Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 ... 42
Send Topic Print
privatisation (Read 27706 times)
John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: privatisation
Reply #330 - Jul 28th, 2022 at 10:36am

just how retarded does one need to be to compare energy provision with growing food? Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #331 - Jul 28th, 2022 at 11:43am

Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on Jul 28th, 2022 at 12:12am:
Gnads wrote on Jul 27th, 2022 at 6:15pm:
freediver wrote on Jul 27th, 2022 at 5:49pm:
So energy is a natural monopoly because everyone needs it, but food is not a natural monopoly because you can grow your own?

Can someone translate your gibberish into plain English?

How about your gibberish about "natural" monopolies?

Govt monopolies on essential services is good.

Private enterprise monopolies or private competition on essential services is bad.

It has not in all the years it's been allowed reduced the costs of provision of essential services to any consumer.

False equation right there - comparison is between government monopoly on essential service and private monopoly on essential service.  Clearly government charges less for the same service...

When you add in 'private competition' with a cartel who represent to the government that is also a major shareholder for rises in prices - who ya gonna believe?  When it's in the government's benefit as shareholders, of course they will raise the prices.

That's why there should be NO shareholders in essential services.

Isn't that basically what I was saying?

And yes ...there should be no shareholders in essential services.

"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It's only painful and difficult for others. The same applies when you are stupid." ~ Ricky Gervais

IP Logged

thegreatdivide
Gold Member

Australian Politics<br
/>

Reply #332 - Jul 28th, 2022 at 12:50pm

freediver wrote on Jul 28th, 2022 at 6:51am:
Dnarever wrote on Jul 27th, 2022 at 10:06pm:
freediver wrote on Jul 27th, 2022 at 6:38am:
Quote:
Everyone in our current society needs it - so yes, it is.

Is food also a natural monopoly?

Food is a group of products produced by thousands of providers and does not typically operate like a service. It is by nature the opposite to a monopoly.

And yet everyone needs it, which is the only explanation given for why energy is a natural monopoly.

Need is not the sole "reason for a natural monopoly", provision also must be considered.

You ignore the comment made ie Food is a group of products produced by thousands of providers ; and in effect  claim equivalence with electricity production merely because "everyone needs electricity", (just as everyone needs food). 

You have to demonstrate equivalence - eg growing strawberries or cucumbers or wheat -   with electricity production, to support your erroneous private profit-seeking privatization ideology.

Quote:
Am I right that no two people here can give the same answer?

What all can see is the egregious fallacy of your privatization ideology. 

IP Logged

Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Reply #333 - Jul 28th, 2022 at 1:33pm

Quote:

Food is a group of products produced by thousands of providers and does not typically operate like a service. It is by nature the opposite to a monopoly.

And yet everyone needs it, which is the only explanation given for why energy is a natural monopoly.

Yet you do not have 45 power cables leading into your home. The vast majority of people have one set of cables that were provided on the one network built and provided by what was a monopoly government provider.

None of the other retailers have any capacity to actually deliver power. The only thing they provide is profits to their share holders. You also do not have 17 gas pipes running into your home again it was a government monopoly built and Australian citizen paid asset.

We seem to have given away these valuable assets to commercial interests at our disadvantage free of any charge.

Many Australian power retailers produce no power and deliver no power. They just exist so that we can pay them.

IP Logged

Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Reply #334 - Jul 28th, 2022 at 1:35pm

There is no existing example of a successful Australian privatisation.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #335 - Jul 28th, 2022 at 5:48pm

John Smith wrote on Jul 28th, 2022 at 10:36am:
just how retarded does one need to be to compare energy provision with growing food? Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Classic John Smith. You cannot compare things if they are different.

Cheesy

Dnarever wrote on Jul 28th, 2022 at 1:33pm:
Quote:

Yet you do not have 45 power cables leading into your home. The vast majority of people have one set of cables that were provided on the one network built and provided by what was a monopoly government provider.

None of the other retailers have any capacity to actually deliver power. The only thing they provide is profits to their share holders. You also do not have 17 gas pipes running into your home again it was a government monopoly built and Australian citizen paid asset.

We seem to have given away these valuable assets to commercial interests at our disadvantage free of any charge.

Many Australian power retailers produce no power and deliver no power. They just exist so that we can pay them.

You do realise that the energy and the distribution network are different products, easy to separate, and most economies have already separated them... right?

Quote:
That's why there should be NO shareholders in essential services.

Pure crap. Food distribution is an essential service. When the Chinese nationalised it, 50 million people starved to death unnecessarily.

People who can't distinguish between etymology and entomology bug me in ways I cannot put into words.
IP Logged

Karnal
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #336 - Jul 28th, 2022 at 5:53pm

freediver wrote on Apr 11th, 2022 at 9:20am:
Because their management is too heavily influenced by politics. If you look at the workplace culture of state owned enterprises compared to privately owned ones it is always the same thing - unproductive, unmotivated.

