Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
Centrelink Mum Rejected From 150 Rentals (Read 1720 times)
whiteknight
Gold Member

Australian Politics

melbourne
Centrelink Mum Rejected From 150 Rentals
Mar 7th, 2024 at 7:08am

Mum on Centrelink rejected from 150 rentals, as expert explains 'difficult' reality
Yahoo Finance
March 3 2024

A Gold Coast mum has been left devastated after being rejected from 150 rental properties, forcing her to uproot her life and move interstate with her kids.   Sad

Single mum of three Zoe Somers started looking for a new home after the rent on her Pimpama house increased by 30 per cent to $640 per week, making it hard for her to cover rent and rising living expenses.

Zoe, who separated from her husband last year, applied for 150 homes on the Gold Coast between March and December last year, only to be knocked back each time.

Single mum Zoe Somers struggling to find rental
The Gold Coast mum applied for rentals over a six-month period and was knocked back each time.

“Initially, I was sad every time I got knocked back,” Zoe told Yahoo Finance. “I cried a lot in the beginning. Then, in the end, I was more defeated.

“I almost felt like, ‘What is the point?’. But I knew I had to do it because, if I didn’t, I faced homelessness with my kids. I didn’t want them to live in a car or a tent.” 

I'm a renter on decent money but I still can't even get a crappy studio

Single mum surviving on toast, cereal and tea faced with 'impossible choice'

Backyard rentals charge ‘vulnerable’ Aussies $250 just to pitch tent

Zoe, whose youngest child is two years old, currently receives the Single Parenting Pension and Family Tax Benefit from Centrelink and previously worked as a housekeeper for seven years.

She said she applied for properties that were actually cheaper than the rent she had been paying and even got a guarantor to help increase her chances of securing a property.

“I have an excellent rental history. I’ve been renting my whole life and started renting when I was 16,” the 35-year-old said. “I have never lost any bond, I’ve never missed a rental payment in my life, [but] it just doesn’t matter.”

Zoe Somers and kids
Zoe has now moved back to Tasmania with her kids and is living with family.
Originally from Launceston, Zoe moved to the Gold Coast eight years ago in the hopes of giving her kids better access to education and health care, along with better job opportunities for herself and her then-partner.

But, after struggling to secure a rental for her family for eight months, Zoe made the difficult decision to move back to Tasmania in February.

“In the end, I just knew I wasn’t going to get a rental and I had to go,” she said.   

Zoe said moving ended up setting her back between $5,000 and $6,000. She and her kids are now living with her mother and step-father in Launceston while she tries to secure a rental. She is about to start a new job as a cleaner.

Rental market ‘getting harder’ for single mums
Jenny Davidson, CEO of Council of Single Mothers and Their Children, said it was getting harder for single mums to compete in an increasingly competitive rental market.

“The majority of single mothers are in the private rental system, so they are not in public housing and they’re often locked out of home ownership,” Davidson told Yahoo Finance.

“Even low-income single mothers are trying to compete in the rental market and it is definitely getting harder. It is difficult for any single-income applicant to compete against double-income applicants.”

Zoe Somers and daughter
Zoe is hoping to break the "stigma" surrounding single mums. (Source: Supplied)
Davidson said single mums relying on social security payments were “even more shut out of the housing market”.

“Essentially, the only way you can get a house in those circumstances is to find something that nobody else wants,” she said.

“They are substandard rentals and they often end up not being long-term tenancies. The quality of the house can be so bad [families] aren’t able to remain in it for very long and it can also have impacts on their health. There’s a lot of ramifications.”

To keep up with rising rents, Davidson said many single mums were sacrificing family holidays and extra-curriculars for their kids, with some mums forced to forgo essential medicines and skip meals to make ends meet.

Rental vacancies plummet
Anne Crarey, executive general manager of property services at Little Real Estate which has offices across the east coast, said this was the tightest rental market she had seen in her 25-year career in the industry.

“Prospective tenants face the most challenging conditions we’ve ever seen,” Crarey said. “To have rental vacancies below 1 per cent at all of our offices is unheard of.”

The national vacancy rate reached an all-time low of 0.7 per cent in February, according to Domain’s vacancy report. Despite this, the research found the number of prospective tenants per rental listing was easing, indicating falling competition between renters.

Davidson believes single mums make “great tenants” because they are often seeking stability and will prioritise paying rent to create a safe home for their child.

