What is a 'right'? (Read 14242 times)
freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Re: What is a 'right'?
Reply #120 - Sep 26th, 2023 at 4:22pm

chimera wrote on Sep 26th, 2023 at 4:09pm:
If China decides to enslave people, who will prevent it? You, Albanese, Athos? Not Biden, his ships are rusty.

The men in white coats.

People who can't distinguish between etymology and entomology bug me in ways I cannot put into words.
IP Logged

chimera
Gold Member

Australian Politics

armidale
Reply #121 - Sep 26th, 2023 at 4:39pm

freediver wrote on Sep 26th, 2023 at 4:22pm:
The men in white coats.

?

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #122 - Sep 26th, 2023 at 5:14pm

chimera wrote on Sep 26th, 2023 at 4:39pm:
freediver wrote on Sep 26th, 2023 at 4:22pm:
The men in white coats.

?

They are out to get you.

People who can't distinguish between etymology and entomology bug me in ways I cannot put into words.
IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #123 - Sep 26th, 2023 at 5:26pm

chimera wrote on Sep 21st, 2023 at 7:43am:
Can you point to a 'right'? The sun has no right, it can be destroyed by another star and is in the process of decaying, exploding and ceasing to exist. Humans disagree with murder, in their opinion, but the opinion doesn't create an object or force. Gravity can always be demonstrated to be acting and it's right that it pulls objects (until Earth terminates). There is no action of anything that creates any rights for humans to do any particular actions.  There is no right to express this post or to read it.

Your rights come from Stalin -

only if he says it's right.

IP Logged

chimera
Gold Member

Australian Politics

armidale
Reply #124 - Sep 26th, 2023 at 5:35pm

freediver wrote on Sep 26th, 2023 at 5:14pm:
They are out to get you.

So you really don't get the idea of the topic. Nor can you hold on to your opinion. It's worse than it first appeared.

IP Logged

thegreatdivide
Gold Member

Australian Politics<br
/>

Reply #125 - Sep 26th, 2023 at 7:19pm

freediver wrote on Sep 21st, 2023 at 7:59am:
If it is not in your CCP handbook, then it doesn't exist.

Right?

What doesn't exist?

We have established "inalienable, natural  rights" don't exist.

Try again.

IP Logged

chimera
Gold Member

Australian Politics

armidale
Reply #126 - Sep 26th, 2023 at 7:22pm

Two of the UN Security Council 5 are blocking free speech.
https://www.aspistrategist.org.au/putins-quest-to-disconnect-russia-from-the-glo...

They are permanent members but speech isn't.

IP Logged

thegreatdivide
Gold Member

Australian Politics<br
/>

Reply #127 - Sep 26th, 2023 at 7:24pm

Lisa Jones wrote on Sep 26th, 2023 at 1:59pm:
thegreatdivide wrote on Sep 26th, 2023 at 11:05am:
The sad and sorry state of "human rights" in a world in which war is 'legal' and poverty is endemic.

https://ishr.ch/latest-updates/hrc53-key-issues-on-agenda-of-june-2023-session-o...

Key issues on agenda of June 2023 session of the Human Rights Council
The 53rd session of the UN Human Rights Council, from 19 June to 14 July 2023, will consider issues including sexual orientation and gender identity, violence and discrimination against women and girls, poverty, peaceful assembly and association, and freedom of expression, among others. It will also present an opportunity to address grave human rights situations including in Afghanistan, Belarus, China, Eritrea, Israel and oPt, Russia, Sudan, Syria and Venezuela, among many others. Here’s an overview of some of the key issues on the agenda.

Interestingly, a Chinese rep recently visiting a human rights conference in Geneva remarked on the 'rundown infrastructure' in European cities (a bit like Trump seeing Washington as a graffiti-covered slum "full of run-down buildings", during his arraignment for trial...all the result of 'Bidenomics').

The West's mantra about "Human Rights" in the face of chronic homelessness and deteriorating public infrastructure at home, is hypocrisy at its worst.

👆 A multi MasterBaiter at “work”.

As such ... IT can be safely ignored.

Poor Lisa - blind and dumb, unable to actually address the obvious confusion about "rights", even shown  at the level of the UN. 

IP Logged

Lisa Jones
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #128 - Sep 26th, 2023 at 7:32pm

thegreatdivide wrote on Sep 26th, 2023 at 7:24pm:
The sad and sorry state of "human rights" in a world in which war is 'legal' and poverty is endemic.

https://ishr.ch/latest-updates/hrc53-key-issues-on-agenda-of-june-2023-session-o...

The 53rd session of the UN Human Rights Council, from 19 June to 14 July 2023, will consider issues including sexual orientation and gender identity, violence and discrimination against women and girls, poverty, peaceful assembly and association, and freedom of expression, among others. It will also present an opportunity to address grave human rights situations including in Afghanistan, Belarus, China, Eritrea, Israel and oPt, Russia, Sudan, Syria and Venezuela, among many others. Here’s an overview of some of the key issues on the agenda.

Interestingly, a Chinese rep recently visiting a human rights conference in Geneva remarked on the 'rundown infrastructure' in European cities (a bit like Trump seeing Washington as a graffiti-covered slum "full of run-down buildings", during his arraignment for trial...all the result of 'Bidenomics').

