Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Re: privatisation
Reply #435 - May 21st, 2024 at 1:15pm

thegreatdivide wrote on May 21st, 2024 at 1:01pm:
freediver wrote on May 21st, 2024 at 12:47pm:
Quote:
Er .....costs + profit = more than costs.

The CCP managed to starve 50 million people to death without making any profit at all.

The CCP learned from its mistakes, changed course  and created the largest productive capacity in the world.

Do try to keep up.

meantime: costs + profit = higher costs for consumers...no wonder you are desperately diverting from the topic (ironic, since you imagined you  changed the topic of the 'privatization' thread.....] 

Why did it have to starve 50 million people to death, and kill about another 50 million people, in order to learn what everyone else already knew?

People who can't distinguish between etymology and entomology bug me in ways I cannot put into words.
IP Logged

aquascoot
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #436 - May 21st, 2024 at 1:29pm

Quote:

The CCP managed to starve 50 million people to death without making any profit at all.

The CCP learned from its mistakes, changed course  and created the largest productive capacity in the world.

Do try to keep up.

meantime: costs + profit = higher costs for consumers...no wonder you are desperately diverting from the topic (ironic, since you imagined you  changed the topic of the 'privatization' thread.....] 

became productive by backing PRIVATE individuals and entrepreneurs.  ie  capitalism at its finest

When it comes to birthing unicorns, China is fertile territory. Trailing second only to the US, China boasts 316 unicorns, up 15 in just one year (2022) and a staggering 50% since pre-Covid days.2 May 2023

IP Logged

thegreatdivide
Gold Member

Australian Politics<br
/>

Reply #437 - May 21st, 2024 at 1:51pm

freediver wrote on May 21st, 2024 at 1:15pm:
Quote:

Do try to keep up.

Why did it have to starve 50 million people to death, and kill about another 50 million people, in order to learn what everyone else already knew?

sigh - I even have to deal with the pathetic diversions from  this blind ideologue's crippled brain, even after he can't admit he lost the "privatization" debate. 

'Nobody else' - not even Marx -  knew how to lift a civil-war and poverty-ravaged nation of close to a billion people  out of absolute agrarian subsistence poverty and chaos.

Do try to keep up.

IP Logged

thegreatdivide
Gold Member

Australian Politics<br
/>

Reply #438 - May 21st, 2024 at 2:02pm

aquascoot wrote on May 21st, 2024 at 1:29pm:
Quote:

Do try to keep up.

became productive by backing PRIVATE individuals and entrepreneurs.  ie  capitalism at its finest

Yes, but now the limits of the free market are revealing themselves, in both China ....and the US where  the economic stress experienced by half the population is resulting in political madness and hyperpartisanship.

Quote:
When it comes to birthing unicorns, China is fertile territory. Trailing second only to the US, China boasts 316 unicorns, up 15 in just one year (2022) and a staggering 50% since pre-Covid days.2 May 2023

Yes, and the CCP is also determined to overcome free market catastrophies like the Evergrande disaster, in the government's  quest for common prosperity. 
« Last Edit: May 21st, 2024 at 2:07pm by thegreatdivide »  

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #439 - May 21st, 2024 at 2:22pm

thegreatdivide wrote on May 21st, 2024 at 1:51pm:
freediver wrote on May 21st, 2024 at 1:15pm:
Quote:

Do try to keep up.

sigh - I even have to deal with the pathetic diversions from  this blind ideologue's crippled brain, even after he can't admit he lost the "privatization" debate. 

'Nobody else' - not even Marx -  knew how to lift a civil-war and poverty-ravaged nation of close to a billion people  out of absolute agrarian subsistence poverty and chaos.

Do try to keep up.

LOL. Of course Marx would have been the last to know. You know he died several decades before the CCP even existed don't you?

China was only "civil war ravaged" because the CCP slaughtered about 20 million Chinese people in their effort to overthrow the government. Pausing only to let the Japanese army rape and pillage their way across China in WWII, while the government they were trying to overthrow did all the fighting.

