Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Send Topic Print
Some alterations to my house (Read 2057 times)
Jovial Monk

Dogs not cats!

Re: Some alterations to my house
Reply #15 - May 20th, 2024 at 10:44am

“cooler temps” go down to nearly -10°C here.

The idea of a plastic pot inside the terracotta one is a good idea, thanks Sprint.

Get the vaxx! 💉💉

If you don’t like abortions ignore them like you do school shootings.

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #16 - May 20th, 2024 at 2:48pm

Jovial Monk wrote on May 20th, 2024 at 10:44am:
“cooler temps” go down to nearly -10°C here.

The idea of a plastic pot inside the terracotta one is a good idea, thanks Sprint.

Oh. That'ld cause problems for a few things I'ld guess.
Then, you get the stone fruit and berries

Modern Classic Right Wing

IP Logged

Jovial Monk

Dogs not cats!

Reply #17 - May 20th, 2024 at 5:58pm

When all the work is finished. . .and paid for. . .would like to get a pizza oven big enough to make bread. There is some space between two sheds be a good entertainment area: smoker, pizza oven outside, tap very handy to the area and the detached rumpus room for indoor space. Wider pergola with shadecloth and plant star jasmine to grow up pergola posts.

Get the vaxx! 💉💉

IP Logged

Jovial Monk

Dogs not cats!

Reply #18 - May 22nd, 2024 at 1:05pm

Guy had removed the cornices from the walls in the lounge. Suddenly the lounge felt like the ceiling was much higher—paint under the cornice was a yellow not the horrid dark color the rest of the lounge walls were painted in, because “modern.”

As to the kitchen, I had a relevation!

We were going to put my work bench along the back wall, where we had removed the chimney. Problem was that it was small.

Yesterday afternoon looking at the kitchen—shift the sink from the left wall, under the big window to that back wall, the work bench then goes where the sink was—more space and closer to the cooktop and oven to boot.

Ahhh, yes—oven. I would LOVE to have the oven and grill at eye level if at all possible, even to spending another $1000 or so. Not only am I pushing (hard, LOL!) at 77 I have one non-working ear and low blood pressure—bending gets a bit, hmmm, complicated. Maybe move the cooktop./oven/grill to the backwall and move the sink to where the oven is now—lots plumbing, rerouting heavy electrical cables but worth it for me.

Might get a gas cooktop—induction plates/cooktops can’t simmer stuff well.

Get the vaxx! 💉💉

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #19 - May 22nd, 2024 at 4:06pm

Jovial Monk wrote on May 22nd, 2024 at 1:05pm:
Guy had removed the cornices from the walls in the lounge. Suddenly the lounge felt like the ceiling was much higher—paint under the cornice was a yellow not the horrid dark color the rest of the lounge walls were painted in, because “modern.”

As to the kitchen, I had a relevation!

We were going to put my work bench along the back wall, where we had removed the chimney. Problem was that it was small.

Yesterday afternoon looking at the kitchen—shift the sink from the left wall, under the big window to that back wall, the work bench then goes where the sink was—more space and closer to the cooktop and oven to boot.

Ahhh, yes—oven. I would LOVE to have the oven and grill at eye level if at all possible, even to spending another $1000 or so. Not only am I pushing (hard, LOL!) at 77 I have one non-working ear and low blood pressure—bending gets a bit, hmmm, complicated. Maybe move the cooktop./oven/grill to the backwall and move the sink to where the oven is now—lots plumbing, rerouting heavy electrical cables but worth it for me.

Might get a gas cooktop—induction plates/cooktops can’t simmer stuff well.

Good going. A different colour can make a huge difference to a room

We are looking into a refurbed or new kitchen, ours is very small but works well.
I think the same about an induction cooktop. They do not simmer at all. The heating is in pulses.
I am not sold on induction cooktops, they may not sense our copper sandwiched pots.
Our stove is the old style, stand alone with solid plates, they simmer perfectly well.

IP Logged

Jovial Monk

Dogs not cats!

Reply #20 - May 22nd, 2024 at 4:38pm

Mum bought some pans, from memory in the mid 1990s, that had a nice solid disk of copper fused into the base. They don’t work on the induction plate. Solid steel ScanPan pans work on the induction plate. My pressure scanner apparently shouldn’t be used on induction plate/cooktop.

Good thing is: I can have gas but ALSO use the induction plate—it does heat very quickly!

Big workbench have an area for coffee/breakfast: toaster, breadbin, coffee machine, electric jug—I am not too proud/purist to have instant coffee first thing in the morning.
« Last Edit: May 22nd, 2024 at 4:44pm by Jovial Monk »  

Get the vaxx! 💉💉

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #21 - May 22nd, 2024 at 10:04pm

Jovial Monk wrote on May 22nd, 2024 at 4:38pm:
Mum bought some pans, from memory in the mid 1990s, that had a nice solid disk of copper fused into the base. They don’t work on the induction plate. Solid steel ScanPan pans work on the induction plate. My pressure scanner apparently shouldn’t be used on induction plate/cooktop.

