No    
  17 (81.0%)
Not sure    
  1 (4.8%)

Total votes: 21
« Created by: Lisa Jones on: Oct 22nd, 2022 at 7:49am »

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 101
Send Topic Print
Trial of Brittany Higgins's alleged rapist begins (Read 35896 times)
mothra
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Trial of Brittany Higgins's alleged rapist begins
Reply #90 - Oct 18th, 2022 at 8:34am

Belgarion wrote on Oct 18th, 2022 at 8:28am:
mothra wrote on Oct 18th, 2022 at 6:11am:
Johnnie wrote on Oct 18th, 2022 at 6:08am:
mothra wrote on Oct 18th, 2022 at 5:32am:
What continues to break my heart is that even in this day and, if a woman does not submit to immediate forensic examination post rape, she has no evidence.

And so accusations of rape come down to "he said/she said".

So little compassion for a person who is undeniably in a state of shock after being horrifically violated. So little understanding of what that might do to a person.

And just look! When a person comes forward, what do they meet?

Shame on the lot of you. You utterly sicken me.

You assume her innocence just like Lisa, nothing of what she has been saying in court can be substatiated and no one is backing her up, proceedings are due to be wrapped up this friday weeks before the allocated time given. She was drunk as a skunk in the wrong place at the wrong time and and cried rape to save her job, the bloke that has been accused of rape has had his life destroyed, that's my opinion just as you have yours, go and be as sick as you like.

I'm not assuming anything. I just think it's hilarious that all of you butt-hurt misogynists think that demonising her makes you any better than those demonising him.

Him, who took a drunk woman back to his office in the middle of the night and left her there. Naked.

Her, who got so pissed she could barely stand up and made a decision to accompany him to the office.

Neither of this pair come out of this looking good. Did they have sex? Probably. Was it consensual? Who knows? There is a chance that the court may find she was too drunk to give informed consent.

There is certainly a possibility that Higgins was raped. There is also a possiblilty that she woke up with a raging hangover and thought "What the f-k did I do that for?" and there is another possibility that no sex happened at all.

As I have said, no one comes out of this looking good.

Yes her, who was drunk.

I'm sorry, are you suggesting that a drunk woman is categorically open for sexual liaison?

If you can't be a good example, you have to be a horrible warning.

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #91 - Oct 18th, 2022 at 8:58am

AusGeoff wrote on Oct 17th, 2022 at 9:04pm:
Aussie wrote on Oct 17th, 2022 at 8:12pm:
...That there possibly was sexual activity is supported by the fact she was found naked by that security guard in, of all places, the accused's Ministerial suite, and her 'recent complaint.'

Not so.  The fact that she was allegedly found naked does not in any way,
shape or form prove that she was raped.

Aussie wrote on Oct 17th, 2022 at 8:12pm:
No.  On her evidence, she was penetrated, i.e. raped, not merely sexually assaulted (eg...had her boobs handled.)  In any event, he denies there was ANY sexual event.

Again, not so.  Higgins has presented zero evidence supporting her allegation.

I think we are at cross purposes.  You said the case was entirely circumstantial.  I was pointing out that it is not entirely circumstantial.  There is her first hand evidence, and her evidence is supported by other witnesses in various ways.  Sure, there is no-one who actually witnessed the event other than the two participants.

Second...I was merely informing you, technically, on what is rape (penetration) and what is sexual assault (eg...handling boobs.)

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #92 - Oct 18th, 2022 at 9:01am

What continues to break my heart is that even in this day and, if a woman does not submit to immediate forensic examination post rape, she has no evidence.

So little compassion for a person who is undeniably in a state of shock after being horrifically violated. So little understanding of what that might do to a person.

Well, fuq you very much, too!

IP Logged

Belgarion
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #93 - Oct 18th, 2022 at 9:07am

mothra wrote on Oct 18th, 2022 at 8:34am:
Yes her, who was drunk.

I'm sorry, are you suggesting that a drunk woman is categorically open for sexual liaison?

Not at all. What I am saying is that a decision made under the influence of alcohol and regretted in the cold light of morning is not rape. I'm not saying that this is what Higgins did, but it's a possibility the court will have to look at.

"I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."

Voltaire.....(possibly)

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #94 - Oct 18th, 2022 at 9:55am

Belgarion wrote on Oct 18th, 2022 at 9:07am:
Yes her, who was drunk.

