Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Poll closed Poll
Question: Will the referendum be voted in?
*** This poll has now closed ***

No    
  42 (75.0%)
Yes    
  14 (25.0%)

Total votes: 56
« Last Modified by: Redmond Neck on: Feb 25th, 2023 at 11:17am »

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 298
Send Topic Print
The Aboriginal Voice referendum (Read 90273 times)
MeisterEckhart
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: The Aboriginal Voice referendum
Reply #15 - Oct 5th, 2022 at 10:04am

mothra wrote on Oct 5th, 2022 at 10:01am:
MeisterEckhart wrote on Oct 5th, 2022 at 9:44am:
mothra wrote on Oct 5th, 2022 at 9:41am:
MeisterEckhart wrote on Oct 5th, 2022 at 9:34am:
mothra wrote on Oct 5th, 2022 at 9:33am:
MeisterEckhart wrote on Oct 5th, 2022 at 9:30am:
mothra wrote on Oct 5th, 2022 at 9:27am:
Thanks Frank. We needed another thread on this. The pre-existing half dozen weren't enough.

Now you can all repeat yourselves again! For pages and pages!

As you are.

What a ridiculous and churlish thing to say.

Seriously, ask yourself, what was the point of that?

Because i've clearly not repeated myself. I've not said anything on the topic at all.

You didn't need to vent on this thread, as you repeatedly do.

But you did.

Still butt-hurt i see?

Never mind. I'm sure you've impressed one or two of the residents in your defiance. That'll do you, eh?

So now that's 3 posts you've added to this 'unnecessary' thread.

Will you extend your projection for pages and pages?

Nah. I'll leave that for you. We've already established that both your diagnostic skills and understanding of pathologies is wanting ... but you persevere.

Day in and out. Telling everyone what they are.

Carry on.

So 25% of the posts here are yours on this 'unnecessary' thread.

IP Logged

mothra
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #16 - Oct 5th, 2022 at 10:06am

MeisterEckhart wrote on Oct 5th, 2022 at 10:04am:
Thanks Frank. We needed another thread on this. The pre-existing half dozen weren't enough.

As you are.

Because i've clearly not repeated myself. I've not said anything on the topic at all.

But you did.

Still butt-hurt i see?

Never mind. I'm sure you've impressed one or two of the residents in your defiance. That'll do you, eh?

Nah. I'll leave that for you. We've already established that both your diagnostic skills and understanding of pathologies is wanting ... but you persevere.

Carry on.

Then 25% of them are yours.

Would you like to compare motivations?

If you can't be a good example, you have to be a horrible warning.

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #17 - Oct 5th, 2022 at 10:09am

Neil Brown raises important points and illustrates them with an actual, recent case of handling Aboriginal Voice.

It is a lazy and stupid thing to bury your head in the PC sand and dismiss all concerns about the Voice as mere racism. Albo's tactic, as it was during the election campaign, is to be as vague as possible, saying that details will be sorted once the constitutional amendment is passed. But that is absolutely NOT the way to conduct debate on constitutional change - with added guilt tripping by the likes of you. Constitutional change is too important and your Emotional Correctness just reinforces the perception that dirty work is afoot here.
You would have clear and reasonable arguments for it otherwise. You don't.

If you don't care either way then keep out of the discussion. But kibbitzing that there is no point to discussing it because any opposition is just racism and that the only correct position is to go along with whatever Albo suggests is NOT going to fly. If anything, it will guarantee the failure of the proposed amendments.

Estragon: I can’t go on like this.
Vladimir: That’s what you think.

IP Logged

MeisterEckhart
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #18 - Oct 5th, 2022 at 10:09am

mothra wrote on Oct 5th, 2022 at 10:06am:
MeisterEckhart wrote on Oct 5th, 2022 at 10:04am:

As you are.

But you did.

Still butt-hurt i see?

Carry on.

Then 25% of them are yours.

Would you like to compare motivations?

I didn't say the thread was unnecessary.

You did, and now you're all 'I just can't quit you'.

IP Logged

MeisterEckhart
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #19 - Oct 5th, 2022 at 10:14am

Frank wrote on Oct 5th, 2022 at 10:09am:

Neil Brown raises important points and illustrates them with an actual, recent case of handling Aboriginal Voice.

It is a lazy and stupid thing to bury your head in the PC sand and dismiss all concerns about the Voice as mere racism. Albo's tactic, as it was during the election campaign, is to be as vague as possible, saying that details will be sorted once the constitutional amendment is passed. But that is absolutely NOT the way to conduct debate on constitutional change - with added guilt tripping by the likes of you. Constitutional change is too important and your Emotional Correctness just reinforces the perception that dirty work is afoot here.

If you don't care either way then keep out of the discussion. But kibbitzing that there is no point to discussing it because any opposition is just racism and that the only correct position is to go along with whatever Albo suggests is NOT going to fly. If anything, it will guarantee the failure of the proposed amendments.

The biggest issue by far and away is the same as in the US if Congress honoured article 7 of the Treaty of New Echota between the US Federal government and the Cherokee nation.

How does a voice (singular) represent a multitude of likely competing and diverging interests among aboriginal nations/peoples?

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #20 - Oct 5th, 2022 at 10:29am

MeisterEckhart wrote on Oct 5th, 2022 at 10:14am:
Frank wrote on Oct 5th, 2022 at 10:09am:

The biggest issue by far and away is the same as in the US if Congress honoured article 7 of the Treaty of New Echota between the US Federal government and the Cherokee nation.

How does a voice (singular) represent a multitude of likely competing and diverging interests among aboriginal nations/peoples?

