Send Topic Print
What is a 'right'? (Read 14279 times)
chimera
Gold Member

Australian Politics

armidale
What is a 'right'?
Sep 21st, 2023 at 7:43am

Can you point to a 'right'? The sun has no right, it can be destroyed by another star and is in the process of decaying, exploding and ceasing to exist. Humans disagree with murder, in their opinion, but the opinion doesn't create an object or force. Gravity can always be demonstrated to be acting and it's right that it pulls objects (until Earth terminates). There is no action of anything that creates any rights for humans to do any particular actions.  There is no right to express this post or to read it.

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Re: What is a 'right'?
Reply #1 - Sep 21st, 2023 at 7:46am

Something that should never be left out or left behind or left anything ........

Rights are codified as part of social structures and are set to protect life and liberty from unlawful constraint or interference ... things you discuss such as reading this strand are privileges....

One day, grasshopper, you will understand how social structures themselves often operate to bring down rights rather than supporting them..... but that is a story for another day or two.....

Welcome to Grappler Free Tibetan Monastery University In The Park...... where all are entitled to my opinion ....... which I have the right to hold and to expound but not force on you.... I identify as a Professor Of Life Studies - I have no right to force my professorship on you or others.... same as identifying as anything else...  Tibetan and other Buddhist monks are in reality walking universities.... passing on knowledge and understanding of the human condition....

Just a few examples for you to go on with...

You are welcome for the sake of all living things..... now save the Orang Utan Habitats..... they have the right to live their way in peace, same as koalas ...

« Last Edit: Sep 21st, 2023 at 7:56am by Grappler Truth Teller Feller »  

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

chimera
Gold Member

Australian Politics

armidale
Reply #2 - Sep 21st, 2023 at 7:53am

But they can be so they aren't..

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #3 - Sep 21st, 2023 at 7:58am

chimera wrote on Sep 21st, 2023 at 7:53am:
But they can be so they aren't..

That, grasshopper - is why rights use formal language and are codified.... there is no 'right' to walk the streets unmolested - there is a right to have molestation scorned and punished and deterred if possible...

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #4 - Sep 21st, 2023 at 7:59am

If it is not in your CCP handbook, then it doesn't exist.

Right?

People who can't distinguish between etymology and entomology bug me in ways I cannot put into words.
IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #5 - Sep 21st, 2023 at 7:59am

Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on Sep 21st, 2023 at 7:46am:
Something that should never be left out or left behind or left anything ........

Rights are codified as part of social structures and are set to protect life and liberty from unlawful constraint or interference ... things you discuss such as reading this strand are privileges....

One day, grasshopper, you will understand how social structures themselves often operate to bring down rights rather than supporting them..... but that is a story for another day or two.....

Welcome to Grappler Free Tibetan Monastery University In The Park...... where all are entitled to my opinion ....... which I have the right to hold and to expound but not force on you.... I identify as a Professor Of Life Studies - I have no right to force my professorship on you or others.... same as identifying as anything else...  Tibetan and other Buddhist monks are in reality walking universities.... passing on knowledge and understanding of the human condition....

Just a few examples for you to go on with...

You are welcome for the sake of all living things..... now save the Orang Utan Habitats..... they have the right to live their way in peace, same as koalas ...

https://static.tweaktown.com/content/4/1/4162_4_babe_pig_in_the_city_1998_blu_ra...

― John Adams

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #6 - Sep 21st, 2023 at 8:02am

freediver wrote on Sep 21st, 2023 at 7:59am:
If it is not in your CCP handbook, then it doesn't exist.

Right?

Robbie, BABY - that ain't no ex-Marine Recondo - not with that shave ....  Hollywood **face palms** - now you know why the director was NEVER a medic in any special forces unit... no idea...

― John Adams

IP Logged

chimera
Gold Member

Australian Politics

armidale
Reply #7 - Sep 21st, 2023 at 8:42am

Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on Sep 21st, 2023 at 7:58am:
there is a right to have molestation scorned and punished and deterred if possible...

