No    
  17 (81.0%)
Not sure    
  1 (4.8%)

Total votes: 21
« Created by: Lisa Jones on: Oct 22nd, 2022 at 7:49am »

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... 101
Send Topic Print
Trial of Brittany Higgins's alleged rapist begins (Read 35927 times)
Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Re: Trial of Brittany Higgins's alleged rapist begins
Reply #150 - Oct 19th, 2022 at 1:58pm

Redmond Neck wrote on Oct 19th, 2022 at 1:46pm:
Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on Oct 19th, 2022 at 11:59am:
Lisa Jones wrote on Oct 19th, 2022 at 10:46am:
Redmond Neck wrote on Oct 19th, 2022 at 9:02am:
Redmond Neck wrote on Oct 19th, 2022 at 8:48am:
Redmond Neck wrote on Oct 19th, 2022 at 8:41am:
Johnnie wrote on Oct 19th, 2022 at 1:26am:
There would have been a few raised eyebrows in the gallery when it was revealed Brittany wasn't wearing any panties!  Cool

I also found that rather odd when she admitted that!

Do women often not wear underwear because it shows lines where the knickers are under the dress?

I dont believe so....so I think it makes one wonder if she is a bit weird.

Perhaps one of the lady members might comment on the no underwear.

Is this a common practice?

It has no bearing on whether he raped her or not I realise that, however I reckon he will get off!

She is a weirdo!

Of course we wear underpants! And for some time now, body
shape wear (they're a fresh take on corsets etc) are very popular and help hide any tummy bulges or lines made by underpants. 

Why would Brittany go to court with no underpants and tell anyone/everyone that she's done so?

Something isn't right about the girl. IMO.

I thought she went on the date with no panties on.... 'no underwear' .... well - that was one tight form-fitting dress there...

Something here doesn't match...

Yeah it was on the night of the claimed rape, not in court, it was just revealed in her evidence in court!

This has the makings of a great spy novel.... the honey trap.... the lax security ... the late night intrusion into the minister's office....  the knockout drops to keep the honey trap silent while the papers were copied and then filched.... or he went home and she copied and filched the papers.... the desperate scramble to cover it up at 'higher-higher'.....

So she went out all night drinking without underwear on, with a guy she says she rejected earlier... goes back to a quiet place with him ... and she later says to her former boyfriend that the night didn't go as planned..... leaving question marks hanging in the air .............

Back to JFK - ask the questions.... ask the questions....

Reynolds sent her 'partner' to the court to hear the evidence of Higgins before Reynolds was called - and then said that she had no idea it was inappropriate.....  WTF??  Canberra Bubble - we are the bosses of this country - we are above the law - we can do whatever we want....

Again - I'm not saying the girl is lying.... or that Leer Man is lying ...... but hell.... what a confused mess this is ...

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #151 - Oct 19th, 2022 at 2:02pm

Aussie wrote on Oct 19th, 2022 at 1:49pm:
Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on Oct 19th, 2022 at 1:41pm:
Right here:-

Reply #110

https://www.ozpolitic.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1664855901/110

Surely, you have some doubts that Lehrmann has committed an act of rape

I have no doubt he did*.  But, I have every doubt he will be convicted.

*His story made no sense in that each of his various reasons for going to the Suite, taking her with him, and then leaving her there 'hurriedly,' do not add up to get anywhere near passing a pub test.

What removed all doubt in my mind was when he did not give evidence.

Just like Trump makes all sorts of denial claims in social media, he NOT once yet has had the balls to make those infamous claims under oath.  Talk is cheap, being in the witness box, under oath, being closely questioned efficiently is a whole different kettle of fish.

Rushing to judgement and see a hanging was your allegation. 

I made my call only after the evidence closed and ultimately because he declined to give evidence. 

Your gibber about Courts having some sort of anti accused bias is total rubbish Grappler.

The accused starts off with a huge advantage, and the prosecution has the barrow to push.

