Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Re: Immigration
Reply #675 - Mar 11th, 2024 at 6:19am

Immigration Levels Still Too High

Mar 4, 2024

Cheaper rents, cheaper houses and a lower cost of living are all possible, but not with the current immigration levels.

There were 518,000 net overseas immigrants last financial year. 2.76 million visa holders are in the country and more are coming with immigration rates accelerating in the second half of last year.

Our country simply cannot handle this amount of immigration in the middle of a housing crisis.

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #676 - Mar 15th, 2024 at 8:33am

When it comes to Sydney’s housing problem, Premier Chris Minns is full of, uh, ‘facts’.

‘We’re about the 830th densest city in the world and yet by most measures, we’re in the top 5 or the top 10 when it comes to being the most expensive. Those two things are related.’

One fact he missed – and one that is impossible to ignore during a housing crisis – is that New South Wales added 174,000 migrants to its population last year.  A vast majority of them made their home in Sydney.

Already, the Greater Sydney area has one of the highest foreign-born percentages in the world – bigger even than cities like New York City, Los Angeles, and London.

While nobody can blame migrants for wanting to come and live in one of the best cities in the world, surely we can say that not enough blame is heaped on the major political parties for their poor handling of this massive intake…

Especially from younger people, like myself, who are being forced by high housing prices to either forgo future savings to stay here, or flee the city in search of cheaper pastures. Just last week, two friends of mine, in their twenties, had to up-sticks and move to Newcastle, citing cheaper housing.  With a 3-month-old baby to look after, and with their parents now living hours away, their life has been made much harder than it should be.

Is it any wonder that so many young couples are choosing to flee the cities or choosing to have kids later?

This is the true tragedy of high house costs. It’s not just a number on a screen. It’s people’s lives and it bodes very poorly for the future of Australia.

Already, Australia’s fertility rate is below replacement, but Sydney’s is absolutely through the floor.  Between 2019 and 2021, Sydney’s fertility rate dropped from 1.67 to 1.62 – lower than the NSW regional figure of 1.93 and well below the replacement rate of 2.1.  And it’s dropping fast.

This is shaping up to be a social disaster, with our cities turning into places like South Korea, where kids are a privilege reserved only for the super-rich.

Of course, Minns has admitted he’s in trouble.  Time and again, Labor’s housing flunkies have said that the solution to Sydney’s housing woes is to ‘build upwards’.  It sounds nice, but that isn’t realistic.  For one, rushed apartments are full of defects and always breaking.  As one construction expert noted, up to 50 per ent of newly built apartments in NSW could have ‘major defects.’

Call me a NIMBY, but turning the Inner West and transport corridors into developer favelas – as he proposed this week – doesn’t sound like the best path forward for Sydney.

Then there’s timing.  NSW already suffered a shortfall of around 45,000 homes last year, according to my estimate.  It can take up to three years to build a block of flats.  This is the perfect storm for a housing catastrophe.

Something serious must be done soon, or this situation will become a disaster. Empty words and false appeals to ‘building more’ no longer cut it.  In a post on his social media yesterday, Premier Minns made this point.  ‘Young people should be able to make their claim on this city. It’s something that was afforded to their parents, and their parents before that.’

The truth is that like no other time in Sydney’s history, young people today are being played for fools.  Their wages are stagnant, their house prices are sky-high, and having kids is becoming a faraway pipe dream. 

No state politician – Labor or Liberal – has been willing to face the issue of immigration and how it pushes young people out.  Maybe it’s time young people stepped up.  Seriously, Mr Minns, you can’t build your way out of this one.

https://www.spectator.com.au/2024/03/the-real-reason-young-people-are-leaving-sy...

Estragon: I can’t go on like this.
Vladimir: That’s what you think.

IP Logged

mothra
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #677 - Mar 15th, 2024 at 9:21am

Fruitbat, YOU'RE AN IMMIGRANT.

If you can't be a good example, you have to be a horrible warning.

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #678 - Mar 16th, 2024 at 5:34am

Mar 15, 2024

Former New South Wales premier Bob Carr has criticised Australia’s record migration levels,
saying we “don’t have to do it” to “guarantee Australia’s prosperity”.

Immigration to Australia has reached record numbers with more migrants arriving in January than ever before – 125,000 permanent and long-term arrivals.

“I’ve been trying to get Australia to understand that we do not need to have the highest rate of immigration, in proportion to our population, in the world,” Mr Carr told Sky News host Erin Molan.

“We’ve got third-world rates of immigration, and we don’t need it.

“Australians, especially those in Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane … I just wonder why this is the only economic model we’ve got – to force feed population growth, to run the highest imaginable immigration intake, and to condemn our big cities to a relentless chase to keep up in terms of infrastructure.

“We don’t have to do it to guarantee Australia’s prosperity.”

