Gold Member

Australian Politics

melbourne
Re: Retirement ideas
Reply #16 - Jan 3rd, 2023 at 7:02am

Federal election 2022: Greens push to reduce retirement age, boost pension

Canberra Times
April 8 2022

Greens welfare spokeswoman Janet Rice has announced a push to lower the retirement age to 65

More than 500,000 older Australians would get earlier access to a bolstered age pension under a $5.6 billion Greens plan.

On the eve of the federal election, the Greens have vowed to pressure an Albanese Labor government to return the retirement age to 65 if they hold the balance of power in the next Federal Parliament.

The move would require Labor to reverse a Rudd government policy which has gradually raised the pension age to 67.

The change would grant more than 520,000 people earlier access to the age pension, which the Greens are pushing to raise to $88-per-day as part of a wider shakeup of the social security system.

"The Liberals and Labor have abandoned older voters and working families across the country," Greens welfare spokeswoman Janet Rice said.

"There are hundreds of thousands of older Australians living in poverty, counting the days until their next birthday so they can finally reach pension age.   Sad

"Enabling earlier access to the age pension will reduce poverty in Australia, and support thousands of older Australians who deserve better from our government."

IP Logged

whiteknight
Gold Member

Australian Politics

melbourne
Reply #17 - Jan 3rd, 2023 at 7:11am

Yes good on the Australian Greens.  The government funded pension should be put back to 65.  It was labor that raised it to 67 years of age.  The good old Coalition rat bags, wanted to put it up to 70 years of age.  A pension age of 65 is far more than enough.   Sad    

IP Logged

Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Reply #18 - Jan 3rd, 2023 at 7:37am

issuevoter wrote on Jan 2nd, 2023 at 10:53pm:
At mid 60s, a person who actually has not figured out what they intend to do in their retirement, has wasted an awful lot of time.

A lot of people live day to day.

IP Logged

Lisa Jones
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Retirement Age to be redefined??
Reply #19 - Jan 3rd, 2023 at 11:25am

whiteknight wrote on Jan 3rd, 2023 at 7:02am:

Canberra Times
April 8 2022

Greens welfare spokeswoman Janet Rice has announced a push to lower the retirement age to 65

More than 500,000 older Australians would get earlier access to a bolstered age pension under a $5.6 billion Greens plan.

On the eve of the federal election, the Greens have vowed to pressure an Albanese Labor government to return the retirement age to 65 if they hold the balance of power in the next Federal Parliament.

The move would require Labor to reverse a Rudd government policy which has gradually raised the pension age to 67.

The change would grant more than 520,000 people earlier access to the age pension, which the Greens are pushing to raise to $88-per-day as part of a wider shakeup of the social security system.

"The Liberals and Labor have abandoned older voters and working families across the country," Greens welfare spokeswoman Janet Rice said.

"There are hundreds of thousands of older Australians living in poverty, counting the days until their next birthday so they can finally reach pension age.   Sad

"Enabling earlier access to the age pension will reduce poverty in Australia, and support thousands of older Australians who deserve better from our government."

Ahh so it WAS a Labor govt policy which raised retirement from 65 to 67.

Many thanks for confirming that 👌

If I let myself be bought then I am no longer free.

HYPATIA - Greek philosopher, mathematician and astronomer (370 - 415)

IP Logged

issuevoter
Gold Member

Australian Politics

The Great State of Mind
Re: Retirement Age to be redefined??
Reply #20 - Jan 3rd, 2023 at 11:46am

Lisa Jones wrote on Jan 3rd, 2023 at 11:25am:

Canberra Times
April 8 2022

They claimed it was because people were living longer. Keeping people working at 65 is something we cannot generalise. Some people are wrecks at 55. Anyway, let's be honest, the real reason was to save money.

No political allegiance. No philosophy. No religion.

IP Logged

Steampipe
Gold Member

Australian Politics

WA
Reply #21 - Jan 3rd, 2023 at 1:26pm

I have been planning my retirement for the last 7 years and just had six months long service so I could decide if I was ready for retirement. I just turned 60 before xmas and will now burn up my accrued sick leave and finish work in two months.

I have never been so busy helping my children, travelling, gardening, spending time with my wife and enjoying life. I intend to spend winters travelling.

I have read for a good retirement you need about 80,000 a year if you have no debts.

