Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
Peter Reith has died at age 72. (Read 1885 times)
Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Re: Peter Reith has died at age 72.
Reply #60 - Nov 18th, 2022 at 3:50pm

Lisa Jones wrote on Nov 10th, 2022 at 11:26am:
Peter Reith stated the brutal and uncomfortable truth. And he had the guts to stand up and get our inept waterfront industry back on track too.

It was never going to be an easy roadmap given the unrepentant union thugs involved and who were controlled by the Communist and Labor Parties of Australia.

We could do with more politicians like Reith in Australia. Men who are tough and prepared to jump in and get the job done.

What we have instead are spineless inept dheads who sit around pretending to care about what they do. They're really there to feather their own nests as they prepare themselves for retirement to enjoy unbelievable benefit packages.

Edit : And if it wasn't for Reith putting the frighteners on those lazy bludging waterfront wankers who thought they could get away with what they had been doing for decades...Australis waterfront industry would not be the competitive and efficient one we see today.

Deal with it you lot!

Quote:
Peter Reith stated the brutal and uncomfortable truth. And he had the guts to stand up and get our inept waterfront industry back on track too.

No actually he didn't - The government helping the business to work outside the law and morality hurt the industry for no reason.

The basis of the dispute was to swap out the workforce to overseas imported workers on low pay rates and to introduce automated technology.

In the end they had 3 cranes standing at the port unused 25 years later.

This is the technology they wanted to use to supposedly improve productivity. It never got to the point where these cranes could match the workers performance and were never used.

There was also a safety issue that the cranes could not correctly identify the different containers which produced an extreme danger when a crane picked up a container with a different size than it believed. It could literally try to put a container into a slot where it didn't fit or worse still into an area where there were people.

They got improved productivity in the end by negotiating a bonus system with existing workers. They had a set number of containers to unload in a shift with a bonus for extra.

This was the increased productivity and it had nothing to do with the dispute, this was always on the table.

A disappointment to me was that the union didn't follow through with the court case, the court had found that the government had a case to answer. The Gov done a deal with the unions to get out of it.

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #61 - Nov 18th, 2022 at 5:37pm

Dnarever wrote on Nov 18th, 2022 at 3:50pm:
Lisa Jones wrote on Nov 10th, 2022 at 11:26am:

It was never going to be an easy roadmap given the unrepentant union thugs involved and who were controlled by the Communist and Labor Parties of Australia.

We could do with more politicians like Reith in Australia. Men who are tough and prepared to jump in and get the job done.

What we have instead are spineless inept dheads who sit around pretending to care about what they do. They're really there to feather their own nests as they prepare themselves for retirement to enjoy unbelievable benefit packages.

Edit : And if it wasn't for Reith putting the frighteners on those lazy bludging waterfront wankers who thought they could get away with what they had been doing for decades...Australis waterfront industry would not be the competitive and efficient one we see today.

Deal with it you lot!

Quote:

No actually he didn't - The government helping the business to work outside the law and morality hurt the industry for no reason.

The basis of the dispute was to swap out the workforce to overseas imported workers on low pay rates and to introduce automated technology.

In the end they had 3 cranes standing at the port unused 25 years later.

This is the technology they wanted to use to supposedly improve productivity. It never got to the point where these cranes could match the workers performance and were never used.

There was also a safety issue that the cranes could not correctly identify the different containers which produced an extreme danger when a crane picked up a container with a different size than it believed. It could literally try to put a container into a slot where it didn't fit or worse still into an area where there were people.

They got improved productivity in the end by negotiating a bonus system with existing workers. They had a set number of containers to unload in a shift with a bonus for extra.

This was the increased productivity and it had nothing to do with the dispute, this was always on the table.

A disappointment to me was that the union didn't follow through with the court case, the court had found that the government had a case to answer. The Gov done a deal with the unions to get out of it.

Exactly ... Howard, Reith, Downer, Abbott & Costello  Roll Eyes what a group of arseholes.

"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It's only painful and difficult for others. The same applies when you are stupid." ~ Ricky Gervais

IP Logged

thegreatdivide
Gold Member

Australian Politics<br
/>

Reply #62 - Nov 19th, 2022 at 6:17pm

Lisa Jones wrote on Nov 18th, 2022 at 2:00pm:
Look to be fair I was a busy student back when Peter Reith was active in politics. This might be WHY I've clashed with just about everyone on OzPol over the Patrick Corporation affair.

You - like Reith - prefer the idea of "being your own boss", with its possibility of becoming  richer than relying on award wages, and hence fight for the advantage of employers.

Most people are drawn to waged occupations as workers, and see the need for unions to defend wages and conditions.

I note your contempt for "union thugs" who might play hardball for the workers they represent.

