Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 42
Send Topic Print
privatisation (Read 27718 times)
Jovial Monk
Gold Member

Dogs not cats!

Re: privatisation
Reply #45 - Apr 11th, 2022 at 7:15pm

Private owners ONLY want profit and LOTS of it and STUFF improving the privatised (sold of cheap!) asset.

Geez, you are naive FD!

Get the vaxx! 💉💉

If you don’t like abortions ignore them like you do school shootings.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #46 - Apr 11th, 2022 at 7:18pm

You are a mindless parrot, chanting empty slogans.

People who can't distinguish between etymology and entomology bug me in ways I cannot put into words.
IP Logged

Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Reply #47 - Apr 11th, 2022 at 7:21pm

freediver wrote on Apr 11th, 2022 at 7:11pm:
Jovial Monk wrote on Apr 11th, 2022 at 7:07pm:
Because no reputable public utility would do such shoddy work. Because statements were made to that effect—all four feet should have been encased in a thick pad of concrete, not something you or I would do to secure a gatepost.

Maybe you should take the time and read up about that state-wide blackout?

I read that it was a once in 50 year storm. I grew with publicly owned electricity grids and blackouts happened after regular storms.

We have a once in a 100 year storm twice a year at present.

IP Logged

aquascoot
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #48 - Apr 11th, 2022 at 7:54pm

Jovial Monk wrote on Apr 11th, 2022 at 7:15pm:
Private owners ONLY want profit and LOTS of it and STUFF improving the privatised (sold of cheap!) asset.

Geez, you are naive FD!

incorrect.

the best things that keep getting improved are made by private companies

just look at smart phones and tv's.

every year they get better and better.

anything done by government is catastrophic and usually a failure.

what do people complain about most

public hospitals, teaching standards, public housing, delays at centrelink.

the private company delivers or the public dont support it.

the public company has a monopoly and the workers bounce out of bed, with the aim of spending as much time as possible gossipping at the water fountain

IP Logged

Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Reply #49 - Apr 11th, 2022 at 8:04pm

aquascoot wrote on Apr 11th, 2022 at 7:54pm:

Geez, you are naive FD!

incorrect.

the public company has a monopoly and the workers bounce out of bed, with the aim of spending as much time as possible gossipping at the water fountain

I have worked both public and private and universally found the opposite to be true.

IP Logged

Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Reply #50 - Apr 11th, 2022 at 8:07pm

Geez, you are naive FD!

incorrect.

Quote:

Nobody is saying that manufactured products should be privatised or would be done better. This is driven by profit. While there are huge problems in this type of manufacturing it is outside of this topic. None of these industries were ever public companies and there has never been any intention to privatise them.

IP Logged

Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Reply #51 - Apr 11th, 2022 at 8:16pm

Geez, you are naive FD!

incorrect.

Quote:

Untrue - Many government industries performed very well.

Public hospitals are mostly great and they along with Medicare keep the private system functioning. The Private medical system is highly subsidised by the government and Medicare as well as the government system taking on their excess load and functions that the private sector hospitals cannot.

Public schools are about the top standard with a select wealthy few able to attend the very top privates.

Privatisation in Telecommunications, banking, insurance, power etc have all been a disaster. The were all sold at a bargain basement price where the people (The owners never got value for money). Service standards dropped and cost escalated across the board. Privatisation has been an embarrassing corrupt failure in almost every case.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #52 - Apr 11th, 2022 at 8:26pm

Quote:
Nobody is saying that manufactured products should be privatised or would be done better. This is driven by profit. While there are huge problems in this type of manufacturing it is outside of this topic. None of these industries were ever public companies and there has never been any intention to privatise them.

Are you suggesting it is the history of an industry that should determine whether it is privatised?

Quote:
Public hospitals are mostly great and they along with Medicare keep the private system functioning. The Private medical system is highly subsidised by the government and Medicare as well as the government system taking on their excess load and functions that the private sector hospitals cannot.

Public schools are about the top standard with a select wealthy few able to attend the very top privates.

Privatisation in Telecommunications, banking, insurance, power etc have all been a disaster. The were all sold at a bargain basement price where the people (The owners never got value for money). Service standards dropped and cost escalated across the board. Privatisation has been an embarrassing corrupt failure in almost every case.

If public schools are so great, why are so many people willing to pay a small fortune to buy a private education for their children and forgo what the government offers them for free?

Same with health care.

All of your examples are meaningless gibberish. It is better because you say it is better, but you have obviously put no thought at all into the truth of what you are saying, or even how to identify the truth.