Won't hack it... you said he was guilty.... you had very thin reasons to say so not even related to the actual allegation... all you had at your disposal was the media reports...... heavily redacted for the purpose of offering a foregone conclusion to suit the editor(s).

As for the rest - somebody tell 'im 'e's dreamin'.........

Anyway 12% of rape convictions in the US State of Virginia have been overturned in a reliable study, and this after the convictees have spent a long time in prison...

Review your work, Aussie.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #152 - Oct 19th, 2022 at 2:34pm

Quote:
Won't hack it... you said he was guilty.... you had very thin reasons to say so not even related to the actual allegation... all you had at your disposal was the media reports...... heavily redacted for the purpose of offering a foregone conclusion to suit the editor(s).

Opinions were asked for.  I gave mine after all the evidence had finished.  I have sound reasons for concluding beyond reasonable doubt that he is guilty.  She says he raped her.  He had all the opportunity in the World to do so.  Why take her there in the first place?  Why offer three totally different explanations about why he went there in the wee small hours.  Only one makes sense.....to drink Whisky and having a pissed female in tow.

Finally, he declined to swear on oath that he did not have sex with her.  He ran away from the witness box and cross examination, something she did not do.

Quote:

I am not dreaming.  An accused starts off with the advantage of a presumption of innocence and knowing that the Crown has to prove beyond reasonable doubt.  The Crown has the barrow to push.  Ask Igor if that is dreaming.

Quote:
Anyway 12% of rape convictions in the US State of Virginia have been overturned in a reliable study, and this after the convictees have spent a long time in prison...

So what does that have to do with this case?

Quote:

You are such an arrogant pontificating log bearing wanker on this stuff Grappler and all because it seems you have been burned by some DVO matter personally.

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #153 - Oct 19th, 2022 at 2:39pm

Your stance on the benefit of the doubt etc doesn't gel with your story of getting someone off on a rape charge when the hounds were baying for his blood and it looked like a foreskinned conclusion... yet you hang on to the myth that the courts are fair and only deal with facts... and would never convict an innocent man despite your tale of getting one such off when it looked like his doom was sealed.

Lawyers  Roll Eyes  Roll Eyes  Roll Eyes

Like pokie addicts - you only hear about their wins....

― John Adams

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #154 - Oct 19th, 2022 at 2:41pm

Aussie wrote on Oct 19th, 2022 at 2:34pm:
Quote:

Opinions were asked for.  I gave mine after all the evidence had finished.  I have sound reasons for concluding beyond reasonable doubt that he is guilty.  She says he raped her.  He had all the opportunity in the World to do so.  Why take her there in the first place?  Why offer three totally different explanations about why he went there in the wee small hours.  Only one makes sense.....to drink Whisky and having a pissed female in tow.

Finally, he declined to swear on oath that he did not have sex with her.  He ran away from the witness box and cross examination, something she did not do.

Quote:

I am not dreaming.  An accused starts off with the advantage of a presumption of innocence and knowing that the Crown has to prove beyond reasonable doubt.  The Crown has the barrow to push.  Ask Igor if that is dreaming.

Quote:

So what does that have to do with this case?

Quote:

You are such an arrogant pontificating log bearing wanker on this stuff Grappler and all because it seems you have been burned by some DVO matter personally.

And yet you said that LeerMan was guilty partly because he figured he had nothing to defend on the evidence to date.... and thus had no real obligation to give evidence, since the evidence would not support the prosecution case.

Even your assumption of guilt shows clearly the prejudice against a defendant.

P.S.  By your own petard here....... would anyone who was actually guilty of any wrongdoing be so aggrieved over the egregious intrusion with violence by a court into his private life?  A honest man tells the story openly and maintains the rage of that form of rape ... a guilty man hides and mumbles while the honest innocent man shouts from the rooftops .... your own ideas there, Aussie.... thank you for raising the issue so it could be shot down again.
« Last Edit: Oct 19th, 2022 at 2:53pm by Grappler Truth Teller Feller »  

― John Adams

IP Logged

Johnnie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #155 - Oct 19th, 2022 at 2:44pm

There is more evidence which has been suppressed and will be revealed on Friday, the plot thickens.

