What is a 'right'? (Read 14177 times)
freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Re: What is a 'right'?
Reply #210 - Oct 4th, 2023 at 1:36pm

Quote:
The issue is the meaning of the phrase "inter-subjective-reality", not (or as well as)  the meaning of the individual words in the phrase.

Ah.

Have you tried googling the phrase instead of the individual words?

Or in the case of your most recent attempt, the word components?

I could copy and paste it for you, but I think you will learn more if you figure out how to google whole phrases for yourself.

Does your owner not allow you to use google?

People who can't distinguish between etymology and entomology bug me in ways I cannot put into words.
IP Logged

thegreatdivide
Gold Member

Australian Politics<br
/>

Reply #211 - Oct 5th, 2023 at 9:41am

freediver wrote on Oct 4th, 2023 at 1:36pm:
Quote:
The issue is the meaning of the phrase "inter-subjective-reality", not (or as well as)  the meaning of the individual words in the phrase.

Ah.

I could copy and paste it for you, but I think you will learn more if you figure out how to google whole phrases for yourself.

First answer from google (among 680K, a large number as usual):

"This is what Harari calls “intersubjective reality”. It consists of imaginary entities that exist only within the communication network linking the subjective consciousness of many individuals. Money, gods, laws, nations and corporations are some examples of intersubjective reality."12 Dec 2019

Now, fraudiver: what do YOU call "inter-subjective reality".

We have Harari's description, above, which aligns with the contention that rights are subjective, not inherent and inalienable universals, eg, of the sort the UN is seeking, in the UNUniversalDHR.   

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #212 - Oct 5th, 2023 at 10:50am

thegreatdivide wrote on Oct 5th, 2023 at 9:41am:
Quote:

Ah.

"This is what Harari calls “intersubjective reality”. It consists of imaginary entities that exist only within the communication network linking the subjective consciousness of many individuals. Money, gods, laws, nations and corporations are some examples of intersubjective reality."12 Dec 2019

We have Harari's description, above, which aligns with the contention that rights are subjective, not inherent and inalienable universals, eg, of the sort the UN is seeking, in the UNUniversalDHR.   

That sounds like a reasonable description to me. And there is nothing in it that contradicts rights being inalienable.

Are you still trying to convince everyone that human rights are not a part of our anatomy?

People who can't distinguish between etymology and entomology bug me in ways I cannot put into words.
IP Logged

thegreatdivide
Gold Member

Australian Politics<br
/>

Reply #213 - Oct 5th, 2023 at 11:21am

freediver wrote on Oct 5th, 2023 at 10:50am:
thegreatdivide wrote on Oct 5th, 2023 at 9:41am:
Quote:

Ah.

That sounds like a reasonable description to me.

Good...so let's see  it help us to determine/clarify "what is a right"?   

Quote:
And there is nothing in it that contradicts rights being inalienable.

"... imaginary entities that exist only within the communication network linking the subjective consciousness of many individuals

So the "subjective consciousness of many individuals" is an inalienable right, according to you.

Which explains why endless wars and entrenched poverty rule the world, the very condition the UN was trying to change, in order to "save mankind from the scourge of war" 

Quote:
Are you still trying to convince everyone that human rights are not a part of our anatomy?

Indeed the conscious desire for 'fairness' (often conflated with "rights") arises in the human cortex brain which IS part of our anatomy.

But it seems you think our kidneys, for example,  are the seat of "rights"....oops....

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #214 - Oct 5th, 2023 at 11:23am

Quote:
So the "subjective consciousness of many individuals" is an inalienable right, according to you.

No, that is not what I said.

IP Logged

thegreatdivide
Gold Member

Australian Politics<br
/>

Reply #215 - Oct 5th, 2023 at 11:39am

freediver wrote on Oct 5th, 2023 at 11:23am:
Quote:

Yet you - being fraudiver - don't have the nous or integrity to explain what you think the passage means, hence being a prize fraud, you are satisfied to rely on  what you didn't/won't say. 

Let's have another try - and see where the fraud takes us this time...:

(Rights are) "... imaginary entities that exist only within the communication network linking the subjective consciousness of many individuals"

What does that say, for YOU, re 'inalienable rights'?

And can you give an example of said "rights".

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #216 - Oct 5th, 2023 at 1:33pm

Can you tell the difference between these two statements?

Apples are a type of fruit.

Fruit are a type of apple.

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #217 - Oct 5th, 2023 at 7:28pm

thegreatdivide wrote on Oct 5th, 2023 at 11:39am:
Quote:

Yet you - being fraudiver - don't have the nous or integrity to explain what you think the passage means, hence being a prize fraud, you are satisfied to rely on  what you didn't/won't say. 

