Send Topic Print
Jacinta's petition (Read 3776 times)
freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Jacinta's petition
Apr 9th, 2023 at 11:55am

Jacinta Nampijinpa Price wants you to vote no, sign the petition, and share this on facebook:

https://www.fairaustralia.com.au/pledge

People who can't distinguish between etymology and entomology bug me in ways I cannot put into words.
IP Logged

thegreatdivide
Gold Member

Australian Politics<br
/>

Re: Jacinta's petition
Reply #1 - Apr 9th, 2023 at 1:47pm

freediver wrote on Apr 9th, 2023 at 11:55am:
Jacinta Nampijinpa Price wants you to vote no, sign the petition, and share this on facebook:

yes, "Australians should be one, together. Not two, divided".

....especially,  no group in Oz should be forced into morale-destroying, destructive welfare dependency, while everyone else can find employment.

https://pavlina-tcherneva.net/the-case-for-a-job-guarantee/

The Case for a Job Guarantee
PAVLINA R. TCHERNEVA

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #2 - Apr 9th, 2023 at 2:04pm

thegreatdivide wrote on Apr 9th, 2023 at 1:47pm:

....especially,  no group in Oz should be forced into morale-destroying, destructive welfare dependency, while everyone else can find employment.

PAVLINA R. TCHERNEVA

Separate issue....

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

thegreatdivide
Gold Member

Australian Politics<br
/>

Reply #3 - Apr 9th, 2023 at 2:06pm

Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on Apr 9th, 2023 at 2:04pm:

PAVLINA R. TCHERNEVA

Separate issue....

https://media3.giphy.com/media/nwMbgNVU7TxjxcopU6/giphy.gif

Nice pic; is it you, graps?

But just to remind you, Price has said "the nation must close the gap".... therefore welfare dependency is not a "separate issue".

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #4 - Apr 9th, 2023 at 3:03pm

slender_005.jpg (39 KB | 6 )
slender_005.jpg

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #5 - Apr 9th, 2023 at 3:15pm

A Country Liberal Party Senator.  She, and her (dubious) Petition can get fuqqed.

No surprise you are flogging her band wagon Effendi.  If you get Mt Warning back to risk your neck on, will you stop sulking and tell us what sound a jellyfish makes??

And if you want to pull out 'Uncle Toms' I'll raise you with an Ash Barty, a Cathy Freeman, a Buddy Franklin, a Patty Mills, a Jonathan Thurston and an Adam Goodes, just for useless, pathetic celebrity starters at least as 'worthy' as your wanker, Jacinta.

If I wanted to get a little further up the credibility ladder from the lowest rung, I might even throw in a Noel Pearson, but...I'm not much of a fan of his.

Not too keen on any of the Abo pro or con lot except one, a bloke.......Ken Wyatt.  I do take him seriously.
« Last Edit: Apr 9th, 2023 at 3:33pm by Aussie »  

IP Logged

thegreatdivide
Gold Member

Australian Politics<br
/>

Reply #6 - Apr 9th, 2023 at 3:19pm

Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on Apr 9th, 2023 at 3:03pm:

Laughter, the best medicine...especially after dealing with slippery customers like FD....

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #7 - Apr 9th, 2023 at 3:43pm

Aussie wrote on Apr 9th, 2023 at 3:15pm:

A Country Liberal Party Senator.  She, and her (dubious) Petition can get fuqqed.

No surprise you are flogging her band wagon Effendi.  If you get Mt Warning back to risk your neck on, will you stop sulking and tell us what sound a jellyfish makes??

And if you want to pull out 'Uncle Toms' I'll raise you with an Ash Barty, a Cathy Freeman, a Buddy Franklin, a Patty Mills, a Jonathan Thurston and an Adam Goodes, just for useless, pathetic celebrity starters at least as 'worthy' as your wanker, Jacinta.

If I wanted to get a little further up the credibility ladder from the lowest rung, I might even throw in a Noel Pearson, but...I'm not much of a fan of his.

Not too keen on any of the Abo pro or con lot except one, a bloke.......Ken Wyatt.  I do take him seriously.

