Gold Member

#FightStupid

Mianjin (Brisbane)
Re: Aged Care
Reply #165 - Apr 5th, 2022 at 10:26am

Bobby. wrote on Apr 5th, 2022 at 10:00am:
SadKangaroo wrote on Apr 5th, 2022 at 9:59am:
Bobby. wrote on Apr 5th, 2022 at 9:47am:

Why do you keep reposting the same thing over and over?

Just to annoy all the posters who doubted me.

Nobody doubted you friend, just your claim that it happens everywhere and for everyone.

We all, well not all, but I think it's safe to say the majority want to see the quality of the food, amongst other things, improved.

IP Logged

SadKangaroo
Gold Member

#FightStupid

Mianjin (Brisbane)
Reply #166 - Apr 5th, 2022 at 10:27am

Lisa Jones wrote on Apr 5th, 2022 at 10:03am:
Lisa Jones wrote on Apr 5th, 2022 at 9:57am:
Lisa Jones wrote on Apr 5th, 2022 at 8:14am:
Sad Kangaroo you were on D&R eh?

As who? NorthOfNorth?

Yep. NorthOfNorth.

Thought so.

Edit : White flag accepted

Says the poster running from scrutiny...

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #167 - Apr 5th, 2022 at 10:38am

SadKangaroo wrote on Apr 5th, 2022 at 10:26am:

Nobody doubted you friend, just your claim that it happens everywhere and for everyone.

Well, it does happen everywhere - it's pureed food essential for the well-being of the residents with dysphagia and aspiration problems.

There's nothing wrong with it - it's perfectly nutritious and tasty.  I've eaten it.

It looks crap, but it has to be that way or else they'd have residents dying left right and centre (faster than normal).

But no, it's not served to all residents - only those with the conditions mentioned.

Bobby is being a complete idiot.

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #168 - Apr 5th, 2022 at 10:45am

This is exactly what my father's meals looked like when they were served up to him:

Still not pretty, but they are served that way for a reason:

"A puréed food diet provides nutrition for individuals suffering from many different diseases and conditions but is designed specifically for patients who have difficulty chewing or swallowing. People with dysphagia, or difficulty swallowing, usually follow this type of diet to prevent choking or silent aspiration."

Now, most people in nursing homes are bored shitless and they'll do anything for entertainment.

My father used to mush all the colours together for a bit of fun, and to gently cool it down.

The result is what you see in Bobby's first photo.  Looked disgusting, however, he thoroughly enjoyed the taste.

Without meals like that, my father would have died in the first week he was admitted to the nursing home.

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #169 - Apr 5th, 2022 at 2:56pm

We all, well not all, but I think it's safe to say the majority want to see the quality of the food, amongst other things, improved.

Thanks - your apology is accepted.

IP Logged

SadKangaroo
Gold Member

#FightStupid

Mianjin (Brisbane)
Reply #170 - Apr 5th, 2022 at 3:11pm

Bobby. wrote on Apr 5th, 2022 at 2:56pm:

Thanks - your apology is accepted.

If you need to feel like that was an apology that's fine with me, I only care about the issue not your feelings, but if it means you'll come to the table in a more good-faith way, I'm all for it.

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #171 - Apr 5th, 2022 at 3:19pm

SadKangaroo wrote on Apr 5th, 2022 at 3:11pm:
If you need to feel like that was an apology that's fine with me, I only care about the issue not your feelings, but if it means you'll come to the table in a more good-faith way, I'm all for it.

The fact is that I'm fed up with being shot as the messenger
nearly every day on Ozpolitic.
Unlike many other posters I give a link to the story I'm telling.
I try to use good sources but it's still not good enough
for the horrible posters who use ad hominem abuse against me.

The usual suspects:
Greggy,
Monk and
Jim.

IP Logged

SadKangaroo
Gold Member

#FightStupid

Mianjin (Brisbane)
Reply #172 - Apr 5th, 2022 at 4:14pm

Bobby. wrote on Apr 5th, 2022 at 3:19pm:
SadKangaroo wrote on Apr 5th, 2022 at 3:11pm:

The fact is that I'm fed up with being shot as the messenger
nearly every day on Ozpolitic.
Unlike many other posters I give a link to the story I'm telling.
I try to use good sources but it's still not good enough
for the horrible posters who use ad hominem abuse against me.

The usual suspects:
Greggy,
Monk and
Jim.

Mate, I understand.  You can only lead a horse to water.

But don't confuse people tiring of reposts because you didn't get the reaction you wanted the first time with shooting the messenger.

And again, I can't speak for everyone, but I think it's safe to say, the meals shown in these links, IF (and this is a big if since it's been shown in most cases, this isn't happening) this was the standard meals across all the residents, it's outrageous and totally unacceptable.

If it's only for those who suffer from Dysphagia it's entirely different, they actually need their meals in this form.  So long as its quality ingredients going into what is then processed into the final product, that's all that matters.

But this was a little excessive,

Bobby. wrote on Apr 2nd, 2022 at 3:39pm:

Bobby. wrote on Apr 2nd, 2022 at 2:06pm:

Bobby. wrote on Apr 4th, 2022 at 8:09pm:

Bobby. wrote on Apr 4th, 2022 at 8:25pm:

Bobby. wrote on Apr 5th, 2022 at 10:06am:

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #173 - Apr 5th, 2022 at 4:29pm

Hi Sad,
thou doth hath reason to be annoyed.   Grin

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Crocodile Hunter: Origins

Rockhampton
Reply #174 - Apr 5th, 2022 at 6:10pm

greggerypeccary wrote on Apr 5th, 2022 at 10:45am:
This is exactly what my father's meals looked like when they were served up to him:

Many years ago, before I started gaining weight, I did some weird stuff like blending all my cooked vegetables in a blender and serving it up with sausages or schnitzels for my dinner. Carrots, peas/beans, potato, asparagus -- all blended together and served on a plate. The thing was that I was able to digest the food a lot better. But, I did not have the enjoyment of eating a meal as it was presented. I gave up on blending the food when I figured I was probably spending more money on using the blender than whatever digestive benefit I was getting from blending the food. I was triggered by memories of this when I was eating oatmeal for breakfast.

No matter how we feel about the look of the meals at aged care facilities, we have to put the health of the residents first. The elderly have probably eaten much worse or less meals in their youth than what they have at the aged care. It is not like we want the elderly to choke on their meals because they cannot chew and swallow as well as they have in the past.

At this stage...
IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #175 - Apr 5th, 2022 at 7:08pm

UnSubRocky wrote on Apr 5th, 2022 at 6:10pm:
greggerypeccary wrote on Apr 5th, 2022 at 10:45am:

Many years ago, before I started gaining weight, I did some weird stuff like blending all my cooked vegetables in a blender and serving it up with sausages or schnitzels for my dinner. Carrots, peas/beans, potato, asparagus -- all blended together and served on a plate. The thing was that I was able to digest the food a lot better. But, I did not have the enjoyment of eating a meal as it was presented. I gave up on blending the food when I figured I was probably spending more money on using the blender than whatever digestive benefit I was getting from blending the food. I was triggered by memories of this when I was eating oatmeal for breakfast.

No matter how we feel about the look of the meals at aged care facilities, we have to put the health of the residents first. The elderly have probably eaten much worse or less meals in their youth than what they have at the aged care. It is not like we want the elderly to choke on their meals because they cannot chew and swallow as well as they have in the past.

Yep.  Nailed it.

My mother, unfortunately, has the same problem now (even worse), so I have to blend her meals in a Ninja every day.

Looks disgusting, but it's nutritious and tasty.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 
Send Topic Print