Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Send Topic Print
Zelenskyy speech to Congress (Read 2056 times)
greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Zelenskyy speech to Congress
Reply #45 - Dec 24th, 2022 at 12:51pm

Frank wrote on Dec 24th, 2022 at 12:46pm:
MeisterEckhart wrote on Dec 24th, 2022 at 12:27pm:
Frank wrote on Dec 24th, 2022 at 11:37am:
Why exactly is this war happening? What would have been the greater calamity it was calculated to prevent?  What will it achieve?

For the greater glory of Mother Russia. The metonymic archetype of Russia as a mother is bone-deep in the Russian psyche and, as far as Russians are concerned, Ukrainians have spat in their mother's face by rejecting her and turning to the west.

And for that adolescent idiotic national pride thousands must die, starve, freeze, suffer, be homeless, displaced, raped, tortured, maimed.

Well, your man Putin IS a monster.

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #46 - Dec 24th, 2022 at 12:52pm

greggerypeccary wrote on Dec 24th, 2022 at 12:51pm:
Why exactly is this war happening? What would have been the greater calamity it was calculated to prevent?  What will it achieve?

For the greater glory of Mother Russia. The metonymic archetype of Russia as a mother is bone-deep in the Russian psyche and, as far as Russians are concerned, Ukrainians have spat in their mother's face by rejecting her and turning to the west.

And for that adolescent idiotic national pride thousands must die, starve, freeze, suffer, be homeless, displaced, raped, tortured, maimed.

Bugger off, lying stinking turd.
How is Puting my man?

Estragon: I can’t go on like this.
Vladimir: That’s what you think.

IP Logged

MeisterEckhart
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #47 - Dec 24th, 2022 at 1:08pm

When the war is over what will be better? Will Russia be prouder of itself and.... er..... that's it? That's worth it in their minds?

In the 90s I had a Russian student who wanted to go to Serbia to 'fight with his brothers' against whoever the Serbs were fighting. I told him not to be an idiot, the Serbs were not his 'brothers'. He looked at me incomprehending.  Then I remembered that 80 years before the Russians sided with their Serbian brothers and WWI was on.

For ancient social sensibilities, countless millions over centuries have died, starved, frozen, suffered, made homeless, been displaced, raped, tortured, and maimed.

And it's not for any frivolous reason that Serbia backs Russia in this war.

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #48 - Dec 24th, 2022 at 1:18pm

Frank wrote on Dec 24th, 2022 at 12:52pm:
greggerypeccary wrote on Dec 24th, 2022 at 12:51pm:

Bugger off, lying stinking turd.
How is Puting my man?

You're taking Russia's side, dear.

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #49 - Dec 24th, 2022 at 1:20pm

issuevoter wrote on Dec 23rd, 2022 at 9:27pm:
Slavs don't hold a patent on sectarian hatred. Look at Ireland or Africa. And the only reason the British stopped butchering each other was a strong defence of Parliamentary law. But there is another aspect of Ukraine's war with Russia that you overlook in your attempt to tar all Slavs with the same brush. It is the Orange Revolution of 2004-2014, which clearly demonstrated Ukrainians intention to reject Russian authoritarianism and seek social and political models aligned with Western Europe.

Exactly. They figured out the 'rule of law' 300 years ago.

Which European country has no ethnic minorities because the shifting borders over the centuries?
Why does Russia want more territory, it is already enormous. What the bugger is it about the "Russian soul" that makes them so stupid and sentimental, corrupt and suspicious of everyone?
Are the Russian and other minorities in Ukraine fully emancipated or are they under the Ukrainian nationalist heel to various degrees?

Come come, old boy. It's a punch in the face to the effete liberal world order you've been railing against for years, remember?

Vlad's one of the old boys. He may even have attended the prestigious University of Balogney.

There's no use trying to put this onto the "slavic race", dear. This one's all Putin, with a little help from his friends.

You share the same Ruski Mir, no?

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #50 - Dec 24th, 2022 at 1:25pm

MeisterEckhart wrote on Dec 24th, 2022 at 1:08pm:

When the war is over what will be better? Will Russia be prouder of itself and.... er..... that's it? That's worth it in their minds?

In the 90s I had a Russian student who wanted to go to Serbia to 'fight with his brothers' against whoever the Serbs were fighting. I told him not to be an idiot, the Serbs were not his 'brothers'. He looked at me incomprehending.  Then I remembered that 80 years before the Russians sided with their Serbian brothers and WWI was on.

