Mianjin (Brisbane)
Re: Modern Monetary Theory (MMT)
Reply #180 - Apr 14th, 2022 at 7:58am

Baronvonrort wrote on Apr 13th, 2022 at 9:28pm:
Lisa Jones wrote on Apr 13th, 2022 at 10:14am:
SadKangaroo wrote on Apr 13th, 2022 at 12:21am:
Baronvonrort wrote on Apr 12th, 2022 at 9:11pm:
freediver wrote on Apr 10th, 2022 at 7:53pm:
For far more fundamental reasons - the government should not be running these businesses in the first place.

The governments job is running the country it should not be involved with businesses.

We should privatise the ABC/SBS those who like it can buy shares in it. It will save taxpayers over a billion dollars a year. Why should those who don't watch it pay taxes for a small minority who don't want commercials to pay for it?

You're assuming the ABCs charter is to make money.

It's not, it's to provide a service.

If it's privatised all the biggest "loss" services will go, including new and radio that saves lives during emergencies and provides regional and rural Australia with news and information.

All the international services will go which helps bring the attention to Australia boosting many local markets, not just tourism.

If, like Telstra, the government legislate service obligations to these services and areas there will be demands of handouts for subsidies.

What's the point in privatising it in that case?

And would a privatised ABC still be bound by their charter, you know the one that required honesty in reporting which time and time again, investigation after investigation has shown to be fair, balanced and of the highest integrity?

If whoever buys it cannot control the narrative to further their own agenda, like Skynews, are unable to advertise and have to follow the Principles and Standards the ABC is currently bound to, nobody will buy it anyway...

Unless the ABC is destroyed it's not a profitable service.

And despite the slow shift to the right, that's the entire point of the notion of privatising the ABC, to destroy it because those who pull the strings of the conservative parties demand it, and the sheep are all to eager to follow orders.

Once again you're just full of utter shyte.

Let's take a closer look at the budget the ABC enjoys compliments of Scomo ie us!

We're all tightening our belt Post Covid yeah? No pay rises and everybody who is working is working a lot of unpaid overtime.

Meantime ABC gets an automatic handout of OVER a billion dollars each year!

Let's look at how responsible the ABC has been. For that we'll need to start with its Managing Director.

Exhibit A

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/business/media/abc-boss-david-anderson-pockets-...

ABC managing director David Anderson is now paid a salary of over $1 million.

2:23PM OCTOBER 23, 2021

Senior executives at the ABC ­enjoyed bumper salary increases in the past financial year, with the remuneration package of the managing director tipping over $1m and the news director pocketing a 36 per cent rise.

Sad Skip is a brainwashed leftie he said his mother in law told him to stop posting bullshit on the internet he should listen to her.

Selling the ABC/SBS isn't going to kill it if he had more than 2 bob to rub between his fingers he could buy shares in it.

The ABC/SBS should use advertising revenue to fund itself  like all the other media outlets instead of sucking over a billion dollars a year from the taxpayers teats.

They cannot be impartial if they are beholden to advertisers, that's the whole point.

IP Logged

Lisa Jones
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Re: Modern Monetary Theory (MMT)
Reply #181 - Apr 14th, 2022 at 8:13am

Baronvonrort wrote on Apr 13th, 2022 at 9:28pm:
Lisa Jones wrote on Apr 13th, 2022 at 10:14am:
SadKangaroo wrote on Apr 13th, 2022 at 12:21am:
Baronvonrort wrote on Apr 12th, 2022 at 9:11pm:
freediver wrote on Apr 10th, 2022 at 7:53pm:
For far more fundamental reasons - the government should not be running these businesses in the first place.

The governments job is running the country it should not be involved with businesses.

We should privatise the ABC/SBS those who like it can buy shares in it. It will save taxpayers over a billion dollars a year. Why should those who don't watch it pay taxes for a small minority who don't want commercials to pay for it?

You're assuming the ABCs charter is to make money.

It's not, it's to provide a service.

