Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Extreme Fermentations (Read 1161 times)
Super Nova
Gold Member

Everywhere
Extreme Fermentations
Mar 28th, 2024 at 11:24pm

I am interested in stories about brewing your own.

I have never brewed beer however I once fermented wine.

I was in a country that is dry and some yanks had smuggled in some brewing yeast and showed me how to brew wine.

Man that was dangerous and fun. I learned a lot.

The process and recipe was really simple. Lots of grape juice and sugar and a pinch of the brewing yeast.

It bubbled away for a few weeks, they told me now is the time to stop the fermentation, I said "no" let it go until it is a strong as possible. It was powerful stuff. Tasted by shite but it did the job. Everyone loved it (well the effect) when mixed in what we called "desperatetas".

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Re: Extreme Fermentations
Reply #1 - Mar 29th, 2024 at 5:51am

Once - in about 1983  -  I brewed some beer from a kit I bought - I forgot where.
It didn't taste nice like beer you'd buy at the shop but
I handed it out at a party when all the other beer ran out and people liked it.
It was stronger than ordinary beer - I guess it was about 8% alcohol?

I know someone who brews beer and it tastes fantastic.
He's an expert on brewing.
However his beer is too strong - it's over 9% alcohol
caused by adding sugar when it's brewing.

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #2 - Mar 29th, 2024 at 5:56am

Monk is an expert on this topic but he's banned from posting here:

https://www.ozpolitic.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1702644867

IP Logged

Jasin

Reply #3 - Mar 29th, 2024 at 7:05am

Oh goodie. I have no idea on this subject, so this should be interesting. Are there 'samplers' available?

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

Jasin

Reply #4 - Mar 29th, 2024 at 7:22pm

Does an opened bottle of Rum, Whiskey, etc 'ferment' over time?

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

Super Nova
Gold Member

Everywhere
Reply #5 - Mar 29th, 2024 at 7:50pm

My understanding is fermentation stops when the food (sugar) is exhausted or concentration of alcohol exceeds the level that the yeast can live. So it doesn't continue to ferment.

IP Logged

Jasin

Reply #6 - Mar 29th, 2024 at 8:01pm

I see. I'm not really knowledgeable about this stuff. Does sound interesting though. Lead on Supernova & Bobby - you both sound expert in this.

IP Logged

Super Nova
Gold Member

Everywhere
Reply #7 - Mar 29th, 2024 at 8:52pm

Super Nova wrote on Mar 29th, 2024 at 7:50pm:
My understanding is fermentation stops when the food (sugar) is exhausted or concentration of alcohol exceeds the level that the yeast can live. So it doesn't continue to ferment.

Or you put something in that kills the yeast to stop fermentations. They have a powder to add if you want to stop it. (at least that is what I had but didn't use it as i wanted it to be as strong as possible.

IP Logged

Jasin

Reply #8 - Mar 29th, 2024 at 9:07pm

Well its obvious that Monk knows crap about Fermentations - hence why the Board 'choked' and went kaput, just like his business piss-poor effort. What an evil little man he is.

IP Logged

Super Nova
Gold Member

Everywhere
Reply #9 - Mar 29th, 2024 at 9:15pm

Jasin wrote on Mar 29th, 2024 at 9:07pm:
Well its obvious that Monk knows crap about Fermentations - hence why the Board 'choked' and went kaput, just like his business piss-poor effort. What an evil little man he is.

I don't think that is fair. He knows a lot about fermentation and brewing. (and drinking it)

However, knowing how to run a business or a board (forum) is a different matter. Smiley

IP Logged

Jasin

Reply #10 - Mar 29th, 2024 at 9:29pm

Well I'll have to disagree with you SN. I don't think Monk knows anything much at all, even Fermentations. He deleted the Board which shows that he knew nothing of it. Where's the proof?

IP Logged

Super Nova
Gold Member

Everywhere
Reply #11 - Mar 29th, 2024 at 9:42pm

Jasin wrote on Mar 29th, 2024 at 9:29pm:
Well I'll have to disagree with you SN. I don't think Monk knows anything much at all, even Fermentations. He deleted the Board which shows that he knew nothing of it. Where's the proof?

Could be. I have read hm talk a lot about his knowledge, since I know jack about it, I assumed he knew all about it.

I guess we have to either take his word about it all (which has been proven to be worth SFA) or believe he is just using this as one of his big noting sagas.

IP Logged

Jasin

Reply #12 - Mar 29th, 2024 at 9:49pm

Big noting sagas.
I'll drink to that!  Wink

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #13 - Mar 29th, 2024 at 9:58pm

Super Nova wrote on Mar 29th, 2024 at 9:42pm:
Jasin wrote on Mar 29th, 2024 at 9:29pm:

Could be. I have read hm talk a lot about his knowledge, since I know jack about it, I assumed he knew all about it.

I guess we have to either take his word about it all (which has been proven to be worth SFA) or believe he is just using this as one of his big noting sagas.

I saw his brewing website -
he had a lot of different kits available - it was impressive.
I'm surprised he didn't become a millionaire out of it.

He must have really stuffed up?

( got high on his own supply?  )

IP Logged

Super Nova
Gold Member

Everywhere
Reply #14 - Mar 29th, 2024 at 11:02pm

I do think he knows the brewing topic as well as any amateur enthusiast. That is who he was selling to.

You don't make millions reselling someone else's product to a hobby industry from 1 little local website and one shop. (unless it is a drug front)

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print