Send Topic Print
What is a 'right'? (Read 14081 times)
freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Re: What is a 'right'?
Reply #360 - Oct 9th, 2023 at 3:19pm

Would you like to let everyone else in on your little fantasy?

People who can't distinguish between etymology and entomology bug me in ways I cannot put into words.
IP Logged

chimera
Gold Member

Australian Politics

armidale
Reply #361 - Oct 9th, 2023 at 3:22pm

Certainly, sir. Search the world's information, including webpages, images, videos and more. Google has many special features to help you find exactly what you're looking for.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #362 - Oct 9th, 2023 at 3:24pm

You're fantasies are undocumented.

People who can't distinguish between etymology and entomology bug me in ways I cannot put into words.
IP Logged

thegreatdivide
Gold Member

Australian Politics<br
/>

Reply #363 - Oct 9th, 2023 at 3:28pm

freediver wrote on Oct 9th, 2023 at 3:10pm:
thegreatdivide wrote on Oct 9th, 2023 at 1:47pm:
freediver wrote on Oct 9th, 2023 at 11:45am:
Quote:
The US civil war.

How many democratic elections were held in the confederacy?

Before the war? As many as were held in the union.

No, confused one. While it existed. How many democratic elections were held in the confederacy?

Witness fraudiver in full flight; the pre-(civil) war United (sic) States democracy,  with its "shared belief" in "inter-subjective reality" fell apart, so the disputing parties decided to murder one-another.

Predictable, really..... the consequence of belief in illusions so beloved by fd. 
« Last Edit: Oct 9th, 2023 at 3:36pm by thegreatdivide »  

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #364 - Oct 9th, 2023 at 3:42pm

I was talking about the confederacy. While the confederacy existed. Can you give any examples of wars in which both sides were lead by democracies?

No-one here suggested the transition to liberal democracy was sudden, complete, smooth or monotonic. That is your own fantasy, which you gleefully shot down instead of responding to what others are actually saying.

IP Logged

chimera
Gold Member

Australian Politics

armidale
Reply #365 - Oct 9th, 2023 at 3:51pm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1861_Confederate_States_presidential_election
This is fake yank nogger-lover sham. Southern gentlmen had no fancy electionnes, dammit to hell, boy. Dixie had their Jesse James who shot his way into Cotton King glory, amen. Damn yankees sold cotton to Chinee, southern boys used it to clean firearms and make real pretty skirts for Annie-Jo.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #366 - Oct 9th, 2023 at 3:56pm

So you can only identify a single war in which both sides were lead by a democracy, a civil war, and in this example one side only had a single election during it's existence, and the guy who won it ran without an opponent.

IP Logged

chimera
Gold Member

Australian Politics

armidale
Reply #367 - Oct 9th, 2023 at 4:04pm

He couldn't have won without his slaves. They was happy, sure 'nuff, ain't it so. Ole' man Madison done tell yuh, pursuit of happiness all the live long day.

IP Logged

thegreatdivide
Gold Member

Australian Politics<br
/>

Reply #368 - Oct 9th, 2023 at 4:22pm

freediver wrote on Oct 9th, 2023 at 3:56pm:
So you can only identify a single war in which both sides were lead by a democracy, a civil war,

Off the top of my head, yes; but this in one of the world's newest democracies at the time, shattering your illusion of "shared belief" in "inter-subjective reality".

Democracy hadn't existed in most of the world up to the US constitution (1789), and most of Europe up to 1918 since classical Athen's demise , so it's a  big call to even identify  a war between a  "democracy" and ANY other  nation...

Quote:
and in this example one side only had a single election during it's existence, and the guy who won it ran without an opponent.

Irrelevant. We are talking about how/why US democracy fell apart - with catastrophic outcomes. Elections are usually restricted in war. 

« Last Edit: Oct 9th, 2023 at 4:28pm by thegreatdivide »  

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #369 - Oct 9th, 2023 at 5:01pm

Quote:
Off the top of my head, yes; but this in one of the world's newest democracies at the time, shattering your illusion of "shared belief" in "inter-subjective reality".

Again, you are confused. Most people have never heard of intersubjective reality, so it would be hard for them to believe in it.

Quote:
Democracy hadn't existed in most of the world up to the US constitution (1789), and most of Europe up to 1918 since classical Athen's demise , so it's a  big call to even identify  a war between a  "democracy" and ANY other  nation...

How many wars have there been since 1789?

IP Logged

chimera
Gold Member

Australian Politics

armidale
Reply #370 - Oct 9th, 2023 at 5:08pm

There were 52 ancient Greek towns with some democracy who used to belt the living daylights out of the next joint.

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #371 - Oct 9th, 2023 at 5:12pm

chimera wrote on Oct 9th, 2023 at 5:08pm:
There were 52 ancient Greek towns with some democracy who used to belt the living daylights out of the next joint.

Bollocks. On stilts.

Estragon: I can’t go on like this.
Vladimir: That’s what you think.

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #372 - Oct 9th, 2023 at 5:17pm

thegreatdivide wrote on Oct 9th, 2023 at 4:22pm:
freediver wrote on Oct 9th, 2023 at 3:56pm:
So you can only identify a single war in which both sides were lead by a democracy, a civil war,

Quote:
and in this example one side only had a single election during it's existence, and the guy who won it ran without an opponent.

Irrelevant. We are talking about how/why US democracy fell apart - with catastrophic outcomes. Elections are usually restricted in war. 

This is nonsense, parrot.

Classical Athenian democracy was nothing like modern liberal democracy.
Nor the slave-owning Confederacy.

Estragon: I can’t go on like this.
Vladimir: That’s what you think.

IP Logged

chimera
Gold Member

Australian Politics

armidale
Reply #373 - Oct 9th, 2023 at 5:31pm

'We have documented examples of at least fifty-two Greek city-states including Corinth, Megara, and Syracuse that also had democratic regimes during part of their history. According to Ober (2015), the proportion of Greek city-states with democratic regimes gradually increased from the mid 6th century BC to the end of the 4th century BC, when perhaps half of the one-thousand Greek city-states in existence at the time had democratic regimes.'
Ober, Josiah (2015). The Rise and Fall of Classical Greece. Princeton University Press.
The US Founding Fathers wrote about Greek city state wars.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #374 - Oct 9th, 2023 at 5:37pm

chimera wrote on Oct 9th, 2023 at 5:08pm:

Grin

Some democracy.

Keep trying.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26 27 ... 35
Send Topic Print