Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 12
Send Topic Print
New theory on God could spark new religion (Read 6443 times)
mothra
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: New theory on God could spark new religion
Reply #45 - Apr 6th, 2024 at 10:24pm

Super Nova wrote on Apr 6th, 2024 at 10:09pm:
mothra wrote on Apr 6th, 2024 at 9:15pm:
Super Nova wrote on Apr 6th, 2024 at 9:09pm:
The key word here is "theory".

A good theory is only useful if it predicts in advance something that can be observed in the universe or by experiment. Any theory that is not testable is not useful, E.g String Theory great advancements in maths but has not led to a definition of the universe that says anything different to established theories plus they just work to model to align with what is observed but has not made a prediction that is testable that is not in the current models.

So if this theory of God is to be a real theory, I would ask what does it predict that is testable that is new.

God would be amused that we still keep trying to use her to explain what we cannot explain or to fill a hole in our hearts, minds or spirit. She would say 42.

Respect for the scientific process is a different thing from scientism, which maintains that science is the only way to establish truth. Logical positivism is pretty much on the nose these days.

Not really, my view is not scientism. I too hold views that are not supported by a scientific analysis and I will go with old wife's tales or even anecdotal evidence in my day to day life. However if someone expresses a theory, then scientific process should be applied. At least religion states it is all about faith without evidence. Is this a faith or a theory. if theory it will be subjected to the same scrutiny as any theory, otherwise I think they are taking the piss like flat earthers.

And scientific processes have been applied to this theory. Did you not read the article?May i suggest a look at Goff's wikipedia page for further clues as to the wider analysis of his theory:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philip_Goff_(philosopher)

But what you are describing above, despite your protestations, is logical posivitism; that a theory can only be rescued from being relegated to ridiculous if scientific methods verify it.

Now, ask yourself, how can we possible verify the substance of the universe when we know so little about it?

If you can't be a good example, you have to be a horrible warning.

IP Logged

mothra
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #46 - Apr 6th, 2024 at 10:26pm

In any event, nowhere has Goff claimed this is a truism. He merely postulates it in lieu of adequate explanation for everything from wither science or main stream religion.

IP Logged

Polyphemus

Australian Politics

Reply #47 - Apr 6th, 2024 at 10:53pm

Pansychism isn't anything new. It has been rattling around since the ancient Greeks.

"In the philosophy of mind, panpsychism (/pænˈsaɪkɪzəm/) is the view that the mind or a mind-like aspect is a fundamental and ubiquitous feature of reality.[1] It is also described as a theory that "the mind is a fundamental feature of the world which exists throughout the universe".[2] It is one of the oldest philosophical theories, and has been ascribed to philosophers including Thales, Plato, Spinoza, Leibniz, William James,[3] Alfred North Whitehead, Bertrand Russell, and Galen Strawson.[1] In the 19th century, panpsychism was the default philosophy of mind in Western thought, but it saw a decline in the mid-20th century with the rise of logical positivism.[3][4] Recent interest in the hard problem of consciousness and developments in the fields of neuroscience, psychology, and quantum physics have revived interest in panpsychism in the 21st century.[4][5][6]"

-Wikepedia

Mothra, are you equating science with logical positivism? Logical positivism as far as I am aware was just one philosophical take on how science proceeds or rather should proceed.

That we don't know much about the universe is supposed to how exactly support pansychism specifically?

It's coming back into vogue for some because we can't seem to understand how consciousness can arise from inanimate matter.

So, Goff comes along and says, hey, matter is conscious. Atoms, molecules, quarks have some kind of proto-consciousness. But pansychism has its own problems, the fundamental being that "combination problem". How do these rudimentary particles of protoconscious combine to form conscious entities?

Pansychists can't really answer that. Heh, it's just another "ism".