People who can't distinguish between etymology and entomology bug me in ways I cannot put into words.
IP Logged

SadKangaroo
Gold Member

#FightStupid

Mianjin (Brisbane)
Reply #440 - May 21st, 2024 at 3:38pm

freediver wrote on May 21st, 2024 at 11:07am:
Quote:
Water & electricity generation & supply should not ever be in the hands of "private enterprise".

Why not?

Quote:
The moment you privatise that, the priority is to deliver the bare minimum service

What makes you think that?

Evidence.

Privatisation can work, it's not always a bad thing, but that requires proper regulatory oversight, which eats into profits and is always fought against, usually citing some coloured tape or "big government" as the means to mobilise the population to support actions that are not in their best interests.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #441 - May 21st, 2024 at 3:40pm

SadKangaroo wrote on May 21st, 2024 at 3:38pm:
Quote:
Water & electricity generation & supply should not ever be in the hands of "private enterprise".

Why not?

Quote:
The moment you privatise that, the priority is to deliver the bare minimum service

Evidence.

Privatisation can work, it's not always a bad thing, but that requires proper regulatory oversight, which eats into profits and is always fought against, usually citing some coloured tape or "big government" as the means to mobilise the population to support actions that are not in their best interests.

What evidence? There is a clear trend that the more privatisation, the better. I think you mistake your inability to understand what you see for evidence.

IP Logged

SadKangaroo
Gold Member

#FightStupid

Mianjin (Brisbane)
Re: Modern Monetary Theory (MMT)
Reply #442 - May 21st, 2024 at 3:53pm

aquascoot wrote on May 21st, 2024 at 12:22pm:
SadKangaroo wrote on May 21st, 2024 at 10:24am:
Gnads wrote on May 20th, 2024 at 3:00pm:
freediver wrote on Apr 10th, 2022 at 7:53pm:
For far more fundamental reasons - the government should not be running these businesses in the first place.

It is not a panacea to everything and small to corporate businesses go belly up everyday.

Why do they fail?

It depends on what your goal is.

To me, the goal of providing an essential service, like power, water, health and even the Internet these days, is a focus on providing the service and the positive outcomes those services deliver.

The moment you privatise that, the priority is to deliver the bare minimum service, for the highest price at the lowest cost to the business.

The level of service reduced to what is considered the absolute minimum required by regulatory standards IF any even exist, and innovation focuses on cost-cutting and efficiency, not on improving the service.

Those who think the Government shouldn't be running businesses are purely ideologically based.

There are no good outcomes to privatisation where the result is we have to pay more for less and in the cases of vital services, when things go wrong our tax dollars have to bail them out.

We should not be incentivising turning the people into commodities when it comes to basic needs just to transfer wealth to those who donate the most to politicians.

absolute crap

almost everything that functions well

your car, your iphone, your lap top, your local supermarket , your petrol station, your bakery, your milk supply , your entertainment be it football or horse racing

is run seamlessly and well by PRIVATE industry

almost everything that is a cock up

your public schools, your casualty departments, your court system, your response to fire ants , your olympics , your roads (apart from our smooth tollways), your hospital ramping and public transport

is run hopelessly inefficiently by PUBLIC government over complicated , over bureaucratised, paper shuffling, empire building, unaccountable public servants .

the more we privatise the better off we are

ask russia or venezuela  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

All you're doing is shifting the unaccountability elsewhere.

Everytime vital infrastructure or services are privatised and the regulations around them are watered down as always happens, either as part of the initial negotiation or over time, it leads to worse service levels, higher prices or government protected private monopolies.

And when those fail because they don't have the guard rails to prevent them from the sort of behaviour that lead to the GFC, what then?

We have to pay to bail them out.

Perhaps in say the US, when all the banks screwed up with their subprime mortgages, the Government shouldn't have bailed them out and instead paid peoples mortgages instead..?

They're private businesses after all, let them fail, but protect the people instead..?

Look at the privatised port authorities... Huge profits but higher prices for shipping with no improvements in processing, in most cases those times have blown out.

