Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 
Send Topic Print
abo kids zip tied in WA (Read 3768 times)
lee
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: abo kids zip tied in WA
Reply #135 - Sep 14th, 2024 at 1:40pm

SadKangaroo wrote on Sep 14th, 2024 at 1:11pm:
Or qualify to be murdered with zip ties around their necks?

Poor petal. Trying to attribute something I have never said nor endorsed. Grin Grin Grin Grin

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #136 - Sep 14th, 2024 at 1:44pm

Northern Territory courts a revolving door for evil men

Most of August’s criminal roll call in the Northern Territory Supreme Court contained scenes of such graphic violence they might have attracted a warning, were they not so depressingly mundane: adult Aboriginal men inflicting extreme violence on Aboriginal women.

Most of August’s criminal roll call, like the month before it and every month going back decades, also contained scenes of such graphic violence they might too have attracted a warning were they not so depressingly mundane: adult Aboriginal men inflicting extreme violence on Aboriginal women.

As the Northern Territory welcomes in a new government that has promised to get tough on crime, the focus is on urban Aboriginal youths – the gangs of crims breaking through shop windows, stealing cars and threatening with weapons.

The Country Liberals promise to lower the age of criminal responsibility from 12 to 10 to make kids answer for the over-size damage they cause, to reintroduce spithoods and to reinstate truancy officers to make sure Aboriginal kids attend school.

It raises questions about a more problematic cohort: Aboriginal men aged in their 20s, 30s and 40s, who were kids not so long ago, now being told by judges they are beyond repair as worthwhile members of society.

Perhaps new Chief Minister Lia Finocchiaro understands this, which is why she’s focused on youth crime. It’s a case of saving what you can. But the recidivist nature of adult Aboriginal offending and the extreme violence, usually fired by alcohol, creates each new generation of lost children.

These men bash and maim repeatedly. They have long records. Spells in prison are not correcting them. They have kids and those kids are charting the same course.

In the Territory courts, where there is a swinging door of repeat offenders, there is a sense that help cannot come soon enough but, even if it did, it would make no difference anyway. Chief Justice Grant said he needed to apply a value of deterrence when sentencing dog ­sadist Adam Britton to 10 years and five months in prison, with a non-parole period of six years. But it’s not as if the public needs to be reminded not to rape and kill dogs. As for telling Aboriginal men not to harm women and children, judges have been yelling into that void for decades.

John Nelson, 44, from Yuendumu, faced sentencing in August for striking a female relative in the head with a machete in Alice Springs in 2022, resulting in the woman’s skull being fractured.

Chief Justice Grant considered Nelson “a recidivist offender and a man of extremely poor character” whose prospects of rehabilitation were “practically non-existent”. Nelson went on to assault another female with a weapon while on bail for the machete attack.

Nelson’s history of criminality included six prior convictions of aggravated assaults on females, multiple convictions for assaulting police, deprivation of liberty, threatening behaviour, disorderly behaviour, unlawful entry, stealing and sexual intercourse with a child under 16.

In August, the Chief Justice also sentenced Lazarus Green, 25, another Aboriginal man whose prospects of rehabilitation the judge said “must be seen as marginal at best”.

Green’s partner was taken by ambulance to hospital with a fracture to her right forearm, a deep laceration to her head and multiple blunt force injuries to the back, arms and legs after suffering sustained and brutal beating with a heavy stick. The attack came on top of Green’s “appalling criminal history dating back 10 years” including multiple convictions for aggravated assaults on females, breaching domestic violence orders, unlawful entry, property damage and stealing.

Green’s parents both did repeated spells in prison when he was growing up in an itinerant lifestyle, moving about the communities and town camps of central Australia. He became a polysubstance abuser and welfare had trouble finding anyone who could take responsibility for him.  Green has never had a job.

Herron Nawirridj, aged 30, was out on bail for belting his partner with an “animal bone” in the top end community of Gunbalanya when he followed that up with a sustained pummelling to the same woman in October last year.

