Send Topic Print
Retirement ideas (Read 1734 times)
John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Retirement ideas
Reply #45 - Jan 6th, 2023 at 7:40am

Sprintcyclist wrote on Jan 2nd, 2023 at 3:38pm:
Am in my 60's and we have been planning our retirement for some time.
Took a month off work for a hollie and kept in my mind that this could be a guide to our retirement.

1st and 2nd weeks of hollie I thought I am not ready for retirement at this stage. It'ld be really bad for me.

3rd week, began to look at where I can alter my life so retirement is really good.

4th week - Agreed with me.  ' ...It'ld be really bad for me.  .... AND  .........  I can alter my life so retirement is really good.'

You're into your gardening, why not join your local community gardens?

As well as the social aspect it gets you outside in the fresh air and keeps you active, plus depending on what you end up doing with the food you're helping your community at the same time.

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

Ayn Marx
Gold Member

Australian Politics

South of Australia
Reply #46 - Jan 6th, 2023 at 8:56am

John Smith wrote on Jan 6th, 2023 at 7:40am:
Took a month off work for a hollie and kept in my mind that this could be a guide to our retirement.

1st and 2nd weeks of hollie I thought I am not ready for retirement at this stage. It'ld be really bad for me.

3rd week, began to look at where I can alter my life so retirement is really good.

4th week - Agreed with me.  ' ...It'ld be really bad for me.  .... AND  .........  I can alter my life so retirement is really good.'

As well as the social aspect it gets you outside in the fresh air and keeps you active, plus depending on what you end up doing with the food you're helping your community at the same time.

I tried that one until discovering widespread usage of glyphosate in the veggie patch.
« Last Edit: Jan 6th, 2023 at 9:11am by Ayn Marx »  

The Human Race is Insane

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #47 - Jan 6th, 2023 at 10:40am

Ayn Marx wrote on Jan 6th, 2023 at 8:56am:
John Smith wrote on Jan 6th, 2023 at 7:40am:

I tried that one until discovering widespread usage of glyphosate in the veggie patch.

whats wrong with round up? I love the stuff Cheesy

but my local community garden only uses natural weed killers which they make themselves

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

Sophia
Gold Member

Reply #48 - Jan 6th, 2023 at 2:49pm

We are there… at crossroads of retirement… but I can’t see that I will be retired as housework, shopping, cooking, sorting accounts… will still always keep me un-retired!

Hubby in other hand… I was thinking in last few months… his hobbies are all physical… getting on the tractor and slashing paddocks… using his log splitter to cut wood for winter… and boating/jet skiing.
Then he has part time work he does but it’s still physical.

When he’s in the house… it’s TV/watch dvds, or internet (which he only started doing during kovid lockdown.)

My hobbies are doing creative projects… and I’m thinking joining a tai chi class, I also want to help out at animal shelters in any way I can… walk the dogs, give them lots of love and cuddles … source out much blankets and towels…
But I’ve always mentioned to hubby to let’s go fishing. He’s never interested… so looks like I’m doing that alone… I just bought myself a fishing rod for Chrissy prez.

Now… lately he’s been hospitalised for 8 days since 16 Dec
And at home recovering unable to do anything so I’ve been nurse as well as chief cook and bottle washer.

I keep reminding him (I try not scowling too much  Grin) that we could do some more travelling in our beautiful Australian country, instead of just being available for work!
I want to do the shipwreck coast along Victoria… I had been constantly saying (well nagging actually) to hubby we should do what we can while still physically able.
We are both 68.
I say that if he keeps using up all his physical energy to work… there may not be any for travel etc
Well now it’s happened. He’s at home unable to do anything and waiting for kidney to heal and then has laser surgery after.

If something like this doesn’t adjust his mentality about work … then I give up.

