referred to a certain Royal Commission. But in very vague terms. 🚩 for me.

(Just a heads up ... you will need to read through the findings of that particular Royal Commission. Once you do that you might discover something quite embarrassing about LABOR and yes ... once again it ties back in with 1. Money 💰

I'll come back later to see what you've got.

Edit : If you sense that I'm marking your work ... I'm sorry but that's how I critique everything. And it's probably a residual "thang" from my days as a high school maths teacher (I got out of it and jumped into HR which I found more challenging and far safer plus it paid far better money).

« Last Edit: Apr 4th, 2022 at 11:28am by Lisa Jones »  

IP Logged

Sir Spot of Borg
Gold Member

WE ARE BORG

Australia
Reply #118 - Apr 4th, 2022 at 11:53am

aquascoot wrote on Apr 4th, 2022 at 9:17am:
What I expect to happen is that the family home will have to be surrendered to the government
Upon entry to a nursing home

This is already what normally happens - thanks to howard

Spot

Whaaaaaah!
I'm a 
Moron!
- edited by some unethical admin - you think its funny? - its a slippery slope
WWW PoliticsAneReligion  
IP Logged

SadKangaroo
Gold Member

#FightStupid

Mianjin (Brisbane)
Reply #119 - Apr 4th, 2022 at 11:54am

Lisa Jones wrote on Apr 4th, 2022 at 11:22am:
1. You referred to a federal budget which was delivered SIX YEARS ago. 🚩 for me. You concentrated on money 💰 which is good because THAT is what interests me. And what really matters here anyway. 

So we're not to learn from history then?  We can't hold those in power responsible for their actions at all, or is there a statute of limitations you're operating under?

Give me a window I'm allowed to work within then.

You claim to also be an advocate again domestic violence, do you operate the same way?  Ignore what the abuser did so long as it was long enough in the past and look to them to fix the results of their abuse?

It's such an asinine take I can't even refer to it as "logic"...

Quote:
2. You referred to a certain Royal Commission. But in very vague terms. 🚩 for me.

I'm not going to analyse the entire report's findings simply because you don't like the summary.

But let's talk about red flags.  I've laid out the evidence and provided links for you to read more, should you so choose.

You've attempted to distract from that in order to avoid scrutiny while providing not even a single shred of evidence, the best you can come up with is,

Quote:
"you will need to read through the findings of that particular Royal Commission. Once you do that you might discover something quite embarrassing about LABOR and yes ... once again it ties back in with 1. Money 💰"

By the guidelines you set out above, if we can't point back to the money spent, or in this case cut from aged care when Morrison was treasurer, how can we possibly go back to before the Coalition was even in Government to an even earlier point in time and point the finger at Labor?

What the actual bugger!?

You can't have it both ways.

You're being, dare I say it, disingenuous as always.

It's a stupid saying because I like cake, but, you can't have your cake and eat it too.

Your desperation to avoid an actual discussion is leading to multiple self-inflicted gunshot wounds to your feet.

There are so many red flags in how you respond to information you do not like that it's clear you are not operating in good faith because you just want to be right.  You don't appear to care about what is true and what isn't, all that matters is whatever you believe, that's what's right.

You're reframing the rules of engagement to suit yourself, then throwing them out the window to try and dismiss different points?

Are you for real?

Quote:
And it's probably a residual "thang" from my days as a high school maths teacher (I got out of it and jumped into HR which I found more challenging and far safer plus it paid far better money).

Do you not age or something?

You've apparently got a double degree, went to law school, was also a high school Maths teacher and a stay-at-home mum?

Here's some advice from my D&D days many many decades ago.  Make detailed notes on your character sheet and don't lose it.  Don't make things up on the fly because it will often bite you in the ass later in the campaign. 

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 12
Send Topic Print