All someone else's fault of course.  Unaccountable and blame shifting, again.

And who pays the price for the delays and the overall increases in shipping costs?

Oh right, we do.

Vital services are about providing the service.  When you privatise them, the first thing to change is that it's no longer about service delivery, but the profit motive guiding all their decisions.

It changes from public interest to private interest. 

Yes, the provision of public services doesn't have an interest in the public, but instead profit.

And you want to talk about reduced accountability...!?  Privatised entities are not as accountable to the public as government-run services. This can lead to less transparency and responsiveness to public needs and complaints.

Privatisation of electricity networks in some states has been linked to rising prices and questionable improvements in service reliability, as in none.

But again, we find excuses to shift the blame elsewhere.

Where is that accountability again?

Scoot, I have to know, are you in favour of the sort of highly government-regulated safeguards that would be needed to make privatisation work, or are you an unbridled small government "the private sector do it better" fanatic?

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #443 - May 21st, 2024 at 4:02pm

Quote:
Everytime vital infrastructure or services are privatised and the regulations around them are watered down as always happens, either as part of the initial negotiation or over time, it leads to worse service levels, higher prices or government protected private monopolies.

Do you have any evidence for this? Or just endless hot air?

IP Logged

SadKangaroo
Gold Member

#FightStupid

Mianjin (Brisbane)
Reply #444 - May 21st, 2024 at 4:09pm

freediver wrote on May 21st, 2024 at 3:40pm:
Quote:

Why not?

Quote:

Evidence.

What evidence? There is a clear trend that the more privatisation, the better. I think you mistake your inability to understand what you see for evidence.

• Water services in South Australia
  • Melbourne's train and tram networks
  • Sydney's Cross City Tunnel and Lane Cove Tunnel
  • Electricity networks in Victoria and South Australia
  • Privatisation and deregulation of aged care services
  • Privatisation of vocational education and training (VET) providers
  • Privatisation of prison services in various states, including Victoria and New South Wales
  • Partial privatisation and outsourcing of hospital services in Queensland and New South Wales
  • Telstra privatisation led to service quality issues, higher costs for consumers, market dominance and competition issues and customer service decline

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #445 - May 21st, 2024 at 4:16pm

SadKangaroo wrote on May 21st, 2024 at 4:09pm:
freediver wrote on May 21st, 2024 at 3:40pm:
Quote:

Why not?

Quote:

Evidence.

• Privatisation of prison services in various states, including Victoria and New South Wales
  • Partial privatisation and outsourcing of hospital services in Queensland and New South Wales
  • Telstra privatisation led to service quality issues, higher costs for consumers, market dominance and competition issues and customer service decline

That is a list. It is not evidence. I expect you can probably vent endless hot air about this. But that is all it is.

In fact it is such a short list that it is easier to interpret it as evidence that you are wrong.

IP Logged

SadKangaroo
Gold Member

#FightStupid

Mianjin (Brisbane)
Reply #446 - May 21st, 2024 at 4:20pm

freediver wrote on May 21st, 2024 at 4:16pm:
That is a list. It is not evidence. I expect you can probably vent endless hot air about this. But that is all it is.

In fact it is such a short list that it is easier to interpret it as evidence that you are wrong.

I'm not going to list every single example, but of those I know about off the top of my head since I've been talking about this with a friend recently, here is more info from those above:

SadKangaroo wrote on May 21st, 2024 at 4:09pm:

An inquiry by the South Australian Parliament in 2018 highlighted that the privatisation of water services had resulted in higher costs for consumers without corresponding improvements in service quality. The Essential Services Commission of South Australia also noted ongoing concerns about the pricing and performance of privatised water services.

Quote:

A report by the Victorian Auditor-General's Office in 2005 found that the privatisation had not achieved the expected service improvements and that the state had to intervene financially to support the operators. Additionally, the public perceived a decline in service quality and increased fares, leading to significant criticism of the privatisation process.