Good thing is: I can have gas but ALSO use the induction plate—it does heat very quickly!

Big workbench have an area for coffee/breakfast: toaster, breadbin, coffee machine, electric jug—I am not too proud/purist to have instant coffee first thing in the morning.

Right, thanks, that was exactly my concern.
Some of my pots have a layer of copper in the bottom, sandwiched in between the stainless steel.
Has better thermal conduction and thermal uniformity, but some fail the 'magnet' test, so they may not work on an induction stovetop
Sad

IP Logged

Jovial Monk

Dogs not cats!

Reply #22 - May 23rd, 2024 at 8:57am

They won’t, I guarantee that. Induction does NOT do simmer—it just switches on and off.

But buy an indiction plate and a pan or two for it, use the very quick efficient heating when/where you can.

Another trap with induction heaters: areas outside the magnet do not heat up. Induction cookers heat the bottom of a pan, there is no heat BELOW the pan so anything outside the range of the magnet does not heat up much at all.

So when I cooked chicken schnitzels on the induction plate I ended up cutting off not fully cooked bits and giving them to the dog!

Get the vaxx! 💉💉

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #23 - May 25th, 2024 at 10:14am

Jovial Monk wrote on May 23rd, 2024 at 8:57am:
They won’t, I guarantee that. Induction does NOT do simmer—it just switches on and off.

But buy an indiction plate and a pan or two for it, use the very quick efficient heating when/where you can.

Another trap with induction heaters: areas outside the magnet do not heat up. Induction cookers heat the bottom of a pan, there is no heat BELOW the pan so anything outside the range of the magnet does not heat up much at all.

So when I cooked chicken schnitzels on the induction plate I ended up cutting off not fully cooked bits and giving them to the dog!

Drat, I just rechecked our pots and pans with a stronger magnet.
None of the pots will work, they have a good copper base inside the stainless. I believe good stainless is 'less' magnetic.
Our pans will work.

That's thrown a bit of a spanner in the works.

IP Logged

Jovial Monk

Dogs not cats!

Reply #24 - May 25th, 2024 at 12:16pm

I might get a gas cooktop. Need bottled gas. Have the induction plate

Talked to the guy yesterday, I can have eye level oven & grill. Excellent! Too many problems to bending down and straightening up—joints, lack of balance as one ear hardly works and low blood pressure—the world can whirl around me after bending and straightening up quickly.

I do have a little gas cooker (Bunnings) and the induction plate so can keep going if there is a delay in exchanging gas cylinders.

Get the vaxx! 💉💉

IP Logged

Jovial Monk

Dogs not cats!

Reply #25 - May 25th, 2024 at 12:27pm

This is the cornice now up in the public areas (except the front passage which is next:)

https://media.siniat.com/pd36971/preview/-1051202627/wave_look_cmyk

Nice texture that works at the scale of my house, isn’t something meant for a mansion. Beats the pathetic wooden “cornices” that were in place. I have 9' ceilings which is nice.

Get the vaxx! 💉💉

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #26 - May 25th, 2024 at 2:00pm

Jovial Monk wrote on May 25th, 2024 at 12:27pm:
This is the cornice now up in the public areas (except the front passage which is next:)

https://media.siniat.com/pd36971/preview/-1051202627/wave_look_cmyk

Nice texture that works at the scale of my house, isn’t something meant for a mansion. Beats the pathetic wooden “cornices” that were in place. I have 9' ceilings which is nice.

Very clean looking

IP Logged

Laugh till you cry
Gold Member

In your happy place
Reply #27 - May 25th, 2024 at 2:19pm

Jovial Monk wrote on May 25th, 2024 at 12:16pm:
I might get a gas cooktop. Need bottled gas. Have the induction plate

Talked to the guy yesterday, I can have eye level oven & grill. Excellent! Too many problems to bending down and straightening up—joints, lack of balance as one ear hardly works and low blood pressure—the world can whirl around me after bending and straightening up quickly.

I do have a little gas cooker (Bunnings) and the induction plate so can keep going if there is a delay in exchanging gas cylinders.

You are obviously disregarding the toxic hazards of cooking with gas.

"New studies have also linked gas stoves to increased rates of childhood asthma and have shown that using a gas stove can produce elevated levels of benzene on a par with those from secondhand tobacco smoke, or more tiny toxic particles than the exhaust of a diesel-powered vehicle.Mar 15, 2024"

Please don't thank me. Effusive fawning and obeisance of disciples, mendicants, and foot-kissers embarrass me.

IP Logged

Jovial Monk

Dogs not cats!

Reply #28 - May 25th, 2024 at 3:04pm

No children here, dickhead!

Get the vaxx! 💉💉

IP Logged

Laugh till you cry
Gold Member

In your happy place
Reply #29 - May 25th, 2024 at 8:10pm

Jovial Monk wrote on May 25th, 2024 at 3:04pm:
No children here, dickhead!

Intellectual Dwarfs?

Please don't thank me. Effusive fawning and obeisance of disciples, mendicants, and foot-kissers embarrass me.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Send Topic Print