Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 12
Send Topic Print
Socks (Read 8107 times)
Jovial Monk

Dogs not cats!

Socks
Apr 19th, 2023 at 2:35pm

Stopped off to let Socks have a run on the beach. She outdid herself!

For starters, just to warm up like, she outran a whippet! Whippets are what is known as amazingly fast runners. Bah, Socks outran the whippet with contemptuous ease. She then jumped to the top of a 1.5m sand cliff as if it was a few inches high.

She nearly got herself into a world of pain: there was an angler on the beach with a salmon rod. He either had a real or artificial fish on the end of his line—Socks tried to jump to grab that fish! Luckily the salmon fisher moved the lure out of Sock’s reach.

Get the vaxx! 💉💉

If you don’t like abortions ignore them like you do school shootings.

IP Logged

Jovial Monk

Dogs not cats!

Re: Socks
Reply #1 - Apr 21st, 2023 at 4:56pm

More lure coursing tomorrow.

I am going to try and have someone film it on my mobile: I can’t do it, have my hands full holding Socks until the bags have started moving and the course leader gives the “Tallyho!” command—I let go of Sock’s collar as soon as I hear the T of Tallyho!

Could ask someone else to do it on their phone or video camera I suppose.

A certain snide cu
nt
here stealing MY videos and photos means the video will not be posted here but in the Critters and Garden board in my fine forum visible only to members except for the snide cu
nt.

Get the vaxx! 💉💉

IP Logged

Jovial Monk

Dogs not cats!

Reply #2 - Apr 22nd, 2023 at 5:26am

Just gave Socks a light breakfast. Recommendation is for dogs not to be fed until say 30 minutes after their last run.

Bah, 5.22am now and her first run cannot be before 9.30am—be no food in her stomach by then! She is skinny because of those hard to kill intestinal worms, not going to starve her! Must take some kibble with me to give her some more food after her last run.

Get the vaxx! 💉💉

IP Logged

Jovial Monk

Dogs not cats!

Reply #3 - Apr 22nd, 2023 at 4:34pm

Geez, I could have strangled the bitch! Whining, jumping up all the time, barking very loudly, not a pleasure to be around. After her run, mediocre for her, I warmed her down then put her in the car and left her there for a couple hours.

Her second run was better but nothing like her second run Easter Saturday but I still heard “She can run!” she can that!

I don’t know what brought on the histrionics but next run she is in the car until 5 mins before her run.

Went a bit further afield after the event, bought some more gobsmackingly good raspberry jam and incredibly tasty raspberry sauce, nice and tart and fruity, not supersweet, yuck! Well, I had driven like 120Km to get to the meet, why not go another 21Km?

Get the vaxx! 💉💉

IP Logged

Jovial Monk

Dogs not cats!

Reply #4 - Apr 22nd, 2023 at 5:12pm

Sorry—no photos or video of Socks’ runs will be posted here. Blame Booby, blame the totally lax “moderation” here.
« Last Edit: May 5th, 2024 at 12:39am by Jovial Monk »  

Get the vaxx! 💉💉

IP Logged

Jovial Monk

Dogs not cats!

Reply #5 - Apr 24th, 2023 at 9:48am

Already have the photos from Saturdays run! That is quick!

One photo shows a lovely tangle of long legs—you wonder how she can untangle them. Visible only on my fine forum, sorry!

Get the vaxx! 💉💉

IP Logged

Jovial Monk

Dogs not cats!

Reply #6 - Apr 24th, 2023 at 9:57am

Trials are to start late August or September. That’ll be fun.

Thousands of whippets and greyhounds, some German Shepherds . . . and Socks.

Going to have to program some long walks and maybe twice weekly visits to the beach so she can run!

Will make an appointment with the vet, finally get rid of her intestinal worms! Persistent buggers they are! Get her in peak condition by the time trials start.

Get the vaxx! 💉💉

IP Logged

Jovial Monk

Dogs not cats!

Reply #7 - Apr 26th, 2023 at 11:17pm

Poor Socks! I guess the tablet has killed the worms in her intestine leaving the lining of the intestine a bit torn I guess. I thought that would happen yesterday but it happened today, after a big meal (I made her fast yesterday.)

