Send Topic Print
What is a 'right'? (Read 14278 times)
Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: What is a 'right'?
Reply #45 - Sep 21st, 2023 at 9:12pm

chimera wrote on Sep 21st, 2023 at 8:59pm:
1. The Preamble to the Declaration of Independence, with earlier draft.
2. Freediver allows speech, dribble and obfuscation.
3. The Russian demand that the armed forces not be humiliated.
4.  Putin said so.
5.  Have you been drinking again?

Sorry, I assumed you were same.

Apologies. Won't happen again.

Estragon: I can’t go on like this.
Vladimir: That’s what you think.

IP Logged

Jovial Monk
Gold Member

Dogs not cats!

Reply #46 - Sep 21st, 2023 at 9:51pm

Dnarever wrote on Sep 21st, 2023 at 9:04pm:
Quote:
What is a 'right'?

The opposite to a wrong ?

I was thinking the opposite to a left!

Get the vaxx! 💉💉

If you don’t like abortions ignore them like you do school shootings.

IP Logged

chimera
Gold Member

Australian Politics

armidale
Reply #47 - Sep 22nd, 2023 at 1:53am

Frank wrote on Sep 21st, 2023 at 8:37pm:
1. On what grounds do you think you can make such statements?

2. On what grounds do you think you can make such statements if others disagree vehemently?

3.  on what grounds could someone imprison or kill you for making such statements?

4. Why would his grounds for killing you would override, or not, your grounds of speaking?

Possibly you are trying to express that rights are contradictory.
So people can be educated to oppose free speech and kill such speakers. Anyway, thanks.

A right is meant to be an obvious possession of a basis for activity.  Then 'wrong' or 'left' are absolutely opposite in that they're not a source for living processes, they are just adjectives for completed nouns.

If a human has a 'right' then it would be inbuilt so that the body uncontrollably asserts it : flesh would react by hardening to repel a weapon, all observers would rush in to destroy the killer and a body would overcome any bullet or knife damage. All education would be totally and instantly learned. Everyone would be expert, non-stop speakers. And the big one. Children would only be happy when armed, would all be expert shots and would be shooting continually at gun-teachers who never die or stop talking.   

IP Logged

chimera
Gold Member

Australian Politics

armidale
Reply #48 - Sep 22nd, 2023 at 6:50am

freediver wrote on Sep 21st, 2023 at 1:13pm:
You can still see an influence on the geographic distribution of modern political rights going back to the Roman empire and the Americas prior to European contact.

Democracy was limited in Greece and Rome. It went nearly extinct for a thousand years and slowly reappeared but is weakening again. Can that be a 'human right' that's 'inalienable' or is the 'right' a pretence?

IP Logged

issuevoter
Gold Member

Australian Politics

The Great State of Mind
Reply #49 - Sep 22nd, 2023 at 7:52am

A “Right” only exists when it is recognised in others. It could be unjust and therefore is a measure of civilisation. Children tend to be selfish, but as they mature they become more cooperative. At a certain level of intelligence, empathy develops, and personal rights become obvious. The framers of the US declaration of independence stated this in their “We hold these truths to be self-evident.” Quite apart from rights, this idea of the self-evident is, to me, the most interesting part of the document.

No political allegiance. No philosophy. No religion.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #50 - Sep 22nd, 2023 at 8:15am

chimera wrote on Sep 22nd, 2023 at 6:50am:
freediver wrote on Sep 21st, 2023 at 1:13pm:
You can still see an influence on the geographic distribution of modern political rights going back to the Roman empire and the Americas prior to European contact.

Democracy was limited in Greece and Rome. It went nearly extinct for a thousand years and slowly reappeared but is weakening again. Can that be a 'human right' that's 'inalienable' or is the 'right' a pretence?

What do you think inalienable means?

People who can't distinguish between etymology and entomology bug me in ways I cannot put into words.
IP Logged

Lisa Jones
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #51 - Sep 22nd, 2023 at 9:12am

https://twitter.com/Of_Bourke/status/1689131013098930176

👆 This is NOT a right. This is a wrong. God help us 😔😩

If I let myself be bought then I am no longer free.

HYPATIA - Greek philosopher, mathematician and astronomer (370 - 415)

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #52 - Sep 22nd, 2023 at 9:34am

Frank wrote on Sep 21st, 2023 at 6:13pm:
chimera wrote on Sep 21st, 2023 at 5:19pm:
Name a human right.
When did it become that?

What are inherently human characteristics? Not biological components - kidneys, bones, skin - or biochemic elements - proteins, enzymes - as these are all found in their various versions in other creatures.

Whether you like it or not, human right have to do with God, the conception of God,  specifically the Judeo - Christian God. It is about what kind of God would create humans like us.
In so far as there are any universal rights, these are based of the Christian conception of God and of humanity. You will never hear a Hindu or Muslim or Orthodox Jew or animistic shaman speak about universal human rights and his own religion and philosophy in the same breath.