The current disagreement over the new Workplace Relations bill is based on the need for much (most) small business to minimize their employees' wages, so small business can survive in a competitive market. Big business is different and can afford to pay decent wages.

[/quote]

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #63 - Nov 22nd, 2022 at 5:58am

thegreatdivide wrote on Nov 19th, 2022 at 6:17pm:
Look to be fair I was a busy student back when Peter Reith was active in politics. This might be WHY I've clashed with just about everyone on OzPol over the Patrick Corporation affair.

You - like Reith - prefer the idea of "being your own boss", with its possibility of becoming  richer than relying on award wages, and hence fight for the advantage of employers.

Most people are drawn to waged occupations as workers, and see the need for unions to defend wages and conditions.

I note your contempt for "union thugs" who might play hardball for the workers they represent.

The current disagreement over the new Workplace Relations bill is based on the need for much (most) small business to minimize their employees' wages, so small business can survive in a competitive market. Big business is different and can afford to pay decent wages.

[/quote]

Sorry but small business doesn't get off the hook because of competition.

Regardless of size of business if you can't afford to pay decent livable wages then you shouldn't be in business.

So the owners of those small businesses always looking to cut wages should either do the work themselves or work out a new business model.

"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It's only painful and difficult for others. The same applies when you are stupid." ~ Ricky Gervais

IP Logged

thegreatdivide
Gold Member

Australian Politics<br
/>

Reply #64 - Nov 22nd, 2022 at 1:28pm

Gnads wrote on Nov 22nd, 2022 at 5:58am:

Regardless of size of business if you can't afford to pay decent livable wages then you shouldn't be in business.

Agreed, but unfortunately most of our economy is based on mickey mouse small business - a 'nation of shop keepers', and wannabe entrepreneurs.....

Quote:
So the owners of those small businesses always looking to cut wages should either do the work themselves or work out a new business model.

Yes.

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #65 - Nov 22nd, 2022 at 1:33pm

Peter Reith somehow avoided trial for encouraging vicious dogs to maul workers -
giving them severe injuries requiring hospitalisation.
How would he have liked that to happen to him or his own family members?
He was a monster.

IP Logged

Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Reply #66 - Nov 22nd, 2022 at 2:36pm

thegreatdivide wrote on Nov 22nd, 2022 at 1:28pm:
Gnads wrote on Nov 22nd, 2022 at 5:58am:

Agreed, but unfortunately most of our economy is based on mickey mouse small business - a 'nation of shop keepers', and wannabe entrepreneurs.....

Quote:

Yes.

Quote:
but unfortunately most of our economy is based on mickey mouse small business - a 'nation of shop keepers', and wannabe entrepreneurs.....

If they pay the minimum wage they are in no trouble. It isn't much. Many of the business owners I have known claiming to be in this position have actually been doing fairly well or better.  While there are likely exceptions many are doing very well.

I knew one guy who had about 6 or 8 employees on a low wage because of how tough it was. His accountant recommended that he buy a Ferrari to minimise his tax bill. Not sure how that worked but I got a ride in his Ferrari.

IP Logged

thegreatdivide
Gold Member

Australian Politics<br
/>

Reply #67 - Nov 22nd, 2022 at 2:58pm

Dnarever wrote on Nov 22nd, 2022 at 2:36pm:
I knew one guy who had about 6 or 8 employees on a low wage because of how tough it was. His accountant recommended that he buy a Ferrari to minimise his tax bill. Not sure how that worked but I got a ride in his Ferrari.

Exactly!

IP Logged

aquascoot
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #68 - Nov 22nd, 2022 at 3:18pm

top bloke.

my uncle used to dry hire end-loaders to the wharfies.

they would invariably sabotage the machine and then retire to the rec room for hours of playing pool.

one time they actually unscrewed the gear stick and chucked it on the floor of the cab and said it "fell off"

that it undid the 3 bolts holding it on by itself.

thank god for noble politicians like peter to take on these scum

IP Logged

thegreatdivide
Gold Member

Australian Politics<br
/>

Reply #69 - Nov 22nd, 2022 at 3:33pm

aquascoot wrote on Nov 22nd, 2022 at 3:18pm:
top bloke.

they would invariably sabotage the machine and then retire to the rec room for hours of playing pool.

one time they actually unscrewed the gear stick and chucked it on the floor of the cab and said it "fell off"

Reith was the wrong man for the job; those warf dropouts needed some education, and instillment of some self-esteem, not a union-basher like Reith

IP Logged

Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Reply #70 - Nov 22nd, 2022 at 3:37pm

aquascoot wrote on Nov 22nd, 2022 at 3:18pm:
top bloke.

Yet they need to get their quota of work done in order to start on their bonus for the shift ? Most of them depend on reaching their bonus total to earn their wage. Over the last 25 years if anyone in the team were to do this the rest of the team would beat him senseless.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print