Will see how she is tomorrow.

Get the vaxx! 💉💉

IP Logged

Jovial Monk

Dogs not cats!

Reply #8 - Apr 29th, 2023 at 8:02am

Socks feels better today. Her poop still had worm bits in it—hopefully dead worms! Will start her on. week of garlic tomorrow.

Get the vaxx! 💉💉

IP Logged

Jovial Monk

Dogs not cats!

Reply #9 - Apr 29th, 2023 at 8:14am

We know Socks is a wizz at lure coursing, following the lure with speed, intelligence and concentration. However, she is a dog, hound, so should be able to use her nose.

So I will see if there is a dog tracking club near here somewhere.

Hmm for trials I might need to join the Kennel club for this state. That is to get state level certification of her titles as she wins them.

For tracking the dog needs to be away from its owner a bit and be free to move around searching for then track. So the lead for tracking is ten metres long. A lead that big can’t be fastened to the collar without strangling the dog, so the dog has to be in a narness like for in the car and the lead is attached to that.

(Up until the 12th century horses pulled carts etc harnessed like bullocks—the harness pulled against the horse’s throat, choking it! The dog harness performs a similar function to the horse collar—pressure is on the chest not the throat.)

This morning as I led Socks out for her poop’n’pee walk a wallaby was racing up my street to the scrub just a bit further up the hill. Had to hold the mutt VERY firmly! Her breed was called “kangaroo dog” until roo hunting with dogs was outlawed. See “The Loaded Dog” a funny short story by Henry Lawson.

Get the vaxx! 💉💉

IP Logged

Sophia
Gold Member

Reply #10 - Apr 29th, 2023 at 11:56pm

I have a funny photo I took today.
We were looking at some houses open for indirection down the peninsula way and in the master bedroom I see this sign on the bed.

IP Logged

Jovial Monk

Dogs not cats!

Reply #11 - Apr 30th, 2023 at 6:31am

I knew that bump was a cat or small dog even before i saw the sign.

Get the vaxx! 💉💉

IP Logged

Jovial Monk

Dogs not cats!

Reply #12 - May 6th, 2023 at 12:35pm

Took Socks to the local—only 65Km away—obedience class. Did pretty damn well, even did the automatic sit few other dogs managed!

Even did an exercise where the lead is removed from the dog, someone holds her and you run to the far end of the reserve and the owner runs away then calls the dog that gets released. First time Socks just enjoyed running but the second time, with me calling her while running she was pretty good, soon back on the lead.

Get the vaxx! 💉💉

IP Logged

Jovial Monk

Dogs not cats!

Reply #13 - May 6th, 2023 at 3:47pm

Another lure coursing fun run tomorrow. Hope she does really well. Took her for a long run on a beach not too far from here, i walked about 2Km out and back, mutt ran more like 10Km  Grin Also took the mutt for some looong walks.

Will see tomorrow.

Get the vaxx! 💉💉

IP Logged

Jovial Monk

Dogs not cats!

Reply #14 - May 7th, 2023 at 4:36pm

The bitch was the same today as last time. I walked her for 15 minutes before her run, quieted her right down—must remember this when trials start.

Were a few terriers there, slow but followed the bags assiduously around the course—high prey drive in most terriers, wish I had known of this when Demi was alive and fit, give her a non-destructive outlet for her high prey drive, give her a great run!

Some whippets do not have high prey drive. Lots of amusement watching owners try to get their hounds to follow the bags. Some may just have been young.

I told someone there that Socks had outrun a whippet on the beach—polite disbelief. Ha!

Socks’ second run. Like a honey colored bullet after the bags, ZZZZZOOOOMMMMM!!!!!

Bitch got stuck into the bags when they were stopped at the end of the run—nothing wrong with her prey drive! I tried to get the lead on her, she pulled this bag, pulled the wire back like a bowstring, let go, hit my feet, luckily no power in it. Had ot conquer laughter before putting the lead on.

Lots of congratulations of Socks! Oh yeah, bitch can run!

Heh, driving down, up on the high bit—car thermometer read -1°C, later -2°C. Oh yeah!

Get the vaxx! 💉💉

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 12
Send Topic Print