Or, you could develop some principles Aussie.

People who can't distinguish between etymology and entomology bug me in ways I cannot put into words.
IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #8 - Apr 9th, 2023 at 3:59pm

freediver wrote on Apr 9th, 2023 at 3:43pm:

I have.  Here are some.

1.  Aboriginals 'owned' this place before we defeated them militarily and took it over.

2.  They have been seriously disadvantaged, dislocated as a consequence.

3.  "The Voice" goes some meaningless way in addressing that, but it is a start.

4.  I hope that moderate people like Ken Wyatt are around when the inevitable Treaty is worked out and that the Lydia Thorpes have been marginalised into irrelevance.

I'll work into the future on that basis.

You? Effendi, what are yours?  Do they start at the end of a gun?

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #9 - Apr 9th, 2023 at 4:10pm

PAVLINA R. TCHERNEVA

I'm all for Civil War if it means Australians protecting true Politics introduced by Britain against that Fake Media Politics emanating from the USA and it's version of a Voice that orthodox Politics has already got in place.

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #10 - Apr 9th, 2023 at 6:05pm

Aussie wrote on Apr 9th, 2023 at 3:59pm:
"The Voice" goes some meaningless way in addressing that, but it is a start.

Grin

Aussie, if Aborigines cannot even agree on whether there should be a voice, how are they ever going to be effectively represented by it? Has it ever occurred to you that they might not be some kind of mindless collective, and that treating them as such is actually part of the problem, not the solution?

Would you support a white voice to parliament, which was appointed by the government and which you had no control over, that told the government what you think, on account of you being white?

Those are not principles Aussie, they are meaningless gibberish.

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #11 - Apr 9th, 2023 at 6:08pm

"end of a gun", you say?  Surely that is the last resort... but if the ballot box will not yield the proper result that will unite the country instead of plunging it into endless conflict, some may see that as the only solution.  Get into it and get it over fast.

The counter-revolution would be better served staying low and simply doing to the Indigenous Occupied Zones what they have been doing for the past few years... burning, smashing cars in car parks, stealing from them, making absurd claims about them and about ownership (nobody owns crown land without our approval - government holds it in trust for all equally, and if they want to change that, they need to ask us first via a referendum - all land handovers should be via referendum) ..

Indeed there will be changes stemming from this silliness ...... and most of them will not be in favour of those promoting it as they seem to imagine... more likely it will be changes brought about by increased awareness of the majority and demands from that majority for REAL changes that suit all and not just a small lot here and there.

― John Adams

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #12 - Apr 9th, 2023 at 6:12pm

freediver wrote on Apr 9th, 2023 at 3:43pm:

I have.  Here are some.

1.  Aboriginals 'owned' this place before we defeated them militarily and took it over.

2.  They have been seriously disadvantaged, dislocated as a consequence.

3.  "The Voice" goes some meaningless way in addressing that, but it is a start.

4.  I hope that moderate people like Ken Wyatt are around when the inevitable Treaty is worked out and that the Lydia Thorpes have been marginalised into irrelevance.

I'll work into the future on that basis.

You? Effendi, what are yours?  Do they start at the end of a gun?

Hope is not a good reason for constitutional change. You might as well have said "I pray".

You can't have a treaty with people who have never had and never will have sovereignty, a first requirement for entering into a treaty.

Or if they had - a very doubtful proposition - it has been completely extinguished.

Estragon: I can’t go on like this.
Vladimir: That’s what you think.

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #13 - Apr 9th, 2023 at 6:16pm

Judgment:

In Coe v Commonwealth [1993] HCA 4 (Coe (No. 2)), Isabel Coe on behalf of the Wiradjuri Tribe asserted that the Wiradjuri people were a sovereign nation in the external sense, meaning that they were a sovereign nation independent of the British colonisers.

In the alternative, they claimed to enjoy a subsidiary or internal form of sovereignty as a 'domestic dependent nation, entitled to self-government and full rights over their traditional lands, save only the right to alienate them to whoever they please' [8].