If it's privatised all the biggest "loss" services will go, including new and radio that saves lives during emergencies and provides regional and rural Australia with news and information.

All the international services will go which helps bring the attention to Australia boosting many local markets, not just tourism.

If, like Telstra, the government legislate service obligations to these services and areas there will be demands of handouts for subsidies.

What's the point in privatising it in that case?

And would a privatised ABC still be bound by their charter, you know the one that required honesty in reporting which time and time again, investigation after investigation has shown to be fair, balanced and of the highest integrity?

If whoever buys it cannot control the narrative to further their own agenda, like Skynews, are unable to advertise and have to follow the Principles and Standards the ABC is currently bound to, nobody will buy it anyway...

Unless the ABC is destroyed it's not a profitable service.

And despite the slow shift to the right, that's the entire point of the notion of privatising the ABC, to destroy it because those who pull the strings of the conservative parties demand it, and the sheep are all to eager to follow orders.

Once again you're just full of utter shyte.

Let's take a closer look at the budget the ABC enjoys compliments of Scomo ie us!

We're all tightening our belt Post Covid yeah? No pay rises and everybody who is working is working a lot of unpaid overtime.

Meantime ABC gets an automatic handout of OVER a billion dollars each year!

Let's look at how responsible the ABC has been. For that we'll need to start with its Managing Director.

Exhibit A

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/business/media/abc-boss-david-anderson-pockets-...

ABC managing director David Anderson is now paid a salary of over $1 million.

2:23PM OCTOBER 23, 2021

Senior executives at the ABC ­enjoyed bumper salary increases in the past financial year, with the remuneration package of the managing director tipping over $1m and the news director pocketing a 36 per cent rise.

Sad Skip is a brainwashed leftie he said his mother in law told him to stop posting bullshit on the internet he should listen to her.

Selling the ABC/SBS isn't going to kill it if he had more than 2 bob to rub between his fingers he could buy shares in it.

The ABC/SBS should use advertising revenue to fund itself  like all the other media outlets instead of sucking over a billion dollars a year from the taxpayers teats.

Ahhh many thanks Baron for mentioning advertising.

Let's take a closer look at that. Sad Sack won't like this embarrassing fact either :

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/business/media/abcs-spending-on-advertising-has...

ABC’s spending on advertising has reached its highest levels in the past decade.

It is SPENDING ie bleeding money even there!

If I let myself be bought then I am no longer free.

HYPATIA - Greek philosopher, mathematician and astronomer (370 - 415)

IP Logged

Lisa Jones
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Re: privatisation
Reply #182 - Apr 14th, 2022 at 8:18am

Oh dear! Look at this!

https://www.smh.com.au/business/companies/no-advertising-on-the-abc-just-head-to...

No advertising on the ABC? Just head to YouTube

Australians who thought the Australian Broadcasting Corporation did not accept advertising can easily find brands like KFC, Cadbury and Twinings showing up around some of the public broadcaster’s content. All they need to do is head to YouTube.

IP Logged

Lisa Jones
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #183 - Apr 14th, 2022 at 8:19am

😐

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #184 - Apr 14th, 2022 at 9:34am

freediver wrote on Apr 14th, 2022 at 7:47am:
Gnads wrote on Apr 14th, 2022 at 7:34am:
freediver wrote on Apr 13th, 2022 at 5:45pm:
Quote:
Your argument is stupid. You don't pay taxes for the ABC or SBS. You just pay taxes. Where it's spent is irrelevant.

Says people who like to spend other people's money.

Gnads wrote on Apr 13th, 2022 at 9:52am:
What is paid in taxes & for electricity there was no excuse for failure to maintain or be able to afford.

Correct. This is a good example of why the government has no place running these businesses. They make decisions that clearly make sense politically, but no private owner would ever make because they make no sense financially.

Quote:
As for the control of our water assets being a national security concern .... why wouldn't it be?

You can't turn everything into a national security issue. The Chinese government isn't going to run off with our sewage pipes.

