Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 7
Send Topic Print
Trump Terrorist Gets 17 Years In Prison (Read 1596 times)
Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Re: Trump Terrorist Gets 17 Years In Prison
Reply #15 - Sep 1st, 2023 at 5:15pm

Dnarever wrote on Sep 1st, 2023 at 5:07pm:
Bobby. wrote on Sep 1st, 2023 at 3:58pm:
Belgarion wrote on Sep 1st, 2023 at 3:54pm:
How do these sentences compare with those of any BLM or ANTIFA activists?  Seems like a spiteful reaction to the panic these people caused when they protested against those who had spent years tacitly endorsing the violence of BLM and ANTIFA.   

They're gunna hang the wrong man.

Now now everyone knows that these jan 6th guys are all Antifa right ?

Antifa is a contraction of the phrase “anti-fascist.” It refers to a decentralized network of far-left militants that oppose what they believe are fascist, racist, or otherwise right-wing extremists. While some consider Antifa a sub-set of anarchists, adherents frequently blend anarchist and communist views. One of the most common symbols used by Antifa combines the red flag of the 1917 Russian Revolution and the black flag of 19th century anarchists. Antifa groups frequently conduct counter-protests to disrupt far-right gatherings and rallies. They often organize in black blocs (ad hoc gatherings of individuals that wear black clothing, ski masks, scarves, sunglasses, and other material to conceal their faces), use improvised explosive devices and other homemade weapons, and resort to vandalism. In addition, Antifa members organize their activities through social media, encrypted peer-to-peer networks, and encrypted messaging services such as Signal.

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #16 - Sep 1st, 2023 at 5:20pm

Frank wrote on Sep 1st, 2023 at 5:11pm:
What are Hunter and Joe getting?

You'll have to ask Panther that, Frank. He's our constitutional expert, you see. He's made it clear that his president cannot face indictments, criminal charges or civil proceedings whilst he/she sits in the position of POTUS. Never ever.

A POTUS can, however, be impeached for high crimes and misdemeanours by a majority vote in congress. Senators can vote on a penalty if, and only if, a majority of senators issue a finding of guilt. It is then left to the senate to remove the prez and recommend any charges to the DOJ if senators so wish, under Panther's beloved constitution.

Rule of law, innit.

IP Logged

Belgarion
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #17 - Sep 1st, 2023 at 5:20pm

Mattyfisk wrote on Sep 1st, 2023 at 5:07pm:
Belgarion wrote on Sep 1st, 2023 at 3:54pm:
How do these sentences compare with those of any BLM or ANTIFA activists?  Seems like a spiteful reaction to the panic these people caused when they protested against those who had spent years tacitly endorsing the violence of BLM and ANTIFA.   

I don't think there are any ARE any BLM or Antifa terrorists, dear. Neither organisation is listed as one.

Few members of either organisation have been convicted of violence. You're free to show us differently, of course.

The Proud Boys are devoted solely to violence. They're listed as a terrorist group in multiple countries, including Canada and New Zealand.

You?

https://thehill.com/policy/national-security/350524-antifa-activists-say-violenc...

https://nypost.com/2021/06/07/finally-portland-antifa-is-being-brought-to-justic...

https://www.newsweek.com/prosecutors-make-first-move-break-antifa-cell-11-activi...

https://nationalinterest.org/feature/black-lives-matter-movement-must-solve-its-...

https://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2020/08/31/riots-violence-erupting-turnin...

Plenty more examples out there, but you get the idea.  Roll Eyes

"I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."

Voltaire.....(possibly)

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #18 - Sep 1st, 2023 at 6:23pm

Mattyfisk wrote on Sep 1st, 2023 at 5:20pm:

You'll have to ask Panther that, Frank. He's our constitutional expert, you see. He's made it clear that his president cannot face indictments, criminal charges or civil proceedings whilst he/she sits in the position of POTUS. Never ever.

A POTUS can, however, be impeached for high crimes and misdemeanours by a majority vote in congress. Senators can vote on a penalty if, and only if, a majority of senators issue a finding of guilt. It is then left to the senate to remove the prez and recommend any charges to the DOJ if senators so wish, under Panther's beloved constitution.

Rule of law, innit.

Thank you for tap-dancing, paki contestant.
3/10

Biden is ACTUALLY corrupt.

Estragon: I can’t go on like this.
Vladimir: That’s what you think.

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #19 - Sep 1st, 2023 at 6:36pm

Belgarion wrote on Sep 1st, 2023 at 5:20pm:

Yes, Belgarion, I think I do.

https://thehill.com/policy/national-security/350524-antifa-activists-say-violenc...

Quote:
On Sunday, antifa protesters hurled glass bottles and bricks at police officers monitoring a far-right march in Portland, Ore.

