Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 63 64 65 66 67 ... 296
Send Topic Print
The truth about trans people (Read 99958 times)
Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Re: The truth about trans people
Reply #960 - Sep 30th, 2022 at 9:55pm

"The purposes of health care in general are to improve comfort, function, and life expectancy. And the purpose of mental health services is to influence feelings, thoughts, and behaviour.

What should people with gender dysphoria[1] consider when thinking about complex gender affirming[2] interventions?

First, gender affirming interventions pose immediate and continuing risk to life expectancy and function.

People who transition take supplemental hormones, estrogen or testosterone, which are not compatible with their biological sex. They are exposed to various risks including increased risks of breast cancer for men who take estrogens to transition to woman, and liver disease for men who transition to female. There is also evidence of temporary or even permanent sterility as a result of taking such hormones (National Health Service 2020).

Men who take estrogen for a male to female transition must also take other drugs, like spironolactone, to block the effect of testosterone. Spironolactone interferes with potassium metabolism and increases the risk of blood pressure and heart rate abnormalities, as well as muscle problems. Some transitioners choose to have their testicles removed to take lower doses of estrogen and avoid testosterone blockers. Not everyone responds to hormone disruptors in the same way. The absence of guiding research means it is not clear what measures clinicians should use to decide on the best dose or strategy for each person."
« Last Edit: Sep 30th, 2022 at 10:25pm by Grappler Truth Teller Feller »  

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #961 - Sep 30th, 2022 at 10:17pm

"Nor are hormones the only pharmaceutical intervention now raising concerns. The euphemistically named “puberty blockers” – more revealingly described by their correct name, “chemical castrators” – are available in Canada virtually on demand as soon as a minor indicates any interest in gender identity questions. These are not benign drugs but are associated with serious conditions such as early onset osteoporosis (Society for Evidence Based Gender Medicine 2021a). Furthermore, since the use of these drugs as puberty blockers is an off-label use, it is important to understand that no proper clinical trials have been carried out on this use of these drugs. Claims that they are inoffensive and their effects perfectly reversible at any time are not borne out by the information we do have about their effects, especially on young people whose bodies are still in development.

Countries such as Sweden and Finland have recently abandoned uncritical gender-affirming care for minors. According to one Swedish account:

This is a watershed moment, with one of world’s most renowned hospitals calling the “Dutch Protocol” experimental and discontinuing its routine use outside of research settings. According to the ”Dutch Protocol,” which has gained popularity in recent years, gender-dysphoric minors are treated with puberty blockers at age 12 (and in some interpretations, upon reaching Tanner stage 2 of puberty, which in girls can occur at age 8), and cross-sex hormones at the age of 16. This approach, also known as medical “affirmation,” has been endorsed by the WPATH “Standards of Care 7” guideline. (Society for Evidence Based Gender Medicine 2021b)."
« Last Edit: Sep 30th, 2022 at 10:27pm by Grappler Truth Teller Feller »  

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #962 - Sep 30th, 2022 at 10:18pm

"The experience is similar in Finland, where independent review established the lack of good evidence in favour of gender affirming care:

A year ago, the Finnish Health Authority (PALKO/COHERE) deviated from WPATH’s “Standards of Care 7,” by issuing new guidelines that state that psychotherapy, rather than puberty blockers and cross-sex hormones, should be the first-line treatment for gender-dysphoric youth. This change occurred following a systematic evidence review, which found the body of evidence for pediatric transition inconclusive.

Although pediatric medical transition is still allowed in Finland, the guidelines urge caution given the unclear nature of the benefits of these interventions, largely reserving puberty blocker and cross-sex hormones for minors with early-childhood onset of gender dysphoria and no co-occurring mental health conditions. Surgery is not offered to those [under] 18. (Society for Evidence Based Gender Medicine 2021c)"

― John Adams

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #963 - Sep 30th, 2022 at 10:21pm

"Second, transitions do not necessarily lead to better lives. Walt Heyer, a former transgender female wrote:

The reprieve I experienced through surgery was only temporary. Hidden underneath the makeup and female clothing was the little boy hurt by childhood trauma. I was once again experiencing gender dysphoria, but this time I felt like a male inside a body refashioned to look like a woman. I was living my dream, but still I was deeply suicidal. (Heyer 2019)

Imagine his resentment if his parents had encouraged doctors to do his transition before he had matured.

