Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Re: privatisation
Reply #120 - Apr 12th, 2022 at 9:12pm

Baronvonrort wrote on Apr 12th, 2022 at 8:45pm:
freediver wrote on Apr 12th, 2022 at 7:25pm:
Quote:
SO far you haven't provided any evidence that private education provides better results.

Sure I have. The fact that so many people are willing to pay so much for it.

Money talks, BS walks.

In NSW we only have 2 government non selective high schools in the top 100 schools.

Willoughby Girls High school is highest ranked at 65th that area has large Asian population.

A government selective high school only takes bright kids these schools do well because they don't admit dim wits.The kids sit a test in 6th grade to qualify for a selective high school. The high school i went to is ranked 2nd best in NSW.

10 private schools are ranked in the top 21 high schools.

https://www.matrix.edu.au/high-school-rankings/2021-high-school-rankings/

If your offspring aren't smart enough to get into selective high school then private schools have better results compared to non selective government schools.

Absolutely 100% with you there! IF your kids can't get into a govt owned selective school then you should get them into a private school.

(Unless of course you have a clever son who gets into Sydney Grammar - which is BOTH a selective AND a private school 😎)

If I let myself be bought then I am no longer free.

HYPATIA - Greek philosopher, mathematician and astronomer (370 - 415)

IP Logged

Lisa Jones
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Re: Modern Monetary Theory (MMT)
Reply #121 - Apr 12th, 2022 at 9:16pm

Baronvonrort wrote on Apr 12th, 2022 at 9:11pm:
freediver wrote on Apr 10th, 2022 at 7:53pm:
For far more fundamental reasons - the government should not be running these businesses in the first place.

The governments job is running the country it should not be involved with businesses.

We should privatise the ABC/SBS those who like it can buy shares in it. It will save taxpayers over a billion dollars a year. Why should those who don't watch it pay taxes for a small minority who don't want commercials to pay for it?

Imagine that extra billion going into health and/or aged care each year instead. Apologies... I ought to know better. Clearly my priorities need to be sorted. 😔

IP Logged

Baronvonrort
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #122 - Apr 12th, 2022 at 9:27pm

Lisa Jones wrote on Apr 12th, 2022 at 9:16pm:
For far more fundamental reasons - the government should not be running these businesses in the first place.

The governments job is running the country it should not be involved with businesses.

We should privatise the ABC/SBS those who like it can buy shares in it. It will save taxpayers over a billion dollars a year. Why should those who don't watch it pay taxes for a small minority who don't want commercials to pay for it?

Imagine that extra billion going into health and/or aged care each year instead. Apologies... I ought to know better. Clearly my priorities need to be sorted. 😔

It's costing us over a billion dollars a year because the luvvies don't want to see any ads.

Leftists and the Ayatollahs have a lot in common when it comes to criticism of Islam, they don't tolerate it.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #123 - Apr 12th, 2022 at 9:29pm

Free to air TV is already obsolete. SBS and ABC are turning into just another netflix. Except they still show ads. I refuse to watch it, even though it is free. And no, I cannot be bothered upgrading my ad blockers every 20 minutes to keep up with them.

People who can't distinguish between etymology and entomology bug me in ways I cannot put into words.
IP Logged

Lisa Jones
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #124 - Apr 12th, 2022 at 10:19pm

Baronvonrort wrote on Apr 12th, 2022 at 9:27pm:

It's costing us over a billion dollars a year because the luvvies don't want to see any ads.

Just finished double checking that figure.

It's receiving over a billion a year in funding from Scomo.

I tell you what I'd be doing post haste if I was the PM ... I'd slash the ABC's budget by 50%. That half a billion dollars per year would be re directed into aged care. That's where the need is. I've gone to great lengths to explain that aged care isn't just about our baby boomer parents. It affects all of us. Especially those of us who are Gen X and Gen Y. We're picking up the pieces of a broke aged care system which needs to be seriously addressed. We just have to find money for aged care. It's an emergency. Now more than ever. Each and every year more baby boomers are turning up and being told to wait at the end of a ridiculous queue for an aged care package/remedial assistance etc. Some are dying whilst waiting in that queue.

Nope! Cut back anywhere/everywhere possible I say!

1. ABC - discussed above.

2. Jobseeker payments. Not a cent more must be given! If anyone on Jobseeker isn't able to survive on it then go get SOME job! Unemployment is 4% AND tipped to fall to 3.5% by the end of the year. There's no excuse! These unemployment figures haven't been seen for over 15 years!

3. All state and federal govt departments need to be looked at afresh. Cut staff back by 10%! And why not? It's happening right across private enterprises! Why should govt departments be exempt?

4. Every single Australian politician needs to reflect on a very long overdue question : Why aren't THEY leading by example? The wages of workers they're happy to tax aren't keeping up with CPI yet the wages of politicians automatically increase irrespective of what the rest of us are going through. Nope .. if politicians want to talk the talk that's fine but only if they themselves walk the walk. That means their wages need to stop sprinting and start walking instead.