IP Logged

mothra
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #48 - Apr 6th, 2024 at 11:01pm

Polyphemus wrote on Apr 6th, 2024 at 10:53pm:
Mothra, are you equating science with logical positivism? Logical positivism as far as I am aware was just one philosophical take on how science proceeds or rather should proceed.

Obviously not. I am correctly attributing the relegation to the absurd of that which cannot be scientifically verified. The verification principle ... as described by Super Nova and his equating the unverified to those of flat earth principles.

IP Logged

it_is_the_light
Gold Member

Christ Light

The Pyramid of LIGHT
Reply #49 - Apr 6th, 2024 at 11:03pm

This shonky one is surely

destined for the pit

ॐ May Much LOVE and CHRISTS LIGHT be upon and within us all.... namasté ▲ - : )  ╰დ╮ॐ╭დ╯
it_is_the_light it_is_the_light Christ+Light Christ+Light  
IP Logged

it_is_the_light
Gold Member

Christ Light

The Pyramid of LIGHT
Reply #50 - Apr 6th, 2024 at 11:06pm

mothra wrote on Apr 6th, 2024 at 11:01pm:

Obviously not. I am correctly attributing the relegation to the absurd of that which cannot be scientifically verified. The verification principle ... as described by Super Nova and his equating the unverified to those of flat earth principles.

Already happened and many have no clue ,

keep wasting your time .. or get serious 🤷‍♂️

How many platonic solids are there Mothra ?

ॐ May Much LOVE and CHRISTS LIGHT be upon and within us all.... namasté ▲ - : )  ╰დ╮ॐ╭დ╯
it_is_the_light it_is_the_light Christ+Light Christ+Light  
IP Logged

Polyphemus

Australian Politics

Reply #51 - Apr 6th, 2024 at 11:15pm

I didn't see him doing that. He looked to me as if he were supporting  Popper's view of science.

What do you understand by "scientifically verified" and do you distinguish it or not from the "verification principle" of the logical positivists?

What do you understand by the "scientific process" and why do you think its inadequate to determining the truths of the universe? What other ways have you got in mind?

IP Logged

mothra
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #52 - Apr 6th, 2024 at 11:22pm

Polyphemus wrote on Apr 6th, 2024 at 11:15pm:

I didn't see him doing that. He looked to me as if he were supporting  Popper's view of science.

What do you understand by "scientifically verified" and do you distinguish it or not from the "verification principle" of the logical positivists?

What do you understand by the "scientific process" and why do you think its inadequate to determining the truths of the universe? What other ways have you got in mind?

Would you like to ask me any more questions? Would you like more time to further your list?

Scientifically verified generally means reproducible, no? Thus far we have verified absolutely zilch about the wider universe ... it's almost all theory.

And the scientific process is, in it's absolute essence, a further exploration into a subject or subject matter. It's asking questions, and setting about trying to answer them. There are those that foolishly think if something is unverified, it cannot be true. I strongly disagree. You?

IP Logged

Polyphemus

Australian Politics

Reply #53 - Apr 6th, 2024 at 11:49pm

mothra wrote on Apr 6th, 2024 at 11:22pm:

Would you like to ask me any more questions? Would you like more time to further your list?

Scientifically verified generally means reproducible, no? Thus far we have verified absolutely zilch about the wider universe ... it's almost all theory.

And the scientific process is, in it's absolute essence, a further exploration into a subject or subject matter. It's asking questions, and setting about trying to answer them. There are those that foolishly think if something is unverified, it cannot be true. I strongly disagree. You?

No, I don't think it reduces merely reproducibility, although that's a part of it. There's also testing a theory. For example, Eddington testing Einstein's prediction concerning light bending near massive bodies like the sun.

There's also seeing how it meshes with other accepted theories of the world. I mean Einstein's General Relativity doesn't mesh with Quantum Mechanics. The first is the best we've got on the world at large and the second is the best on what we got at the subatomic level. Scientists already know we haven't got a complete and integrated picture of the universe and it's a work-in-progress.

In any case, what passes tests today might fail tomorrow.