As for the panties! nothing wrong with that, everybody at the party probably knew she goes commando!

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #156 - Oct 19th, 2022 at 3:09pm

Quote:
And yet you said that LeerMan was guilty partly because he figured he had nothing to defend on the evidence to date.... and thus had no real obligation to give evidence, since the evidence would not support the prosecution case.

Where the fuq do you get that garbage from?  I gave my opinion.  I was asked about it.  I gave it and I have expalined why I have come to that opinion.  If I was on the Jury I would be satisfied beyond reasonable doubt.  There is always a doubt...but...the term is REASONABLE doubt.

I said that my opinion about his guilt was cemented when he did not give evidence.  Why did he not give evidence?  It is a simple matter.  Get in the box, and make your denial under oath and be cross examined.  Why did he not do that.  Sure, he has no obligation to do so, but......why would an innocent man in a case like this....ie it either did or did not happen, nothing about consent nuances....NOT be anxious, biting at the bit to get in the box, and say so.  Why 'plead the 5th?'

Quote:

Are you nuts?  I expressed my opinion after the evidence closed.  The Jury have to do the same.  I was putting myself in their shoes, just like you are in professing he will ultimately get off.  If I had posted that I did not believe Higgins, would you be accusing me of a bias against a person who claims to have been raped.  You are not making sense, you fool!

Quote:
P.S.  By your own petard here....... would anyone who was actually guilty of any wrongdoing be so aggrieved over the egregious intrusion with violence by a court into his private life?  A honest man tells the story openly and maintains the rage of that form of rape ... a guilty man hides and mumbles while the honest innocent man shouts from the rooftops .... your own ideas there, Aussie.... thank you for raising the issue so it could be shot down again.

Tripe which does not even make sense.  Ask Igor to write that again for you.

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #157 - Oct 19th, 2022 at 3:31pm

Johnnie wrote on Oct 19th, 2022 at 2:44pm:
There is more evidence which has been suppressed and will be revealed on Friday, the plot thickens.

As for the panties! nothing wrong with that, everybody at the party probably knew she goes commando!

Friday you say - Aussie said all the evidence was in.... so he hit the rooftops yelling 'Guilty' as any good defence lawyer should ......

12% exoneration rate in rape cases....... 12% .... 12% ..... one in eight or nine is doing time for Party Incline without having done the deed ....... one in eight or nine.....

― John Adams

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #158 - Oct 19th, 2022 at 3:36pm

Aussie wrote on Oct 19th, 2022 at 3:09pm:
Quote:

Where the fuq do you get that garbage from?  I gave my opinion.  I was asked about it.  I gave it and I have expalined why I have come to that opinion.  If I was on the Jury I would be satisfied beyond reasonable doubt.  There is always a doubt...but...the term is REASONABLE doubt.

I said that my opinion about his guilt was cemented when he did not give evidence.  Why did he not give evidence?  It is a simple matter.  Get in the box, and make your denial under oath and be cross examined.  Why did he not do that.  Sure, he has no obligation to do so, but......why would an innocent man in a case like this....ie it either did or did not happen, nothing about consent nuances....NOT be anxious, biting at the bit to get in the box, and say so.  Why 'plead the 5th?'

Quote:

Are you nuts?  I expressed my opinion after the evidence closed.  The Jury have to do the same.  I was putting myself in their shoes, just like you are in professing he will ultimately get off.  If I had posted that I did not believe Higgins, would you be accusing me of a bias against a person who claims to have been raped.  You are not making sense, you fool!

Quote:

Tripe which does not even make sense.  Ask Igor to write that again for you.

So you decided on prejudice?  He chose not to give evidence, as is his right, to defeat a flimsy case .... and his story about being there was inconsistent.... and you see those two factors as proof beyond a reasonable doubt regardless of the paucity of hard evidence?

You would be excused from jury duty ......