For ancient social sensibilities, countless millions over centuries have died, starved, frozen, suffered, made homeless, been displaced, raped, tortured, and maimed.

Serbia is the Balkan version of Russia.  I don't know why they have such a strong affinity when, say, the Czechs and Russians don't.

Why the largest country in the world has an abiding inferiority complex is another question. Perhaps size is destiny and they can't imagine being a second-tier power behind the Brits, the French and Germans. They are a bloody bully in their own neighbourhood.

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #51 - Dec 24th, 2022 at 1:37pm

Mattyfisk wrote on Dec 24th, 2022 at 1:20pm:
Slavs don't hold a patent on sectarian hatred. Look at Ireland or Africa. And the only reason the British stopped butchering each other was a strong defence of Parliamentary law. But there is another aspect of Ukraine's war with Russia that you overlook in your attempt to tar all Slavs with the same brush. It is the Orange Revolution of 2004-2014, which clearly demonstrated Ukrainians intention to reject Russian authoritarianism and seek social and political models aligned with Western Europe.

Which European country has no ethnic minorities because the shifting borders over the centuries?
Why does Russia want more territory, it is already enormous. What the bugger is it about the "Russian soul" that makes them so stupid and sentimental, corrupt and suspicious of everyone?
Are the Russian and other minorities in Ukraine fully emancipated or are they under the Ukrainian nationalist heel to various degrees?

Come come, old boy. It's a punch in the face to the effete liberal world order you've been railing against for years, remember?

Vlad's one of the old boys. He may even have attended the prestigious University of Balogney.

There's no use trying to put this onto the "slavic race", dear. This one's all Putin, with a little help from his friends.

The Russians have been doing this for centuries, paki. In the 16th century it was just a Dukedom around Moscow,  the Grand Dutchy of Moscow.

Talk about colonialist expansion.

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #52 - Dec 24th, 2022 at 1:39pm

Frank wrote on Dec 24th, 2022 at 1:25pm:

Serbia is the Balkan version of Russia.  I don't know why they have such a strong affinity when, say, the Czechs and Russians don't.

Why the largest country in the world has an abiding inferiority complex is another question. Perhaps size is destiny and they can't imagine being a second-tier power behind the Brits, the French and Germans. They are a bloody bully in their own neighbourhood.

Why?

They went from the world's second biggest military power to being bankrupted and turned into a minor republic in the space of six months. A KGB agent was given the reins, handed industry and the media over to his old boy friends and created the kind of chest-thumping, propaganda-driven, hierarchical power model of you've been praising for years.

You know why, old boy. It's just convenient for you to turn to Nazi racial theory to excuse yourself.

We are at war with Eurasia. We have always been at war with Eurasia, no?

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #53 - Dec 24th, 2022 at 2:11pm

Frank wrote on Dec 24th, 2022 at 1:37pm:
Mattyfisk wrote on Dec 24th, 2022 at 1:20pm:

The Russians have been doing this for centuries, paki. In the 16th century it was just a Dukedom around Moscow,  the Grand Dutchy of Moscow.

Talk about colonialist expansion.

Always absolutely never ever, eh?

Come come, you tried that one with the Crusades.

I must say, I always thought Chi-na would be your next one. We didn't expect you to turn on Vlad, you know, the guy behind your Dear Leader. Not even Donnie's doing that.

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #54 - Dec 24th, 2022 at 2:42pm

Mattyfisk wrote on Dec 24th, 2022 at 1:39pm:

Why?

They went from the world's second biggest military power to being bankrupted and turned into a minor republic in the space of six months. A KGB agent was given the reins, handed industry and the media over to his old boy friends and created the kind of chest-thumping, propaganda-driven, hierarchical power model of you've been praising for years.

You know why, old boy. It's just convenient for you to turn to Nazi racial theory to excuse yourself.

We are at war with Eurasia. We have always been at war with Eurasia, no?

Grimacing gibberish, paki.

IP Logged

MeisterEckhart
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #55 - Dec 24th, 2022 at 3:05pm

Russian cultural sensibility identifies Kievan Rus as the birthplace of Mother Russia.

While the Soviet Union existed, any sense of Ukrainian independence from Russia was not an issue.

Russians generally do not consider Ukraine an identifiably independent state - Even Navalny believes that Ukraine is socially, culturally and politically Russian or Russo-centric.

