Send Topic Print
Aged Care (Read 3681 times)
greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Aged Care
Reply #135 - Apr 5th, 2022 at 6:34am

Sir Spot of Borg wrote on Apr 5th, 2022 at 6:15am:
In the mornings though they put something in her coffee to make it thicker so she could swallow it.

Yeah, the thickened liquids are pretty disgusting.

They do that to prevent aspiration (the liquid going down the wrong way, into the lungs, and eventually causing pneumonia).

Dad's liquids all had to be thickened, and he hated it.

Unfortunately, it was the aspiration that got him in the end  Cry

IP Logged

Lisa Jones
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #136 - Apr 5th, 2022 at 7:56am

greggerypeccary wrote on Apr 4th, 2022 at 8:32pm:
Bobby. wrote on Apr 4th, 2022 at 8:31pm:
greggerypeccary wrote on Apr 4th, 2022 at 8:28pm:
My father's nursing home was quite modest, in a relatively low socioeconomic area.

I had the highest expectations for the food that was served to him.

Stop peddling your bullshit, Bullshit Bobby.

All I did was link a story from the ABC -

And you lied about what it said.

Bobby links a lot of things in his posts that he shouldn't when he's online. I have no idea why but like Dumbarse Aussie he feels compelled to.

If I let myself be bought then I am no longer free.

HYPATIA - Greek philosopher, mathematician and astronomer (370 - 415)

IP Logged

Lisa Jones
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #137 - Apr 5th, 2022 at 8:14am

Sad Kangaroo you were on D&R eh?

As who? NorthOfNorth?

IP Logged

SadKangaroo
Gold Member

#FightStupid

Mianjin (Brisbane)
Reply #138 - Apr 5th, 2022 at 8:22am

I think Bobby and Greggy are both right.

They do serve that kind of slop, but not to everyone.

But, in general, they can and should eat better where medically possible.

If we lie about the conditions, when people see that it's not slop for everyone, everyday, it hurts the movement to push for reform.

Just like conspiracy tards lying about whatever they're trying to push, when they're exposed their argument, in the rational world, is over.

I'm not saying we have any sort of influence on this forum when it comes to public policy, but it's still important to be honest and tell the truth.

I've been eating slop the past couple of weeks.

Creamy Mushroom Soup, Cauliflower and Parmesan Cheese soup, and something we've affectionately called baby food which looks like pumpkin soup but is boiled potato, chicken breast, carrots, green beans and squash, mashed then blended into slop.

My wife was unable to eat proper food at the time, so we've had to change our meals to this.  The kids ate normally but I thought it was unfair for me to eat chewy or crunchy food, so I had the same as her.  We're slowly getting back to normal with more substantial soft foods.

We wouldn't want to have to eat like this forever.  It really made us realise how lucky we are to, normally, have access to such great quality food and it actually has a psychological impact when you don't.

We know our situation is temporary.

The quality of food in general in nursing homes isn't great, but it's not as bad as Bobby is painting it.

But we don't need to exaggerate it.

It can, and should be better.  Sharing meals is such an important part of the human experience and while they may have the option to share the meals, if they're eating poor quality food it's detrimental to their physical and mental health.

It's an easy thing to point to in terms of policy change because everybody eats and can relate.  It's not quite the same when it comes to medical care, nurse access, being bedridden etc, it's not something that everyone can empathise with, for those even capable.

But the food is something we can all agree on.

Well, nearly all of us.  There are some voices pretty much pushing, they're old, they've lived their lives, bugger em.  It costs too much to fix, they should be lucky to have what they do, why should we sacrifice for them? 

Similar to the COVID stand and the elderly the same voices have taken.

Not everyone is capable of compassion and empathy.

IP Logged

SadKangaroo
Gold Member

#FightStupid

Mianjin (Brisbane)
Reply #139 - Apr 5th, 2022 at 8:23am

Lisa Jones wrote on Apr 5th, 2022 at 8:14am:

As who? NorthOfNorth?

D&D, and if you must know, I was often a Bard.

But nice deflection, as usual.

IP Logged

aquascoot
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #140 - Apr 5th, 2022 at 8:47am

And what about the elderly in nursing homes whose only joy in life is seeing their relatives

They probably see people insisting on nursing home lockdown to keep them safe as sadistic monsters

That's certainly how I would feel if I was living in solitary confinement and being told no visitors as I have to be kept safe

I'm sure some elderly people value human flourishing waymore then safety & security

IP Logged

Lisa Jones
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #141 - Apr 5th, 2022 at 8:48am

SadKangaroo wrote on Apr 5th, 2022 at 8:23am:

As who? NorthOfNorth?

And not often? NorthOfNorth?

IP Logged

SadKangaroo
Gold Member

#FightStupid

Mianjin (Brisbane)
Reply #142 - Apr 5th, 2022 at 9:11am

Lisa Jones wrote on Apr 5th, 2022 at 8:48am:
SadKangaroo wrote on Apr 5th, 2022 at 8:23am:

As who? NorthOfNorth?

And not often? NorthOfNorth?

You've got a very obvious tell.

The moment someone says something that's a little too close to home, you go in hard on the sock accusations.

I wonder what it was that triggered you this time?

Was it pointing out that you were complaining that we shouldn't be able to point to something that Scomo did as treasurer back in the 2016-17 budget, cutting $1.2 billion from aged care, because that was too long ago, then in the next "red flag" you claim I should read more to be able to blame Labor, who were last in power even earlier than that, in 2013 and how hypocritical that was?

