Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 7
Send Topic Print
Rudy Giuliani ordered to pay more than $220m (Read 1553 times)
Captain Nemo
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Rudy Giuliani ordered to pay more than $220m
Dec 16th, 2023 at 11:36am

Now this is a good news story!  Cheesy

Rudy Giuliani ordered to pay more than $220m over false allegations Georgia election workers rigged 2020 vote against Donald Trump

Rudy Giuliani must pay more than $US148 million ($220 million) in damages to two former Georgia election workers he defamed through false accusations that they helped rig the 2020 election against then-president Donald Trump, a jury has decided.

The federal court jury in Washington DC found that Mr Giuliani owed the workers, Wandrea "Shaye" Moss and her mother Ruby Freeman, roughly $US73 million ($109 million) to compensate them for the reputational and emotional harm they suffered and $US75 million ($112 million) to punish the former Trump lawyer and one-time New York major for his conduct.

Mr Giuliani said he would appeal.

"The absurdity of the number merely underscores the absurdity of the entire proceeding," he told reporters outside the courtroom.

A federal judge determined before the trial that Mr Giuliani was liable for defamation, intentional infliction of emotional distress and civil conspiracy. The only question before the jury was how much in damages to impose on Mr Giuliani, who helped Mr Trump advance his false claims of a stolen 2020 election.

The verdict was reached after an emotional three days of testimony in which Ms Moss and Ms Freeman, who are black, recounted the deluge of racist and sexist messages, including threats of lynching, they received after Mr Trump and his allies spread false claims that they were engaged in voter fraud.

"Mr Giuliani thought he could get away with making Ruby [Freeman] and Shaye [Moss] the face of election fraud because he thought they were ordinary and expendable," the workers' lawyer Michael Gottlieb said during his closing argument.

"He has no right to offer defenceless civil servants up to a virtual mob in order to overturn an election."

The plaintiffs requested at least $US48 million ($72 million) on the defamation claim and an unspecified sum for emotional distress and punitive damages.

Joseph Sibley, a lawyer for Mr Giuliani, acknowledged that his client had caused harm, but said the penalty the plaintiffs sought would be "catastrophic" for his client. He told the jury Mr Giuliani was a "good man", referencing his role as mayor of New York following the September 11, 2001, terrorist attacks.

"Rudy Giuliani shouldn't be defined by what's happened in recent times," Mr Sibley said during his closing argument.

Mr Giuliani, who publicly claimed he would testify during the trial, ultimately opted not to take the witness stand.

He made repeated false claims that a surveillance video showed Ms Moss and Ms Freeman concealing and counting "suitcases" filled with illegal ballots at a basketball arena in Atlanta that was used to process votes during the 2020 election.

Mr Trump also singled out Ms Freeman by name in a highly publicised January 2021 phone call during which he pressured Georgia's top election officer, Brad Raffensperger, to "find" votes to overturn his narrow defeat in the state.

A state investigation found that the woman were legally and properly processing ballots. Lawyers for the two women alleged that the claims were part of a conspiracy that involved Mr Trump, his legal team and a right-wing media outlet to help Mr Trump sow doubt about the election and reverse his defeat to Democrat Joe Biden.

Mr Giuliani has faced a series of civil and criminal woes — and mounting legal fees — since helping to spearhead Mr Trump's efforts to overturn the election.

Mr Giuliani has been criminally charged in the Georgia racketeering case against Mr Trump and several of his allies, in part for targeting Ms Moss and Ms Freeman. He has pleaded not guilty.

Reuters

Posted 1h ago

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-12-16/rudy-giuliani-damages-georgia-election-wo...

The 2025 election could be a shocker.
IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Rudy Giuliani ordered to pay more than $220m
Reply #1 - Dec 16th, 2023 at 12:10pm

Excellent news

Maybe he can ask his best mate and billionaire to help him out? Cheesy Cheesy

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #2 - Dec 16th, 2023 at 12:16pm

Oh, what a wonderful start to the weekend   Smiley

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #3 - Dec 16th, 2023 at 1:36pm

A Washington, DC, jury has ordered Rudy Giuliani to pay nearly $150 million US to two Georgia election workers for the harm caused by defamatory statements he made about them following the 2020 election.