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #56 - Dec 24th, 2022 at 3:27pm

The aoul which had been destroyed was that in
which Hadji Murad had spent the night before
he went over to the Russians. Sado and his family had
left the aoul on the approach of the Russian de-
tachment, and when he returned he found his saklya in
ruins—the roof fallen in, the door and the posts sup-
porting the penthouse burned, and the interior filthy.
His son, the handsome bright-eyed boy who had gazed
with such ecstasy at Hadji Murad, was brought dead
to the mosque on a horse covered with a barka; he had
been stabbed in the back with a bayonet. the dignified
woman who had served Hadji Murad when he was at
the house now stood over her son’s body, her smock
torn in front, her withered old breasts exposed, her hair
down, and she dug her hails into her face till it bled,
and wailed incessantly. Sado, taking a pick-axe and
spade, had gone with his relatives to dig a grave for his
son. The old grandfather sat by the wall of the ruined
saklya cutting a stick and gazing stolidly in front of him.
He had only just returned from the apiary.
The two stacks of hay there had been burnt, the apricot and
cherry trees he had planted and reared were broken
and scorched, and worse still all the beehives and bees
had been burnt. The wailing of the women and the little
children, who cried with their mothers, mingled with
the lowing of the hungry cattle for whom there was no
food. The bigger children, instead of playing, followed
their elders with frightened eyes. The fountain was pol-
luted, evidently on purpose, so that the water could not
be used. The mosque was polluted in the same way, and
the Mullah and his assistants were cleaning it out. No
one spoke of hatred of the Russians. the feeling experi-
enced by all the Chechens, from the youngest to the
oldest, was stronger than hate. It was not hatred, for
they did not regard those Russian dogs as human be-
ings, but it was such repulsion, disgust, and perplexity
at the senseless cruelty of these creatures, that the de-
sire to exterminate them—like the desire to exterminate
rats, poisonous spiders, or wolves—was as natural an
instinct as that of self-preservation.

The inhabitants of the aoul were confronted by the
choice of remaining there and restoring with frightful
effort what had been produced with such labor and had
been so lightly and senselessly destroyed, facing every
moment the possibility of a repetition of what had hap-
pened; or to submit to the Russians—contrary to their
religion and despite the repulsion and contempt they
felt for them. The old men prayed, and unanimously
decided to send envoys to Shamil asking him for help.
Then they immediately set to work to restore what had
been destroyed.

Tolstoy, Hadji Murat

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #57 - Dec 24th, 2022 at 3:36pm

‘The Russian soldiers raped every German female from eight to 80’

Red Army soldiers don't believe in 'individual liaisons' with German women," wrote the playwright Zakhar Agranenko in his diary when serving as an officer of marine infantry in East Prussia. "Nine, ten, twelve men at a time - they rape them on a collective basis."

The subject of the Red Army's mass rapes in Germany has been so repressed in Russia that even today veterans refuse to acknowledge what really happened. The handful prepared to speak openly, hdowever, are totally unrepentant. "They all lifted their skirts for us and lay on the bed," said the leader of one tank company. He even went on to boast that "two million of our children were born" in Germany.

The capacity of Soviet officers to convince themselves that most of the victims were either happy with their fate, or at least accepted that it was their turn to suffer after what the Wehrmacht had done in Russia, is striking. "Our fellows were so sex-starved," a Soviet major told a British journalist at the time, "that they often raped old women of sixty, seventy or even eighty - much to these grandmothers' surprise, if not downright delight."

One can only scratch at the surface of the psychological contradictions. When gang-raped women in Königsberg begged their attackers afterwards to put them out of their misery, the Red Army men appear to have felt insulted. "Russian soldiers do not shoot women," they replied. "Only German soldiers do that." The Red Army had managed to convince itself that because it had assumed the moral mission to liberate Europe from fascism it could behave entirely as it liked, both personally and politically.
https://www.theguardian.com/books/2002/may/01/news.features11

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #58 - Dec 24th, 2022 at 3:59pm

russia is one of the worst countries in the world

no wonder death by alcohol is common there

Modern Classic Right Wing

IP Logged

Baronvonrort
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #59 - Dec 24th, 2022 at 6:04pm

joe_10_big.jpg (41 KB | 3 )
joe_10_big.jpg

Leftists and the Ayatollahs have a lot in common when it comes to criticism of Islam, they don't tolerate it.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Send Topic Print