Send Topic Print
What is a 'right'? (Read 14200 times)
freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Re: What is a 'right'?
Reply #165 - Sep 28th, 2023 at 2:32pm

Everyone already knows that human rights are not part of our anatomy. This is not the brilliant insight you seem to think.

People who can't distinguish between etymology and entomology bug me in ways I cannot put into words.
IP Logged

chimera
Gold Member

Australian Politics

armidale
Reply #166 - Sep 28th, 2023 at 4:03pm

I need to explain the question. Then explain my answer. You can't read #48. The only benefit i get from you is your insult.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #167 - Sep 28th, 2023 at 4:33pm

Perhaps you should stop posting such stupid things if the responses bother you.

People who can't distinguish between etymology and entomology bug me in ways I cannot put into words.
IP Logged

thegreatdivide
Gold Member

Australian Politics<br
/>

Reply #168 - Sep 28th, 2023 at 6:04pm

freediver wrote on Sep 28th, 2023 at 2:13pm:
Quote:
1. Indeed the UN is not "a person": nevertheles,  the UN was created to "save mankind from the scourge of war".

Hence a significant  issue confronted at the UN is ..... ...what are 'rights'.

That does not follow at all.

Can you explain why "it does not follow?"   The UN is consumed by considerations of "rights", like the "rights" to security and  well-being, obviously impossible if the "right" to make war is 'inalienable', or in fact  just legal mumbo jumbo. 

You are simply unable to begin to consider all the practical contradictions involved  in "rights" theory....which is why are you such a a prize fraud,  not willing to say what your postulated 'natural inalienable rights' are (apparently 'self-evident' and God-given,  no less).

Quote:
What is it with all the meaningless gibberish from the CCP stooges on human rights? What is it that you want to say but you keep skirting around?

All said above; now defend your argument by telling us what these  "inalienable rights"  are***, or be exposed as the guesome "freedom values" ideological  fraud you are. 

*** I notice you have said "rights are not our anatomy" ...ok genius, tell us what they ARE, rather than what they aren't.   

« Last Edit: Sep 28th, 2023 at 6:10pm by thegreatdivide »  

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #169 - Sep 28th, 2023 at 6:27pm

It does not follow because there is an absence of a link between one statement and the next.

If your only point is that the UN is concerned with denying that there is a fundamental inalienable human right to make war, then I would say that you are both correct and trivial to the point of being moronic. Which I suppose is probably the point of this thread. Perhaps this sort of thing is news to CCP stooges.

IP Logged

thegreatdivide
Gold Member

Australian Politics<br
/>

Reply #170 - Sep 28th, 2023 at 6:46pm

freediver wrote on Sep 28th, 2023 at 6:27pm:
It does not follow because there is an absence of a link between one statement and the next.

If your only point is that the UN is concerned with denying that there is a fundamental inalienable human right to make war, then I would say that you are both correct and trivial to the point of being moronic. Which I suppose is probably the point of this thread. Perhaps this sort of thing is news to CCP stooges.

As expected, by refusing to give examples of  "inalienable natural rights", you continue to expose yourself  as  a prize fraud. 

Of course that's not my 'only' point (highlighted); indeed, the UN itself confusedly posits 'rules of "legal" war',  while also postulating "rights"  to security; my example is only to point to the contradictions that arise when discussing "rights".

Keep refusing to elucidate these"inalienable rights"; it will enable me to crush your "freedom values" delusion slowly ...roast you slowly, as Keating said. 

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #171 - Sep 28th, 2023 at 6:52pm

Three great insights into human rights from the resident CCP stooges:

Human rights are not a part of our anatomy, because we are not turtles, even though the UN says housing is a human right.

The UN helped to prevent war by refraining from granting people a fundamental human right to make war.

War violates people's human rights. It is terribly confusing when organisations like the UN use the word war and human rights on the same website.

Anything else?

IP Logged

chimera
Gold Member

Australian Politics

armidale
Reply #172 - Sep 29th, 2023 at 5:10am

freediver wrote on Sep 28th, 2023 at 6:52pm:
, because we are not turtles,

Anything else?

Turtles don't comprehend English.

