chimera
Gold Member

Australian Politics

armidale
Re: What is a 'right'?
Reply #435 - Oct 13th, 2023 at 7:04pm

Frank wrote on Oct 13th, 2023 at 3:25pm:
Language is inherent in humans.
Noam Chomsky, a linguistics prof at MIT, called it 'hard wired into humans'.

'Chomsky proposes that humans possess an inherent language faculty, which enables them to acquire and understand language.'

A wood lathe is not a chair leg, it turns the timber into a chair leg. 'Faculty' and 'Language' are different.

I've used plain words. You don't understand. I've used a word-picture to illustrate a simple point. You don't understand. You don't have the faculty. (Don't paint your windscreen, OK?)

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #436 - Oct 13th, 2023 at 7:11pm

chimera wrote on Oct 13th, 2023 at 7:04pm:
Noam Chomsky, a linguistics prof at MIT, called it 'hard wired into humans'.

'Chomsky proposes that humans possess an inherent language faculty, which enables them to acquire and understand language.'

A wood lathe is not a chair leg, it turns the timber into a chair leg. 'Faculty' and 'Language' are different.

I've used plain words. You don't understand. I've used a word-picture to illustrate a simple point. You don't understand. You don't have the faculty. (Don't paint your windscreen, OK?)

"A glove is like a painted window to a lathe making a timber chair leg with paint". 

That's your 'argument.

Estragon: I can’t go on like this.
Vladimir: That’s what you think.

IP Logged

chimera
Gold Member

Australian Politics

armidale
Reply #437 - Oct 13th, 2023 at 7:16pm

Finish

IP Logged

thegreatdivide
Gold Member

Australian Politics<br
/>

Reply #438 - Oct 14th, 2023 at 1:10pm

Frank wrote on Oct 13th, 2023 at 3:43pm:
chimera wrote on Oct 13th, 2023 at 3:27pm:
You can't be born speaking a language, only with the ability to learn it.

You can smear, smudge, or blend the paint in an image. Smearing produces a similar effect to dragging across wet paint.

Yeah, sorry, my bad again, I forgot again that you are insane.

Er....excuse me, but while  the human ability to learn and speak a language might be said to be "inherent", what has that to do with the posited existence of "inherent rights"?

You are showing the limitations of analogies; stick to the subject at hand ie "inherent rights" ...which are really only desires masquerading as "rights". 

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #439 - Oct 14th, 2023 at 1:35pm

thegreatdivide wrote on Oct 14th, 2023 at 1:10pm:

You can smear, smudge, or blend the paint in an image. Smearing produces a similar effect to dragging across wet paint.

Er....excuse me, but while  the human ability to learn and speak a language might be said to be "inherent", what has that to do with the posited existence of "inherent rights"?

You are showing the limitations of analogies; stick to the subject at hand ie "inherent rights" ...which are really only desires masquerading as "rights". 

You can't be born speaking a language, only with the ability to learn it. Same with walking, tool making, cooperating, planning, etc. That is what inherent means. To realise your human characteristics, your inherent human traits, is your human right - the right to say ll f-realisation as a human being. But since you do not live alone, your rights must be tempered by the rights of other people around you. That's what interpersonal means.

The innovation of Christianity was to say that we are all born with the same inherent tt human characteristics and dignity, that there is no difference in human dignity between sexes, races, classes. This is why human rights is an idea rooted in Christianity, this particular Christian idea,  and not in Judaism, Islam, Hinduism or Buddhism, none of which recognise equal human dignity.

IP Logged

thegreatdivide
Gold Member

Australian Politics<br
/>

Reply #440 - Oct 14th, 2023 at 3:25pm

Frank wrote on Oct 14th, 2023 at 1:35pm:
thegreatdivide wrote on Oct 14th, 2023 at 1:10pm:

...which is equivalent to saying the human capacity for language is 'inherent'***, but the specific language you actually learn depends eg, on where you were born.

***"inherent" because of vocal anatomy; again, nothing to do with posited "inherent rights". 

Quote:
Same with walking, tool making, cooperating, planning, etc. That is what inherent means.

