Send Topic Print
Alcohol (Read 3480 times)
Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Alcohol
Feb 21st, 2024 at 11:00am

I stopped drinking about 5 months ago.
Since then my life has improved in almost every area.
Nothing has got worse.

The obvious things, I have more time, more money, make better decisions, am happier, stronger, fitter and healthier, are more considerate and have better personal relationships.

I watch TV shows and see how alcohol is present almost everywhere.
I've been to various pubs recently looking for a venue for meetings and they are have depressed people in there.

Modern Classic Right Wing

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Re: Alcohol
Reply #1 - Feb 21st, 2024 at 5:25pm

God bless you.

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #2 - Feb 21st, 2024 at 5:26pm

Well done, Sprint   Smiley

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #3 - Feb 21st, 2024 at 6:25pm

Are you on the Holy Water now Sprint? Cheesy

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

Laugh till you cry
Gold Member

In your happy place
Reply #4 - Feb 21st, 2024 at 6:33pm

If MenstrualCyclist is visiting pubs ("I've been to various pubs recently looking for") looking for the life he lost.

How can a purported abstainer claim to be off the booze if he is "visiting pubs" and fantasizing about alcohol in TV shows and movies?

Please don't thank me. Effusive fawning and obeisance of disciples, mendicants, and foot-kissers embarrass me.

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #5 - Feb 21st, 2024 at 6:37pm

Jasin wrote on Feb 21st, 2024 at 6:25pm:
Are you on the Holy Water now Sprint? Cheesy

hahahah, thanks to you and Greg.

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Crocodile Hunter: Origins

Rockhampton
Reply #6 - Feb 22nd, 2024 at 2:00am

I have been a regular drinker for the last 3 years. My personality has changed quite a bit that I have gotten to a point where I want to figure out when my last drink should be. There is about 2 drinks worth of scotch sitting in its bottle, awaiting me coming home to finish tonight.

The last time I went sober for a long time (10 months) was about 9 years ago. I lost a lot of weight. My sleeping patterns became a regular 5 hours a night that I thought I was becoming an insomniac. But I managed to use the other 19 hours of the day quite well. I did a lot of work and I could concentrate quite well. I recall the feeling of bliss I had as a teenager, before the stress of becoming an adult took over.

I wish I saved my money and my health by not having alcohol at regular intervals. But, it seems that my mental health has been saved by having alcohol.

At this stage...
IP Logged

AusGeoff
Gold Member

Sage of Gippsland

Victoria
Reply #7 - Feb 22nd, 2024 at 5:55am

Good onya Sprint!    👍

(I gave up the poison more than 10 years ago.)

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #8 - Feb 23rd, 2024 at 3:50am

UnSubRocky wrote on Feb 22nd, 2024 at 2:00am:
I have been a regular drinker for the last 3 years. My personality has changed quite a bit that I have gotten to a point where I want to figure out when my last drink should be. There is about 2 drinks worth of scotch sitting in its bottle, awaiting me coming home to finish tonight.

The last time I went sober for a long time (10 months) was about 9 years ago. I lost a lot of weight. My sleeping patterns became a regular 5 hours a night that I thought I was becoming an insomniac. But I managed to use the other 19 hours of the day quite well. I did a lot of work and I could concentrate quite well. I recall the feeling of bliss I had as a teenager, before the stress of becoming an adult took over.

I wish I saved my money and my health by not having alcohol at regular intervals. But, it seems that my mental health has been saved by having alcohol.

Thanks for sharing your experience

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #9 - Feb 23rd, 2024 at 3:54am

AusGeoff wrote on Feb 22nd, 2024 at 5:55am:
Good onya Sprint!    👍

(I gave up the poison more than 10 years ago.)

Well done.
I found the first month dry was the hardest, after that it became easier.
Now I jealously guard and am very pleased with my 5 months. I can 'do stuff' better.

Is alcohol a depressing poison or a poisonous depressant?

IP Logged

Sir Eoin O Fada
Gold Member

Australian Politics

New England, NSW
Reply #10 - Feb 23rd, 2024 at 11:57am

I have been imbibing for just over 70 years, have only been drunk twice in that time.
My tipple of choice has always been  whisky but in moderation, I still have half a bottle of Grant’s that my mother-in-law gave me ove r 30 years ago.
I drink a dram or two in her memory on her birthday.
Not for nothing is whisky known as ‘uisge beatha’ in Gaelic [aqua vitae, or ‘water of life] and had medicinal properties, such as the washing of wounds.
Taken in moderation it is a good friend but abused it is a terrible enemy.
Congratulations to those who have overcome it when it has become an enemy.

Tip on imbibing in whisky, only drink the good stuff, no matter how expensive [ within reason😀]
Drink it neat and only sip

Self defence is a right.

IP Logged

Redmond Neck
Gold Member

OzPolitic

ACT
Reply #11 - Feb 23rd, 2024 at 12:33pm

Now 86 weeks off the booze.

That is after drinking fairly regularly for 60 years.

BAN ALL THESE ABO SITES RECOGNITIONS.

ALL AUSTRALIA IS FOR ALL AUSTRALIANS!

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #12 - Feb 23rd, 2024 at 12:57pm

Drinking alcohol is very occassional for me and mostly just a complimentary one when offered by my being a guest. It's enough for me to put up with, no different to other things in life.
I still have a near full bottle's worth of a collection-mix of alcohols I found when cleaning up a large collection of old automotive decor toys and models. You know the ones that carry little decor fills of alcohol for novelties. I replaced them all with some cheap recent whiskey. Now these very aged alcohols had become very potent. Just a bottle-cap's worth is enough to constitute a hit from a full glass. As some were as old as 1940 - I guess I now have a bottle of very smooth that hits like the whip of a Balrog!

IP Logged

Laugh till you cry
Gold Member

In your happy place
Reply #13 - Feb 23rd, 2024 at 1:01pm

There's a story of a sinner who used to be a winner ... its such a shame ... oh demon alcohol, sad memories I can't recall.

The Kinks, a great band. Jazz-Blues style.

« Last Edit: Feb 23rd, 2024 at 1:09pm by Laugh till you cry »  

Please don't thank me. Effusive fawning and obeisance of disciples, mendicants, and foot-kissers embarrass me.

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #14 - Feb 23rd, 2024 at 1:03pm

Redmond Neck wrote on Feb 23rd, 2024 at 12:33pm:
Now 86 weeks off the booze.

That is after drinking fairly regularly for 60 years.

You've just transferred your addictive nature for wordles, waffles, quordles, etc.
Which means you can still be the same arsehole doing such, as you were an alcoholic.

Take up Buddhism - its a good discipline to break that endless circle of addiction overall.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print