Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 10
Send Topic Print
Looking back on Mungo Man (Read 4065 times)
Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Looking back on Mungo Man
Mar 10th, 2024 at 3:39pm

Looking back on Mungo Man – human remains millennia older than the pyramids – 50 years on - his discovery changed everything we knew about Indigenous Australians - for the better.

Someone said we could not judge a person's Aboriginality on their skin colour.  Why isn't that applied in the matter of Pascoe?  Tsk, tsk, tsk...   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Re: Looking back on Mungo Man
Reply #1 - Mar 10th, 2024 at 3:56pm

/

(...its a stick)

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #2 - Mar 10th, 2024 at 3:56pm

Gee. Stating the obvious here.
Looking back.
Remains older than the 6,000 year old grave sites in Egypt.
Stone Tools have been found dating back to 2.5 million years ago.

Considering the date of Mungo Man would have had him being Denisovan Tasmanian Aborigine and not the current Carpentarian (sub-Curry Munchers) who invaded much later for more recent times.

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #3 - Mar 10th, 2024 at 4:00pm

Where's the proof he's even related to any Keffir?  Not allowed to scrape his bones to make your bread of DNA test.... that's desecration.... got it covered from all angles eh - especially those Angles from Olde Englande .... Wharte Men can't jump to valid conclusions that way and say Mungo had nuffin' to do with the local Abos...

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #4 - Mar 10th, 2024 at 4:45pm

Brian Ross wrote on Mar 10th, 2024 at 3:39pm:
Looking back on Mungo Man – human remains millennia older than the pyramids – 50 years on - his discovery changed everything we knew about Indigenous Australians - for the better.

"These people were highly sophisticated 40,000 years ago, nobody had ever thought of Indigenous Australia in those terms," he says.

"There's no ochre within well over 100 kilometres … that ochre had to be prepared in advance, brought in, traded maybe.

"Quite a detailed ritual involved in that exercise, bringing the stuff in and preparing it and anointing the body.

"It's the sort of thing that goes on in a requiem in any cathedral.

Cheesy Cheesy

So sophisticated, all those Aboriginal cathedrals!

Apparently, elephants bury their dedead calves. Are they as sophisticated as Aborigines and cathedral builders?

I find the Bbwianesque talking up of evidently primitive people laughable. The only interesting thing about Aborigines is how amazingly primitive and totally frozen in pre-history they were.
« Last Edit: Mar 10th, 2024 at 4:55pm by Frank »  

Estragon: I can’t go on like this.
Vladimir: That’s what you think.

IP Logged

chimera
Gold Member

Australian Politics

armidale
Reply #5 - Mar 10th, 2024 at 5:01pm

Jasin wrote on Mar 10th, 2024 at 3:56pm:
Considering the date of Mungo Man would have had him being Denisovan Tasmanian Aborigine and not the current Carpentarian (sub-Curry Munchers) who invaded much later for more recent times.

Good. You spell Mungo, Denisovan and Tasmanian the right way.
After that, it's a mess.

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #6 - Mar 10th, 2024 at 5:11pm

chimera wrote on Mar 10th, 2024 at 5:01pm:
Jasin wrote on Mar 10th, 2024 at 3:56pm:

Good. You spell Mungo, Denisovan and Tasmanian the right way.
After that, it's a mess.

You're like a guy LTYC, who can only put down my sense of fashion because you find it hard to put down my argument.
Grin

IP Logged

MeisterEckhart
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #7 - Mar 10th, 2024 at 5:25pm

Mungo Man must be understood in the context of all discovered ancient human peoples' remains, artefacts and art.

There is no necessary direct link between the ancient aboriginal peoples' remains discovered in any region and those peoples living there today.

Aboriginal cave artists in Lascaux were not French.

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #8 - Mar 10th, 2024 at 5:29pm

So really, they haven't been 'allowed' to prove the worth of Mungo Man, so how can they prove he was aborigine - like them?

IP Logged

chimera
Gold Member

Australian Politics

armidale
Reply #9 - Mar 10th, 2024 at 5:29pm

Jasin wrote on Mar 10th, 2024 at 5:11pm:
who can only put down my sense of fashion because you find it hard to put down my argument.

Darl, I love your cute fashions. Gorgeous. Did you have an argument, dearie?

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #10 - Mar 10th, 2024 at 5:30pm

chimera wrote on Mar 10th, 2024 at 5:29pm:
Jasin wrote on Mar 10th, 2024 at 5:11pm:
who can only put down my sense of fashion because you find it hard to put down my argument.

Darl, I love your cute fashions. Gorgeous. Did you have an argument, dearie?

Trying to be like Karnal-Chimp_Fisk now?
Roll Eyes

IP Logged

MeisterEckhart
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #11 - Mar 10th, 2024 at 5:38pm

Jasin wrote on Mar 10th, 2024 at 5:29pm:
So really, they haven't been 'allowed' to prove the worth of Mungo Man, so how can they prove he was aborigine - like them?

He was aboriginal in the sense of the word, but was he an ancestor of modern Australian indigenous peoples? Probably not.

It might be more probable that he was related to the ancient ancestors of the Andaman Islands peoples - closer in morphology to ancient African peoples and unrelated to ancient subcontinental peoples, and with no Denisovan ancestry.

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #12 - Mar 10th, 2024 at 5:48pm

As expected, the Racists think up excuses to denigrate Mungo Man, rather than celebrate his life for what it was - an Australian Indigenous person's.  My ex-brother-in-law was there, when Mungo Man was discovered.  His discovery turned the archeological record on it's head.  It showed the Indigenous Australians were here long before the arrival of White Man and that Australia was their land. Tsk, tsk, tsk...  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Someone said we could not judge a person's Aboriginality on their skin colour.  Why isn't that applied in the matter of Pascoe?  Tsk, tsk, tsk...   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
IP Logged

MeisterEckhart
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #13 - Mar 10th, 2024 at 5:50pm

Brian Ross wrote on Mar 10th, 2024 at 5:48pm:
As expected, the Racists think up excuses to denigrate Mungo Man, rather than celebrate his life for what it was - an Australian Indigenous person's.  My ex-brother-in-law was there, when Mungo Man was discovered.  His discovery turn the archeological record on it's head.  It showed the Indigenous Australians were here long before the arrival of White Man and that Australia was their land. Tsk, tsk, tsk...  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Is it racist to wonder about the origins of ancient peoples?

No one argues that Australian indigenous peoples existed in Australia long before Europeans.

IP Logged

chimera
Gold Member

Australian Politics

armidale
Reply #14 - Mar 10th, 2024 at 5:55pm

MeisterEckhart wrote on Mar 10th, 2024 at 5:38pm:
but was he an ancestor of modern Australian indigenous peoples? Probably not.

He was British to the boot straps. 'No sex please, we're British'.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 10
Send Topic Print