No it's not; while it may be said vocal chords are 'inherent' in human anatomy,  what is vocalised is not, eg a different language, or support for the illusions re "rights" are not 'inhernet', they depend of the self-interested individual's point of view.

It seems you are confusing the reality of differing points of view, as proof of the existence of  "inalienable rights", even though in reality those same 'rights' manifest in opposing forms, and in competiton as well as co-operation

This is the reason for fd's remarkably silly "inter-subjective reality" concept, to enable him to hold onto illusory "inalieanable rights" dogma,  even though those rights are disputed by individuals with different points of view.      

Quote:
To realise your human characteristics, your inherent human traits, is your human right - the right to say ll f-realisation as a human being. But since you do not live alone, your rights must be tempered by the rights of other people around you. That's what interpersonal means.

Yes, and interpersonal means the point of view of each individual will need to be addressed, which is why rule of law is required. 

Quote:
The innovation of Christianity was to say that we are all born with the same inherent tt human characteristics and dignity, that there is no difference in human dignity between sexes, races, classes.

Buddhism and its search by all for enlightenment,  surely also implies this 'dignity' which is available to all (if the ego is subsumed by the individual).   

Quote:
This is why human rights is an idea rooted in Christianity, this particular Christian idea,  and not in Judaism, Islam, Hinduism or Buddhism, none of which recognise equal human dignity.

Buddhism implies human dignity, and even Confucianism is concerned with dignified relations.

But our global village is experiencing an absolute chaos of  human degradation; time for some internatonal law,  as well as national and local law.   

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #441 - Oct 14th, 2023 at 4:52pm

Self-consciousness, personhood, language are all inherent human traits.

They are exercised in an interpersonal way: we recognise not only ourselves as self-conscious persons but also other human beings as well. These uniquely human, inherent traits are exercised, can only be exercised, in an inter-personal encounter with other persons. Such encounters - inevitable, inherent -  are the stuff of human institutions and societies.
Recognising common, shared humanity is the basis of articulating various concepts of what personhood is in a society. This is where the concept of rights comes up: what are the rights and obligations, freedoms and restrains of pesons living among other persons.

IP Logged

thegreatdivide
Gold Member

Australian Politics<br
/>

Reply #442 - Oct 15th, 2023 at 10:11am

Frank wrote on Oct 14th, 2023 at 4:52pm:

Yes, owing to a highly developed cortex brain, which is nevetheless influenced by the vestigial reptilian brain.

You of course ignore my concluding remark (in my previous post):

"But our global village is experiencing an absolute chaos of  human degradation; time for some internatonal law,  as well as national and local law."      

And so you attempt to justify your disinterest in international law, as follows:

Quote:
They are exercised in an interpersonal way: we recognise not only ourselves as self-conscious persons but also other human beings as well. These uniquely human, inherent traits are exercised, can only be exercised, in an inter-personal encounter with other persons. Such encounters - inevitable, inherent -  are the stuff of human institutions and societies.

That's right: but with 'the stuff' of different human  societies resulting in the  endless wars and entrenched poverty that has always existed, the globe can no longer absorb this disputation without leading to total social and economic collapse.

Quote:
Recognising common, shared humanity is the basis of articulating various concepts of what personhood is in a society. This is where the concept of rights comes up: what are the rights and obligations, freedoms and restrains of pesons living among other persons.

Exactly. It's what the UNUDHR is attempting to address - but foiled by the UNSC veto.

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #443 - Oct 15th, 2023 at 1:19pm

thegreatdivide wrote on Oct 15th, 2023 at 10:11am:

Yes, owing to a highly developed cortex brain, which is nevetheless influenced by the vestigial reptilian brain.

"But our global village is experiencing an absolute chaos of  human degradation; time for some internatonal law,  as well as national and local law."      

And so you attempt to justify your disinterest in international law, as follows:

Quote:

That's right: but with 'the stuff' of different human  societies resulting in the  endless wars and entrenched poverty that has always existed, the globe can no longer absorb this disputation without leading to total social and economic collapse.

Quote:

Exactly. It's what the UNUDHR is attempting to address - but foiled by the UNSC veto.

What is the difference - other than scale - between interpersonal and international?