Both were intoxicated and arguing when Nawirridj followed her into Uncle Sam’s 24/7 takeaway in Darwin. She tried to stop him entering the store. He pulled off her shirt and dragged her by the hair outside. He choked her until she was unconscious and fell to the ground. He stomped on her head four times.

Dead or dead drunk father, dead or drunk or disconnected mother, barely educated, wandering childhoods, substance abusers since teenagers, disregard for bail, disregard for jail, capable of committing extreme violence on women and each becoming fathers themselves during short-lived times of freedom.

Nawirridj has a four-year-old daughter. Green has three very young children to two partners. Nelson has three daughters of varying ages from three partners. They are fathers by paternity, not deed.

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/nation/northern-territory-courts-a-revolving-do...

Estragon: I can’t go on like this.
Vladimir: That’s what you think.

IP Logged

SadKangaroo
Gold Member

#FightStupid

Mianjin (Brisbane)
Reply #137 - Sep 14th, 2024 at 1:52pm

lee wrote on Sep 14th, 2024 at 1:40pm:

Poor petal. Trying to attribute something I have never said nor endorsed. Grin Grin Grin Grin

Again, I wasn't talking about you sweetheart.  Not everything is about you.

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #138 - Sep 14th, 2024 at 1:53pm

Jon Tippett KC, the Northern Territory’s leading criminal barrister, says putting men on alcohol and family violence programs while they’re in prison is a waste of time because the alcoholic repeated wife-basher is in an unrealistic environment where he can neither drink nor bash women.

“It’s silly. You’re teaching them about something they have no access to,” Tippett says. “There’s no alcohol in prison. There’s no wife. An addict that goes in comes out an addict. Same with domestic violence. How do you deal with behavioural change with men that mostly cannot read or write, spend 23 hours in a cell and where everyone else is in for the same thing?

“You can’t teach him not to do it in jail. Men who beat Aboriginal women do not face disapproval within their own communities. They’re not stripped of their position on the local council for beating up their wife. They’re not made an example of. It’s not culturally part of a taboo.”
Tippett says it is time for brave people to try new things and to be stern. And to be prepared to fail, and to then try other things.

“It’s going to be a tough one,” he says. “Where there’s lack of parental control or parental interest, young people may have to be in prison. Ten-year-old kids may have to be put in an environment where they’re fed and schooled.

“It’s all very well for parents in Palmerston or out in communities to scream about their kids being taken away. But you, parents, are not sending them to school. You are not feeding them. You are not bathing them or clothing them. They have scabies. You are not engaging in their health care. They are below weight and their cognitive abilities have suffered because you are not looking after them.

“It’s a choice. Either you look after them, or somebody else will. We may do that reluctantly. But these children are entitled to an upbringing in a first-world country that gives them a crack at life. If you’re not going to do it, mum and dad, then we are.”

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/nation/northern-territory-courts-a-revolving-do...

Thank you, "Stolen Generation", you have condemned Aboriginal kids to lives that are ‘solitary, poor, nasty, brutish, and short’.

Estragon: I can’t go on like this.
Vladimir: That’s what you think.

IP Logged

lee
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #139 - Sep 14th, 2024 at 1:57pm

SadKangaroo wrote on Sep 14th, 2024 at 1:52pm:

And yet it was me to whom you responded. Your lies have more cracks than Labor. Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #140 - Sep 14th, 2024 at 2:23pm

lee wrote on Sep 14th, 2024 at 12:14pm:
Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on Sep 13th, 2024 at 11:35pm:
Yeah - but was it the same kids?  They look a little young.

So how old do they have to be to break windows?

Just a passing thought - some could do with it..... save a lot of trouble ...

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

philperth2010
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Perth
Reply #141 - Sep 14th, 2024 at 2:57pm

The fact the bloke live streamed the treatment of these children showing their distress and fear elevates the situation and exposes the children to further harm....Why would you live stream assaulting young children???

