Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 6
Send Topic Print
AUKUS (Read 3203 times)
Brian Ross

Representative of me

Re: AUKUS
Reply #15 - Feb 20th, 2024 at 7:39pm

Someone said we could not judge a person's Aboriginality on their skin colour.  Why isn't that applied in the matter of Pascoe?  Tsk, tsk, tsk...   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
IP Logged

Sir Eoin O Fada
Gold Member

Australian Politics

New England, NSW
Reply #16 - Feb 20th, 2024 at 8:33pm

Brian Ross wrote on Jan 4th, 2024 at 8:25pm:

Yeah, like the bonds of matrimony or a politician’s oath of allegiance.

Self defence is a right.

IP Logged

Brian Ross

Representative of me

Reply #17 - Mar 7th, 2024 at 12:42pm

Someone said we could not judge a person's Aboriginality on their skin colour.  Why isn't that applied in the matter of Pascoe?  Tsk, tsk, tsk...   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
IP Logged

Brian Ross

Representative of me

Reply #18 - Mar 12th, 2024 at 4:05pm

IP Logged

whiteknight
Gold Member

Australian Politics

melbourne
Will Australia Still Get The Nuclear Subs???
Reply #19 - Mar 13th, 2024 at 7:33pm

US sub decision sparks concerns for AUKUS

The New Daily
Mar 13, 2024

Virginia-class submarines supposed to be delivered this year are running more than 30 months late.

Former PM Malcolm Turnbull has warned Australia may never get the nuclear submarines it was promised under AUKUS, after a drastic funding decision in the US.   Sad

Under the AUKUS agreement, the US will sell Australia at least three, and possibly five, second-hand Virginia-class subs in the early 2030s – the first by 2032.

But production of one submarine has been cut from the proposed US defence budget for 2025, sparking concerns for Canberra’s planned acquisition.

Turnbull said Australia was completely dependent on Washington to acquire the sub and US would always back its own navy if there was a shortage in production.

“The reality is the Americans are not going to make their submarine deficit worse than it is already by giving or selling submarines to Australia, and the AUKUS legislation actually sets that up,” he told ABC radio on Wednesday.

“We are bobbing along as a cork in the maelstrom of American politics.

“The reality is, unless the Americans are able to dramatically change the pace at which they’re producing submarines – and there’s no reason to believe they will be able to do so – we will not ever get the submarines that were promised.”

US defence under-secretary comptroller and chief financial officer Michael McCord said Virginia-class submarines meant to be delivered this year in America were running an average of more than 30 months late.

There are still more than a dozen subs ordered and in production.

The US reportedly must lift its submarine production to two a year by 2028 to even meet its own needs.

To allow for sales to Australia, it needs an annual build rate of 2.33. But its for the past decade has been just 1.3 subs a year.

Former senator, and one-time submariner, Rex Patrick took aim at the AUKUS arrangements on Wednesday.

“We’re pouring $4.7 billion into US shipyards to get the US sub production rate from 1.4 subs per annum to 2.3. If, after we’ve handed over our money, they only hit 2 boats per annum, the US fulfil their sub needs and we get NO subs at all,” he wrote on X.

“Even if the 2.3 target is hit, the President can renege if transferring the subs is not ‘consistent with US foreign policy and national security interest’. Those ‘Humpty Dumpty’ words can mean just what the President choses them to mean; nothing more, nothing less.”   Sad

President Joe Biden’s budget request for 2025 also includes US$11 billion ($16.7 billion) for additional investment over the next five years for the domestic submarine industry.

“We’ve already had some beginnings of submarine industrial base investments … It was a priority in last year’s budget, which, again, we don’t have that money yet, so that’s a problem,” McCord said.

Australia will also contribute $3 billion to the US submarine industry to help increase production rates.   Sad

McCord said spending money to prop up the industry rather than spending it on another submarine was a smarter investment, as the US pushed to boost its production rate to two submarines a year.

“We thought that going a different direction was our best move in that,” he said.

But Defence Minister Richard Marles said that despite the financial decisions, Australia, Britain and the US remained committed to the AUKUS pact under which the subs would be delivered.

“All three AUKUS partners are working at pace to integrate our industrial bases and to realise this historic initiative between our countries,” he said.

Rank and file Labor members have come out against the AUKUS agreement, questioning why Australia would send billions of dollars to prop up the US production line.   Sad

Labor Against War branded the US budget cut to the Virginia-class a “potential lethal blow to AUKUS”.

IP Logged

whiteknight
Gold Member

Australian Politics

melbourne
Re: Will Australia Still Get The Nuclear Subs???
Reply #20 - Mar 13th, 2024 at 7:37pm

Australia will also contribute $3 billion to the US submarine industry to help increase production rates.   Sad   Where is the money coming from?.   Sad   

IP Logged

Laugh till you cry
Gold Member

In your happy place
Reply #21 - Mar 13th, 2024 at 8:56pm

Australia is joining the free money handouts to US industry.

Australia should buy Chinese submarines. They can deliver at about 20% of the price of US products.

Australia will never get US subs. It might get to name a sub which has several Australian sailors under  the command of a US officer.

Please don't thank me. Effusive fawning and obeisance of disciples, mendicants, and foot-kissers embarrass me.

IP Logged

Brian Ross

Representative of me

Reply #22 - Mar 19th, 2024 at 3:07pm

IP Logged

Belgarion
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #23 - Mar 19th, 2024 at 3:44pm

Brian Ross wrote on Mar 19th, 2024 at 3:07pm:

I think this bit says it all..."Instead, the government has called for public spending cuts across all departments, including 7.5 percent from the New Zealand Ministry of Defence and 6.5 percent from the NZDF."

As mentioned in previous comments NZ is looking for defence handouts while contributing very little. Given their ties with China they are an unreliable ally and I doubt the UK and especially the US would look favourably on them joining. We have precedent for this with the ANZUS issue. We do not want NZ causing problems for us again.

"I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."

Voltaire.....(possibly)

IP Logged

Brian Ross

Representative of me

Reply #24 - Mar 21st, 2024 at 12:59pm

IP Logged

Belgarion
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #25 - Mar 21st, 2024 at 2:04pm

Brian Ross wrote on Mar 21st, 2024 at 12:59pm:

We are already a de facto member given our our 'global partner' relationship with NATO. This new SOFA is probably because there will be increasing numbers of UK personnel posted here, many with their families.

"I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."

Voltaire.....(possibly)

IP Logged

Brian Ross

Representative of me

Reply #26 - Mar 22nd, 2024 at 1:58pm

« Last Edit: Mar 22nd, 2024 at 2:07pm by Brian Ross »  

IP Logged

Brian Ross

Representative of me

Reply #27 - Mar 22nd, 2024 at 3:13pm

IP Logged

Brian Ross

Representative of me

Reply #28 - Mar 24th, 2024 at 12:55pm

IP Logged

Brian Ross

Representative of me

Reply #29 - Mar 25th, 2024 at 2:19pm

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 6
Send Topic Print