Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Chips! (Read 707 times)
Jovial Monk
Gold Member

Dogs not cats!

Chips!
Apr 2nd, 2024 at 8:02pm

Chips are very nice to eat—IF they are cooked properly. Alas, hardly any fast food joint knows how to cook chips.

In the Adelaide Hills, near the Army barracks, is the township of Woodside. In 1957 Mum bought wool etc from a shop in Woodside—we were living in the Slough of Despond known to some as Woodside Immigration Camp. To some others it was known as Hell. I remember our first “breakfast” 4 grey sausages standing in a teacup.

Not surprisingly—Mum was sick after that “lovely” first “breakfast.”

Fast forward 70+ years, the “immigration” camp was a military place again.But in the township of Woodside there is a cafe called “Providore.”

Oh gosh they made fucking delicious chips, with some aioli on the side. Such a simple dish but oh so gobsmackingly delicious!

Close to the Providore was a handcraft shop. Seeing it was open this one time I went in there with Mum. I told the astonished shop owner that Mum made some of her first ever purchases ever in Australia in that shop! Yup, Mum made a lot of our clothes from material bought from that shop.

The Sunday before Mum died I drove her to that Providore in Woodside, She ate a slice of lemon curd tart (must have been outside lunch hours) and a cup of coffee and enjoyed the ride home through the Adelaide Hills.\\

I had noticed with dismay that her dementia seemed to be galloping since the middle of 2021 but she was fine that Sunday. Next day her “buddy” took her away for some hours and she was fine on her return. Tuesday I took her  for a small drive deliberately going past the house where we lived in the late 1950s before Mum and Dad bought the house she lived in for the rest of her life. Again, she was fine. Early next Saturday morning she died.

I am so sorry that Providore in Woodside did not have chips available—that would have been a fitting “last lunch” for her.

Crisp, hot chips are really bloody nice—and very very rare!
« Last Edit: Apr 3rd, 2024 at 7:48am by Jovial Monk »  

Get the vaxx! 💉💉

If you don’t like abortions ignore them like you do school shootings.

IP Logged

Setanta
Gold Member

\/ Peace man!

Northern NSW
Re: Chips!
Reply #1 - Apr 2nd, 2024 at 8:09pm

Jovial Monk wrote on Apr 2nd, 2024 at 8:02pm:
Chips are very nice to eat—IF they arem cooked properly. Alas, hardly any fast food joint knows how to cook chips.

In the Adelaide Hills, near the Army barracks, is the township of Woodside. In 1957 Mum bought wool etc from a shop in Woodside—we were living in the Slough of Despond known to some as Woodside Immigration Camp. To some others it was known as Hell. I remember our first “breakfast” 4 grey sausages standing in a teacup.

Not surprisingly—Mum was sick after that “lovely” first “breakfast.”

Fast forward 70+ years, the “immigration” camp was a military place again.But in the township of Woodside there was a cafe called “Providore.”

Oh gosh they made fucking delicious chips, with some aioli on the side. Such a simple dish but oh so gobsmackingly delicious!

Close to the Providore was a handcraft shop. Seeing it was open this one time I went in there with Mum. I told the astonished shop owner that Mum made some of her first ever purchases ever in Australia in that shop! Yup, Mum made a lot of our clothes from material bought from that shop.

The Sunday before Mum died I drove her to that Providore in Woodside, She ate a slice of lemon curd tart (must have been outside lunch hours) and a cup of coffee and enjoyed the ride home through the Adelaide Hills.\\

I had noticed with dismay that her dementia seemed to be galloping since the middle of 2021 but she was fine that Sunday. Next day her “buddy” took her away for some hours and she was fine on her return. Tuesday I took her  for a small drive deliberately going past the house we spent a year or so living in late 1950s before Mum and Dad bought the house she lived in for the rest of her life. Again, she was fine. Early next Saturday morning she died.

I am so sorry that Providore in Woodside did not have chips available—that would have been a fitting “last lunch” for her.

Crisp, hot chips are really bloody nice—and very very rare!

Took her there for a mercy killing? Glad you enjoyed the chips.

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #2 - Apr 2nd, 2024 at 8:15pm

There is no 'secret potion' to cooking chips.

Cleaner the oil, the better the cook.
Simple.
You want that burnt, fatty, oily chip look - go to a shop that hasn't changed the vat oil for 5 plus days.

Also, the 'potato' quality.
Currently the best quality of potato coming in is from Belgium. Jervis Bay orders Belgium 'Chips' in and they are doing well.

