Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print
Gas stoves pollute homes, even with fan on (Read 4203 times)
Laugh till you cry
Gold Member

In your happy place
Gas stoves pollute homes, even with fan on
Apr 14th, 2022 at 1:45pm

Electric induction cooking seems the safest way to cook.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/science/gas-stoves-air-pollution-1.6394514

Quote:
After seeing how gas stoves pollute homes, these researchers are ditching theirs

Burning natural gas generates high levels of nitrogen oxides, linked to asthma in children
Emily Chung · CBC News · Posted: Apr 07, 2022 4:00 AM ET | Last Updated: April 8

There's been a movement among some scientists and celebrity chefs to switch from natural gas stoves to electric ones, given that the latter releases fewer indoor pollutants. (Tim Boyle/Getty Images)

Gas stoves produce more indoor air pollutants than even some scientists expect. After taking measurements, many of these researchers are switching to electric stoves — and warning the public about the health risks of cooking with gas.

When Tara Kahan took pollution readings inside homes after cooking with a gas stove in 2017 and 2018, the University of Saskatchewan chemist and her colleagues were surprised by both how high the levels of nitrogen oxides were and how long they lasted.

Exposure to nitrogen oxides, produced when gas is burned, is linked to respiratory problems such as asthma and decreased lung function, especially in children. For example, a 2013 meta-analysis of 41 studies found that children living in a home that used gas for cooking had a 42 per cent increased risk of having asthma.

Kahan's measurements found that not only did levels of nitrogen oxide pollutants sometimes exceed Health Canada guidelines for a one-hour exposure, but the pollutants often lingered for a couple of hours.

"It really took a long time to go away," said Kahan, associate professor and Canada Research Chair in Environmental Analytical Chemistry. "All of the researchers were pretty horrified."

Kahan immediately applied the new knowledge to her own life.

"After that, as soon as it was feasible, I switched from a gas stove to [electric] induction," she said.

She's not the only one.

Rob Jackson, professor of environmental sciences at Stanford University, co-authored a recent study that found gas stoves leak unexpectedly high levels of methane, a powerful greenhouse gas, even when they're off — and they generate significant levels of indoor air pollution.

What he found pushed him to work on electrifying his home too.

His gas stove has an electric oven, but it doesn't seem possible to swap out just the burners.

"I am reluctant to throw away a perfectly good electric oven," he said. "But we're going to do that."

The combined health and climate impacts of stoves are also starting to catch the attention of celebrity chefs, such as John Horne, Angus An and John Kung, who have become evangelists for electric induction stoves in a field where gas stoves were once considered an essential tool for anyone serious about cooking.

Gas stoves generate dangerous levels of indoor air pollution and leak climate-changing methane. Now, some chefs are endorsing this alternative. 3:08

Health impacts of gas stoves
Dr. Melissa Lem is a Vancouver family physician and president-elect of the Canadian Association of Physicians for the Environment. The group ran an ad campaign last year highlighting the negative health impacts of natural gas, including those linked to:

Pollution from natural gas extraction, such as birth defects and cancer.

Climate change caused by leaking methane, the main component in natural gas and a far more potent greenhouse gas than carbon dioxide.

Indoor air pollution from cooking with natural gas.

Lem noted that in 2015, Health Canada issued new residential air quality guidelines for nitrogen dioxide — one of several pollutants created when cooking with a gas stove — due to its negative health impacts.

"Most gas ranges in Canada do not even come close to meeting these air quality standards," she said. "And research shows that this can harm your health, like worsening asthma … in kids" or exacerbate chronic obstructive pulmonary disease in adults.

Lem added that nitrogen oxides aren't the only pollutants released when cooking on gas stoves — others include formaldehyde, nitric oxide and carbon monoxide, which can be deadly. 

Please don't thank me. Effusive fawning and obeisance of disciples, mendicants, and foot-kissers embarrass me.

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Gas stoves pollute homes, even with fan on
Reply #1 - Apr 14th, 2022 at 2:53pm

Naked flames in a house - especially a closed one remove oxygen from the air & replaces it with those other nasties.

Most homes that have gas via bottles are supplied with LPG.

I don't know what cities have a system of piped gas throughout the CBD & suburbs ... I thought all that old infrastructure had been removed ..... it certainly has in my city. All bottled LPG.

So who is using not so "natural" gas? aka CSG.

"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It's only painful and difficult for others. The same applies when you are stupid." ~ Ricky Gervais

IP Logged

Jovial Monk
Gold Member

Dogs not cats!

Reply #2 - Apr 14th, 2022 at 2:59pm

Adelaide has natural gas supplied via “pipes” under the ground.

Get the vaxx! 💉💉

If you don’t like abortions ignore them like you do school shootings.

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #3 - Apr 14th, 2022 at 3:04pm

How can fumes build up in a kitchen if you have
an air extractor fan on directly above your gas stove
which you use whenever you cook?