It's easy to TALK about a fair go. Words are cheap. No one is prepared to be fair dinkum about it. Our politicians should be setting examples not seeking exemptions. i

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #125 - Apr 12th, 2022 at 11:44pm

YEAH!!!!  Let the bastards all turn to crime and underworld activities like trafficking their daughters etc!  Let's create a solid underworld complete with inroads into the cops (bought) and politicians (bought) and so forth so as to advance criminality and organised crime as the only way of life available!

If they can't get by in a parasite society - they can just be the BEST parasites!!

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #126 - Apr 12th, 2022 at 11:46pm

freediver wrote on Apr 12th, 2022 at 9:29pm:
Free to air TV is already obsolete. SBS and ABC are turning into just another netflix. Except they still show ads. I refuse to watch it, even though it is free. And no, I cannot be bothered upgrading my ad blockers every 20 minutes to keep up with them.

Jesus Christ - not the benefits of privatisation again........ get out a bit, freed......

My ad blocker never fails... what's wrong with yours?

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #127 - Apr 12th, 2022 at 11:47pm

Baronvonrort wrote on Apr 12th, 2022 at 9:27pm:

Government has no place in business!  Business has no place in government.................................... NONE!

― John Adams

IP Logged

SadKangaroo
Gold Member

#FightStupid

Mianjin (Brisbane)
Reply #128 - Apr 13th, 2022 at 12:21am

You're assuming the ABCs charter is to make money.

It's not, it's to provide a service.

If it's privatised all the biggest "loss" services will go, including new and radio that saves lives during emergencies and provides regional and rural Australia with news and information.

All the international services will go which helps bring the attention to Australia boosting many local markets, not just tourism.

If, like Telstra, the government legislate service obligations to these services and areas there will be demands of handouts for subsidies.

What's the point in privatising it in that case?

And would a privatised ABC still be bound by their charter, you know the one that required honesty in reporting which time and time again, investigation after investigation has shown to be fair, balanced and of the highest integrity?

If whoever buys it cannot control the narrative to further their own agenda, like Skynews, are unable to advertise and have to follow the Principles and Standards the ABC is currently bound to, nobody will buy it anyway...

Unless the ABC is destroyed it's not a profitable service.

And despite the slow shift to the right, that's the entire point of the notion of privatising the ABC, to destroy it because those who pull the strings of the conservative parties demand it, and the sheep are all to eager to follow orders.

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #129 - Apr 13th, 2022 at 8:13am

Mr Sad,
Quote:
And would a privatised ABC still be bound by their charter,
you know the one that required honesty in reporting which time and time again,
investigation after investigation has shown to be fair,
balanced and of the highest integrity?

Wow - you really have been brainwashed.
I see the ABC as nothing more than a Govt.
propaganda outlet.
It reminds me of the Tass news agency in Russia.

IP Logged

SadKangaroo
Gold Member

#FightStupid

Mianjin (Brisbane)
Reply #130 - Apr 13th, 2022 at 9:08am

Bobby. wrote on Apr 13th, 2022 at 8:13am:
Mr Sad,
Quote:

propaganda outlet.

You want to accuse me of being brainwashed, yet the "propaganda" you speak of is nothing but reporting of both sides.

You're so used to what you get from the likes of SkyNews that the ABC, sticking to their charter, is considered "propaganda" to you.

Just shows how far right you've gone without even realising it friend.

Each time the Libs hold enquires into the ABC, other than the last one that was not finished, they all come to the same conclusion, the ABC has abided by their charter and are not in fact a propaganda outlet.

Go look it up...

Facts over feelings mate.

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #131 - Apr 13th, 2022 at 9:52am

freediver wrote on Apr 12th, 2022 at 6:19pm:
Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on Apr 11th, 2022 at 11:28pm:
Saying 'privatisation is good' over and over will not alter the fact that in every 'privatised' 'venture' the cost to the end user has gone up for a lower standard of service.

Crap.

Do you have any evidence at all for this?

Quote:
And for far more fundamental & moral reasons certain utility businesses like water & electricity generation/supply should not be in the hands of private enterprise.

Do you know what the reasons are?

Quote:
It's a furphy/fallacy that only the private sector can run a business anyway.

Strawman. Even a communist government can run a business. Just not very well.

Quote:
The fact that many of our politicians come from a private sector background & often go back there after politics should be evident.

It's got nothing at all to do with the skills of the individual.

Gnads wrote on Apr 12th, 2022 at 6:46am:
freediver wrote on Apr 10th, 2022 at 8:36pm:
What would have been done differently if it was in the government's hands?

Maintenance of infrastructure assets for one.

But we just had someone pointing out that the NSW government sold off electricity assets because it "couldn't afford" to maintain them.

Gnads wrote on Apr 12th, 2022 at 6:50am:
freediver wrote on Apr 11th, 2022 at 9:20am:
Because their management is too heavily influenced by politics. If you look at the workplace culture of state owned enterprises compared to privately owned ones it is always the same thing - unproductive, unmotivated.

A competitive marketplace will deliver the goods cheaper. Ultimately, it is for the same reason why capitalist economies are so much wealthier than the communist ones. Communism gives you an idea of what happens when the government controls all the businesses. So unless there is a sound economic reason - that is, a condition that makes a market failure both inevitable and worse than the alternative of government ownership - democratic governments around the world have been steadily unloading state owned assets.