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #49 - Jan 6th, 2023 at 5:12pm

aquascoot wrote on Jan 2nd, 2023 at 5:57pm:
greggerypeccary wrote on Jan 2nd, 2023 at 5:49pm:
No one on their death bed ever said "I wish I had spent more time at work".

https://i.pinimg.com/474x/9e/b6/a1/9eb6a19944a5352a04a700503a886e29.jpg

i love work and love my 2 businesses.
will never stop.

retirement would require a project.

i have a 200 acre block of rubbishy scrub that i have slowly been regenerating

i think i will probably work on that and get the grandkids involved in replanting the gullies and trying to get ferns and other nice rainforest vegetation back.

i feel sorry for people that had a job they didnt like for many years.
it would be worse then being in a marriage they didnt like for many years.

they should have got out.

certainly the plan is to remain super active as i'm sure sprint is doing.

once some illness takes over to the point i cant bounce out of bed and do anything other then exist, i'll be departing.

most people linger way too long in old age

they suffer, their families suffer watching a slow deterioration.
if you are surviving but not thriving , what is it exactly you are hoping to attain?

Well said Aqua.
Can tell you're going to have a good ski down the slope, rather than tumble down like a snowball.

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #50 - Jan 6th, 2023 at 7:51pm

Sophia wrote on Jan 6th, 2023 at 2:49pm:
We are there… at crossroads of retirement… but I can’t see that I will be retired as housework, shopping, cooking, sorting accounts… will still always keep me un-retired!

Hubby in other hand… I was thinking in last few months… his hobbies are all physical… getting on the tractor and slashing paddocks… using his log splitter to cut wood for winter… and boating/jet skiing.

When he’s in the house… it’s TV/watch dvds, or internet (which he only started doing during kovid lockdown.)

My hobbies are doing creative projects… and I’m thinking joining a tai chi class, I also want to help out at animal shelters in any way I can… walk the dogs, give them lots of love and cuddles … source out much blankets and towels…
But I’ve always mentioned to hubby to let’s go fishing. He’s never interested… so looks like I’m doing that alone… I just bought myself a fishing rod for Chrissy prez.

And at home recovering unable to do anything so I’ve been nurse as well as chief cook and bottle washer.

I keep reminding him (I try not scowling too much  Grin) that we could do some more travelling in our beautiful Australian country, instead of just being available for work!
I want to do the shipwreck coast along Victoria… I had been constantly saying (well nagging actually) to hubby we should do what we can while still physically able.
We are both 68.
I say that if he keeps using up all his physical energy to work… there may not be any for travel etc
Well now it’s happened. He’s at home unable to do anything and waiting for kidney to heal and then has laser surgery after.

If something like this doesn’t adjust his mentality about work … then I give up.

Thanks for sharing that.

Your attitude might show a few reasons why women live longer than men.

' .......... My hobbies are doing creative projects… and I’m thinking joining a tai chi class, I also want to help out at animal shelters in any way I can… walk the dogs, give them lots of love and cuddles ......... '

Women are more involved, more connected.

Modern Classic Right Wing

IP Logged

Steampipe
Gold Member

Australian Politics

WA
Reply #51 - Jan 6th, 2023 at 7:57pm

Sprintcyclist wrote on Jan 6th, 2023 at 7:51pm:
Sophia wrote on Jan 6th, 2023 at 2:49pm:

We are both 68.

Thanks for sharing that.

Your attitude might show a few reasons why women live longer than men.

' .......... My hobbies are doing creative projects… and I’m thinking joining a tai chi class, I also want to help out at animal shelters in any way I can… walk the dogs, give them lots of love and cuddles ......... '

Women are more involved, more connected.

Women live longer than men because men look after women much better. (its a joke everyone). Smiley

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #52 - Jan 7th, 2023 at 6:56am

Captain Caveman wrote on Jan 3rd, 2023 at 6:44am:
Volunteer marine rescue for me.
That is a while off yet though.

Such things are a very good option.
I did Marine Rescue for a few years, before I had to move away. There is always a Volunteer establishment somewhere that rewards the participant with a great 'social' engagement and even 'empowerment' within the Community or area. Even the CWA's hold a good influence and say, even in this day and age - for good reason. After Covid, their memberships tripled.