Bricks and bottles? That's not very nice. Was it Antifa protesters or Nazis? It's a bit hard to say. Your article goes on to point out what Antifa are up against. It's a balanced piece.

Quote:
“The way law enforcement has reacted to the protests far exceeds the amount of danger involved, particularly when we talk about violence at far-right protests — because there is a long and deep history of murderous violence coming out of the far-right movements that continues up to today that far exceeds anything associated with antifa,” said Mike German, a former FBI agent who works on law enforcement issues at the Brennan Center for Justice’s Liberty and National Security Program.

https://nypost.com/2021/06/07/finally-portland-antifa-is-being-brought-to-justic...

Quote:
Charges against 10 suspected Antifa were announced on Thursday alone, mostly for vandalism around Election Day and an Inauguration Day riot. Several more face federal charges.

Vandalism.Suspected Antifa protesters. What makes the NY Post say they were members of Antifa?

https://nationalinterest.org/feature/black-lives-matter-movement-must-solve-its-...

Quote:
Moral deliberations point in the same direction. Violence is not merely a poor strategy, but it also raises major ethical concerns. The key moral value that the Black Lives Matter movement taps into is the sanctity of life. It is the recognition—reflected in the legal and moral codes of ancient and contemporary societies, above all in those of liberal democracies—that taking a life is a much more serious offense than most any other action

Nice bit of virtue signalling there, dear, but no charges, convictions or proof of anything.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2020/08/31/riots-violence-erupting-turnin...

Quote:
Violence erupted last week in Kenosha, Wisconsin.

Random violence, eh? That's not very nice. Too bad it's got nothing to do with BLM, eh?

https://www.newsweek.com/prosecutors-make-first-move-break-antifa-cell-11-activi...

Quote:
The Antifa-affiliated group surrounded several minors who they believed to be attending the Patriot March, sprayed them with mace and chased them up the boardwalk, shoving one of the minors to the ground. The minor was surrounded and beaten resulting in the minor victim being taken to the hospital to be treated for a concussion," the statement read.

Fair enough. Lock them up. Only, er, the Defendants are alleged to be affiliated with Antifa. Half took plea deals, the rest are still in court, questioning the conspiracy element that supposedly ties random acts of violence with any organised movement. There is no evidence most of them are with "Antifa" at all, or connected, or coordinated, which highlights the legal perils of such prosecutions:

Quote:
The stakes grow higher as the country moves into a new election cycle, said Stanislav Vysotsky,  a professor of criminology and author of the book "American Antifa." A successful prosecution in San Diego could become a model for conservative prosecutors around the country, he said.

“It would give a really powerful tool of repression that could be used against not just anti-fascist activists but really any left-wing counterprotesters or left-wing protesters because you could just sort of slap them with a broad ‘Antifa’ label,” Vysotsky said. “It actually creates an ‘Antifa’ entity that doesn't exist to begin with.”

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2023/03/17/san-diego-antifa-trial-als...

Therein lies your problem. The Proud Boys are ALL about violence, and hundreds of them have been sentenced to years in jail for the Capitol riots alone.

Antifa are a counter-fascist movement and BLM is a peaceful civil organisation that has no violent agenda at all.

Thanks for your response and your links.

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #20 - Sep 1st, 2023 at 6:46pm

Frank wrote on Sep 1st, 2023 at 6:23pm:
Mattyfisk wrote on Sep 1st, 2023 at 5:20pm:

Rule of law, innit.

Thank you for tap-dancing, paki contestant.
3/10

Biden is ACTUALLY corrupt.

Bollocks on stilts, dear boy. How do we know?

The GOP House Oversight Committee said so in their report.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_House_Oversight_Committee_investig...

There you go, you see? You're now a proven LIAR.

You're up to 70 lies in the past week alone. You're not even trying, old boy.

Tsk tsk tsk. Wake me up when Brian posts a new gun meme, mkay?

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #21 - Sep 1st, 2023 at 6:48pm

The usual right-wing suspects defending violent terrorists.

Typical.

IP Logged

Lisa Jones
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #22 - Sep 1st, 2023 at 7:11pm

greggerypeccary wrote on Sep 1st, 2023 at 6:48pm:

Typical.

Am I one of the usual or unusual variety of right wing suspects?

If I let myself be bought then I am no longer free.

HYPATIA - Greek philosopher, mathematician and astronomer (370 - 415)

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #23 - Sep 1st, 2023 at 7:11pm

Lisa Jones wrote on Sep 1st, 2023 at 7:11pm:

Typical.

Are you defending this convicted criminal?

IP Logged

Lisa Jones
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #24 - Sep 1st, 2023 at 7:17pm

greggerypeccary wrote on Sep 1st, 2023 at 7:11pm:

Typical.