Quote:
Why did the Brits send bombers into Europe to blow up dams during WW2?

I'm sure it had nothing to do with foreign ownership.

Quote:
You haven't supplied any.

Yes I have. We have been discussing it all through the thread.

Quote:
Private enterprise hasn't reduced the costs ... it's increased them .... always has.

So you keep mindlessly chanting Gnads. It would be easy enough to back up this claim, but you cannot, and you would not even know how.

Everything? Electricity generation & supply & infrastructure...... and water storage, supply & it's associated uses....

are but 2 ..................not everything.

I'm a consumer - I know what I pay for services..

nothing has become cheaper through privatisation.

As you keep chanting "business" is all about making money.

And they have been - making more & more & more. And it's never enough.

No you do not always know what you pay, especially when the government is running it.

You have no evidence at all.

Grin

"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It's only painful and difficult for others. The same applies when you are stupid." ~ Ricky Gervais

IP Logged

Lisa Jones
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #185 - Apr 14th, 2022 at 11:13am

Oi! Sad Sack! This is where you're being pwned! Big time! You can't ignore this topic forever you know 😂

IP Logged

SadKangaroo
Gold Member

#FightStupid

Mianjin (Brisbane)
Reply #186 - Apr 14th, 2022 at 11:20am

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #187 - Apr 14th, 2022 at 12:47pm

In NSW the LNP 'government' first allowed the poles and wires to run down, then they gold-plated them in order to 'sell them off' to their mates for a song.

Now what you are discussing here. Poppets, is the valid reason why 'consolidated revenue' is a crook's game to move money from cash earning things into 'other' areas... and that is why money from such a 'venture' should be isolated from the grasping and incompetent hands of politicians with their own personal pockets to fill and those of their mates.

file:///C:/Users/begao/Downloads/The%20real%20cause%20of%20electricity%20price%2...

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #188 - Apr 14th, 2022 at 12:49pm

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

thegreatdivide
Gold Member

Australian Politics<br
/>

Reply #189 - Apr 14th, 2022 at 3:58pm

John Smith wrote on Apr 13th, 2022 at 7:25pm:

it's not your money dopey

Though freediver is a self-confessed ideological fraud  (admitted in his own post #24 in this thread) who mindlessly spouts Thatcher's ignorant nonsense re "other people's money" (as if she knew anything at all about the nature of money), you are also caught up in the current evil 'money as debt' system, which is why Albo is saying he can't lift the Job Seeker payment, despite Australia being in the top 10 wealthy countries in the world.  Pathetic.

In other words, you are as blind as freediver, who hi-jacked (from the Modern Monetary Theory
thread)  the discussion about money creation in the public sector as opposed to money creation by private banksters.

Likewise Lisa on the Right, and grappler on the Left (economically), you are all blinded by the current money as debt system.  Hence unending arguments re funding the ABC, or age care, or lifting the job seeker payment: Albo's latest comfirmation he will not lift it is a disgrace in an economy which cannot employ everyone.

(BTW, Menzies nearly lost government when the unemployment rate ticked up to 2.0% in 1960...gasp...in the days of Keynesian deficit spending.)

But it's pleasing at least to see that freediver is mostly being "done over like a dinner" in this 'privatization' thread (which he started  to divert the discussion from the issue of money creation).   

« Last Edit: Apr 14th, 2022 at 4:18pm by thegreatdivide »  

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #190 - Apr 14th, 2022 at 5:43pm

Gnads wrote on Apr 14th, 2022 at 9:34am:
Quote:
Your argument is stupid. You don't pay taxes for the ABC or SBS. You just pay taxes. Where it's spent is irrelevant.

What is paid in taxes & for electricity there was no excuse for failure to maintain or be able to afford.

Correct. This is a good example of why the government has no place running these businesses. They make decisions that clearly make sense politically, but no private owner would ever make because they make no sense financially.

Quote:
As for the control of our water assets being a national security concern .... why wouldn't it be?

