Send Topic Print
Ssangyong Rexton (Read 371 times)
Vic
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne Victoria
Ssangyong Rexton
Nov 21st, 2023 at 7:01am

I am thinking about buying a Rexton.    I need a car that is comfortable with a load capacity of around 3000Kgs, is comfortable, has a good warranty and is a reasonable price.     The car I have at the moment (Volvo XC90) can easily tow our poptop, but by the time we load it up, plus ourselves, it is coming close to the 2400Kg it can legally handle

For 65K, I can get a fully optioned Rexton with all the bells and whistle you can think of, 3500KG towing, 7 year warranty and fixed price servicing.    The Company used Mercedes Benz motors for a few years, but has now gone back to it's own supply.  There was also talk of Company bankruptcy, but from what I read, that has been addressed.

This will possibly be our last car for a quick rip around Australia with a bigger Van.     I would just like anyone's opinion on whether it would be a good buy.   I don't want a Ute, Landcruiser etc.

Football, Meat Pies, Kangaroos and Liberal Lies

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Re: Ssangyong Rexton
Reply #1 - Nov 21st, 2023 at 7:24am

Vic wrote on Nov 21st, 2023 at 7:01am:
I am thinking about buying a Rexton.    I need a car that is comfortable with a load capacity of around 3000Kgs, is comfortable, has a good warranty and is a reasonable price.     The car I have at the moment (Volvo XC90) can easily tow our poptop, but by the time we load it up, plus ourselves, it is coming close to the 2400Kg it can legally handle

For 65K, I can get a fully optioned Rexton with all the bells and whistle you can think of, 3500KG towing, 7 year warranty and fixed price servicing.    The Company used Mercedes Benz motors for a few years, but has now gone back to it's own supply.  There was also talk of Company bankruptcy, but from what I read, that has been addressed.

This will possibly be our last car for a quick rip around Australia with a bigger Van.     I would just like anyone's opinion on whether it would be a good buy.   I don't want a Ute, Landcruiser etc.

Its the same as the Ssang Yong Stavic.  I had two of them as Cabs.  The first went for about 950,000 klms in six years.  The second I sold, as the Cab Licence conditions changed.

Yes, they were "Mercedes" engines, but built in Korea under licence.

Five cylinder diesel.  The current versions are four cylinder I believe.

Two issues:

1.  Getting parts.  Expensive.

2.  The bllodyt engine, for not apparent reason, would put itself into limp mode sometimes when under pressure like going up a hil with a load....like pulling a van.

To resolve it, ytou had to puill off the road. Turn off, and restart.  That cleared the limp mode.

And:

3.  Occasionally, the gear lever would stick in the park position.  It is easily released if the bastards who sell you the car tell you how to do it.

Yes, it is cheaper than any of its competitors, and has bells and whistles but.......be warned.

The dealers had no idea how to fix that limp mode issue.  Some Ssang Yongs have the problem, some don't.  Luck of the draw.

IP Logged

Vic
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne Victoria
Reply #2 - Nov 21st, 2023 at 7:30am

Aussie wrote on Nov 21st, 2023 at 7:24am:
Vic wrote on Nov 21st, 2023 at 7:01am:

Its the same as the Ssang Yong Stavic.  I had two of them as Cabs.  The first went for about 950,000 klms in six years.  The second I sold, as the Cab Licence conditions changed.

Yes, they were "Mercedes" engines, but built in Korea under licence.

Five cylinder diesel.  The current versions are four cylinder I believe.

Two issues:

1.  Getting parts.  Expensive.

2.  The bllodyt engine, for not apparent reason, would put itself into limp mode sometimes when under pressure like going up a hil with a load....like pulling a van.

To resolve it, ytou had to puill off the road. Turn off, and restart.  That cleared the limp mode.

And:

3.  Occasionally, the gear lever would stick in the park position.  It is easily released if the bastards who sell you the car tell you how to do it.

Yes, it is cheaper than any of its competitors, and has bells and whistles but.......be warned.