So, I'd go further than you and say that what is scientifically verified and passes our tests is no guarantee that we have the truth of how the universe is.

However, this gets me back to asking you what other ways do you have in mind that may be better than science in unraveling the mysteries of the universe.

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #54 - Apr 6th, 2024 at 11:51pm

I'm not sure if this clip will relate directly, but I think it can at least add to this Topic as a consideration... considering.
April Fools Astronomy (Anton Petrov).
Very interesting how things like 'Theories' can materialise and some of these are almost 'fluke' in their offering, especially the Black Holes influencing the motion of galaxies (like towards the Great Attractor). I think the Astronomy Astrology table is a worthy entertainment (Don't let Light see it! He'll definitely believe its real).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4t1MWwT_0BQ

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #55 - Apr 6th, 2024 at 11:53pm

Polyphemus wrote on Apr 6th, 2024 at 11:49pm:

No, I don't think it reduces merely reproducibility, although that's a part of it. There's also testing a theory. For example, Eddington testing Einstein's prediction concerning light bending near massive bodies like the sun.

There's also seeing how it meshes with other accepted theories of the world. I mean Einstein's General Relativity doesn't mesh with Quantum Mechanics. The first is the best we've got on the world at large and the second is the best on what we got at the subatomic level. Scientists already know we haven't got a complete and integrated picture of the universe and it's a work-in-progress.

So, I'd go further than you and say that what is scientifically verified and passes our tests is no guarantee that we have the truth of how the universe is.

However, this gets me back to asking you what other ways do you have in mind that may be better than science in unraveling the mysteries of the universe.

There you go Mothra. A good question to challenge you there.

*gets popcorn

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

mothra
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #56 - Apr 7th, 2024 at 12:07am

Polyphemus wrote on Apr 6th, 2024 at 11:49pm:

Any scientist worth their salt would not claim that even a proven theory is immutable. This is one of the most important advantages science has over religion; the adaptivity to accommodate new information when it becomes available.

Religion and proponents of scientism would point to this as a weakness of course. I see it very much as a strength.

But you are splitting hairs ... there is no point to testing a theory if one does not want to find answers that add to the body of work. It is poor science that does it in isolation. And reproduction is the most accepted way in which to accomplish this. It "proves" a theory .. although one must accept that what we understand leads to deeper questions that require further analysis. Again, science wins out of religion on this.

Yet science has provided us with no definitive proof regarding the universe or consciousness. A magnitude more questions are asked than answered. Yet many, atheists spring to mind, play science like a trump card to dismiss religion. Religion plays the ineffable to counter.

I find this mid path interesting.

I do not claim to be a proponent, just that i respect the ownership of ambiguity of it.

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #57 - Apr 7th, 2024 at 12:20am

Well after that post by Mothra.
I can only say that Aussie, Monk, Lisa, Peccary, Smith, LTYC and the other Lefties - need to bow down to their true intellectual leader: Mother Mothra.

I'm impressed.  Wink

IP Logged

Polyphemus

Australian Politics

Reply #58 - Apr 7th, 2024 at 12:39am

As I said earlier, panpsychism is nothing new. It gets a wardrobe adjustment from to to time.

You, and any of us, might also find comfort in or an appreciation for Dualism, Idealism, Monads, the Simulation  theory or Physicalism etc.

They ALL have their pitfalls. Panpsychism bleeds on the combination problem.

But it seems to me that the best tool we have for finding out about the universe or deciding what true about it is the scientific method. It wasn't Panpsychism that gave us enough understanding of the universe for the computers we're using to have this conversation.

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #59 - Apr 7th, 2024 at 12:44am

Idealism is like a head on a stick (or a brain in a jar).
It detaches itself from the physical (body) realm in its intellectual arrogance.
Idealism has been decapitated long ago.
Like decisions made detached from emotion (non-human).

Sorry, got distracted there.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 12
Send Topic Print