Which industries do you consider to be a matter of national security?

You complete tosser Grin

You're saying that politics wouldn't be involved when the system is being run by LNP supporting business?

Yes. People tend to run their businesses to make money.

Quote:
And for national security reasons we do not require foreign investment in essential public utilities like electricity & water supply.

Grin

You think the water supply is a national security issue?

Quote:
Because they can afford to ...... & they're elitist snot nosed twerps like you.

Another lie. Most of them struggle to come up with the money.

Quote:
Well under the private only model those who cannot pay get no education.

Youa re missing the point DNA.

Quote:
And then you find that as often as not the public schools end up leading the education standards results and receive the top grades.

So the parrots keep mindlessly chanting. But where is the evidence?

Quote:
It seems frustrating to be asked to explain the obvious, things that you obviously do know yourself.
It isn't determined by the history but the history displayed the position. There are industries that historically have been part of the competitive market most this is because it is where they belong. Things that may even benefit from competition that are not essential services or not of national importance.

So how do you know where they belong?

Quote:
It would be just as ludicrous to nationalize yo-yo manufacture as it is to privatise education or power.

And yet you cannot explain why.

That was the excuse given by the govt of the day. It hasn't stopped any govt getting involved in spending taxpayer dollars on other things they couldn't afford.

What is paid in taxes & for electricity there was no excuse for failure to maintain or be able to afford.

I bet the govt. responsible was an LNP govt.

We had 2 Premiers & their govts removed in QLD for selling off or planning to sell state assets.

Bligh Labor govt & Newman LNP govt.

As for the control of our water assets being a national security concern .... why wouldn't it be?

Why did the Brits send bombers into Europe to blow up dams during WW2?

Privatisation of essential public assets has not resulted in 1 cent saved or any other benefit for taxpaying consumers.

It's a fact. 

"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It's only painful and difficult for others. The same applies when you are stupid." ~ Ricky Gervais

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #132 - Apr 13th, 2022 at 9:54am

freediver wrote on Apr 12th, 2022 at 6:31pm:
Gnads wrote on Apr 12th, 2022 at 6:30pm:
freediver wrote on Apr 12th, 2022 at 6:19pm:
Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on Apr 11th, 2022 at 11:28pm:
Saying 'privatisation is good' over and over will not alter the fact that in every 'privatised' 'venture' the cost to the end user has gone up for a lower standard of service.

Crap.

Do you have any evidence at all for this?

It happens to be true. Don't know what world you're living in.

This isn't a religion Gnads. You need evidence. No matter how strongly you believe it yourself.

You haven't supplied any. Roll Eyes

"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It's only painful and difficult for others. The same applies when you are stupid." ~ Ricky Gervais

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #133 - Apr 13th, 2022 at 9:58am

SadKangaroo wrote on Apr 13th, 2022 at 9:08am:
Bobby. wrote on Apr 13th, 2022 at 8:13am:
Mr Sad,
Quote:

propaganda outlet.

You want to accuse me of being brainwashed, yet the "propaganda" you speak of is nothing but reporting of both sides.

You're so used to what you get from the likes of SkyNews that the ABC, sticking to their charter, is considered "propaganda" to you.

Just shows how far right you've gone without even realising it friend.

Each time the Libs hold enquires into the ABC, other than the last one that was not finished, they all come to the same conclusion, the ABC has abided by their charter and are not in fact a propaganda outlet.

Go look it up...

Facts over feelings mate.

No you're wrong -
The ABC pushed propaganda about how being a homosexual was OK -
always pushing gay rights -
that Covid vaccines were OK -
never had one story about vaccine injuries,
whenever a black person did a home invasion, a car jacking or a horrifying assault -
they would never mention their race-
it was always - " a youth" or some other euphemism.
They always follow the status quo of our wonderful democracy
without evidence that it's a one party state with 2 branches:
Labor and Liberal.

It's pure Govt. propaganda.
You have been sucked in.
Our media is highly controlled.

I spoke to a radio presenter once -
they have to go on a 4 day course before
they are allowed to speak on the radio -
to learn the Govt. line on everything -
good examples are as per the above.
They are not free to say whatever they want.

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #134 - Apr 13th, 2022 at 9:59am

Baronvonrort wrote on Apr 12th, 2022 at 8:32pm:
Dnarever wrote on Apr 12th, 2022 at 11:51am:
freediver wrote on Apr 11th, 2022 at 9:06pm:
Quote:
Typically not but it was the reason behind NSW's Labor's attempted power sell off.

Simply the NSW government could not afford the necessary upgrades and maintenance due to a long period of neglect.

So it isn't always the reason but it can be.

Just in case anyone has forgotten this little gem.

One case of a justified sell off.

Amusing how those against privatisation are all for getting solar panels and a battery.

I guess privatisation is only bad sometimes.  Smiley

How does that relate to privatisation or privatisation of public assets?

People pay for the solar to reduce the costs of the electricity generated by private enterprise providers.

Private enterprise hasn't reduced the costs ... it's increased them .... always has.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... 42
Send Topic Print