I’m not defending anyone. As far as I’m concerned the USA is full of nutters and I thank God every day that both my parents migrated to Australia as teenagers in the late 60’s and met/married and had their kids here. I guess I’m too busy being thankful and proud to be Australian to even care/worry about the USA.

IP Logged

aquascoot
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #25 - Sep 1st, 2023 at 7:22pm

Typical.

i'll defend him

he was a bit unruly but we should have the punishment fit the crime.

he could do 180 hours of comunity service at the capitol building, maybe vaccuming and dusting

that would seem fair and reasonable

IP Logged

Lisa Jones
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #26 - Sep 1st, 2023 at 7:37pm

Ok this is WHY I REALLY asked the question of you Greg.

The sentence was a bit harsh (from the comments which are now coming through).

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #27 - Sep 1st, 2023 at 8:04pm

aquascoot wrote on Sep 1st, 2023 at 7:22pm:

Typical.

i'll defend him

he was a bit unruly but we should have the punishment fit the crime.

he could do 180 hours of comunity service at the capitol building, maybe vaccuming and dusting

that would seem fair and reasonable

I am with you.

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #28 - Sep 1st, 2023 at 8:07pm

greggerypeccary wrote on Sep 1st, 2023 at 7:11pm:

Typical.

Absolutely.

Give me a 'right wing suspect' so labelled by a repulsive, lying dishonest turd over a ... well..  lying repulsive creepy turd any day.

IP Logged

Belgarion
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #29 - Sep 1st, 2023 at 8:29pm

Mattyfisk wrote on Sep 1st, 2023 at 6:36pm:
Belgarion wrote on Sep 1st, 2023 at 5:20pm:

Yes, Belgarion, I think I do.

Quote:
On Sunday, antifa protesters hurled glass bottles and bricks at police officers monitoring a far-right march in Portland, Ore.

Bricks and bottles? That's not very nice. Was it Antifa protesters or Nazis? It's a bit hard to say. Your article goes on to point out what Antifa are up against. It's a balanced piece.

Quote:
“The way law enforcement has reacted to the protests far exceeds the amount of danger involved, particularly when we talk about violence at far-right protests — because there is a long and deep history of murderous violence coming out of the far-right movements that continues up to today that far exceeds anything associated with antifa,” said Mike German, a former FBI agent who works on law enforcement issues at the Brennan Center for Justice’s Liberty and National Security Program.

Quote:
Charges against 10 suspected Antifa were announced on Thursday alone, mostly for vandalism around Election Day and an Inauguration Day riot. Several more face federal charges.

Vandalism.Suspected Antifa protesters. What makes the NY Post say they were members of Antifa?

Quote:
Moral deliberations point in the same direction. Violence is not merely a poor strategy, but it also raises major ethical concerns. The key moral value that the Black Lives Matter movement taps into is the sanctity of life. It is the recognition—reflected in the legal and moral codes of ancient and contemporary societies, above all in those of liberal democracies—that taking a life is a much more serious offense than most any other action

Nice bit of virtue signalling there, dear, but no charges, convictions or proof of anything.

Quote:
Violence erupted last week in Kenosha, Wisconsin.

Random violence, eh? That's not very nice. Too bad it's got nothing to do with BLM, eh?

Quote:
The Antifa-affiliated group surrounded several minors who they believed to be attending the Patriot March, sprayed them with mace and chased them up the boardwalk, shoving one of the minors to the ground. The minor was surrounded and beaten resulting in the minor victim being taken to the hospital to be treated for a concussion," the statement read.

Fair enough. Lock them up. Only, er, the Defendants are alleged to be affiliated with Antifa. Half took plea deals, the rest are still in court, questioning the conspiracy element that supposedly ties random acts of violence with any organised movement. There is no evidence most of them are with "Antifa" at all, or connected, or coordinated, which highlights the legal perils of such prosecutions:

Quote:
The stakes grow higher as the country moves into a new election cycle, said Stanislav Vysotsky,  a professor of criminology and author of the book "American Antifa." A successful prosecution in San Diego could become a model for conservative prosecutors around the country, he said.

“It would give a really powerful tool of repression that could be used against not just anti-fascist activists but really any left-wing counterprotesters or left-wing protesters because you could just sort of slap them with a broad ‘Antifa’ label,” Vysotsky said. “It actually creates an ‘Antifa’ entity that doesn't exist to begin with.”

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2023/03/17/san-diego-antifa-trial-als...

Therein lies your problem. The Proud Boys are ALL about violence, and hundreds of them have been sentenced to years in jail for the Capitol riots alone.

Antifa are a counter-fascist movement and BLM is a peaceful civil organisation that has no violent agenda at all.

Thanks for your response and your links.

A lengthy post to show you have nothing. Run along now.

"I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."

Voltaire.....(possibly)

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 7
Send Topic Print