People considering transition should be asking tough questions about the proportion of people who benefit or are harmed from such transitions and medical practitioners have a professional duty to make their patients aware of these risks. Sadly, for youngsters such research has not been done, partly because the number of candidates for transition treatments is low and it is difficult to do an appropriate trial.

Curiously, outside the area of gender affirming care, physicians and regulators are themselves cautious and ambivalent about the use of even insignificant amounts of hormones to influence function and appearance.

Men wishing to take tiny amounts of anabolic steroids like testosterone to improve their appearance or athletic performance will have difficulty obtaining steroids from a doctor. Indeed, they might be forced to buy the drugs at their local gym or from a street vendor. The reason is that the medical establishment feels that even low doses of testosterone used for body sculpting might be harmful.

Women asking for estrogens are warned about the increased risk of some cancers and of cardiovascular disease.

The risk of harm from hormone therapy is the same whether the drug is obtained from street vendors, physicians, or pharmacists."

― John Adams

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #964 - Sep 30th, 2022 at 10:23pm

"Some people believe, as adults, they might be happier if they were not their birth sex. Bruce Jenner, the male Olympic athlete, who became the female actor Caitlyn Jenner, is one example and Chaz Bono, formerly Chastity Bono, transitioned from female to male. Fully informed adults under the care of competent professionals are entitled to make such choices and may feel the benefits outweigh the risks, although here again we lack the medical research and data to inform them properly about the consequences of these choices.

Conclusion

Motivated and consenting adults should have the freedom to choose how to live their lives. If clinicians are prepared to offer drug and surgical treatments for gender transition, patients should be free to have them. The regulators’ and lawyers’ responsibility is to evaluate whether clinicians gave the patients, who subsequently changed their mind, the information they needed to make an informed choice. If regulators agree with this rationale then people should be free to ask for and receive other drugs that they believe will improve their experiences, thoughts, feelings, and behaviour including hormones to modify appearance, and drugs, uppers, and downers, such as amphetamines or valium to alter their mood.

Adults and the parents of young children who want to change birth sex face a quandary. Doctors are free to opine on any topic, and many people blindly accept medical advice and recommendations. Most medical suggestions are based in science. Sometimes when science is insufficient, they are based on art. Advice about gender transition for youngsters is one example of such art too often masquerading as science.

When clinicians, making artful suggestions and constrained by conversion therapy bans not to communicate their complete thoughts, offer different and even contradictory conclusions, patients and parents are forced to choose between their opinions and must recognize that majority opinion does not rule. Historically doctors believed that many unscientific treatments were valuable. George Washington had bloodletting for a sore throat and died of anemia, others had radiation therapy for thyroid disease and died from cancer. Sadly, the list of harmful treatments that were widely accepted is not short.

In the face of evidence that some people change their minds, and the clear immediate harms from transition treatments, parents and doctors would be well-advised to support and respect children who claim they are a different gender from the one they were born with, understanding that that does not simply mean acquiescing uncritically in every demand for immediate transition. Professionals and parents should also be clear that some, but not all, people regret invasive and permanent transition treatments and should be advised that proxies (like parents) cannot make such decisions and that the child should wait until adulthood to consider transition and to get information that is current when they decide to explore transitioning.

― John Adams

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #965 - Sep 30th, 2022 at 10:24pm

"About the author

David Zitner is a retired family physician, former Professor in the Dalhousie University Faculties of Medicine and Computer Science and the founding director of the graduate program in Health Informatics.  He has contributed to the boards and advisory committees of a several Canadian health organizations, including the Canadian Medical Association and accreditation Canada. He has chaired the quality, utilization and other committees of the Halifax Infirmary, a major Canadian teaching hospital.  He has published in the popular press and in peer reviewed medical journals and was co-author of the Atlantic Institute for Market Studies Fisher prize winning papers “Operating in the Dark” and “Public Health: State Secret.”"

― John Adams

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #966 - Sep 30th, 2022 at 10:26pm

Frank wrote on Sep 30th, 2022 at 9:54pm:

Blame the drogs................