You can't turn everything into a national security issue. The Chinese government isn't going to run off with our sewage pipes.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
Private enterprise hasn't reduced the costs ... it's increased them .... always has.

So you keep mindlessly chanting Gnads. It would be easy enough to back up this claim, but you cannot, and you would not even know how.

Everything? Electricity generation & supply & infrastructure...... and water storage, supply & it's associated uses....

No you do not always know what you pay, especially when the government is running it.

Grin

You cannot even tell us what your "personal experience" evidence is.

People who can't distinguish between etymology and entomology bug me in ways I cannot put into words.
IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #191 - Apr 14th, 2022 at 6:32pm

thegreatdivide wrote on Apr 14th, 2022 at 3:58pm:
John Smith wrote on Apr 13th, 2022 at 7:25pm:

it's not your money dopey

Though freediver is a self-confessed ideological fraud  (admitted in his own post #24 in this thread) who mindlessly spouts Thatcher's ignorant nonsense re "other people's money" (as if she knew anything at all about the nature of money), you are also caught up in the current evil 'money as debt' system, which is why Albo is saying he can't lift the Job Seeker payment, despite Australia being in the top 10 wealthy countries in the world.  Pathetic.

In other words, you are as blind as freediver, who hi-jacked (from the Modern Monetary Theory
thread)  the discussion about money creation in the public sector as opposed to money creation by private banksters.

Likewise Lisa on the Right, and grappler on the Left (economically), you are all blinded by the current money as debt system.  Hence unending arguments re funding the ABC, or age care, or lifting the job seeker payment: Albo's latest comfirmation he will not lift it is a disgrace in an economy which cannot employ everyone.

(BTW, Menzies nearly lost government when the unemployment rate ticked up to 2.0% in 1960...gasp...in the days of Keynesian deficit spending.)

But it's pleasing at least to see that freediver is mostly being "done over like a dinner" in this 'privatization' thread (which he started  to divert the discussion from the issue of money creation).   

Aye - the fault in your position is that you fail to see the impact on the ordinary person... the rest is just window dressing... all the money theories may be falsely based - go - tell it to the Spartans out there...

Gimme some real butter on that bagel...

― John Adams

IP Logged

thegreatdivide
Gold Member

Australian Politics<br
/>

Reply #192 - Apr 14th, 2022 at 7:19pm

Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on Apr 14th, 2022 at 6:32pm:
Gimme some real butter on that bagel...

What you call "real butter" is a delusion ("money as debt"), when it comes to the monetary system; and private banksters to whom the privilege of creating money is granted (by historical precedent)  are 'laughing all the way to the bank'.

So good luck supporting any policy requiring increased government spending; the "real butter" is cornered by the private banksters noted above. 

Just sayin'; so you won't  be too disappointed when the next parliament - with its hands tied by 'The Deficit Myth' (google it)  -  achieves absolutely no benefits for the low paid, the homeless, and the un/under-employed.    

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #193 - Apr 14th, 2022 at 7:45pm

freediver wrote on Apr 14th, 2022 at 5:43pm:
Gnads wrote on Apr 14th, 2022 at 9:34am:
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Grin

You cannot even tell us what your "personal experience" evidence is.

You must live in a vacuum.

"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It's only painful and difficult for others. The same applies when you are stupid." ~ Ricky Gervais

IP Logged

thegreatdivide
Gold Member

Australian Politics<br
/>

Reply #194 - Apr 14th, 2022 at 8:07pm

Adam Bandt demolishes a private profit above social well-being ideologue from News Corp, at the National Press Club on the 13th (yesterday):

Adam Bandt shuts down a journalist's 'gotcha' question at the Press Club

https://dai.ly/x89y7dh

(15 secs. of electoral commission advert as the start)

Tingle scratching her nose at the end  is priceless ...Bandt striking a bit 'close to home', perhaps..
« Last Edit: Apr 14th, 2022 at 8:22pm by thegreatdivide »  

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 ... 42
Send Topic Print