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #4 - Apr 14th, 2022 at 7:50pm

Jovial Monk wrote on Apr 14th, 2022 at 2:59pm:
Adelaide has natural gas supplied via “pipes” under the ground.

If you knew anything about the methods of recovery of gas in any description ......

you would know it's not "natural".

"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It's only painful and difficult for others. The same applies when you are stupid." ~ Ricky Gervais

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #5 - Apr 14th, 2022 at 7:55pm

Bobby. wrote on Apr 14th, 2022 at 3:04pm:
an air extractor fan
on directly above your gas stove

If you have one, not everyone does you idiot.

And open wood fire places also remove oxygen from a closed house & replace it with carbon monoxide.

Pull your head out of your jacksie.

Quote:
gas fireplaces are one potential cause of carbon monoxide poisoning. While there are many potential sources of such exposure, including certain appliances and devices, motor vehicles and wood stoves, gas fireplaces are a common culprit.

https://www.gensecurity.com/blog/can-a-gas-fireplace-cause-carbon-monoxide-poiso...

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #6 - Apr 14th, 2022 at 7:59pm

Gnads wrote on Apr 14th, 2022 at 7:55pm:
an air extractor fan

And open wood fire places also remove oxygen from a closed house & replace it with carbon monoxide.

How dare you show disrespect like that for me.
You bloody troll - you should be banned.

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #7 - Apr 14th, 2022 at 8:26pm

Bobby. wrote on Apr 14th, 2022 at 7:59pm:
an air extractor fan

Guess what? .... I dare.

Take your own advice & ban yourself.

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #8 - Apr 14th, 2022 at 8:33pm

Gnads wrote on Apr 14th, 2022 at 8:26pm:
Bobby. wrote on Apr 14th, 2022 at 7:59pm:
an air extractor fan

Guess what? .... I dare.

Take your own advice & ban yourself.

I've never been to any house or flat that doesn't have
an extractor fan above the stove.
Where have you been - in a caravan?   Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #9 - Apr 14th, 2022 at 8:36pm

This plus my stove is right next to a 6m sliding door that stays open unless it's super windy.

https://www.winnings.com.au/p/miele-120cm-canopy-rangehood-da4228w

IBI

IP Logged

Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Reply #10 - Apr 14th, 2022 at 9:04pm

an air extractor fan

Quote:
gas fireplaces are one potential cause of carbon monoxide poisoning. While there are many potential sources of such exposure, including certain appliances and devices, motor vehicles and wood stoves, gas fireplaces are a common culprit.

https://www.gensecurity.com/blog/can-a-gas-fireplace-cause-carbon-monoxide-poiso...

Quote:
open wood fire places also remove oxygen from a closed house & replace it with carbon monoxide.

There should be a chimney with adequate ventilation.

IP Logged

AiA
Gold Member

Reply #11 - Apr 14th, 2022 at 9:41pm

Japanese use stand-alone gas heaters (cabinet heaters - banned in AUS) in their homes, particularly older buildings, and the fumes are horrendous. Older buildings are so drafty it doesn't matter as much but I have seen them in new buildings too.

“Jerry, just remember: It’s not a lie … if you believe it.” George Costanza
IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #12 - Apr 14th, 2022 at 9:44pm

AiA wrote on Apr 14th, 2022 at 9:41pm:
Japanese use stand-alone gas heaters (cabinet heaters - banned in AUS) in their homes, particularly older buildings, and the fumes are horrendous. Older buildings are so drafty it doesn't matter as much but I have seen them in new buildings too.

Whenever I go into crappy units in non white parts of town, whenever there's a place with no gas, they usually have a illegal bottle and burner.

IBI

IP Logged

Laugh till you cry
Gold Member

In your happy place
Reply #13 - Apr 14th, 2022 at 9:55pm

Gordon wrote on Apr 14th, 2022 at 8:36pm:
This plus my stove is right next to a 6m sliding door that stays open unless it's super windy.

The denizens of Chez Gordon face greater danger from the stupidity of Banana-fingers Haji Gordon.

I call bullsh1t on a 6 m sliding door which would be extremely heavy and require 12 m of space to accommodate it.

Please don't thank me. Effusive fawning and obeisance of disciples, mendicants, and foot-kissers embarrass me.

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #14 - Apr 14th, 2022 at 10:01pm

Laugh till you cry wrote on Apr 14th, 2022 at 9:55pm:
Gordon wrote on Apr 14th, 2022 at 8:36pm:

The denizens of Chez Gordon face greater danger from the stupidity of Banana-fingers Haji Gordon.

I call bullsh1t on a 6 m sliding door which would be extremely heavy and require 12 m of space to accommodate it.

4x1500 panels. My 5 year old can open or close them.

IBI

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print