When younger, Volunteer was great. Didn't get paid, but sure did get laid. Ahh - the best things in life are free.  Smiley

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #53 - Jan 7th, 2023 at 6:59am

whiteknight wrote on Jan 3rd, 2023 at 7:11am:
Yes good on the Australian Greens.  The government funded pension should be put back to 65.  It was labor that raised it to 67 years of age.  The good old Coalition rat bags, wanted to put it up to 70 years of age.  A pension age of 65 is far more than enough.   Sad    

Living longer these days WK.
Retirement should be 70.
Unless you want this country to go broke like Greece where its 'young' Retire'es sponged the money away?

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #54 - Jan 7th, 2023 at 7:05am

Captain Nemo wrote on Jan 4th, 2023 at 10:34am:
Steampipe wrote on Jan 3rd, 2023 at 1:26pm:
I have been planning my retirement for the last 7 years and just had six months long service so I could decide if I was ready for retirement. I just turned 60 before xmas and will now burn up my accrued sick leave and finish work in two months.

I have never been so busy helping my children, travelling, gardening, spending time with my wife and enjoying life. I intend to spend winters travelling.

I have read for a good retirement you need about 80,000 a year if you have no debts.

If debt free, you don't need $80,000 a year to "survive" in retirement.

About $40,000 is enough, but if you want extensive travel, then you would need more.

I retired early and it was the best thing I ever did - I was in a very stressful role : on-call production support for business critical IT systems.

I'm much happier now.  Cool

Don't blame you.
Stress - ages people far more, than even drug and alcohol addictions. I quit a $1,000 (max) a day job because of the toxic, abusive stress of the work (for a Yank company). Quitting felt like Atlas letting go of the world and I didn't miss the money one bit.

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #55 - Jan 7th, 2023 at 7:07am

Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on Jan 4th, 2023 at 6:43pm:
Trader Grappler's 50 foot sailing boat with two masts and small base in the Azores sounds good... gits me a cargo cult going.... far from the madding crowd..... and answering to no asshole....

Ahh - the Azorres. Yes.  Cool

Also - Women live longer then Men because their second 'X' in their XX make-up, is a back-up repair kit.

Males don't have a back-up repair kit with just a one 'X' and a 'Y'. But male dreams live longer - that's 'y'.  Wink

IP Logged

whiteknight
Gold Member

Australian Politics

melbourne
Reply #56 - Jan 7th, 2023 at 7:47am

The government funded pension age of 65 is far more than enough.  It should be even less than that.  A pension age of 70 years old is absolutely ridiculous.  Thank goodness it did not go to that.  Which is what the coalition rat bags, were seriously wanting to do at one stage.  A very good reason to vote Australian Greens.  At least they want to keep the government funded pension, at 65 years of age.   Sad            

IP Logged

Lisa Jones
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #57 - Jan 7th, 2023 at 8:01am

whiteknight wrote on Jan 7th, 2023 at 7:47am:
The government funded pension age of 65 is far more than enough.  It should be even less than that.  A pension age of 70 years old is absolutely ridiculous.  Thank goodness it did not go to that.  Which is what the coalition rat bags, were seriously wanting to do at one stage.  A very good reason to vote Australian Greens.  At least they want to keep the government funded pension, at 65 years of age.   Sad            

The Greens???

👇 These clueless idiots???

https://www.ozpolitic.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1670552241/24#24

If I let myself be bought then I am no longer free.

HYPATIA - Greek philosopher, mathematician and astronomer (370 - 415)

IP Logged

whiteknight
Gold Member

Australian Politics

melbourne
Reply #58 - Jan 7th, 2023 at 8:26am

Well I cant see either labor or for that matter, the coalition wanting to put the government funded pension age back to 65.  Maybe it could happen one day, but my guess is its not very likely.   Sad       

IP Logged

Lisa Jones
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #59 - Jan 7th, 2023 at 8:46am

whiteknight wrote on Jan 7th, 2023 at 8:26am:
Well I cant see either labor or for that matter, the coalition wanting to put the government funded pension age back to 65.  Maybe it could happen one day, but my guess is its not very likely.   Sad       

WTF is wrong with you? Australia can't afford it! Especially now ffs!

Where have you been hiding for the past few years?

Haven't you heard of Covid19 or global recession yet?

If I let myself be bought then I am no longer free.

HYPATIA - Greek philosopher, mathematician and astronomer (370 - 415)

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print