Mason CJ, whilst noting the importance of Mabo v the State of Queensland [No. 2] [1992] HCA 23 (Mabo (No. 2)) held that the findings in that case were 'entirely at odds with the notion that sovereignty adverse to the Crown resides in the Aboriginal people of Australia' [27]. His Honour held that the decision was 'equally at odds' with the notion that a limited kind of sovereignty resides in the Aboriginal people [27].

The decision is important as it shows the limitations of Mabo (No. 2), whilst also dispelling the notion that Aboriginal sovereignty could exist alongside Crown sovereignty. The issue raised in Coe (No. 2) is also important due to the context of the time in which it was decided. It followed the decisions in Coe v Commonwealth [1979] HCA 68 (Coe (No. 1)) and Mabo (No. 2).

Details of the judgment

Relying on the decisions in Coe (No. 1) and Mabo (No. 2), Mason CJ held that the sovereignty claimed by the plaintiffs did not exist. His Honour also held that there was no legal consequence for the acts that referred to as genocide.

The sovereignty claim

Mason CJ held that Mabo (No. 2) is at odds with the notion that sovereignty adverse to the Crown is held by the Aboriginal people of Australia. Instead, he held that Mabo (No. 2) found that land in the Murray Islands was held by means of native title under the paramount sovereignty of the Crown. This principle applies to the entirety of the Australian mainland, including the territory claimed by Coe on behalf of the Wiradjuri Tribe.

The genocide claim

The Wiradjuri Tribe relied on international law and the Convention on the Prevention and Punishment of the Crime of Genocide (the Convention) to argue that the forced settlement of Australia constituted genocide.

With respect to the Convention, Mason CJ held that international conventions do not give rise to rights under Australian law in the absence of legislation giving effect to the convention. In any case, he stated that the Convention post-dates most of the acts complained of.

His Honour also held that there was no reason why the acts that referred to should generate an entitlement to damages or compensation against either the Commonwealth or NSW. Both of those parties, in their form at the time of the case, had not been party to many of the alleged acts, which occurred in the late eighteenth and early nineteenth centuries.

Dismissing the claim

The plaintiffs sought to derive further support from the minority judgments of Murphy and Jacobs JJ in Coe (No. 1) However, Mason CJ preferred the reasoning of Gibbs J, who had dismissed the appeal.

Gibbs J had considered:
a)��� that it was settled law that the Australian colonies were acquired by Great Britain by settlement and not by conquest; and
b)��� that the amended statement of claim did not plead sufficiently or appropriately a claim that the Aboriginal people had subsisting rights and interests in land which were recognised by the common law.

As a result, Mason CJ held that Coe (No. 1) provided no support to a surviving Aboriginal claim to sovereignty and dismissed the claim.

Implications

The concept of sovereignty as it has developed in the common law, through cases such as Coe (No. 1) and Mabo (No. 2), is of importance for several reasons. Aside from being a central part of the debate about Australia's history and future, it also has implications for how a treaty process can be negotiated between Australia and its Indigenous people.

Academic literature notes that the dismissal of sovereignty in cases such as Coe (No. 2) is unlikely to pose a roadblock to moving forward with 'innovative new settlements' (Brennan et al., 2004). However, it does suggest that the matter of acquisition of sovereignty is one for international law, whereas the consequences of that acquisition of sovereignty is a matter for the domestic legal and political sphere (Brennan, et al., citing Mabo (No. 2)).
https://database.atns.net.au/agreement.asp?EntityID=8719#:~:text=In%20Coe%20v%20
Commonwealth%20%5B1993,independent%20of%20the%20British%20colonisers.

Estragon: I can’t go on like this.
Vladimir: That’s what you think.

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #14 - Apr 9th, 2023 at 6:17pm

freediver wrote on Apr 9th, 2023 at 6:05pm:
"The Voice" goes some meaningless way in addressing that, but it is a start.

Grin

Aussie, if Aborigines cannot even agree on whether there should be a voice, how are they ever going to be effectively represented by it?.

I knew it was only a matter of time before someone would be stupid enough to make that argument.  No surprise that it was fd to make it.

Cheesy

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 16
Send Topic Print