(Rights are) "... imaginary entities that exist only within the communication network linking the subjective consciousness of many individuals"

Think - if that is not too much to ask of you (It is, ed.)  - of how rights can be violated and by whom and on what ground?

On what grounds can anyone deny or violate the freedom of thought and conscience?

Where does the right to violate them can come from?

Estragon: I can’t go on like this.
Vladimir: That’s what you think.

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #218 - Oct 5th, 2023 at 7:31pm

Quote:

Think - if that is not too much to ask of you (It is, ed.) - of how rights can be violated and by whom and on what ground?

On what grounds can anyone deny or violate the freedom of thought and conscience?

IP Logged

chimera
Gold Member

Australian Politics

armidale
Reply #219 - Oct 6th, 2023 at 6:50am

freediver wrote on Oct 5th, 2023 at 10:50am:
rights being inalienable.

'Rights are legal, social, or ethical principles of freedom or entitlement according to some legal system'.

That is so in signed constitutions or the signed UN charter which become law, or judge's laws. Until then, the subjective ideas have no power of entitlement and are not owed by a legal system.  Freediver has no inherent rights to be right. Being wrong is an inherent mistake and is not illegal and he has rights to do it only after it's written into law (sometimes).

IP Logged

thegreatdivide
Gold Member

Australian Politics<br
/>

Reply #220 - Oct 6th, 2023 at 9:00am

Frank wrote on Oct 5th, 2023 at 7:28pm:
Quote:

Think - if that is not too much to ask of you (It is, ed.)  - of how rights can be violated and by whom and on what ground?

Are we talking about individuals' differing opinions, and/or desires? 

chimera has  noted: 'Rights are legal, social, or ethical principles of freedom or entitlement according to some legal system'.

The underlined is key - rights are not inherent/inalienable, but exist by virtue of being established within a system of law.

Quote:

At least you are an honest debater, unlike our prize fraud, fraudiver.

In my opinion, on the grounds of collective security and wellbeing; "freedom values" ideology worshipped by naturally self-interested individuals results in the richest country in the world tolerating half its population living paycheck to paycheck, the very definition of chronic financial stress. Crippling political hyperpartisanship follows as sure as night follows day. 

Quote:

The desire for 'fairness', in human affairs.

IP Logged

thegreatdivide
Gold Member

Australian Politics<br
/>

Reply #221 - Oct 6th, 2023 at 9:20am

freediver wrote on Oct 5th, 2023 at 1:33pm:
Can you tell the difference between these two statements?

Apples are a type of fruit.

Fruit are a type of apple.

The first statement  is correct, the 2nd gramatically incorrect.

Fruit is an entire species, not a sub-category of that species (eg Granny Smith). 

"Fruit are a type of Granny Smith".....an example of the well-known "fallacy  of composition" which conservatives repeatedly fall for, because of their delusional "freedom of the individual" ideology. 

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #222 - Oct 6th, 2023 at 9:27am

What is the grammatical error?

IP Logged

chimera
Gold Member

Australian Politics

armidale
Reply #223 - Oct 6th, 2023 at 9:33am

thegreatdivide wrote on Oct 6th, 2023 at 9:00am:

The term 'rights' has many levels from subjective good manners to Trump getting 641 years behind bars. My query is to push into the US language in its major self-defining documents.  The fluid concept of the word 'rights' makes for confusion in debate here and also sloppy thinking and self-serving error in US texts.

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #224 - Oct 6th, 2023 at 9:36am

thegreatdivide wrote on Oct 6th, 2023 at 9:00am:
Frank wrote on Oct 5th, 2023 at 7:28pm:
Quote:

chimera has  noted: 'Rights are legal, social, or ethical principles of freedom or entitlement according to some legal system'.

The underlined is key - rights are not inherent/inalienable, but exist by virtue of being established within a system of law.

Quote:

At least you are an honest debater, unlike our prize fraud, fraudiver.

In my opinion, on the grounds of collective security and wellbeing; "freedom values" ideology worshipped by naturally self-interested individuals results in the richest country in the world tolerating half its population living paycheck to paycheck, the very definition of chronic financial stress. Crippling political hyperpartisanship follows as sure as night follows day. 

Quote:

The desire for 'fairness', in human affairs.

How does freedom of thought and conscience interfere with or hinder collective security and wellbeing?

Your opposing the two, as being antagonistic to each other shows the devil's hoof of your Marxist ideology.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 ... 35
Send Topic Print