Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Re: privatisation
Reply #165 - Apr 13th, 2022 at 8:40pm

Dnarever wrote on Apr 13th, 2022 at 7:21pm:
freediver wrote on Apr 13th, 2022 at 5:45pm:
Quote:
As for the control of our water assets being a national security concern .... why wouldn't it be?

You can't turn everything into a national security issue. The Chinese government isn't going to run off with our sewage pipes.

A foreign invading power owning our water supplies no problem ?

They turn off the water and the country would stop in days maybe hours.

Same with telecom networks, power etc. Foreigners owning major critical infrastructure is not the best idea. Unless of course you are an Australian Liberal then the important question is how much will they pay - right ?

So we are all going to die of thirst because the Chinese buy our water supply and turn the taps off?

What if they block out the sun instead?

Quote:
Actually it had everything to do with it - the Chermans owned the dams - the Brits wanted to pork them up by breaking the dams, reducing power supply and flooding their industrial areas.

Still nothing to do with foreign ownership.

People who can't distinguish between etymology and entomology bug me in ways I cannot put into words.
IP Logged

Baronvonrort
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Modern Monetary Theory (MMT)
Reply #166 - Apr 13th, 2022 at 9:22pm

John Smith wrote on Apr 13th, 2022 at 5:12pm:
Baronvonrort wrote on Apr 12th, 2022 at 9:11pm:
We should privatise the ABC/SBS those who like it can buy shares in it. It will save taxpayers over a billion dollars a year. Why should those who don't watch it pay taxes for a small minority who don't want commercials to pay for it?

Crap. SBS and ABC provide local coverage for everyone, including in areas where private media would not bother.

That's more bullshit from a bullshitter.

With the internet people get coverage for what they want.

We should also sell off the remaining part of Telstra. People in remote areas aren't going to get copper cables to connect that's too expensive when they can use 4g/5g coverage.

Elon Musks starlink is  giving internet coverage which would be cheaper and quicker than waiting for Telstra to run copper lines into remote areas.

As for water lots of people still use rainwater tanks in rural areas they truck in water when tanks run dry.

The governments job is running the country they should sell off any business they're involved with.

Leftists and the Ayatollahs have a lot in common when it comes to criticism of Islam, they don't tolerate it.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #167 - Apr 13th, 2022 at 9:25pm

What if the Chinese start selling rainwater tanks? That's a national security issue, right there.

People who can't distinguish between etymology and entomology bug me in ways I cannot put into words.
IP Logged

Baronvonrort
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #168 - Apr 13th, 2022 at 9:28pm

Lisa Jones wrote on Apr 13th, 2022 at 10:14am:
SadKangaroo wrote on Apr 13th, 2022 at 12:21am:
freediver wrote on Apr 10th, 2022 at 7:53pm:
For far more fundamental reasons - the government should not be running these businesses in the first place.

The governments job is running the country it should not be involved with businesses.

We should privatise the ABC/SBS those who like it can buy shares in it. It will save taxpayers over a billion dollars a year. Why should those who don't watch it pay taxes for a small minority who don't want commercials to pay for it?

You're assuming the ABCs charter is to make money.

It's not, it's to provide a service.

If it's privatised all the biggest "loss" services will go, including new and radio that saves lives during emergencies and provides regional and rural Australia with news and information.

All the international services will go which helps bring the attention to Australia boosting many local markets, not just tourism.

If, like Telstra, the government legislate service obligations to these services and areas there will be demands of handouts for subsidies.

What's the point in privatising it in that case?

And would a privatised ABC still be bound by their charter, you know the one that required honesty in reporting which time and time again, investigation after investigation has shown to be fair, balanced and of the highest integrity?

If whoever buys it cannot control the narrative to further their own agenda, like Skynews, are unable to advertise and have to follow the Principles and Standards the ABC is currently bound to, nobody will buy it anyway...

Unless the ABC is destroyed it's not a profitable service.

And despite the slow shift to the right, that's the entire point of the notion of privatising the ABC, to destroy it because those who pull the strings of the conservative parties demand it, and the sheep are all to eager to follow orders.

Once again you're just full of utter shyte.

Let's take a closer look at the budget the ABC enjoys compliments of Scomo ie us!

We're all tightening our belt Post Covid yeah? No pay rises and everybody who is working is working a lot of unpaid overtime.

Meantime ABC gets an automatic handout of OVER a billion dollars each year!

Let's look at how responsible the ABC has been. For that we'll need to start with its Managing Director.