God created man in his own image - and each culture, in turn, creates its god in its own image. The Christian God created man with freedom without distinction, Allah created slaves, Yahweh created a chosen people with laws applicable only to them.

In traditional Greek and Roman thought, only the wealthy and powerful had rights in society. That’s how Nature intended it. But by the end of the fourth century, people like Basil and other Christian intellectuals were arguing that everyone has rights, including, and perhaps especially, the poor. That’s how God intended it.

The claim that all human beings have rights, regardless of birth, status, or creed, didn’t pop out of nowhere during the 18th-century Enlightenment. Its roots are biblical, and it was Christian thinkers from Basil onwards that shaped the Western concept of “human rights”.

https://www.publicchristianity.org/the-genesis-of-human-rights/

IP Logged

thegreatdivide
Gold Member

Australian Politics<br
/>

Reply #53 - Sep 22nd, 2023 at 10:31am

Frank wrote on Sep 21st, 2023 at 6:36pm:
thegreatdivide wrote on Sep 21st, 2023 at 6:29pm:
I think you will find "rights" are human inventions, NOT 'natural/inalienable',  and are instead desires mistaken for "rights".

What is the basis of that assertion?

Observation and induction.

The "rights" to eg,  life and liberty are NOT observed in the natural world, though individuals desire life and liberty.

IP Logged

thegreatdivide
Gold Member

Australian Politics<br
/>

Reply #54 - Sep 22nd, 2023 at 10:57am

chimera wrote on Sep 21st, 2023 at 8:27pm:
The UN 'rights' become a bit ridiculous in their complexity.

A woolly statement.

1. The UNUDHR speaks of "Universal Rights", and attempts to define them.

2. The UN was created to "save Mankind from the scourge of war", believing a condition of permanent international commerce/cooperation  is achievable, without recourse to war.

Quote:
If a right is an instinctive compulsion, then who naturally says to themselves :

A "right"  is NOT an "instinctive compulsion", though the individual's (unconscious) survival instincts are.

Quote:
'The will of the people shall be the basis of the authority of government; this will shall be expressed in periodic and genuine elections which shall be by universal and equal suffrage and shall be held by secret vote or by equivalent free voting procedures'.

The "will of the people" is a problematic concept; we know all people want to live and to be 'free', but beyond that, peoples' desires diverge.   

Elections infer government by 50% + 1.....meaning the "will" of the 49% is ignored. (Trump was/is  very angry about it...).

Quote:
Everyone, as a member of society, has the right to social security and is entitled to realization, through national effort and international co-operation and in accordance with the organization and resources of each State, of the economic, social and cultural rights indispensable for his dignity and the free development of his personality'.?

Note: this statement refers to "everyone" having a 'right' to above-poverty paticiption (or "social security")  in the community, which is different to the "rights" that individuals might conceive of for themselves eg the right to follow the religious scripture  they choose.

But the latter can - and does - lead to conflict.   

[UNUDHR article 18 attempts to delineate the limits of religious freedom by noting the inadmissibility of violence in following a specific creed].

Quote:
wha......

Explained above for you.

IP Logged

Lisa Jones
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #55 - Sep 22nd, 2023 at 10:58am

Frank wrote on Sep 21st, 2023 at 9:12pm:
chimera wrote on Sep 21st, 2023 at 8:59pm:
1. The Preamble to the Declaration of Independence, with earlier draft.
2. Freediver allows speech, dribble and obfuscation.
3. The Russian demand that the armed forces not be humiliated.
4.  Putin said so.
5.  Have you been drinking again?

Sorry, I assumed you were sane.

Apologies. Won't happen again.

It’s multi Mong LaughTilICry.

If I let myself be bought then I am no longer free.

HYPATIA - Greek philosopher, mathematician and astronomer (370 - 415)

IP Logged

thegreatdivide
Gold Member

Australian Politics<br
/>

Reply #56 - Sep 22nd, 2023 at 11:22am

Frank wrote on Sep 22nd, 2023 at 9:34am:
God created man in his own image - and each culture, in turn, creates its god in its own image. The Christian God created man with freedom without distinction, Allah created slaves, Yahweh created a chosen people with laws applicable only to them.

Frank, I already disposed of your 'Rights emanate from Jesus Christ' theory. As graps would say, we can "safely" say Jesus was a man, because we can observe:

1. all men forever have been seeking "god".

2. men have turned mortals into gods at least until Roman times...as Josephus wryly observed; "if indeed he (Christ) was a man" ....

Quote:
In traditional Greek and Roman thought, only the wealthy and powerful had rights in society. That’s how Nature intended it.

An opinion?