Zoe also hopes to break the “stigma” around single mums, particularly those who receive Centrelink benefits.

“Being a single mum, we’re all doing our best, we’re all trying to look after our kids and give them a safe place to live,” she

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Re: Centrelink Mum Rejected From 150 Rentals
Reply #1 - Mar 7th, 2024 at 7:10am

Blame Labor's mass immigration policies.

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #2 - Mar 7th, 2024 at 7:15am

https://xyz.net.au/2024/03/paradigm-shift-malcolm-roberts-flags-zero-net-migrati...

Australians are looking at mass homelessness due to mass immigration.

Homeless people generally have nothing left to lose.
We’re talking hundreds of thousands of Aussies radicalised very quickly.
It would be a disaster for the ruling parties.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #3 - Mar 7th, 2024 at 7:24am

Maybe she will have better luck in Bondi.

People who can't distinguish between etymology and entomology bug me in ways I cannot put into words.
IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #4 - Mar 7th, 2024 at 7:35am

Set up on the steps of Parliaments ....

Winter is coming... do all those overfat arseholes want to see kids living in thin tents with 4-5 people in winter?  Do these strutting politicians even begin to understand the very real extra health problems caused by living that way long term ... from the avoidable little things like picking up leprosy, ringworm and such from the earth to long term heart health?  Do they even begin to care while fattening nicely at the troughs?

Clearly they hold such places in the same contempt as the Polish people (and everywhere else there were such enforced 'ghettoes') held the ghetto in Warsaw shown in Schindler's List.... over-crowded, filthy, disease-ridden, verminous homing for useless and filthy people who live twelve to a room... look at them - filthy because forty of them share a single cold tap and a single toilet.... must besh
i
t people and that's why they belong there, was the view!

Look into your own inner heart of darkness - what do YOU see about your view of those living in Tent City?

Love, affection and a desire to get out there and DO something about it?  Even bring it to public attention as a crying issue for today?  Maybe call for a moratorium on MASS immigration until THIS country stabilises itself?  Maybe demand that the 'national prosperity' and 'productivity' be shared more equally... more  (gasps) equitably?

I see Labor are leaping at that with the same gay abandon they continue to leap through the hoops to perpetuate the lies about 'women's oppression' and 'wage gap' and other outright lies to suit the girls and hopefully retain some votes ... cowards all .. and now the LNP is following that same lead and crying about 'poor, poor women' - the most privileged social group in this country.... when they are of the right 'sort'.

I'm prepared to bet not.... I'll bet in your hearts of darkness you despise those who live in Tent City..... who live on the false hope of one day getting out of the ghetto and actually prospering, while simultaneously living in fear of being clubbed down and sent to the even worse gulag if they revolt, and who will line up to accept any work under any conditions just to put food on the table.

Frankly - many 'Australians' today sicken me with their greed is good ....
« Last Edit: Mar 7th, 2024 at 7:41am by Grappler Truth Teller Feller »  

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #5 - Mar 7th, 2024 at 7:46am

whiteknight wrote on Mar 7th, 2024 at 7:08am:
Davidson believes single mums make “great tenants” because they are often seeking stability and will prioritise paying rent to create a safe home for their child.

Some do, some don't.

I had one once tell me she was three weeks late with her rent because she had to buy her kid christmas presents. That year he got from her alone, a new bike and an xbox, plus lots of other small random poo in her efforts to outspend her ex husband

I had to remind her that the best present she could give her son was a roof over her head. Roll Eyes

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #6 - Mar 7th, 2024 at 7:48am

John Smith wrote on Mar 7th, 2024 at 7:46am:
whiteknight wrote on Mar 7th, 2024 at 7:08am:

Some do, some don't.

I had one once tell me she was three weeks late with her rent because she had to buy her kid christmas presents. That year he got from her alone, a new bike and an xbox, plus lots of other small random poo in her efforts to outspend her ex husband

I had to remind her that the best present she could give her son was a roof over her head. Roll Eyes

Agree

"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It's only painful and difficult for others. The same applies when you are stupid." ~ Ricky Gervais

IP Logged

AusGeoff
Gold Member

Sage of Gippsland

Victoria
Reply #7 - Mar 7th, 2024 at 8:08am

As a former landlord myself, I can tell you why I too would reject
this woman's rent application:

Single mother.
   Three young children.
   Currently unemployed.
   Sole income Centrelink benefit.
   Poor work history.