Exhibit A

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/business/media/abc-boss-david-anderson-pockets-...

ABC managing director David Anderson is now paid a salary of over $1 million.

2:23PM OCTOBER 23, 2021

Senior executives at the ABC ­enjoyed bumper salary increases in the past financial year, with the remuneration package of the managing director tipping over $1m and the news director pocketing a 36 per cent rise.

Sad Skip is a brainwashed leftie he said his mother in law told him to stop posting bullshit on the internet he should listen to her.

Selling the ABC/SBS isn't going to kill it if he had more than 2 bob to rub between his fingers he could buy shares in it.

The ABC/SBS should use advertising revenue to fund itself  like all the other media outlets instead of sucking over a billion dollars a year from the taxpayers teats.
« Last Edit: Apr 13th, 2022 at 9:46pm by Baronvonrort »  

Leftists and the Ayatollahs have a lot in common when it comes to criticism of Islam, they don't tolerate it.

IP Logged

Baronvonrort
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #169 - Apr 13th, 2022 at 9:29pm

freediver wrote on Apr 13th, 2022 at 9:25pm:
What if the Chinese start selling rainwater tanks? That's a national security issue, right there.

They would probably be cheaper than Aussie made ones quality control might be an issue.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #170 - Apr 13th, 2022 at 9:30pm

Baronvonrort wrote on Apr 13th, 2022 at 9:29pm:

They would probably be cheaper than Aussie made ones quality control might be an issue.

Sure, but if we ever got into a war with them, they would bomb them.

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #171 - Apr 14th, 2022 at 7:21am

Bobby. wrote on Apr 13th, 2022 at 11:49am:
Gnads wrote on Apr 13th, 2022 at 11:19am:
Bobby. wrote on Apr 13th, 2022 at 11:11am:
Gnads wrote on Apr 13th, 2022 at 10:53am:
So what? the obscene salaries of of CEO's & executives in private enterprise make the ABC managing directors salary look like a pittance.

You wanna get some perspective on that.

The Commissioner for Taxation Chris Jordan is on over $2million a year until 2024.

Our PM gets paid more than the president of the United States.
Senior Public servants get paid much more.
Guess what - it's all done with borrowed money.
That's communism for you -
if you're high up in the party you live like a King.

So the LNP are Communists now? A bigger idiot.

Our PM gets paid about the same as the US President.

PM - AU$549,000
Pres - AU $539,000

Hi idiot,
They are all communists pretending to be capitalists.

https://media.gab.com/cdn-cgi/image/width=720,quality=100/system/media_attachmen...

No 2nd prizes ....idiot.

They're all actually capitalists at heart.

"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It's only painful and difficult for others. The same applies when you are stupid." ~ Ricky Gervais

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #172 - Apr 14th, 2022 at 7:27am

John Smith wrote on Apr 13th, 2022 at 5:12pm:

Crap. SBS and ABC provide local coverage for everyone, including in areas where private media would not bother.

Your argument is stupid. You don't pay taxes for the ABC or SBS. You just pay taxes. Where it's spent is irrelevant. Its not like you would pay less taxes if they didn't fund the ABC. I don't want my taxes to go to the M5 or maintaining the Sydney harbour bridge or the Snowy Hydro scheme ... I certainly don't use them.

Imagine the chaos if everyone got to choose what their taxes paid for. The govt. would never be able to function
Cheesy Cheesy

The Barons statement is similar to the mantra when Telstra was privatised.

And as many of the Mum & Dad investors said at the time .....

"why would we buy shares in something we already own?"

"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It's only painful and difficult for others. The same applies when you are stupid." ~ Ricky Gervais

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #173 - Apr 14th, 2022 at 7:34am

Quote:
Your argument is stupid. You don't pay taxes for the ABC or SBS. You just pay taxes. Where it's spent is irrelevant.

Says people who like to spend other people's money.

Gnads wrote on Apr 13th, 2022 at 9:52am:
What is paid in taxes & for electricity there was no excuse for failure to maintain or be able to afford.

Correct. This is a good example of why the government has no place running these businesses. They make decisions that clearly make sense politically, but no private owner would ever make because they make no sense financially.

Quote:
As for the control of our water assets being a national security concern .... why wouldn't it be?

You can't turn everything into a national security issue. The Chinese government isn't going to run off with our sewage pipes.

Quote:
Why did the Brits send bombers into Europe to blow up dams during WW2?

I'm sure it had nothing to do with foreign ownership.

Quote:
You haven't supplied any.