(quick google)

A right for Aristotle is essentially a just claim that a person has against other members of the same community, and a natural right is a just claim based in nature

But as I said, nature ensures the survival of life in the aggregate, not the lives of individual creatures - by observation; there are no "individual Rights" in nature's jungle, "rights' (, more correctly, desires) are the creation of men's cortex brains seeking "fairness".    

Quote:
But by the end of the fourth century, people like Basil and other Christian intellectuals were arguing that everyone has rights, including, and perhaps especially, the poor. That’s how God intended it.

An unrealized "intention"? The poor are still dying prematurely....

Quote:
The claim that all human beings have rights, regardless of birth, status, or creed, didn’t pop out of nowhere during the 18th-century Enlightenment. Its roots are biblical, and it was Christian thinkers from Basil onwards that shaped the Western concept of “human rights”.

I think your rejection of the Buddha, Confucius and Aristotle, thinkers who predated Christ, is problematic.

« Last Edit: Sep 22nd, 2023 at 11:33am by thegreatdivide »  

IP Logged

Bias_2012
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #57 - Sep 22nd, 2023 at 11:53am

thegreatdivide wrote on Sep 22nd, 2023 at 10:31am:

The "rights" to eg,  life and liberty are NOT observed in the natural world,
though individuals desire life and liberty

Ahhh, if individuals desire life and liberty, then those desires must be coming from the natural world ... where else would they come from?

"Life" and "Liberty' are the first order of natural rights. Even the UN recognizes inalienable rights ....

Preamble

Whereas recognition of the inherent dignity and of the equal and inalienable rights of all members of the human family is the foundation of freedom, justice and peace in the world,

https://www.un.org/en/about-us/universal-declaration-of-human-rights

Our Lives Are Governed By The Feast & Famine Variable

IP Logged

thegreatdivide
Gold Member

Australian Politics<br
/>

Reply #58 - Sep 22nd, 2023 at 12:10pm

Bias_2012 wrote on Sep 22nd, 2023 at 11:53am:
thegreatdivide wrote on Sep 22nd, 2023 at 10:31am:

The "rights" to eg,  life and liberty are NOT observed in the natural world,
though individuals desire life and liberty

Ahhh, if individuals desire life and liberty, then those desires must be coming from the natural world ... where else would they come from?

In animals, from the survival instinct; and in humans, from that instinct plus awareness of motivation of self and others (based in the cortex brain). 

In the natural world, those desires** (of individuals) are in competition, and therefore cannot be "Inalienable". 

** or "rights" 

Quote:
"Life" and "Liberty' are the first order of natural rights. Even the UN recognizes inalienable rights ....

Preamble

Whereas recognition of the inherent dignity and of the equal and inalienable rights of all members of the human family is the foundation of freedom, justice and peace in the world,

https://www.un.org/en/about-us/universal-declaration-of-human-rights[/size]

Addressed in a previous post; the UN is concerned about UNIVERSAL RIGHTS (a human cortex-brain construct).

But as I said, the UN tripped over  the supposed  "freedom/right" of individual (nations)  to make war, versus the necessity for international law to ensure "freedom, justice and peace in the world". 

Hence the demand of the UNSC members for the veto, which crippled the UN's peace-keeping role from the start, voiding the "right" to life and liberty in practice (see Ukraine).
« Last Edit: Sep 22nd, 2023 at 12:16pm by thegreatdivide »  

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #59 - Sep 22nd, 2023 at 2:02pm

thegreatdivide wrote on Sep 22nd, 2023 at 11:22am:
Frank wrote on Sep 22nd, 2023 at 9:34am:

Frank, I already disposed of your 'Rights emanate from Jesus Christ' theory. As graps would say, we can "safely" say Jesus was a man, because we can observe:

1. all men forever have been seeking "god".

2. men have turned mortals into gods at least until Roman times...as Josephus wryly observed; "if indeed he (Christ) was a man" ....

Quote:
In traditional Greek and Roman thought, only the wealthy and powerful had rights in society. That’s how Nature intended it.

An opinion?

(quick google)

A right for Aristotle is essentially a just claim that a person has against other members of the same community, and a natural right is a just claim based in nature

But as I said, nature ensures the survival of life in the aggregate, not the lives of individual creatures - by observation; there are no "individual Rights" in nature's jungle, "rights' (, more correctly, desires) are the creation of men's cortex brains seeking "fairness".    

Quote:
But by the end of the fourth century, people like Basil and other Christian intellectuals were arguing that everyone has rights, including, and perhaps especially, the poor. That’s how God intended it.

An unrealized "intention"? The poor are still dying prematurely....

Quote:

I think your rejection of the Buddha, Confucius and Aristotle, thinkers who predated Christ, is problematic.

I think the foggy, manic chaos in your head is problematic. You do not understand even basic concepts, have no sense of history or the development of ideas.

All ancient philosophies and religions posit a universal moral order. But only Christianity posits, in additional, a universal, equal moral worth to each human being.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 35
Send Topic Print