The dealers had no idea how to fix that limp mode issue.  Some Ssang Yongs have the problem, some don't.  Luck of the draw.

Thanks Aussie - I will do some more research.    There are a couple of dedicated facebook pages and forums that I am looking at to try and get past the "dealer spin".

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #3 - Nov 21st, 2023 at 9:56am

Since reading that, I have also had a look around, and others have had the same experience I have referred to.

I was reminded of another one of its tricks.

You'd get out of the car, and walk away to do something. The bastard would lock itself, and you are stuffed if you did not take the key with you.

As a result, I had all of my drivers issued with a second key which they hooked to the belt loop-holes so when it happened, they could always get back in.

IP Logged

Vic
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne Victoria
Reply #4 - Nov 21st, 2023 at 1:18pm

Thanks again, although I must say that over 900K in six years is quite impressive for your Taxi!     The Facebook page I am on for Ssangyong is quite good - and they also echo your statement regarding scarcity of parts and service.     If around a major city or town you are apparently OK as some dealerships also support Ssangyong, but in the middle of nowhere it may be an issue.     Most recommend paying the extra for RACV type break down service - which we have on the Volvo.

More research to be done - I don't have to decide until early next year.

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #5 - Nov 21st, 2023 at 1:38pm

Vic wrote on Nov 21st, 2023 at 1:18pm:
Thanks again, although I must say that over 900K in six years is quite impressive for your Taxi!     The Facebook page I am on for Ssangyong is quite good - and they also echo your statement regarding scarcity of parts and service.     If around a major city or town you are apparently OK as some dealerships also support Ssangyong, but in the middle of nowhere it may be an issue.     Most recommend paying the extra for RACV type break down service - which we have on the Volvo.

More research to be done - I don't have to decide until early next year.   

Taxis, especially Toyotas, easily go that sort of distance.  They are probably the  most regularly serviced vehicles you can imagine, and because they are working just about 24/7/365, stay 'warm.'

I have a Hybrid Camry with 787,000 ks on it still going strong.

Keep any car up with the liquids and routinely have services done, and Bob's yer Uncle.

It is far cheaper to replace, for example, engines of Toyotas than to buy even a second hand one.  That Camry I will keep on the road, I'll keep replacing every bit that needs to be done, fully detail regularly, even paint..........and it runs, and looks, like a new one.

Unless money is the issue, despite my own good but annoying experience with those SSangYong Stavics, as I'd rather not be in one touring Australia, I'd look elsewhere...even to something used (not abused) and pay the same amount you are willing to pay for a new Rexton.

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #6 - Nov 21st, 2023 at 3:31pm

Having worked in a few Toyota Dealerships, one of which brought in SSangyongs, Protons and those Indian Marhindra's.
I thought of them as a few levels down, but not as bad as Great Walls.
They will have 'problems' you can be assured of that.
But one thing I've learned most of all.
Constant 'servicing' is the major game-changer for long lasting and problem free vehicles.
You are right, the Ssanyyongs, Protons, etc - they're all 'city' vehicles (as Korea is mostly a 'city' nation) and you will find it hard to get fixed, etc if you are woop-woop in your travels.

Always look at the Year Model Reviews if buy used.
For example, a 2006 X-Trail might have a spike in 'problems' in that year compared to others.
The sweet-spot for Hilux's were 2005-2009 of which those year models still sell very well, but most people keep them.

Personally VIC. I recommend you get a Lamborghini. You just can't go wrong anywhere with one of those.

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

Vic
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne Victoria
Reply #7 - Nov 21st, 2023 at 3:52pm

Jasin wrote on Nov 21st, 2023 at 3:31pm:
Having worked in a few Toyota Dealerships, one of which brought in SSangyongs, Protons and those Indian Marhindra's.
I thought of them as a few levels down, but not as bad as Great Walls.
They will have 'problems' you can be assured of that.
But one thing I've learned most of all.
Constant 'servicing' is the major game-changer for long lasting and problem free vehicles.
You are right, the Ssanyyongs, Protons, etc - they're all 'city' vehicles (as Korea is mostly a 'city' nation) and you will find it hard to get fixed, etc if you are woop-woop in your travels.