Yes I have. We have been discussing it all through the thread.

Quote:
Private enterprise hasn't reduced the costs ... it's increased them .... always has.

So you keep mindlessly chanting Gnads. It would be easy enough to back up this claim, but you cannot, and you would not even know how.

Everything? Electricity generation & supply & infrastructure...... and water storage, supply & it's associated uses....

are but 2 ..................not everything.

I'm a consumer - I know what I pay for services..

nothing has become cheaper through privatisation.

As you keep chanting "business" is all about making money.

And they have been - making more & more & more. And it's never enough.

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #174 - Apr 14th, 2022 at 7:36am

freediver wrote on Apr 13th, 2022 at 8:40pm:
Dnarever wrote on Apr 13th, 2022 at 7:21pm:
Quote:

A foreign invading power owning our water supplies no problem ?

They turn off the water and the country would stop in days maybe hours.

Same with telecom networks, power etc. Foreigners owning major critical infrastructure is not the best idea. Unless of course you are an Australian Liberal then the important question is how much will they pay - right ?

So we are all going to die of thirst because the Chinese buy our water supply and turn the taps off?

What if they block out the sun instead?

Quote:
Actually it had everything to do with it - the Chermans owned the dams - the Brits wanted to pork them up by breaking the dams, reducing power supply and flooding their industrial areas.

Still nothing to do with foreign ownership.

Stupid statement

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #175 - Apr 14th, 2022 at 7:40am

Gnads wrote on Apr 14th, 2022 at 7:21am:
No 2nd prizes ....idiot.

Idiot - you are mistaken.
You think that under communism no one gets rich.
The opposite is true.
Communist Russia and China have mega rich oligarchs.
So do we in Australia.
We also have a one party communist state with 2 branches:
Labor and Liberal.

However - in the upcoming election
we may get a hung parliament with independents
holding the balance of power which could break
up the status quo and ruin their communist plans.

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #176 - Apr 14th, 2022 at 7:41am

Another stupid statement without relevance.

Just about everything is made in China & imported & sold here.

That's a stupid thing, being totally reliant on a foreign country especially as we've seen when they feel aggrieved things aren't going their way they decide to cut off supply.

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #177 - Apr 14th, 2022 at 7:43am

Bobby. wrote on Apr 14th, 2022 at 7:40am:
No 2nd prizes ....idiot.

The opposite is true.
So do we in Australia.
Labor and Liberal.

Oh shut up idiot.

Get ya tinfoil hat back on - you're emanating bs AGAIN.

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #178 - Apr 14th, 2022 at 7:46am

Gnads wrote on Apr 14th, 2022 at 7:43am:
Bobby. wrote on Apr 14th, 2022 at 7:40am:
No 2nd prizes ....idiot.

The opposite is true.
So do we in Australia.
Labor and Liberal.

Oh shut up idiot.

Get ya tinfoil hat back on - you're emanating bs AGAIN.

Even when you're presented with the truth
you continue in your state of denial.

Big Brother loves you very much and
he's glad you like his political system.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #179 - Apr 14th, 2022 at 7:47am

Gnads wrote on Apr 14th, 2022 at 7:34am:
Quote:
Your argument is stupid. You don't pay taxes for the ABC or SBS. You just pay taxes. Where it's spent is irrelevant.

Says people who like to spend other people's money.

Gnads wrote on Apr 13th, 2022 at 9:52am:
What is paid in taxes & for electricity there was no excuse for failure to maintain or be able to afford.

Correct. This is a good example of why the government has no place running these businesses. They make decisions that clearly make sense politically, but no private owner would ever make because they make no sense financially.

Quote:

Quote:
Why did the Brits send bombers into Europe to blow up dams during WW2?

I'm sure it had nothing to do with foreign ownership.

Quote:
You haven't supplied any.

Yes I have. We have been discussing it all through the thread.

Quote:
Private enterprise hasn't reduced the costs ... it's increased them .... always has.

So you keep mindlessly chanting Gnads. It would be easy enough to back up this claim, but you cannot, and you would not even know how.

Everything? Electricity generation & supply & infrastructure...... and water storage, supply & it's associated uses....

are but 2 ..................not everything.

I'm a consumer - I know what I pay for services..

nothing has become cheaper through privatisation.

As you keep chanting "business" is all about making money.

And they have been - making more & more & more. And it's never enough.

No you do not always know what you pay, especially when the government is running it.

You have no evidence at all.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 ... 42
Send Topic Print