Indeed. ATSIC was a Voice but it didn't speak for all Aborigines - the concept of one Voice for all Aborigines is absurd.

This referendum will be a disaster if it passes and a disaster if it doesn't.

IP Logged

MeisterEckhart
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #21 - Oct 5th, 2022 at 10:33am

Frank wrote on Oct 5th, 2022 at 10:29am:
Indeed. ATSIC was a Voice but it didn't speak for all Aborigines - the concept of one Voice for all Aborigines is absurd.

Yes. It's based on an ethnic and demographic lie, being, that all aboriginal peoples hold the same values and interests regardless of very different traditions.

It's an anachronistic example of 19th-century colonial thinking - that all aboriginals are the same.

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #22 - Oct 5th, 2022 at 10:38am

MeisterEckhart wrote on Oct 5th, 2022 at 10:33am:

Yes. It's based on an ethnic and demographic lie, being, that all aboriginal peoples hold the same values and interests regardless of very different traditions.

It's an anachronistic example of 19th-century colonial thinking - that all aboriginals are the same.

A Constitutional Dark Emu, to coin a phrase.

IP Logged

Captain Nemo
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #23 - Oct 5th, 2022 at 10:46am

It will be voted in owing to :

I'll be in the minority voting "No".

The 2025 election could be a shocker.
IP Logged

MeisterEckhart
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #24 - Oct 5th, 2022 at 10:50am

Yes. It's based on an ethnic and demographic lie, being, that all aboriginal peoples hold the same values and interests regardless of very different traditions and locations.

What is more concerning is that the lie is working - not because ordinary people are cynical, chauvinistic or even compassionate authoritarians (although the last feeds the lie), but because our leaders have encouraged our complicity in advancing the lie in aid of uber-simplistic political box-ticking - that the massively complex issue of ethnic diversity can be resolved with a few words on a piece of paper.

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #25 - Oct 5th, 2022 at 12:39pm

MeisterEckhart wrote on Oct 5th, 2022 at 10:50am:

Yes. It's based on an ethnic and demographic lie, being, that all aboriginal peoples hold the same values and interests regardless of very different traditions and locations.

What is more concerning is that the lie is working - not because ordinary people are cynical, chauvinistic or even compassionate authoritarians (although the last feeds the lie), but because our leaders have encouraged our complicity in advancing the lie in aid of uber-simplistic political box-ticking - that the massively complex issue of ethnic diversity can be resolved with a few words on a piece of paper.

It doesn't have bipartisan support.  The Aboriginal voice WITHIN the Coalition opposes it. If Dutton comes out in support of Albo against Price then his leadership is over.

IP Logged

MeisterEckhart
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #26 - Oct 5th, 2022 at 12:54pm

Frank wrote on Oct 5th, 2022 at 12:39pm:
MeisterEckhart wrote on Oct 5th, 2022 at 10:50am:

It doesn't have bipartisan support.  The Aboriginal voice WITHIN the Coalition opposes it. If Dutton comes out in support of Albo against Price then his leadership is over.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FYyx7gZaQAAs3D4?.jpg

The NZ experience should be studied. Despite the Treaty of Waitangi being generous to the indigenous Maori (who also were not singular in tribal sensibility), and its articles upheld in law, ethnic grievances still exist.

Ethnic grievances, once triggered, can persist for generations, irrespective of reparations.

The notion of a voice will give politicians the get-out-of-jail-free card via 'Well, at least we tried'.

IP Logged

Karnal
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #27 - Oct 5th, 2022 at 5:35pm

Now now, Mother, that's unfair. We need to give the old boy some encouragement. He is a New Australian, after all. He needs our kind words and support.

Perhaps you could virtue signal him back. Send him a jolly smiley.

Just don't yawn, okay? Brian tried that, and the old boy's never gotten over it.

CENSORSHIP !!!

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #28 - Oct 5th, 2022 at 9:13pm

Karnal wrote on Oct 5th, 2022 at 5:35pm:

Now now, Mother, that's unfair. We need to give the old boy some encouragement. He is a New Australian, after all. He needs our kind words and support.

Perhaps you could virtue signal him back. Send him a jolly smiley.

Just don't yawn, okay? Brian tried that, and the old boy's never gotten over it.

CENSORSHIP !!!

Speak to this, grimacing paki devil. Dont slink off on tangents. You are not on the couch here, sicko.

https://www.ozpolitic.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1664785668/0#0

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #29 - Oct 5th, 2022 at 10:12pm

MeisterEckhart wrote on Oct 5th, 2022 at 12:54pm:
The NZ experience should be studied. Despite the Treaty of Waitangi being generous to the indigenous Maori (who also were not singular in tribal sensibility), and its articles upheld in law, ethnic grievances still exist.

Ethnic grievances, once triggered, can persist for generations, irrespective of reparations.

The notion of a voice will give politicians the get-out-of-jail-free card via 'Well, at least we tried'.

Hopefully there won't be the level of deceit that was evident in the Treaty of Waitangi.  The British lied to the Maori about what it contained and supplied them with a different copy of the document with separate clauses.  This is where most of the problems with the Treaty originated with and it wasn't corrected until the late 20th century because of a court case which overturned the British version and replaced it with the Maori version.

The Australian "Voice" must go to the Australian people to decide if it is to be included in the Constitution.  All the bullshit that is preceding that is just that, bullshit.  Scare tactics promulgated by Racists who fear any power being accorded to the Indigenous.  Tsk, tsk, tsk...   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Someone said we could not judge a person's Aboriginality on their skin colour.  Why isn't that applied in the matter of Pascoe?  Tsk, tsk, tsk...   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 298
Send Topic Print