Grappler is a Tibetan monkey, who is punished by popular demand. That's right but is not a right.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #8 - Sep 21st, 2023 at 8:49am

It is an intersubjective reality.

People who can't distinguish between etymology and entomology bug me in ways I cannot put into words.
IP Logged

chimera
Gold Member

Australian Politics

armidale
Reply #9 - Sep 21st, 2023 at 9:01am

The Yeti is an ape-like creature who inhabits the Himalayan mountain range in Asia, the Abominable Snowman.  Some of these are hoaxes. The Yeti is a large, bipedal ape-like creature that is covered with brown, gray, or white hair, and it is sometimes depicted as having large, sharp teeth and grapples with the innocent bystanders.

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #10 - Sep 21st, 2023 at 9:44am

chimera wrote on Sep 21st, 2023 at 7:43am:
Can you point to a 'right'? The sun has no right, it can be destroyed by another star and is in the process of decaying, exploding and ceasing to exist. Humans disagree with murder, in their opinion, but the opinion doesn't create an object or force. Gravity can always be demonstrated to be acting and it's right that it pulls objects (until Earth terminates). There is no action of anything that creates any rights for humans to do any particular actions.  There is no right to express this post or to read it.

Rights point to the extent and limits (scope) of your individual freedoms among other individuals with the same scope of freedoms.

freediver wrote on Sep 21st, 2023 at 8:49am:
It is an intersubjective reality.

That is why it is meaningless to speak of one's rights when alone on an uninhabited island or in the belly of a whale, or of the rights of the Sun.

Estragon: I can’t go on like this.
Vladimir: That’s what you think.

IP Logged

chimera
Gold Member

Australian Politics

armidale
Reply #11 - Sep 21st, 2023 at 10:27am

A murder victim (which is a reality) has no freedom to live so it's not a 'right'. The freedom is only derived from judges, cops and jail guards thinking about an idea, which is variable. The sun is right to radiate heat due to physical facts. Gravity is also right but if Albanese announced a law giving Australians the right to gravity with a target of 9.8metres /sec^, he would lose his position and be referred to a shrink.

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #12 - Sep 21st, 2023 at 10:44am

chimera wrote on Sep 21st, 2023 at 10:27am:
A murder victim (which is a reality) has no freedom to live so it's not a 'right'. The freedom is only derived from judges, cops and jail guards thinking about an idea, which is variable. The sun is right to radiate heat due to physical facts. Gravity is also right but if Albanese announced a law giving Australians the right to gravity with a target of 9.8metres /sec^, he would lose his position and be referred to a shrink.

You are confusing rights with physical attributes. A category mistake.

Rights can be violated, physical laws cannot.

IP Logged

chimera
Gold Member

Australian Politics

armidale
Reply #13 - Sep 21st, 2023 at 11:10am

'Rights' are in popular usage an immutable basis of existence. Extending the concept to physics shows the error.

The US is keen on 'rights' but has capital punishment to cancel 'right' to life, as a community right (in variable locations) as did Oz until recently. A 'right' may be given by politicians as an 'allowance' but the fact of giving ensures their capacity to delete a 'right'.

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #14 - Sep 21st, 2023 at 11:16am

chimera wrote on Sep 21st, 2023 at 11:10am:
'Rights' are in popular usage an immutable basis of existence. Extending the concept to physics shows the error.

The US is keen on 'rights' but has capital punishment to cancel 'right' to life, as a community right (in variable locations) as did Oz until recently. A 'right' may be given by politicians as an 'allowance' but the fact of giving ensures their capacity to delete a 'right'.

I dont think anyone has extended the concept of rights to be the same as physical attributes, apart perhaps from you.

Using words interchangeably even though they are not interchangeable is the error. Perhaps the root of the confusion is the use of 'physical laws' as if the physical phenomena were determined by humans like legal laws.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 35
Send Topic Print