...but again. The 'cleaner' (1 day old) the oil, the 'better' the chip.

All else is really just sales gimmicks. You know, making it sound all complex to appear more sophisticated - when its really as simple as the chip itself is.  Roll Eyes

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

Jovial Monk
Gold Member

Dogs not cats!

Reply #3 - Apr 2nd, 2024 at 8:22pm

Wow, two scumbags eager to show why OzPol is sinking beyond redemption.

To nobody’s surprise, one of the scumbags is what is laughingly referred to as a “GMod.” In ordinary terms Set is a dead set cunt.

Get the vaxx! 💉💉

IP Logged

Setanta
Gold Member

\/ Peace man!

Northern NSW
Reply #4 - Apr 2nd, 2024 at 8:24pm

Jovial Monk wrote on Apr 2nd, 2024 at 8:22pm:

Two reasons you should FO then eh?

IP Logged

Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Reply #5 - Apr 2nd, 2024 at 8:34pm

Chips are good your mum would have liked them but it sounds like a great day anyway.

A good memory, many people don't get to have one of those.

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #6 - Apr 2nd, 2024 at 8:35pm

Sad, but nice story Monk.

Gotta love mums and chips   Smiley

IP Logged

Jovial Monk
Gold Member

Dogs not cats!

Reply #7 - Apr 2nd, 2024 at 8:36pm

Dnarever wrote on Apr 2nd, 2024 at 8:34pm:
Chips are good your mum would have liked them but it sounds like a great day anyway.

Yeah, can’t remember why we didn’t order chips—wrong time I guess. And, yup, a lovely day, the last one I had with her.

Get the vaxx! 💉💉

IP Logged

Jovial Monk
Gold Member

Dogs not cats!

Reply #8 - Apr 2nd, 2024 at 8:38pm

greggerypeccary wrote on Apr 2nd, 2024 at 8:35pm:

Yup.

With winter getting closer going to try making chips in my air fryer. Hope to get to the stage I can make lovely crisp chips.

Get the vaxx! 💉💉

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #9 - Apr 2nd, 2024 at 9:54pm

Jovial Monk wrote on Apr 2nd, 2024 at 8:22pm:

To nobody’s surprise, one of the scumbags is what is laughingly referred to as a “GMod.” In ordinary terms Set is a dead set cunt.

I think you should f_uck off back to your Troll Cave if this place and members don't agree with you.
You obviously don't like the chips here - so f_uck off loser.

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #10 - Apr 2nd, 2024 at 9:57pm

Jovial Monk wrote on Apr 2nd, 2024 at 8:38pm:

Yup.

With winter getting closer going to try making chips in my air fryer.

I haven't tried that yet.

Might give it a go this week.

IP Logged

Jovial Monk
Gold Member

Dogs not cats!

Reply #11 - Apr 2nd, 2024 at 10:13pm

The drive to Woodside and a lunch of chips and aioli was something we did every few months. Sadly, after the covid shut down the chips were never as good as before {sigh}

Get the vaxx! 💉💉

IP Logged

Jovial Monk
Gold Member

Dogs not cats!

Reply #12 - Apr 2nd, 2024 at 10:18pm

Hope to master the art of making decent chips in the next few weeks.

Want to make Thai fish cakes—need to sort my spices/curry pastes. I have not been able to source Chinese pickled garlic. Oh well. Need to halve the recipe somehow.

Get the vaxx! 💉💉

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #13 - Apr 2nd, 2024 at 10:20pm

Does an air fryer use any olive oil when you cook chips?

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #14 - Apr 2nd, 2024 at 10:24pm

Bobby. wrote on Apr 2nd, 2024 at 10:20pm:
Does an air fryer use any olive oil when you cook chips?

You spray it on:

https://thefoodiephysician.com/best-oils-for-the-air-fryer/

Air frying is all the rage now and for good reason! Not only is air frying a quick and easy way to cook food, it's also a healthy cooking technique that uses minimal oil.

My air fryer has become one of my most used kitchen appliances because it's just so convenient. It heats up and cooks food really quickly and requires minimal clean up.

I make everything from quesadillas to chicken legs to salmon teriyaki in my air fryer. It's even great for heating up leftovers like pizza or grilled cheese. Check out my Air Fryer recipe collection.

But did you know that there are certain types of oil that are better to use than others when it comes to air frying? The type of oil you use depends on a few factors including: what food you're cooking, what temperature you're cooking at, and the smoke point of the oil.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print