Quote:

According to the NSW Auditor-General, the financial difficulties and high tolls of these projects highlighted the risks and challenges associated with privatising such infrastructure. The public's dissatisfaction with the cost of using these roads compared to the benefits received has been well-documented.

Quote:

A report by the Australia Institute found that electricity prices in Victoria and South Australia, where networks were privatised, were higher compared to other states where electricity infrastructure remained publicly owned. Furthermore, a study by the Grattan Institute indicated that privatisation had not delivered the promised efficiency gains and instead resulted in higher costs for consumers.

Quote:

The Royal Commission into Aged Care Quality and Safety, which delivered its final report in 2021, found widespread systemic failures in the aged care sector. It highlighted neglect, substandard care, and financial exploitation by some private providers. The Commission's findings indicate that the profit motive in privatised aged care has, in many cases, compromised the quality of care provided to elderly residents.

Quote:

The Australian Skills Quality Authority (ASQA) reported widespread non-compliance among private VET providers, resulting in low-quality education and training outcomes. A Senate inquiry in 2015 found that the rapid expansion of private VET providers, driven by profit motives, led to substandard training and exploitative practices, significantly undermining the integrity and effectiveness of the VET system.

Quote:

A report by the Victorian Auditor-General's Office in 2018 highlighted issues with the performance and cost-effectiveness of privately operated prisons. The report indicated that private prisons were more expensive and less effective in terms of rehabilitation compared to publicly operated prisons. Similar findings were reported in New South Wales, where private prisons experienced problems related to safety, staffing, and inmate management.

Quote:

The failed outsourcing of hospital services at the Royal North Shore Hospital in New South Wales in the early 2000s led to significant public outcry and eventual reversal of the privatisation initiative. Issues included deteriorating service quality, staff shortages, and increased patient complaints. In Queensland, the privatisation of some hospital services at the Royal Brisbane and Women’s Hospital faced similar criticism, with reports of reduced service quality and efficiency.

Quote:
  • Telstra privatisation led to service quality issues,

A report by the Australian National Audit Office (ANAO) in 2009 highlighted that the privatisation of Telstra led to mixed outcomes in terms of service delivery, with notable gaps in rural and remote regions compared to urban areas. The lack of incentives for a private entity to invest in less profitable areas contributed to this disparity.

Quote:
higher costs for consumers,

Studies and consumer reports have shown that the cost of telecommunications services, particularly fixed-line and broadband, increased following privatisation. The Australian Communications Consumer Action Network (ACCAN) has documented consumer concerns about affordability and value for money in the years following Telstra's privatisation.
« Last Edit: May 21st, 2024 at 4:25pm by SadKangaroo »  

IP Logged

SadKangaroo
Gold Member

#FightStupid

Mianjin (Brisbane)
Reply #447 - May 21st, 2024 at 4:20pm

Quote:
market dominance and competition issues,

The Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) has repeatedly raised concerns about Telstra's market dominance, noting that it has led to less competitive outcomes in some segments of the market. Reports and regulatory actions have focused on ensuring that Telstra does not misuse its dominant position to the detriment of consumers and competitors.

---------

These are all examples of privatisation leading to worse outcomes and we have had to pay for it, and it's by far a complete list.

Again, privatisation can work, BUT, it requires strong government regulation to avoid privatising profits and socializing losses and a sharp degradation of service delivery and innovation.

We tend not to get that when our assets are privatised because the lower IQ among us start to talk about Russia or Venezuela, or even socialism and communism.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #448 - May 21st, 2024 at 4:27pm

How is any of that evidence that people should not be able to have their own solar panels because it will somehow make the "service" worse?

IP Logged

Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Reply #449 - May 21st, 2024 at 4:34pm

freediver wrote on May 21st, 2024 at 12:11pm:
Dnarever wrote on May 21st, 2024 at 11:57am:
Quote:

Why not?

Quote:

Quote:

It's called history.

You can call it anything you like. Can you explain it? Or is it like a religion for you?

There are no known cases of privatisation in Australia where the customer or the people have benefited.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 28 29 30 31 32 ... 42
Send Topic Print