Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print
Family ‘devastated’ at not guilty verdict (Read 2086 times)
Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Family ‘devastated’ at not guilty verdict
Jul 8th, 2022 at 9:40am

WHY?

A life is becoming less & less important.

These boys were guilty by association in that they aided & abetted the attack.

No wonder we have a problem with youth crime with violence.

Quote:
Family ‘devastated’ at not guilty verdict
LEA EMERY
THE devastated parents of fatally stabbed Gold Coast teenager Jack Beasley have pledged to continue their
campaign against knife crimes after three men were found not guilty over their son’s death.
Ma-Mal-J Toala, now 21, and two teens – now 18 – were found not guilty in the Supreme Court in Brisbane of
manslaughter and two counts of grievous bodily harm on Thursday.
Jack’s mother Belinda Beasley told The Courier- Mail her initial reaction to the verdict was “devastated”.
“Just to keep constantly hearing that ‘not guilty, not guilty, not guilty’,” she said.
Brett Beasley said: “It was heartbreaking.
“It was, absolutely.”
The acquittal came after more than a month of deliberation by Justice Soraya Ryan following a week-and-ahalflong trial in May.
It was alleged a group of five boys were in Surfers Paradise when Parkwood teen Jack was fatally stabbed near
the Surfers Paradise IGA on December 13, 2019.
One of Jack’s friends, also 17, was stabbed in the back and chest, leaving him with a punctured lung, it was
alleged.
The group was aged between 15 and 18 at the time and the four youngest cannot be named for legal reasons.
Ma-Mal-J Toala and two teens – aged 16 at the time of Jack’s death – pleaded not guilty on May 16 to
manslaughter and two counts of grievous bodily harm.
Toala, who was 18 at the time of the stabbing, and the two teens were acquitted on Thursday. The youngest –
who is now 17 – pleaded guilty on May 9 to murder and two counts of committing a malicious act with intent.
A second teen – now 19 – pleaded guilty in April to manslaughter and two counts of grievous bodily harm.
The two who pleaded guilty will be sentenced at a later date.
The Beasleys said they would continue their work with the Jack Beasley Foundation and campaigning against
knife crime.
“We are still concentrating heavily on the ‘detect knives, save lives’ thing that we do and ‘live your life without
a knife’,” Mr Beasley said.
“It’s just so important and I’d really love to see some sort of system, some sort of detection system being
introduced at Helensvale train station.”
Before acquitting Toala and the two other teens, Justice Soraya Ryan said: “This trial was all about whether any
of these three defendants could be held criminally responsible for the unexpected knife violence of their
accomplice.”
Outside of court, a lawyer for one of the teens Michael Gatenby said it had had an “immeasurable” effect on his
client and his family.
“They were young and it’s a tragic accident,” he said.
“Hopefully, if anything comes out of this it is that young people stop using knives in Surfers Paradise.”
Mr Gatenby said the three found not guilty were not the key players.
“These boys although they had been involved weren’t involved in the stabbing itself.”
During the trial in May, Toala’s barrister Catherine Morgan told the court her client’s involvement was limited
to striking a member of Jack’s group with a Gatorade bottle.
Ms Morgan said there could not have been a plan between Toala and the rest of the defendants as Toala did not
appear to interact with others.

"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It's only painful and difficult for others. The same applies when you are stupid." ~ Ricky Gervais

IP Logged

mothra
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Family ‘devastated’ at not guilty verdict
Reply #1 - Jul 8th, 2022 at 9:50am

Yet it was found in a court of law that they did not ais a abet the attack.

You want 3 kids to go down for something people they were with did?

If you can't be a good example, you have to be a horrible warning.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #2 - Jul 8th, 2022 at 10:43am

Quote:
These boys were guilty by association

The courts work on actual guilt.

People who can't distinguish between etymology and entomology bug me in ways I cannot put into words.
IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #3 - Jul 8th, 2022 at 11:22am

Gnads wrote on Jul 8th, 2022 at 9:40am:
These boys were guilty by association in that they aided & abetted the attack.