Or was it that in the short time I've paid attention to you, you've claimed to have a double degree, been to law school, were a high school maths teacher and a stay-at-home mum and that seems like a lot for one person...  It seems, dare I say, a little sus?

Or was it maybe the fact that I've sourced the evidence in the full report of the Royal Commission into Aged Care, the summation and follow up recommendations as what has guided my opinion on the matter and all you've done is say "do your research" like a conspiracy tard?

There is a lot to choose from, and you've displayed time and time again what a precious snowflake you are, so your triggering might not even have anything to do with the forum, I'm just the lucky recipient of your bitching and moaning...

I thought that's what hubby is for...  At least he hopefully gets some perks out of having to endure you...

IP Logged

Sir Spot of Borg
Gold Member

WE ARE BORG

Australia
Reply #143 - Apr 5th, 2022 at 9:34am

aquascoot wrote on Apr 5th, 2022 at 8:47am:
And what about the elderly in nursing homes whose only joy in life is seeing their relatives

They probably see people insisting on nursing home lockdown to keep them safe as sadistic monsters

That's certainly how I would feel if I was living in solitary confinement and being told no visitors as I have to be kept safe

I'm sure some elderly people value human flourishing waymore then safety & security

My mother was very very upset in the lockdown because they wouldnt let me in to see her. They fed her crap she hated because nobody was watching them. She ended up dying during lockdown (but i did sneak in the day before). Its not like covid was going to do anything to her - she was already dying.

Spot

Whaaaaaah!
I'm a 
Moron!
- edited by some unethical admin - you think its funny? - its a slippery slope
WWW PoliticsAneReligion  
IP Logged

Sir Spot of Borg
Gold Member

WE ARE BORG

Australia
Reply #144 - Apr 5th, 2022 at 9:36am

SadKangaroo wrote on Apr 5th, 2022 at 8:22am:
I think Bobby and Greggy are both right.

They do serve that kind of slop, but not to everyone.

But, in general, they can and should eat better where medically possible.

If we lie about the conditions, when people see that it's not slop for everyone, everyday, it hurts the movement to push for reform.

Just like conspiracy tards lying about whatever they're trying to push, when they're exposed their argument, in the rational world, is over.

I'm not saying we have any sort of influence on this forum when it comes to public policy, but it's still important to be honest and tell the truth.

I've been eating slop the past couple of weeks.

Creamy Mushroom Soup, Cauliflower and Parmesan Cheese soup, and something we've affectionately called baby food which looks like pumpkin soup but is boiled potato, chicken breast, carrots, green beans and squash, mashed then blended into slop.

My wife was unable to eat proper food at the time, so we've had to change our meals to this.  The kids ate normally but I thought it was unfair for me to eat chewy or crunchy food, so I had the same as her.  We're slowly getting back to normal with more substantial soft foods.

We wouldn't want to have to eat like this forever.  It really made us realise how lucky we are to, normally, have access to such great quality food and it actually has a psychological impact when you don't.

We know our situation is temporary.

The quality of food in general in nursing homes isn't great, but it's not as bad as Bobby is painting it.

But we don't need to exaggerate it.

It can, and should be better.  Sharing meals is such an important part of the human experience and while they may have the option to share the meals, if they're eating poor quality food it's detrimental to their physical and mental health.

It's an easy thing to point to in terms of policy change because everybody eats and can relate.  It's not quite the same when it comes to medical care, nurse access, being bedridden etc, it's not something that everyone can empathise with, for those even capable.

But the food is something we can all agree on.

Well, nearly all of us.  There are some voices pretty much pushing, they're old, they've lived their lives, bugger em.  It costs too much to fix, they should be lucky to have what they do, why should we sacrifice for them? 

Similar to the COVID stand and the elderly the same voices have taken.

Not everyone is capable of compassion and empathy.

This is what im saying. They arent ALL bad. Most are in canberra though. The posh one my dad was in in sydney served pretty basic food (to save money i suppose) and called it posh names. A free one in canberra my mother was in temporarily actually had healthy (and it looked tasty) meals. Actually - same one cods was in. They are not all the same.

Spot

Whaaaaaah!
I'm a 
Moron!
- edited by some unethical admin - you think its funny? - its a slippery slope
WWW PoliticsAneReligion  
IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #145 - Apr 5th, 2022 at 9:47am

Would any of you like some aged care food tonight?

It's delicious and nutritious.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-09-17/food-in-aged-care/10212880?nw=0&r=HtmlFra...

IP Logged

Lisa Jones
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #146 - Apr 5th, 2022 at 9:57am

As who? NorthOfNorth?

Yep. NorthOfNorth.

Thought so.

IP Logged

SadKangaroo
Gold Member

#FightStupid

Mianjin (Brisbane)
Reply #147 - Apr 5th, 2022 at 9:59am

Bobby. wrote on Apr 5th, 2022 at 9:47am:

Why do you keep reposting the same thing over and over?

IP Logged

SadKangaroo
Gold Member

#FightStupid

Mianjin (Brisbane)
Reply #148 - Apr 5th, 2022 at 10:00am

Lisa Jones wrote on Apr 5th, 2022 at 9:57am:

As who? NorthOfNorth?

Yep. NorthOfNorth.

Thought so.

You're not special enough Lisa for there to be some conspiracy against you.

If you want to avoid the topic and focus on this because you can't refute the points other people are making, just abandon the thread again.

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #149 - Apr 5th, 2022 at 10:00am

SadKangaroo wrote on Apr 5th, 2022 at 9:59am:
Bobby. wrote on Apr 5th, 2022 at 9:47am:

Why do you keep reposting the same thing over and over?

Just to annoy all the posters who doubted me.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 
Send Topic Print