As for the rest - learn English.  You contradict yourself one hell of a lot, Aussie.  We all know how injured you were by wiser and more experienced heads pointing out the failures of security on that night.... but there's no need to take it out on the defendant by putting together a few things not directly related to the alleged incident and then screeching 'guilty'.

Are you getting senile?  A friend asked me to ask you that ....

― John Adams

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #159 - Oct 19th, 2022 at 3:44pm

Quote:
So you decided on prejudice?  He chose not to give evidence, as is his right, to defeat a flimsy case .... and his story about being there was inconsistent.... and you see those two factors as proof beyond a reasonable doubt regardless of the paucity of hard evidence?

No I do not see those two factors as proof as you describe and I have never said so.  You are reading what you want to read, and not what I wrote.

Quote:
As for the rest - learn English.  You contradict yourself one hell of a lot, Aussie.  We all know how injured you were by wiser and more experienced heads pointing out the failures of security on that night.... but there's no need to take it out on the defendant by putting together a few things not directly related to the alleged incident and then screeching 'guilty'.

What sort of crap is that tosh.

No more Grappler.  Fuq off.

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Crocodile Hunter: Origins

Rockhampton
Reply #160 - Oct 19th, 2022 at 3:55pm

Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on Oct 19th, 2022 at 8:40am:
It's a concern that so many here consider him guilty regardless of anything else....... they WANT to rush to judgement and see a hanging....

That's why 12% of rape convictions are disproven and the real victims exonerated... often after serving years in prison.... people are still stupid enough to think that someone accused is automatically guilty.... wrong completely - it's just that under our fatally flawed judiciary and juries they are most likely to be found guilty on the basis above rather than on facts as required.

The bastard wouldn't be there if he hadn't done it, right?  People mistake the reign of terror by a corrupt judiciary and courts and police bent on maintaining some status quo for true justice in the courts here as required.... been that way for over 200 years... ask any Abo or poor boy.... nobody is allowed to challenge city hall .... and guilt by accusation has been more the norm, especially in the lower courts, since 1788 ....

That is the basic idea behind going to court. Someone has been found associated with a scenario someone else has accused them of doing. The police entertained the scenario because the accused is found to have admitted to being within the locality of where the crime was alleged to have occurred. Because no alibi has been set by the accused, submissions to the court are made and the accused gets to either state his case, or watch the prosecution mount a case against him.

At this stage...
IP Logged

Setanta
Gold Member

\/ Peace man!

Northern NSW
Reply #161 - Oct 19th, 2022 at 4:35pm

Do you know whether it was him or his lawyer that decided he didn't need to testify? Was he following legal advice? If he was is that still evidence of his guilt?

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #162 - Oct 19th, 2022 at 5:05pm

Setanta wrote on Oct 19th, 2022 at 4:35pm:

Do you know whether it was him or his lawyer that decided he didn't need to testify? Was he following legal advice? If he was is that still evidence of his guilt?

As I have already posted, he makes that decision after being advised by the Lawyers of the pros and cons either way.  Prudent Lawyers get all that recorded in writing signed and in the hand of the client to protect their own arses if later the client tries to blame the Lawyers.

That he did not give evidence is NOT evidence of guilt.  It is a factor the Jury is entitled to take into account in arriving at their decision after being properly instructed by the Judge about his right NOT to get in the box. 

IP Logged

Setanta
Gold Member

\/ Peace man!

Northern NSW
Reply #163 - Oct 19th, 2022 at 5:10pm

Aussie wrote on Oct 19th, 2022 at 5:05pm:
Setanta wrote on Oct 19th, 2022 at 4:35pm:

As I have already posted, he makes that decision after being advised by the Lawyers of the pros and cons either way.  Prudent Lawyers get all that recorded in writing signed and in the hand of the client to protect their own arses if later the client tries to blame the Lawyers.

So his lawyers could well have advised him not to and that he doesn't need to but it's up to him. If so does that still make him guilty?

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #164 - Oct 19th, 2022 at 5:15pm

Not by itself.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... 101
Send Topic Print