Not at all. What I am saying is that a decision made under the influence of alcohol and regretted in the cold light of morning is not rape. I'm not saying that this is what Higgins did, but it's a possibility the court will have to look at.

The Court will NOT be looking at it except in a very narrow way as the accused's defence is not consent.......his defence is...."NOTHING happened.  I got my keys, did some work on QT papers, and left."

IP Logged

Belgarion
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #95 - Oct 18th, 2022 at 10:17am

Aussie wrote on Oct 18th, 2022 at 9:55am:
Belgarion wrote on Oct 18th, 2022 at 9:07am:
Yes her, who was drunk.

The Court will NOT be looking at it except in a very narrow way as the accused's defence is not consent.......his defence is...."NOTHING happened.  I got my keys, did some work on QT papers, and left."

That may be his defence, but the prosecution will certainly ask why he left a naked, drunk and unconscious woman behind.

"I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."

Voltaire.....(possibly)

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #96 - Oct 18th, 2022 at 10:28am

Do you really think he is going to give evidence?  What do you reckon might be the outcome if he does not give evidence?

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #97 - Oct 18th, 2022 at 11:23am

Aussie wrote on Oct 18th, 2022 at 10:28am:
Do you really think he is going to give evidence?  What do you reckon might be the outcome if he does not give evidence?

So, he did not give evidence!  He has made no denial under oath or been subject to cross-examination.

It all now depends on the 13th Juror.

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #98 - Oct 18th, 2022 at 12:12pm

In the case of Pell, we had the unsworn untested allegations of people up against the sworn testimony of Pell who was then subjected to exhaustive cross examination.  A Jury convicted him.

On appeal, the High Court reversed that Jury decision.

I repeat, here we have her sworn evidence, and she is cross-examined exhaustively.  He has not gone anywhere near the witness box.  He has made no sworn denial and his story remains totally untested under oath.

In a case where an accused says an event did not occur, it is probably within normal human expectation, if he were truly innocent, that he would give evidence and swear to his version of events and then be cross-examined.  Yes, I am well aware it is his right not to give evidence, but it is also now the right of the Prosecution to make adverse comments about that.

He failed to get in the box.

As I said, much now depends on the 13th Juror, but for mine....convicted.

IP Logged

Captain Nemo
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #99 - Oct 18th, 2022 at 12:40pm

I didn't want to get into this topic because of the legal implications. (i.e. should not be discussing the case while it is before the court.)

However, I read somewhere the other day that Higgins was not wearing any underwear on the day - if that is true ... could that explain why the couch was cleaned?

The 2025 election could be a shocker.
IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #100 - Oct 18th, 2022 at 12:44pm

Captain Nemo wrote on Oct 18th, 2022 at 12:40pm:
I didn't want to get into this topic because of the legal implications. (i.e. should not be discussing the case while it is before the court.)

However, I read somewhere the other day that Higgins was not wearing any underwear on the day - if that is true ... could that explain why the couch was cleaned?

If so, you'd have to explain how the person who ordered the clean (The Minister) was aware of sexual activity within 12 hours of the event (or that a knickerless bird had been) in her Suite.

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #101 - Oct 18th, 2022 at 12:50pm

And for Grappler:

Quote:
Mr Drumgold told also told the jury Ms Higgins's version of events was credible and noted that she told nine different people her version of events in 16 days in 2019.

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #102 - Oct 18th, 2022 at 12:52pm

Captain Nemo wrote on Oct 18th, 2022 at 12:40pm:

It's perfectly okay to discuss it...just like the MSM are discussing it every day in newspapers and on TV.

IP Logged

AusGeoff
Gold Member

Sage of Gippsland

Victoria
Reply #103 - Oct 18th, 2022 at 7:17pm

The only "evidence" Higgins has is her own claim.  In actuality then, zero evidence.

Agreed.  And exactly as I said earlier in this thread.

So little compassion for a person who is undeniably in a state of shock after being horrifically violated.

You don't know—nor do any of us know—that Higgins was "horrifically violated".
That's for the jury to determine.  And your verbal histrionics further devalue your opinion.

Just as your judgmental, patronising superiority offends us.

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #104 - Oct 18th, 2022 at 7:40pm

Well - that's the simple reality.... no substantial evidence ...

How do YOU know she was "undeniably in a state of shock after being horrifically violated"??  She was undeniably drunk as a skunk... that surely could be the reason she was non compos for a while after...

Your hysteria is showing... you presume guilt and refuse to rely on facts...

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 101
Send Topic Print