Current single parent pension = $998.00 per fortnight.
Child support 3 children = $454.02 per fortnight.

Total tax-free benefit = $1,452.02 per fortnight (or $20/hr.)

The national Minimum Wage is $23.23/hr. before tax.

[https://www.servicesaustralia.gov.au/]

So...  on what genuine basis is this woman complaining?
     She gets to sit on her arse all week, and earn the same as a
     local council worker slaving his guts out on a dusty roadway.

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #8 - Mar 7th, 2024 at 8:19am

AusGeoff wrote on Mar 7th, 2024 at 8:08am:

Single mother.
   Three young children.
   Currently unemployed.
   Poor work history.

So you'd accept the ditch digger who could be made redundant tomorrow over a guaranteed income every fortnight?

Interesting... this must be a class thing....  filthy ghetto dwelling scum reliant on food thrown over the ghetto wall or smuggled in or stolen .... figuratively speaking... criminals all ....

Treat people a certain way and they will become that thing in retaliation.... so now the demand is up for the creation of a new criminal underworld... a separate kingdom of vice and corruption with its own kings and queens and other Fagans and Artful Dodgers ..... no wonder things never get better in Charles Dickens' Australia...  A Homeless Carol....

The journey from swaggie shearer on P.T./Cas/Temp who was the salt of the earth refusing to live in the girtty, shirty city and seeking work at any opportunity to break his back.... was long and difficult and sometimes bloody..... but we nearly made it.... how quickly we forget the families living in bark huts in the Snowies in winter while the pater familias was away trying to earn a quid or two.... and sometimes that pater would never come back ....................... sometimes buried by the side of the road with a simnple wooder cross inscribed - "I told you I wasn't feeling good!"

Many these days are a disgrace to the human race......... imagine putting children - no matter their 'class' - out on the streets.... and I've seen the best and the worst of women and their offspring ....

BAH!  HUMBUG!  Support the tent dwelling orphans when I can scarcely feed myself???!!!  Get on with you................ I've a business to run ................

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

Laugh till you cry
Gold Member

In your happy place
Reply #9 - Mar 7th, 2024 at 10:52am

Australians lack ideas and their whiny UK genes cause them to lie back and take it.

It is time to bring in Chinese and other construction companies to bring in innovation and to turn the industry on its head.

Wheelbarrow drivers Bobby and JSin have led Australia into the wilderness of homelessness.

The whole industry and the corrupt council processes are totally decrepit.

The isolation and boredom of dumbf**k endless suburbia is destroying initiative and intellect.

Please don't thank me. Effusive fawning and obeisance of disciples, mendicants, and foot-kissers embarrass me.

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #10 - Mar 7th, 2024 at 11:40am

Single mother.
   Three young children.
   Currently unemployed.
   Poor work history.

Why isn't her ex-hubby paying some money too?
He put it in.

IP Logged

Bias_2012
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #11 - Mar 7th, 2024 at 12:02pm

Well she had a go, but now she's decided to go back to Tasmania - normal enough decision

We all have to make decisions, even big ones, in our lives

Our Lives Are Governed By The Feast & Famine Variable

IP Logged

aquascoot
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #12 - Mar 7th, 2024 at 12:24pm

hay white knight,

stop posting on oz pol and go build some houses so the price comes down

you could also campaign for a reduction in the minimum wage which would bring construction costs down

also over zealous safety requirements like all that scaffolding you campaign for add to costs

more fossil fuels to provide cheaper power for tradies building houses would help

so would cheaper timber

so whitey here is your "to do" list

get a  job as a builders laborer
dont ask for high wages
take personal responsibility for safety on site
dig up some coal
chop down some trees

are these , very common sense measures , in line with green party policy  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #13 - Mar 7th, 2024 at 12:57pm

Single mother.
   Three young children.
   Currently unemployed.
   Poor work history.

Tax-free?   Undecided

https://www.servicesaustralia.gov.au/taxable-centrelink-payments?context=22196

IP Logged

Belgarion
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #14 - Mar 7th, 2024 at 1:11pm

As a landlord myself until very recently I would check this womans story and her rental history before deciding to have her as a tenant or not. If what we read here is accurate I would have no problem with her.

"I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."

Voltaire.....(possibly)

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print