Ruby Freeman was awarded $16,171,000 for defamation and $20 million for emotional distress. Shaye Moss, Freeman’s daughter, was awarded $16,998,000 for defamation and $20 million for emotional distress. The jury also awarded $75 million in punitive damages to both plaintiffs.

Giuliani watched intently as the verdict was read, using a stylus on a touch-screen device, apparently taking down notes on the figures he’d been ordered to pay. After leaving the courtroom, the former New York mayor and onetime attorney to former President Donald Trump vowed to appeal.

The appeal will be good  Smiley

More lawyers' fees, plus he might be ordered to pay more.

Rudy - "I was just tucking my shirt in" - Giuliani will spend the rest of his life either paying off legal debts, fighting appeals in court, or rotting away in a prison cell.

Maybe there is a God after all.

IP Logged

Karnal
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #4 - Dec 16th, 2023 at 3:19pm

That's unfair, Greggery. Rudy saw them passing around USB sticks full of fake votes as if they were dishing out drugs. Can you imagine? Drug dealing.

You can tell by looking at them. Honestly, if you get messed up in that sort of business, you deserve everything you get.

And no, I don't care if Rudy did think he was telling fibs, he had every right to expose this. America is a free society, no? They have a constitution, yes?

Besides, the district these women were counting went to the leftards.

On paper, anyway. If Georgia had agreed to find Mr Trump more votes as they were instructed, none of this had to happen. Rudy never would have said a thing. These women would have been free to carry on with their lives.

I'm sorry, leftards, you only have yourselves to blame.

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #5 - Dec 16th, 2023 at 4:06pm

I hope he appeals and I hope the appeal judge doubles the penalties   Cheesy

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

philperth2010
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Perth
Reply #6 - Dec 16th, 2023 at 4:17pm

The ridiculous amount of compensation will more than likely be reduced on appeal....Rudy had no evidence these woman were doing anything wrong and chose to single them out and putting them and their families in danger....Rudy offered no defence for his bullshit and has ruined what was left of his life....It is sad to see someone who was respected fall so low!!!

Sad Sad Sad

If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them.
Isaac Asimov (1920 - 1992)

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #7 - Dec 16th, 2023 at 4:40pm

philperth2010 wrote on Dec 16th, 2023 at 4:17pm:
The ridiculous amount of compensation will more than likely be reduced on appeal....

I don't think so at all.

He completely destroyed those women's lives.

They'll need security around the clock, and somebody has to pay for that.

The amount was nowhere near enough in my opinion - I hope he appeals (he won't though, coz he's a coward), and I hope the amount is doubled.

The problem, of course, is the fact that creepy Rudy doesn't have any money, so they'll probably never see a cent.

Let's just hope creepy Rudy rots in a prison cell instead.

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #8 - Dec 17th, 2023 at 6:57am

Estragon: I can’t go on like this.
Vladimir: That’s what you think.

IP Logged

Black Orchid
Gold Member

Reply #9 - Dec 17th, 2023 at 8:44am

Frank wrote on Dec 17th, 2023 at 6:57am:

Grin

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #10 - Dec 17th, 2023 at 8:46am

Frank wrote on Dec 17th, 2023 at 6:57am:

Grin

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #11 - Dec 17th, 2023 at 8:57am

greggerypeccary wrote on Dec 16th, 2023 at 4:40pm:
The ridiculous amount of compensation will more than likely be reduced on appeal....

I don't think so at all.

The amount was nowhere near enough in my opinion - I hope he appeals (he won't though, coz he's a coward), and I hope the amount is doubled.

The problem, of course, is the fact that creepy Rudy doesn't have any money, so they'll probably never see a cent.

They might not see much of the fine. Rich people hide their money well.
It bodes badly for trump

Modern Classic Right Wing

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #12 - Dec 17th, 2023 at 9:03am

Sprintcyclist wrote on Dec 17th, 2023 at 8:57am:

I don't think so at all.

It bodes badly for trump

True.  But at least those women have had their names cleared.

Our esteemed leader:

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #13 - Dec 17th, 2023 at 9:46am

Change is on the way:

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #14 - Dec 17th, 2023 at 10:46am

Sprintcyclist wrote on Dec 17th, 2023 at 8:57am:

I don't think so at all.

It bodes badly for trump

No, they might not receive anything unfortunately.

But Giuliani will spend the rest of his life broke and in court or prison, so it's still a good result.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 7
Send Topic Print