Always look at the Year Model Reviews if buy used.
For example, a 2006 X-Trail might have a spike in 'problems' in that year compared to others.
The sweet-spot for Hilux's were 2005-2009 of which those year models still sell very well, but most people keep them.

Personally VIC. I recommend you get a Lamborghini. You just can't go wrong anywhere with one of those.

Thanks Jas - good advice.    The other thing is to keep my current car which can happily tow a gross of 2400kg and stick with a smaller van.  What I have seen is some Jayco Vans and some imported vans from the UK that are virtually made of plastic!  They have all the good gear like full fridge, stove, ensuite etc but weigh only around the 1400Kg mark.   They are expensive though.  As for the Lambo, I definately don't need to compensate for manhood by driving a long, red car, I need to tow a van! Grin

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #8 - Nov 21st, 2023 at 4:29pm

Having worked in two Caravan Dealerships.

Stay away from Corromals.
When I highlighted the poor work done in them (from Perth) that were delivered to us. The Silicon work was atrocious. As if done by 'kids' or at least the over-paid 'cheap asian labour' that WhiteKnight says they deserve more pay. It was from this that many Dealers around Australia had a big meeting in Adelaide and came to the decision to fold on accepting any more Corromals from Perth.

Not a fan of those Royal Flairs either. Very expensive, heavy and they look like 'offices' on the inside where all those 'shiny' cupboards show fingerprints easily which looks awful.
They have been known to be not 'sealed' properly as many have been returned for be swamped by 'red dust' on the inside when people take them outback along dirt roads.

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #9 - Nov 21st, 2023 at 4:32pm

If you think you're getting a high spec car for better value think again. A car like that will get hit very hard with depreciation so you pay at the back end.
« Last Edit: Nov 21st, 2023 at 5:18pm by Gordon »  

IBI

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #10 - Nov 21st, 2023 at 5:09pm

Good point.
Look up the resale statistics.
If they're hard to sell used...

IP Logged

Vic
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne Victoria
Reply #11 - Nov 21st, 2023 at 7:02pm

Jasin wrote on Nov 21st, 2023 at 5:09pm:
Good point.

That’s true, but the only ones interested in resale value will be the people in my will.   If I was younger and my Wife a little more agile, I would go a Landcruiser, but I can’t do that.  I am more after comfort, warranty and reliability rather than resale.    It is surprising when you look for towing ability how many cars you thought could tow a decent van actually can’t.

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #12 - Nov 25th, 2023 at 12:30pm

Vic wrote on Nov 21st, 2023 at 7:02pm:
Jasin wrote on Nov 21st, 2023 at 5:09pm:
Good point.

That’s true, but the only ones interested in resale value will be the people in my will.   If I was younger and my Wife a little more agile, I would go a Landcruiser, but I can’t do that.  I am more after comfort, warranty and reliability rather than resale.    It is surprising when you look for towing ability how many cars you thought could tow a decent van actually can’t. 

Very much so. I did a lot of research and talking to experts about towing before deciding to not buy a 4X4 and caravan.

Here is what I found from a few different expert sources who had no bias, except safety.

If a 4X4 can tow 3 ton. That is the absolute limit. Not a target. You are not meant to tow 3 ton.
The same car also has a limit of 5500 rpm but you don't drive it there either .

For a reasonable safety margin use 2/3 of the tow limit. That makes it a 2 ton caravan for a car that has a 3 ton limit. That is fully loaded, bedding, clothes, fridge, food, tools, food, water.
The bare caravan weight might be 1800 kgs?

Another unspoken rule of thumb is the tow vehicle should weight more than what is being towed.
This gives it all more stability and control.
A Landcruiser weights about 2200 kgs so you should only tow something weighing about 2000 kgs.

Makes those huge american trucks that can tow 5 ton look good for a 3 ton fully loaded caravan

Modern Classic Right Wing

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print