IP Logged

Lisa Jones
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #22 - Jan 3rd, 2023 at 3:17pm

issuevoter wrote on Jan 3rd, 2023 at 11:46am:

Canberra Times
April 8 2022

They claimed it was because people were living longer. Keeping people working at 65 is something we cannot generalise. Some people are wrecks at 55. Anyway, let's be honest, the real reason was to save money.

The elderly have been dying like flies since Covid19. So I don't think they're living longer nowadays.

IP Logged

Carl D
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Rivervale, Perth
Reply #23 - Jan 3rd, 2023 at 3:23pm

And Scott Morrison and the Liberals were looking at raising the pension age to 70 by 2035 about 6 months before the 2019 Federal election.

Once he realised he and the Liberals would have been committing political suicide if he went ahead with the idea it was quickly and quietly dropped.

** Repeat Covid infections exercise our immune system in the same way that repeat concussions exercise our brain **

IP Logged

Lisa Jones
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #24 - Jan 3rd, 2023 at 3:29pm

Steampipe wrote on Jan 3rd, 2023 at 1:26pm:
I have been planning my retirement for the last 7 years and just had six months long service so I could decide if I was ready for retirement. I just turned 60 before xmas and will now burn up my accrued sick leave and finish work in two months.

I have never been so busy helping my children, travelling, gardening, spending time with my wife and enjoying life. I intend to spend winters travelling.

I have read for a good retirement you need about 80,000 a year if you have no debts.

Or a wife who still works.

I personally think 60 is too young to FULLY retire. If I were you I'd think about working part time/casual shifts til you hit 65 which will also help to keep your mind going.

My husband's most recent payslip shows these accruals: 3 months Annual leave, 6 months LSL leave, 5 RDO's and 10 sick days.

He's not retiring until 67. Having said that he has mentioned that he'll retire earlier IF he's given a redundancy package.

Given the current global recession a redundancy payout is wishful thinking. It isn't gonna happen.

IP Logged

issuevoter
Gold Member

Australian Politics

The Great State of Mind
Reply #25 - Jan 3rd, 2023 at 4:59pm

Quote:
Lisa:
The elderly have been dying like flies since Covid19. So I don't think they're living longer nowadays.

My point is that even if some are living longer, it does not mean they are fit to work. Its the bean counters trying to sugarcoat saving a buck while pretending the policy is about health and longevity.

IP Logged

aquascoot
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #26 - Jan 3rd, 2023 at 5:25pm

with a quadrupling of the over 80's in the next 15 years, there will be waiting lists to get on waiting lists for nearly everything

elective surgery
a nursing home bed
home care
dentistry
public housing

the standard of living of our elderly peaked in 2019.

its all downhill from there.

if you arent taking personal responsibility for your old age, you are going to be royally screwed

albo cant help you,

you will be relying on your social network

you better hope you have been contributing to your local community (and can get some karma back)  because if you are an isolated taker, you are doomed

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #27 - Jan 3rd, 2023 at 5:44pm

Steampipe wrote on Jan 3rd, 2023 at 1:26pm:

That is the curly question.
We are a couple with 0 debts, simple tastes.
Estimates we have been given are $60k each will be more than comfortable.
We are probably living on less than that now.

If you want a new car every 3 years and overseas trips for 6 weeks twice a year, it will be dearer.

Also, once you reach a bit older - mid 70's - your spending drops dramatically.
Many pensioners do not spend all their pension.

Modern Classic Right Wing

IP Logged

Lisa Jones
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #28 - Jan 3rd, 2023 at 6:44pm

issuevoter wrote on Jan 3rd, 2023 at 4:59pm:
Quote:
Lisa:

My point is that even if some are living longer, it does not mean they are fit to work. Its the bean counters trying to sugarcoat saving a buck while pretending the policy is about health and longevity.

Actually .... you're quite right.

IP Logged

issuevoter
Gold Member

Australian Politics

The Great State of Mind
Reply #29 - Jan 3rd, 2023 at 8:25pm

Lisa Jones wrote on Jan 3rd, 2023 at 6:44pm:
issuevoter wrote on Jan 3rd, 2023 at 4:59pm:
Quote:
Lisa:

Actually .... you're quite right.

I don't understand why they don't just fess up. Are they afraid it will undermine their policy when they sell themselves as being all about social programs like the age pension? I can think of plenty of reasons to hate the LNP, but this kind of diversion is why I don't trust the Labor Party and Leftist in general. They do stuff like this, and then claim to be morally superior to the LNP. And people believe it?

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Send Topic Print