Huh Huh Huh

If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them.
Isaac Asimov (1920 - 1992)

IP Logged

SadKangaroo
Gold Member

#FightStupid

Mianjin (Brisbane)
Reply #142 - Sep 14th, 2024 at 2:58pm

lee wrote on Sep 14th, 2024 at 1:57pm:
SadKangaroo wrote on Sep 14th, 2024 at 1:52pm:

And yet it was me to whom you responded. Your lies have more cracks than Labor. Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

It was your comment I was referencing, but I didn't address you nor reply to you alone, I asked a question to those participating in the thread.

You're making a lot of incorrect assumptions today aren't you Lee.

Do better Smiley

IP Logged

SadKangaroo
Gold Member

#FightStupid

Mianjin (Brisbane)
Reply #143 - Sep 14th, 2024 at 2:59pm

philperth2010 wrote on Sep 14th, 2024 at 2:57pm:
The fact the bloke live streamed the treatment of these children showing their distress and fear elevates the situation and exposes the children to further harm....Why would you live stream assaulting young children???

Huh Huh Huh

That is the question isn't it?

(FYI, I'm not replying to you Lee, in case you're still a little confused)

IP Logged

lee
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #144 - Sep 14th, 2024 at 3:32pm

SadKangaroo wrote on Sep 14th, 2024 at 2:58pm:

Nope. You are just showing for the prat you are. Wink

IP Logged

lee
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #145 - Sep 14th, 2024 at 3:33pm

SadKangaroo wrote on Sep 14th, 2024 at 2:59pm:
(FYI, I'm not replying to you Lee, in case you're still a little confused)

I could see that, you referenced phil. You really are loopy. Wink

IP Logged

philperth2010
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Perth
Reply #146 - Sep 14th, 2024 at 3:57pm

SadKangaroo wrote on Sep 14th, 2024 at 2:59pm:
philperth2010 wrote on Sep 14th, 2024 at 2:57pm:

Huh Huh Huh

That is the question isn't it?

I question the motives of the bloke live streaming the trauma of young children....What was he trying to achieve...It has certainly backfired???

Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them.
Isaac Asimov (1920 - 1992)

IP Logged

SadKangaroo
Gold Member

#FightStupid

Mianjin (Brisbane)
Reply #147 - Sep 14th, 2024 at 4:21pm

lee wrote on Sep 14th, 2024 at 3:32pm:
SadKangaroo wrote on Sep 14th, 2024 at 2:58pm:

Nope. You are just showing for the prat you are. Wink

Now, now, there's no need for name-calling. I understand that lashing out might offer some relief when faced with a moment of humiliation, but I had thought you were above that.

You’re certainly not like Grap. I would expect such behaviour from him without hesitation. In fact, I've genuinely appreciated our ability to engage in calm and rational discourse in this sub-forum, it's been far too long since I've had that here, so thank you.

Let’s not discard that simply because you might be experiencing a bit of shame.

It's all right friend, we all stumble from time to time. Just pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and get back in the saddle. You've got this.

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #148 - Sep 14th, 2024 at 5:23pm

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2024/sep/13/matej-radelic-broome-deta...

Fri 13 Sep 2024 17.00 AEST

Broome man who detained three Aboriginal children with cable ties
told police he wanted ‘consequences’ for their trespassing

Matej Radelic – who has pleaded not guilty to three counts of assault –
claimed minors were ‘trashing’ his pool in recording tendered in court

Radelic said an older child threatened him with a large knife and rocks after the incident, and an officer who said the police were trying to control the situation remarked that Radelic had been “calm” and “chill as”.

The recording ends when the officers say they have to call “their boss” to determine what will happen to Radelic.

“I’m ready to take consequences from my end, if I done something wrong, let me know, but this is ridiculous,” he told the officers.

“The owner of the property, I got no friggin rights.”

A verdict is expected to be handed down in Radelic’s case next month.

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #149 - Sep 14th, 2024 at 5:31pm

wow - even if he gets off this will cost him a fortune in legal fees -
it's not fair.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 
Send Topic Print