IP Logged

thegreatdivide
Gold Member

Australian Politics<br
/>

Reply #173 - Sep 29th, 2023 at 10:40am

freediver wrote on Sep 28th, 2023 at 6:52pm:
Three great insights into human rights from the resident CCP stooges:

Still waiting for YOUR great insights into human rights.....

Quote:
Human rights are not a part of our anatomy, because we are not turtles, even though the UN says housing is a human right.

(By-passing the stupidity of comparing a turtle's shell with the 'homes' of other creatures);

So you know that a human right is not part of our anatomy... though obviously we need to retain possession of our anatomy, just as humans in a modern economy need homes to successfully particpate in the modern economy.

[Interestingly, when black primary school children in a remote community were asked: "what would your voice say", one said "we want houses"....]

Still waiting for your description of what a human right is.

Quote:
The UN helped to prevent war by refraining from granting people a fundamental human right to make war.

1. As many people have been killed in wars since 1946, as died in WW2 itself.

2. Morely likely the threat of MAD (in the nuclear age) has prevented another world war since 1946, but lesser wars have been extremely costly in blood and treasure.

3. Your meaning is unclear (as expected from a prize fraud); eg "(refraining from) granting people a fundamental right to make war". 

Do you mean the right to make war is a fundamental human right? If so,  how does that sit alongside the (posited) 'fundamental right to life'? 

The UN itself does NOT refrain from granting the 'right' to make war, see the UN-based Geneva Conventions.   

Quote:
War violates people's human rights.

Amazing, we agree - though I don't agree  natural (fundamental) human rights  exist at all.

What you - and I agree -  are actually saying is war is terrible for all who are caught up in war, regardless of mythical "rights". 

Quote:
It is terribly confusing when organisations like the UN use the word war and human rights on the same website.

Now can you begin to understand?

The confusion exists because 'rights' don't exist - as proven by the fact you can't identify them.   

Anything else? [/quote]

Yes: identify the fundamental "human rights" which you claim exist...are "self-evident", even.....

« Last Edit: Sep 29th, 2023 at 10:45am by thegreatdivide »  

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #174 - Sep 29th, 2023 at 10:43am

thegreatdivide wrote on Sep 29th, 2023 at 10:40am:
Yes: identify the fundamental "human rights" which you claim exist...even "self-evident".....

Freedom of thought, freedom of conscience.

Estragon: I can’t go on like this.
Vladimir: That’s what you think.

IP Logged

thegreatdivide
Gold Member

Australian Politics<br
/>

Reply #175 - Sep 29th, 2023 at 10:59am

Frank wrote on Sep 29th, 2023 at 10:43am:
Yes: identify the fundamental "human rights" which you claim exist...even "self-evident".....

So...priorities?

Freedom of thought eg "I want to make war against a nation which proposes collective wellbeing and common prosperity above individual 'freedom' "?

Is such 'freedom of thought' a self-evident right when it leads to war?

Conscience  : eg,  'fairness' is trumped by self-interest, as Sowell would contend?

But thanks for the attempt.

Fraudiver will never dare to identify these 'natural' (mythical) rights....
« Last Edit: Sep 29th, 2023 at 11:18am by thegreatdivide »  

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #176 - Sep 29th, 2023 at 12:44pm

Quote:
Still waiting for your description of what a human right is.

I told you what it is on the first page of this thread.

IP Logged

chimera
Gold Member

Australian Politics

armidale
Reply #177 - Sep 29th, 2023 at 1:01pm

And that falls short of 'inherent, inalienable right'.

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #178 - Sep 29th, 2023 at 3:21pm

thegreatdivide wrote on Sep 29th, 2023 at 10:59am:
Frank wrote on Sep 29th, 2023 at 10:43am:

So...priorities?

Freedom of thought eg "I want to make war against a nation which proposes collective wellbeing and common prosperity above individual 'freedom' "?

Is such 'freedom of thought' a self-evident right when it leads to war?

Conscience  : eg,  'fairness' is trumped by self-interest, as Sowell would contend?

But thanks for the attempt.

Fraudiver will never dare to identify these 'natural' (mythical) rights....

No 'ifs', 'buts' or 'whens' ....

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

Sir Eoin O Fada
Gold Member

Australian Politics

New England, NSW
Reply #179 - Sep 29th, 2023 at 4:44pm

The right to life for starters trumps anything else.

Self defence is a right.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 ... 35
Send Topic Print