Take electricity for example. It is a commodity. It leaves no wiggle room for you to blurt out that public electricity is of better quality than private. All we have is price and reliability. Both easily measured. For all the endless whinging about transferring electricity production to the private sector, why has no one presented a shred of objective evidence that it is actually worse?

People who can't distinguish between etymology and entomology bug me in ways I cannot put into words.
IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #53 - Apr 11th, 2022 at 8:50pm

In NSW EOY results a public school beat all the rest...

I get public health and it is excellent without all the payouts.

Electricity may be a commodity - but that commodity in public hands does not need to satisfy shareholders and rapacious robber barons who 'bought' it.  Price has almost trebled under 'privatisation' with a lower standard of service.

Etc, etc, etc.

A public utility does not have to feed shareholders, duplication of 'ceos' and 'board members' and staff, duplication of administration services, and anything else you can imagine.  It's called efficiency - when a staff of 50 people can handle phone calls in one public organisation - it takes 500 to answer the phones in an endless array of 'private' providers.  Add a recorded answering system that takes you nowhere and clearly service suffers.  Ever tried to get some simple information from 'Services NSW' these days?

It takes one 'ceo' to handle a public utility, and some senior staff - it takes as many 'ceos' etc as there are 'private providers.

It's an absolute no-brainer - it is not more efficient or cost effective - and the facts are there to see... so you are left ONLY with the ideological statement that government should not be in what is a national security business on behalf of the people and not of the leeches in private.

Basically it's all lies ......

P.S.  Don't bother waking Telstra The Private... I've sand-bagged around their terminal in my footpath that runs water into my yard and floods it and dug a ditch and put in a pipe at my expense to the gutter - now don't wake the council in its modern quasi-business style - the drains over the road are still clogged and if I'm flooded again as a result, hell will follow.  I also loaded up my ride on mower today and went down and cut the long grass on that T intersection that makes it dangerous because you can't bloody well see.  Thanks, council - I tried the whipper snipper but angina set in - 72 yos shouldn't be doing your pharken work.

You can stick your private enterprise model up your grass.....
« Last Edit: Apr 11th, 2022 at 9:04pm by Grappler Truth Teller Feller »  

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #54 - Apr 11th, 2022 at 8:52pm

Quote:

Is this the exception that proves the rule? This is yet another measure on which is would be dead simple to make an objective comparison. and you throw us an anecdote.

Quote:
Electricity may be a commodity - but that commodity in public hands does not need to satisfy shareholders and rapacious robber barons who 'bought' it.

Is that your objective for whether it "works" - whether people are allowed to profit from it? Are you suggesting you would not care if it cost more and was less reliable in public hands, so long as the potential owners were worse off financially?

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Modern Monetary Theory (MMT)
Reply #55 - Apr 11th, 2022 at 8:53pm

freediver wrote on Apr 11th, 2022 at 5:51pm:
John Smith wrote on Apr 11th, 2022 at 4:53pm:
freediver wrote on Apr 10th, 2022 at 8:36pm:
What would have been done differently if it was in the government's hands?

they most likely would have had some sort of contingency in place.

Ah. So if the government run the electricity grid, there would be a few backup power stations, just in case? Or a second set of power lines?

I doubt they needed either of those in SA. They just needed some back up switches.

But nevertheless, they would do whatever they needed. Unlike the private sector, it's all about the service instead of about maximising the profit

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #56 - Apr 11th, 2022 at 8:54pm

Quote:
I doubt they needed either of those in SA.

Did you not see Monk's anecdote about a pole that got blown over?

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #57 - Apr 11th, 2022 at 8:56pm

freediver wrote on Apr 11th, 2022 at 8:26pm:
If public schools are so great, why are so many people willing to pay a small fortune to buy a private education for their children and forgo what the government offers them for free?

because they drink the same cool aid you do.

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #58 - Apr 11th, 2022 at 8:56pm

Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on Apr 11th, 2022 at 8:50pm:

I get public health and it is excellent without all the payouts.

Electricity may be a commodity - but that commodity in public hands does not need to satisfy shareholders and rapacious robber barons who 'bought' it.  Price has almost trebled under 'privatisation' with a lower standard of service.

Etc, etc, etc.

About 10 years ago I needed a hernia operation.
The public hospital waiting list was 18 months but
my medical insurance with HBA got me done in only 10 days.
So in that case the Govt. service was no good.

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #59 - Apr 11th, 2022 at 8:57pm

freediver wrote on Apr 11th, 2022 at 6:28pm:
You have no idea what John meant do you?

That's OK, neither does John.

You obviously have no idea what anyone means

Our esteemed leader:

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 42
Send Topic Print