What crap.

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #4 - Jul 8th, 2022 at 6:32pm

.... you are hereby charged with being a Pacific Islander in a public place in company with a person carrying a concealed weapon of clear intent ...... how do you plead?

I knew three guys who did time for robbing a Pizza Hut delivery boy... one of them pulled a knife - the other two went down for it, too....... even though they reckoned they didn't know he had it or was going to do that.

Tougher in NSW ....

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #5 - Jul 8th, 2022 at 6:37pm

Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on Jul 8th, 2022 at 6:32pm:
.... you are hereby charged with being a Pacific Islander in a public place in company with a person carrying a concealed weapon of clear intent ...... how do you plead?

I knew three guys who did time for robbing a Pizza Hut delivery boy... one of them pulled a knife - the other two went down for it, too....... even though they reckoned they didn't know he had it or was going to do that.

Tougher in NSW ....

I'm sure it was as uncomplicated as that.

Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #6 - Jul 8th, 2022 at 6:52pm

Aussie wrote on Jul 8th, 2022 at 6:37pm:

Tougher in NSW ....

Roll Eyes

You seeing enemies on all sides now, Cane Toad Boy?  What IS wrong with some of you people?  I'm only going on what they said... Roll Eyes  Roll Eyes  Roll Eyes

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #7 - Jul 8th, 2022 at 7:32pm

Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on Jul 8th, 2022 at 6:52pm:

Tougher in NSW ....

Roll Eyes

You seeing enemies on all sides now, Cane Toad Boy?  What IS wrong with some of you people?  I'm only going on what they said... Roll Eyes  Roll Eyes  Roll Eyes

Shall I spend many hours posting here about the bullshit stories people have told me when they were trying to explain why they were wrongly convicted.....and even charged?

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #8 - Jul 8th, 2022 at 8:57pm

Aussie wrote on Jul 8th, 2022 at 7:32pm:

Tougher in NSW ....

Roll Eyes

Shall I spend many hours posting here about the bullshit stories people have told me when they were trying to explain why they were wrongly convicted.....and even charged?

Not at all!  But the simple fact is that only one had a knife.... the others either knew and were complicit or they did not know and were caught unawares - but all copped the penalty.

― John Adams

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #9 - Jul 8th, 2022 at 9:03pm

Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on Jul 8th, 2022 at 8:57pm:

Tougher in NSW ....

Roll Eyes

Not at all!  But the simple fact is that only one had a knife.... the others either knew and were complicit or they did not know and were caught unawares - but all copped the penalty.

You know for a fact that only one had a knife?

Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #10 - Jul 8th, 2022 at 9:08pm

Aussie wrote on Jul 8th, 2022 at 9:03pm:
Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on Jul 8th, 2022 at 8:57pm:

Tougher in NSW ....

Roll Eyes

You know for a fact that only one had a knife?

Roll Eyes

That's what they said... nobody said any different.

― John Adams

IP Logged

Bias_2012
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #11 - Jul 8th, 2022 at 9:14pm

Well let's hope the two who did do the stabbing get 15 years in jail with a non-parole period of 12 years

But as we know, they'll probably get a 3 year suspended sentence living back home with Mum and Dad ... especially if they are Islanders

Our Lives Are Governed By The Feast & Famine Variable

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #12 - Jul 8th, 2022 at 9:17pm

Bias_2012 wrote on Jul 8th, 2022 at 9:14pm:
Well let's hope the two who did do the stabbing get 15 years in jail with a non-parole period of 12 years

But as we know, they'll probably get a 3 year suspended sentence living back home with Mum and Dad ... especially if they are Islanders

Carrying a weapon is intent to use it - they should get life without and a possibility of release by the Crown at some unspecified date under strict conditions .... Aussie will know what that term is.......... consigliere - over to you...

― John Adams

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #13 - Jul 9th, 2022 at 11:48am

Push yer own barrow!

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #14 - Jul 9th, 2022 at 1:12pm

Lazy duffer...

― John Adams

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print