Australian Politics

Here
Re: NRL Vegas
Reply #30 - Mar 15th, 2024 at 3:35pm

UnSubRocky wrote on Mar 15th, 2024 at 2:41pm:
Dnarever wrote on Mar 14th, 2024 at 9:51pm:
UnSubRocky wrote on Mar 5th, 2024 at 4:11pm:
Dnarever wrote on Mar 4th, 2024 at 9:17pm:
You really do not think it silly to expect a significantly bigger crowd to turn up than you could get in Australia for the countries premium sport ?

For some context:

The US played Canada in a soccer game there in front of 35,000 spectators ?

Metallica, Guns and Roses, Billy Joel, Rolling Stones - between 35,000 and 44,000

I think it is very silly to expect Americans to embrace NRL games being played as a once-a-year thing in Las Vegas. Who knows? Maybe I am being a bit too hasty. We should judge the merits of the crowd attendance by what happens next year.

Meanwhile, the lack of crowd enthusiasm, other than those actual rugby league fans that came over to watch the games, was noteworthy. Unless people were really that entertained by the games, I figure word of mouth will not get the locals to come out next year.

By the way, if Metallica, Guns and Roses, Billy Joel, and the Rolling Stones could only attract a crowd of 35,000, then they really have no considerable fan support anymore. They can fit 96,000 Swifties in a stadium that is designed to seat up to 100,000. But only 35,000 for a stadium designed to seat 65,000.

Did you know that they played this years superbowl there and didn't fill it ?

$40 K fans for a RL game is a teriffic result,

61,000 people at the Super Bowl is basically capacity seating. That is 20,000 more than attended a couple of NRL games. I am not saying that 41,000 people in Las Vegas watching a couple of NRL games is not a good result. But, "terrific" would not be it. I bet at least 10,000 attendees -- 14,000, according to the Sydney Morning Herald -- were from Australia. 20,000+ locals watched. Reports were that a significant proportion of the remainder of the crowd were from other international countries that favour rugby league.

Quote:
61,000 people at the Super Bowl is basically capacity seating.

61K at a 65K stadium is capacity. They had unsold tickets. Still pretty good.

Quote:
But, "terrific" would not be it. I bet at least 10,000 attendees -- 14,000, according to the Sydney Morning Herald -- were from Australia. 20,000+ locals watched. Reports were that a significant proportion of the remainder of the crowd were from other international countries that favour rugby league.

Is any of this relevant? 3 decades ago there would have been 25 people. 40K is great. As many as Guns and roses or the Stones.

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Crocodile Hunter: Origins

Rockhampton
Reply #31 - Mar 16th, 2024 at 4:53pm

Dnarever wrote on Mar 15th, 2024 at 3:32pm:
UnSubRocky wrote on Mar 15th, 2024 at 2:47pm:
philperth2010 wrote on Mar 14th, 2024 at 9:52pm:
UnSubRocky wrote on Mar 14th, 2024 at 8:02pm:
Jonathan Thurston commented recently that the 8-week suspension of Spencer Leniu should have been 12 weeks. It had people speculating that if the NRL judiciary had handed Leniu a 12-week suspension, would Thurston have called for a 16 week suspension, just to have his say and try to appear relevant.

Even 8 weeks seams a bit extreme....You get less for smacking some bloke in the chops???

Huh Huh Huh

I completely agree. I thought 2 weeks would be sufficient suspension. But, I knew that the NRL was going to try and send a message. How soft are players if they are easily that heckled at being called a monkey?

I would think 4 to 6 weeks would be the mark. 8 too much 2 too little.

I could probably understand 4 weeks. More than that would be too much. Racial insults have no place in the game. But I would rather have hurt feelings than a broken jaw from a punch.

At this stage...
IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Crocodile Hunter: Origins

Rockhampton
Reply #32 - Mar 16th, 2024 at 5:18pm

By the way, if Guns n Roses were playing a concert in a 65,000 seat stadium, they would have one-third of the seats being vacant behind the stage and all the seats that were left would be filled, as well as all of the field with fanatics. A 65,000 seat stadium would be 70,000 or maybe 80,000 fans attending.

Metallica played a concert where 1.6 million people were in the audience. Sure, it was Moscow and it was part of the end of the Cold War (and free tickets). But, these days, many of those ageing rockers cannot get a concert with 100,000 attendees. Taylor Swift came close in Melbourne. It is just a sign of the times that concerts are going the way of movies where the audience can watch at home with the atmosphere they get at the concerts.

What if the NRL games were played at Michigan Stadium? I reckon not more than 50,000 people would attend the game, with plenty of seats left empty. 20,000 empty seats at Las Vegas was enough to show me that the locals are only curious and mildly enthused about having a set of Australian rugby league games played in their country. Next year, I would guess that 30,000 people will show up to the Las Vegas NRL games. I would be happy to be proven wrong and see 40,000 or more locals willing to attend the games in the USA.

At this stage...
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print