IP Logged

thegreatdivide
Gold Member

Australian Politics<br
/>

Reply #444 - Oct 15th, 2023 at 2:47pm

Frank wrote on Oct 15th, 2023 at 1:19pm:

Quote:

Quote:

What is the difference - other than scale - between interpersonal and international?

'Interpersonal' usually refers to  relations within  a group or a tribe whose individuals have shared beliefs.

'International' implies law which over-rules  these different tribal beliefs,  to the extant necessary to avoid war and establish peaceful international relations.

In a sense, it IS a matter of scale, because you already have to follow the law re  eg, traffic regulations, as they relate to your own city (but obviously different levels of government have different "reach").        
« Last Edit: Oct 15th, 2023 at 2:55pm by thegreatdivide »  

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #445 - Oct 15th, 2023 at 2:54pm

thegreatdivide wrote on Oct 15th, 2023 at 2:47pm:

Quote:

Quote:

'Interpersonal' relates to  relations within  a group or a tribe whose individuals have shared beliefs.

'International' implies law which over-rules  these different tribal beliefs,  to the extant necessary to avoid war and establish peaceful international relations.

In a sense, it IS a matter of scale, because you already have to follow the law re  eg, traffic regulations, as they relate to your own city.      

I mean how do you make interpersonal laws and international laws?
What's th ee difference? You have to negotiate between individuals and groups of individuals - or between nations.

IP Logged

thegreatdivide
Gold Member

Australian Politics<br
/>

Reply #446 - Oct 15th, 2023 at 3:08pm

Frank wrote on Oct 15th, 2023 at 2:54pm:

Quote:

Quote:

'Interpersonal' relates to  relations within  a group or a tribe whose individuals have shared beliefs.

In a sense, it IS a matter of scale, because you already have to follow the law re  eg, traffic regulations, as they relate to your own city.      

What's th ee difference?

Same way in which all law is made, by establishing  the machinery necessary to legislate law, as it applies to the local, national and international arena. 

Quote:
You have to negotiate between individuals and groups of individuals - or between nations.

The governing law-makers do the negotiating, on behalf of the relevant group, eg  local council area, national or global community.

That's why we need a governing body eg in the form of a UNSC without veto,  to manage  international relations without resort to war.   

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #447 - Oct 16th, 2023 at 8:29am

chimera wrote on Oct 13th, 2023 at 9:28am:
freediver wrote on Oct 13th, 2023 at 8:57am:
Do you have the inherent ability to give a straight answer?

So you do understand English! This is excellent. 'Rights' are not inherent. The existing rights are created by people and enforced as their laws by cops with inherent big feet.

Are you trying to say we will not have rights until they become part of our anatomy?

People who can't distinguish between etymology and entomology bug me in ways I cannot put into words.
IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #448 - Oct 16th, 2023 at 10:12am

thegreatdivide wrote on Oct 15th, 2023 at 3:08pm:

Quote:

Quote:

What's th ee difference?

Same way in which all law is made, by establishing  the machinery necessary to legislate law, as it applies to the local, national and international arena. 

Quote:
You have to negotiate between individuals and groups of individuals - or between nations.

The governing law-makers do the negotiating, on behalf of the relevant group, eg  local council area, national or global community.

That's why we need a governing body eg in the form of a UNSC without veto,  to manage  international relations without resort to war.   

And how do the 'relevant groups' get elected/chosen? How do 'governing bodies' get formed, reviewed, recalled, replaced?

How does this 'same way' work in interpersonal relations?

IP Logged

thegreatdivide
Gold Member

Australian Politics<br
/>

Reply #449 - Oct 16th, 2023 at 10:43am

Frank wrote on Oct 16th, 2023 at 10:12am:
thegreatdivide wrote on Oct 15th, 2023 at 3:08pm:

Quote:

Quote:

What's th ee difference?

Quote:

And how do the 'relevant groups' get elected/chosen? How do 'governing bodies' get formed, reviewed, recalled, replaced?

How does this 'same way' work in interpersonal relations?

By the clash of opinions, consensus or elctions  and necessity......

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 28 29 30 31 32 ... 35
Send Topic Print