The West's mantra about "Human Rights" in the face of chronic homelessness and deteriorating public infrastructure at home, is hypocrisy at its worst.

Poor Lisa - blind and dumb, unable to actually address the obvious confusion about "rights", even shown  at the level of the UN. 

1. I’m not poor.

2. Don’t take it personally but I just don’t want to talk to you because you’re conceited. Plus you’re a multi troll. And a fraud. Oh and I don’t like you. Under any of your ids.

If I let myself be bought then I am no longer free.

HYPATIA - Greek philosopher, mathematician and astronomer (370 - 415)

IP Logged

thegreatdivide
Gold Member

Australian Politics<br
/>

Reply #129 - Sep 26th, 2023 at 7:35pm

chimera wrote on Sep 26th, 2023 at 7:22pm:
Two of the UN Security Council 5 are blocking free speech.
https://www.aspistrategist.org.au/putins-quest-to-disconnect-russia-from-the-glo...

They are permanent members but speech isn't.

Blocking the confused "rights" ideology  emanating from the West's "freedom values" delusion, even when the homeless are clogging city streets in New York and London and Sydney, et al.

We all instinctively want "freedom" ...but above all our OWN freedom - informed by our own beliefs, gender, age, capabilities etc.

BUT....."All must submit to rule of law, for all to be free". Cicero.

You can't understand it, of course, hence the current chaos in the world.

IP Logged

thegreatdivide
Gold Member

Australian Politics<br
/>

Reply #130 - Sep 26th, 2023 at 7:43pm

Lisa Jones wrote on Sep 26th, 2023 at 7:32pm:
thegreatdivide wrote on Sep 26th, 2023 at 7:24pm:

1. I’m not poor.

"Poor" ie pitiful, for being blind AND dumb. 

Quote:
2. Don’t take it personally but I just don’t want to talk to you because you’re conceited. Plus you’re a multi troll. And a fraud. Oh and I don’t like you. Under any of your ids.

Refusal to address pressing problems - like confusion re "rights in the article -  is a chief characteristic of "deplorable" blind conservatives.

Confirmed by your retreat to insane conspiracy theories (in this case,  re IDs) as your defence.

IP Logged

chimera
Gold Member

Australian Politics

armidale
Reply #131 - Sep 26th, 2023 at 7:54pm

'Blocking the confused "rights" ideology  emanating from the West's "freedom values" delusion'.

That's getting back to the merits of a right, which is off the theme of inalienable, permanent protections of humans. A right to a home is not enforceable, people don't leave school and sit on the footpath until a home appears there.  They don't wait outside the king's fortified stronghold so he can construct a parliament for them.  But a tyrant can easily bomb homes and parliament into rubble.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #132 - Sep 26th, 2023 at 8:10pm

thegreatdivide wrote on Sep 26th, 2023 at 7:19pm:
freediver wrote on Sep 21st, 2023 at 7:59am:
If it is not in your CCP handbook, then it doesn't exist.

Right?

What doesn't exist?

We have established "inalienable, natural  rights" don't exist.

Try again.

Do you mean the ones that are part of your anatomy?

IP Logged

chimera
Gold Member

Australian Politics

armidale
Reply #133 - Sep 26th, 2023 at 8:20pm

Are you going to be a slave or not? When will you fly out?
Tell your master you have a right to your kidneys and he'll grin and tell you something about the spare parts industry. Tell him you permanently argue and rave on and it's your right and he can't stop you and you're a Chinese stooge and he is too and why is pointing a knife into your mouth...

IP Logged

thegreatdivide
Gold Member

Australian Politics<br
/>

Reply #134 - Sep 26th, 2023 at 8:34pm

chimera wrote on Sep 26th, 2023 at 7:54pm:
'Blocking the confused "rights" ideology  emanating from the West's "freedom values" delusion'.

That's getting back to the merits of a right, which is off the theme of inalienable, permanent protections of humans.

1. We both agree inalieable natural rights don't exist, though many think they do. Hence the confusion even at the level of the UN.

2. The UNUDHR certainly addresses well-being and security for ALL humans, in a world "free from the scourge of war".   Meritorious rights?

Quote:
A right to a home is not enforceable, people don't leave school and sit on the footpath until a home appears there.

Many people are reduced to building their own substanded housing - or living in tents - even in the world's cities; a consequence of the failure of governments following mainstream neoclassical orthodoxy.

Once again, regardless of "rights", it's obviously desirable that the entire population is decently housed.    

Quote:
They don't wait outside the king's fortified stronghold so he can construct a parliament for them.  But a tyrant can easily bomb homes and parliament into rubble.

Looking back at history; and Charles isn't responsible for the homelessness in the UK today.

As for "tyrants": Putin is rendered insane by tribalist "national sovereignty" ideology, even though Russia is already the biggest country in the world by far.  He could have invited all Russians living in Ukraine back to Russia, and avoided what will be a catastrophe for both countries. 

As for Taiwan;   Chinese people live there, they want to secede from China, on the basis of the "freedom values" delusion.  Provided the US - currently the 'global policeman(!) - doesn't declare Taiwan independent, Xi can leave the separatist Taiwanese clowns alone for the time being, without bombing them.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... 35
Send Topic Print