A competitive marketplace will deliver the goods cheaper. Ultimately, it is for the same reason why capitalist economies are so much wealthier than the communist ones. Communism gives you an idea of what happens when the government controls all the businesses. So unless there is a sound economic reason - that is, a condition that makes a market failure both inevitable and worse than the alternative of government ownership - democratic governments around the world have been steadily unloading state owned assets.

Which industries do you consider to be a matter of national security?

All management is influenced by politics. Nearly all government corporations are run under corporate protocols. Why should share ownership make a hoot of difference?

Are you talking about board members? Governance? What?

I'm curious. Your case is yet to be made with any compelling examples.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #337 - Jul 28th, 2022 at 5:55pm

Quote:
All management is influenced by politics. Nearly all government corporations are run under corporate protocols. Why should share ownership make a hoot of difference?

Shareholders are generally motivated by profit, not politics. People like me who play the sharemarket for the good of humanity are the exception, not the rule.

People who can't distinguish between etymology and entomology bug me in ways I cannot put into words.
IP Logged

Karnal
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #338 - Jul 28th, 2022 at 6:17pm

Dnarever wrote on Jul 28th, 2022 at 1:35pm:
There is no existing example of a successful Australian privatisation.

There are few examples of successful foreign government privatisations.

British Rail shares have ended up in the hands of foreign European governments. Train travel in the UK now costs a fortune, and no one's raving about the service. Good luck writing to your local MP.

You'd do better writing to the German government, who have a stake.

In comparison, Sydney Transport is owned by the state of NSW. NSW Government Railways were the first public railway in the British Empire. Today, it runs under a corporate business model and a NSW minister is tasked with administering it. The difference to Mother's British Rail?

Cost. Sydney Transport is able to deliver cheaper travel because it's not ferreting dividends off to Kraut pension funds. Both networks run on best-practice rail standards and a corporate business model. Both are monopolies. One, however, delivers a cheaper service to the consumer, and it's owned by a government.

FD is yet to make his case.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #339 - Jul 28th, 2022 at 6:22pm

My case is that DNA is dribbling crap. I made it by quoting him.

Do either of you know how to go about checking whether he is telling the truth?

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #340 - Jul 28th, 2022 at 7:09pm

freediver wrote on Jul 28th, 2022 at 5:48pm:

they're not even remotely similar dumarse. Anyone can grow and sell food. Even you. All they need is a plot of land.

If I want to sell power to the grid you have no options. There is only one line to the house and only one company controlling it.

how about you try something comparable to energy instead of the most ridiculous comparison you can make. Or are you worried that if you stick to something comparable your argument falls flat on it's face?

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

Karnal
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #341 - Jul 28th, 2022 at 7:50pm

freediver wrote on Jul 28th, 2022 at 6:22pm:
My case is that DNA is dribbling crap. I made it by quoting him.

Do either of you know how to go about checking whether he is telling the truth?

I do. You have not refuted him. Thus, the power of his truth is greater than yours.

Unless, of course, you would like to provide your own case. We may then have a comparison.

Would you care to offer your own thoughts?

Sometimes a question is just a question.

IP Logged

Karnal
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #342 - Jul 28th, 2022 at 8:33pm

Another case is the state broadcasters, the ABC and BBC, formed in a time when propaganda was seen as a good thing, before Goebels made it a dirty word.

Both, by most measures, provide the best news in their respective markets. Both are government owned. Both are corporatised, with the BBC achieving its mission by selling advertising.

Both are managed by boards, with minimal government intervention, beyond board appointments, funding and legislated charters.

Unlike the railways, these broadcasters are not monopolies. They compete for viewers and, in the BBC's case, ad revenue.

Would their services be any different if privatised?

That's a question.

The Guardian, similarly independent, is owned by a private trust. It has similar independent editorial policies to the above two broadcasters, and is committed to providing a free online service to readers. Like the ABC and BBC, content is not swayed by any owners or advertisers. It provides a totally independent news service, showing that ownership, be it state or private, does not need to play a role if a governance structure is established that places the interests of consumers at the forefront.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #343 - Jul 28th, 2022 at 9:08pm

John Smith wrote on Jul 28th, 2022 at 7:09pm:
freediver wrote on Jul 28th, 2022 at 5:48pm:

they're not even remotely similar dumarse. Anyone can grow and sell food. Even you. All they need is a plot of land.

If I want to sell power to the grid you have no options. There is only one line to the house and only one company controlling it.

how about you try something comparable to energy instead of the most ridiculous comparison you can make. Or are you worried that if you stick to something comparable your argument falls flat on it's face?

What company is that?

IP Logged

Karnal
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #344 - Jul 29th, 2022 at 8:08am

Frank wrote on Jun 8th, 2022 at 1:10pm:
Transferring a public monopoly to a private monopoly makes no sense.

But transferring a public company sheltered from the need to be efficient to the competitive private sphere where it needs to compete - that makes eminent sense.
The public can still set some controls, such as mandated domestic reserves of gas, or nob-transferability to foreigners or other measures.

Just so, as every Chicago schoolboy economist knows.

Nob-transferability may or may not be a moot point, no?

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 ... 42
Send Topic Print