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #679 - Mar 16th, 2024 at 11:49am

There's too many men, too many people
Making too many problems
And not much love to go 'round
Can't you see this is a land of confusion?

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #680 - Mar 16th, 2024 at 11:53am

mothra wrote on Mar 15th, 2024 at 9:21am:
Fruitbat, YOU'RE AN IMMIGRANT.

So are you by your own standards ...

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

goosecat
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #681 - Mar 16th, 2024 at 8:36pm

Thought I'd add an interesting little piece of info I got a few years ago. A former advisor to government on economics,including handling the economic impacts of Covid etc (no I won't go into detail. so accept it or not) stated to me they were very pro growth and immigration but really concerned over housing flow on effects. The same individual has always had concerns about our housing prices and affordability issues. I have friendly debates with them regarding just how wrong economists often get it and the failure to fully grasp the intricacies of their general positions on things like immigration being positive for GDP growth etc etc and the real effects for societies.. They then struck me with something effectively admitting that indeed, like us all, they themselves learn as they go. They'd always been a fan of immigration and growth theory but only recently (a few years ago) actually got real data on immigration to Australia by country of origin stats and the actual costs for welfare per country of origin basis. It's a tricky subject to address without being deemed racist. Nonetheless they quoted one particular country of origin that had an average adult time frame of 8 YEARS before obtaining a job. 8 YEARS on welfare on average before getting a job. Apparently it took everyone by surprise. Now it's very difficult to drill down the exact spending habits and GDP effects of each individual, but as they said to me; On direct government taxes hopefully to be earned from these people, to offset the 8 Year cost, it's radically different from what is generally taught regarding immigration and economic growth theory. It rammed home the importance of TARGETED Immigration that had fallen by the wayside and been replaced by effectively a mantra of; any immigration is good. It's not that simple. To which I replied of course: DER!! Well no poo Sherlock. PS: my enter button has gone "caput" hence no paragraphs. Undecided
« Last Edit: Mar 16th, 2024 at 9:52pm by goosecat »  

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #682 - Mar 17th, 2024 at 11:57am

Labor’s “big Australia” policy
which has seen Australia’s migration intake soar to record levels.

According to the Daily Telegraph, Australia’s migration intake hit record levels in January despite Labor’s plan to slow the surge of new arrivals.

“This is really, really sinister here – I mean, we talk about
a housing crisis,

we talk about inflation, we talk about household incomes going backwards,” Mr Morrow said.

“And this is because Labor has decided to pursue a big Australia policy.

“What have we got? We’ve got sticky inflation; we’ve got housing prices that are through the roof.”

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #683 - Mar 17th, 2024 at 12:24pm

Australia is suffering from population obesity.

Estragon: I can’t go on like this.
Vladimir: That’s what you think.

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #684 - Mar 17th, 2024 at 12:29pm

Frank wrote on Mar 17th, 2024 at 12:24pm:
Australia is suffering from population obesity.

Too many people -
house, Unit, flat prices and rents are now astronomical.

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #685 - Mar 17th, 2024 at 12:41pm

Mar 17, 2024

Sky News host Rowan Dean has slammed Labor’s “idiocy and incompetence”
after the government “mucked up” again in the detainee debacle.

It was revealed earlier this week that there were “technical inconsistencies”
with the Abbott government-era laws surrounding the visas given
to the cohort of detainees released into the community
following a controversial High Court ruling last year.

The legal issue was later fixed, and all 149 visas were reissued.

Mr Dean reacted to the Albanese government “blaming everyone other than themselves”.

“The classic Labor ploy,” he said.

“Incompetence the lot of them.”

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #686 - Mar 17th, 2024 at 12:42pm

Bobby. wrote on Mar 17th, 2024 at 12:41pm:
Mar 17, 2024

Sky News ...

Grin

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #687 - Mar 17th, 2024 at 12:58pm

greggerypeccary wrote on Mar 17th, 2024 at 12:42pm:
Bobby. wrote on Mar 17th, 2024 at 12:41pm:
Mar 17, 2024

Sky News ...

Grin

Sky news is great.

the truth is - Australians are stuck between a rock and a hard place:

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #688 - Mar 17th, 2024 at 2:08pm

Populate or Perish!

This reasons why Eddie Ward uttered those words still apply today, Bobby.  Tsk, tsk, tsk....  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Someone said we could not judge a person's Aboriginality on their skin colour.  Why isn't that applied in the matter of Pascoe?  Tsk, tsk, tsk...   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #689 - Mar 17th, 2024 at 2:10pm

Brian Ross wrote on Mar 17th, 2024 at 2:08pm:
Populate or Perish!

This reasons why Eddie Ward uttered those words still apply today, Bobby.  Tsk, tsk, tsk....  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Even Former New South Wales LABOR premier Bob Carr

has criticised Australia’s record migration levels.    Tsk, tsk, tsk....  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 44 45 46 47 48 ... 100
Send Topic Print