Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Poll closed Poll
Question: Do you want royalty banished from our political system?
*** This poll has now closed ***

Yes    
  15 (48.4%)
No    
  16 (51.6%)

Total votes: 31
« Created by: Bobby. on: Sep 11th, 2022 at 5:03pm »

Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26 27 
Send Topic Print
Time for a republic. (Read 7795 times)
Marla
Gold Member

Weed is my Jesus

Colorado
Re: Time for a republic.
Reply #360 - Sep 17th, 2022 at 4:29am

MeisterEckhart wrote on Sep 16th, 2022 at 12:23pm:
Is the poll on this thread an indicator of the general public's ambivalence, I wonder.

yap...yap....yap

I know progress has no patience but something's got to give

IP Logged

whiteknight
Gold Member

Australian Politics

melbourne
Reply #361 - Sep 17th, 2022 at 7:54am

The Greens’ Lidia Thorpe repeats call for an Australian republic   Smiley

New Daily
Sep 16 2022

Greens senator Lidia Thorpe – who was forced to retake her oath of allegiance after calling the Queen a coloniser – has blasted British colonialism and demanded Australia become a republic.

Days out from the Queen’s funeral at Westminster Abbey, Senator Thorpe called a press conference in Melbourne to address the republic debate.

She seized on comments made by former prime minister and “lifelong republican” Julia Gillard, who said it was natural for Australians to reflect on the monarchy following the death of Queen Elizabeth II.

“A republic is something that isn’t new, it’s something that has been called for for decades,” Senator Thorpe told reporters on Friday.

“To hear that Julia Gillard has come out in support of a republic just goes to show that there is leadership around the place that will support us self determining our own needs, our own wants, and our own laws in our own country.”

Ms Gillard said Australians could expect to have a discussion on constitutional change in the coming years but added now was not the time.

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #362 - Sep 17th, 2022 at 7:54am

pfffizer

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #363 - Sep 17th, 2022 at 7:54am

peckerhead

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #364 - Sep 17th, 2022 at 7:56am

whiteknight wrote on Sep 17th, 2022 at 7:54am:

New Daily
Sep 16 2022

Greens senator Lidia Thorpe – who was forced to retake her oath of allegiance after calling the Queen a coloniser – has blasted British colonialism and demanded Australia become a republic.

Days out from the Queen’s funeral at Westminster Abbey, Senator Thorpe called a press conference in Melbourne to address the republic debate.

She seized on comments made by former prime minister and “lifelong republican” Julia Gillard, who said it was natural for Australians to reflect on the monarchy following the death of Queen Elizabeth II.

“A republic is something that isn’t new, it’s something that has been called for for decades,” Senator Thorpe told reporters on Friday.

“To hear that Julia Gillard has come out in support of a republic just goes to show that there is leadership around the place that will support us self determining our own needs, our own wants, and our own laws in our own country.”

Ms Gillard said Australians could expect to have a discussion on constitutional change in the coming years but added now was not the time.

Shouldn't 'real' Aborigines be sticking the the land?
Fake Cheer Mob Lydia is just a Media suck job and wannabe politician.

IP Logged

MeisterEckhart
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #365 - Sep 17th, 2022 at 9:27am

Marla wrote on Sep 17th, 2022 at 4:29am:
MeisterEckhart wrote on Sep 16th, 2022 at 12:23pm:
Is the poll on this thread an indicator of the general public's ambivalence, I wonder.

yap...yap....yap

She comes to, spits tissue wad from mouth, crawls out from under a half-brother, logs in to foreign politics forum.

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #366 - Sep 17th, 2022 at 9:35am

With a bit more than 1 day to go -

the poll is in favor of royalty being banished from our political system.

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #367 - Sep 17th, 2022 at 10:33am

whiteknight wrote on Sep 17th, 2022 at 7:54am:

New Daily
Sep 16 2022

Thorpe, Bandt, Faruqi and their partisans and supporters suffer from terminal moaning sickness.

Estragon: I can’t go on like this.
Vladimir: That’s what you think.

IP Logged

Marla
Gold Member

Weed is my Jesus

Colorado
Reply #368 - Sep 17th, 2022 at 10:36am

MeisterEckhart wrote on Sep 17th, 2022 at 9:27am:
She comes to, spits tissue wad from mouth, crawls out from under a half-brother, logs in to foreign politics forum.

yap...yap...yap

I know progress has no patience but something's got to give

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #369 - Sep 17th, 2022 at 11:18am

Bobby. wrote on Sep 17th, 2022 at 9:35am:

No it isn't.

"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It's only painful and difficult for others. The same applies when you are stupid." ~ Ricky Gervais

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #370 - Sep 17th, 2022 at 11:19am

Marla wrote on Sep 17th, 2022 at 10:36am:
MeisterEckhart wrote on Sep 17th, 2022 at 9:27am:

yap...yap...yap

Sounds about right for you

yapping like a little handbag biatch.

"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It's only painful and difficult for others. The same applies when you are stupid." ~ Ricky Gervais

IP Logged

Captain Nemo
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #371 - Sep 18th, 2022 at 12:11pm

The 2025 election could be a shocker.
IP Logged

chimera
Gold Member

Australian Politics

armidale
Reply #372 - Sep 18th, 2022 at 12:29pm

Captain Nemo wrote on Sep 18th, 2022 at 12:11pm:

'The Royal Navy is pushing hard to integrate its carriers with their U.S. republicans. “As she has demonstrated already, we can successfully field a combined U.S., U.K. carrier strike group,” said Admiral Tony Radakin, Chief of Naval Staff, during HMS Queen Elizabeth’s visit to the U.S. East Coast this month. “I look forward to this developing further, moving to the point where we are not only talking about interoperability, but we are looking for interchangeability. ”

IP Logged

Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Reply #373 - Sep 18th, 2022 at 5:08pm

Bobby. wrote on Sep 17th, 2022 at 9:35am:

Sorry Bobby but it not only does not say that but it is so close that it has no chance, the result needs to be about 70% to 30% in favour of a republic for it to happen in reality and the numbers are no where near that mark, it actually looks less popular now than it did in the 1990's.

As I sad before nobody in all these posts on any topic has made even a poor attempt at making a case for the change, nothin nada. Well except for the Monty Python argument which fir obvious reasons is somewhat dubious in merit.

This is the justification needed to go to step one has been completely missing from the discussion.

IP Logged

chimera
Gold Member

Australian Politics

armidale
Reply #374 - Sep 18th, 2022 at 5:27pm

Gnads wrote on Sep 17th, 2022 at 11:18am:
No

In the interests of justice, harmony and the Olympic spirit, all candidates for Minister could do the GG stuff and then visit Malcolm Turnbull for the the other 50% of the oath.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26 27 
Send Topic Print