― John Adams

IP Logged

FutureTheLeftWant
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #967 - Sep 30th, 2022 at 10:45pm

My god, can this prick stop crying?

IP Logged

Captain Caveman
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #968 - Oct 1st, 2022 at 4:50am

FutureTheLeftWant wrote on Sep 30th, 2022 at 7:39am:
Captain Caveman wrote on Sep 29th, 2022 at 8:12pm:
It's fashionable to live a fetish in this day and age.
The movement is getting the attention they so badly crave.

Being gay or trans is not a fetish.  They don't want your hate, they wish you'd bugger off

It is so.
I don't hate them. I hate them pushing their fetish onto young kids.
And no, I wish they'd all f
u
ck off tbh.

Just look at how many regret their decisions after the fact.
That's psychological..... An encouraged fetish.
They need help, not encouragement.

IP Logged

Lisa Jones
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #969 - Oct 1st, 2022 at 7:42am

Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on Sep 30th, 2022 at 9:45pm:
FutureTheLeftWant wrote on Sep 30th, 2022 at 8:12pm:
Jesus, this science hating old man cries a lot

I thought it was rather brilliant myself.... now stop crying, take your pills, and go to bed.....

So easy every time .... Grin  Grin  Grin  Grin  Grin  Grin  Grin  Grin  Grin  Grin

Good on you Grappler lol ⭐️🌟⭐️

If I let myself be bought then I am no longer free.

HYPATIA - Greek philosopher, mathematician and astronomer (370 - 415)

IP Logged

issuevoter
Gold Member

Australian Politics

The Great State of Mind
Reply #970 - Oct 1st, 2022 at 8:02am

So how do professional clinicians and other authorities establish that the case in question is justified? For an explanation, I am not interested vague arguments like the "studies have shown" variety.

No political allegiance. No philosophy. No religion.

IP Logged

FutureTheLeftWant
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #971 - Oct 1st, 2022 at 8:41am

Captain Caveman wrote on Oct 1st, 2022 at 4:50am:
It is so.
u
ck off tbh.

You are simply human garbage

No one is pushing anything on kids
It's not a fetish
It's not sexual
you are a sex creep

What 'help' should they get, given there's no way to change their minds that they are trans?

IP Logged

FutureTheLeftWant
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #972 - Oct 1st, 2022 at 8:42am

issuevoter wrote on Oct 1st, 2022 at 8:02am:
So how do professional clinicians and other authorities establish that the case in question is justified? For an explanation, I am not interested vague arguments like the "studies have shown" variety.

I don't understand the question?  The actions we're taken are justified because they measurably lead to better life outcomes for those being helped

IP Logged

Lisa Jones
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #973 - Oct 1st, 2022 at 8:43am

FutureTheLeftWant wrote on Oct 1st, 2022 at 8:41am:
Captain Caveman wrote on Oct 1st, 2022 at 4:50am:
It is so.
u
ck off tbh.

You are simply human garbage

No one is pushing anything on kids
It's not a fetish
It's not sexual
you are a sex creep

What 'help' should they get, given there's no way to change their minds that they are trans?

How many of you multi trolls share that fake id?
« Last Edit: Oct 1st, 2022 at 8:53am by Lisa Jones »  

If I let myself be bought then I am no longer free.

HYPATIA - Greek philosopher, mathematician and astronomer (370 - 415)

IP Logged

FutureTheLeftWant
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #974 - Oct 1st, 2022 at 8:43am

Lisa Jones wrote on Oct 1st, 2022 at 7:42am:
Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on Sep 30th, 2022 at 9:45pm:
FutureTheLeftWant wrote on Sep 30th, 2022 at 8:12pm:
Jesus, this science hating old man cries a lot

I thought it was rather brilliant myself.... now stop crying, take your pills, and go to bed.....

So easy every time .... Grin  Grin  Grin  Grin  Grin  Grin  Grin  Grin  Grin  Grin

Good on you Grappler lol ⭐️🌟⭐️

It's funny.  He is the dumbest person here, and hte most loathesome.  I am ignoring him and he still replies to me constantly and insists he's somehow exposing or owning me.  HE's a case study in the mental illness of the right wing

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 63 64 65 66 67 ... 296
Send Topic Print