Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Live Sheep Export Trade To End In 2028 (Read 296 times)
whiteknight
Gold Member

Australian Politics

melbourne
Live Sheep Export Trade To End In 2028
May 12th, 2024 at 1:22pm

Live sheep export trade to end in 2028 as Agriculture Minister Murray Watt announces $107m support package

May 11 2024
ABC News

In short: The federal government has announced it will end Australia’s live sheep export trade by 2028.   Smiley
The phase-out includes a $107 million transition package for the industry.
What's next? Legislation will be introduced to parliament to ensure the ban can be in place by 2028.
The federal government has announced Australia will stop exporting live sheep from May 1, 2028 while unveiling a $107 million package to help the industry transition.

Speaking in Perth, Federal Agriculture Minister Murray Watt said the closure of live exports — which was a 2022 election promise — would be "orderly and considered".

"We are mapping out a plan for the future of the sheep industry … that delivers more value-adding onshore, which means more jobs locally," he said.

"I want the WA sheep industry to thrive and grow into the future, seizing what is an untapped opportunity: more onshore meat processing.

Federal Agriculture Minister Murray Watt travelled to Perth to make the announcement.
"This plan also delivers certainty for farmers with a firm end date and a significant amount of taxpayer funding to assist their transition and develop new markets." 

'Gutless' move
West Australian opposition leader Shane Love said it was a "very black day for WA".

"Minister Watt has furtively slipped unannounced into Western Australia, coming from Beef Week in his home state of Queensland, where he has no doubt been lauding cattle exports, to kill the live sheep export trade in our state," he said.

Nationals leader Shane Love says the announcement comes as farmers deal with drought conditions.
"It is a gutless move from a belligerent minister who does not care about the impact this announcement will have on families grappling with a dry season, in the middle of seeding."

Nationals leader David Littleproud has vowed to reverse the ban, if a coalition government were to win the next federal election.

'Right side of history'
The move has been welcomed by animal rights groups, with the RSCPA WA chair Lynne Bradshaw celebrating it as an "historic day for animal welfare in Australia". 

"We have been working towards this outcome for decades … I congratulate the government for its considered decision which will put an end to unnecessary cruelty for millions of sheep," Ms Bradshaw said.

"The four-year phase-out, accompanied by a $107m package to support producers and increase supply chain capacity means WA can still have a thriving sheep meat industry — minus the unnecessary cruelty of shipping live animals.

The RSPCA supports the phase-out.
"Other states and countries have successfully transitioned from this trade and there's no reason why we can't as well.

"In the future, live export will be viewed as a shameful part of Australia's past.

"Today's announcement sets us on the path to the right side of history."

'Industry not prepared'
WA Farmers livestock president Geoff Pearson said the compensation package would not be enough.

"It won't even reach farmers, it won't even reach producers and the people that are in the industry, it'll be tied up with consultants," he said.

Mr Pearson disagreed with Senator Watt's suggestion the move would create more onshore jobs, because the market was already saturated with boxed and chilled meat.

"The industry is not prepared to be able to absorb a lot of this onshore processing, and the market is not prepared to take any of it up either," he said.

Geoff Pearson stands in a paddock with cattle behind him
WA cattle producer and exporter Geoff Pearson says the changes could hit the hip-pockets of some producers, especially during times of drought.(ABC Rural:
"Every [agricultural] industry is in support of this trade to continue because they're scared of what's coming next, so as it is now the fight will continue."

The federal government will introduce legislation in this term of parliament to ensure the ban comes into place in May 2028.

Australia exported more than 593,000 sheep last year, with almost half of them sent to Kuwait, which was the country’s largest importer of the animal.

The nation's live sheep exports have been in decline over the past 20 years, according to an independent report commissioned by the government.

IP Logged

whiteknight
Gold Member

Australian Politics

melbourne
Re: Live Sheep Export Trade To End In 2028
Reply #1 - May 12th, 2024 at 1:24pm

The RSPCA supports the phase-out.   Smiley
"Other states and countries have successfully transitioned from this trade and there's no reason why we can't as well.

IP Logged

Baronvonrort
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #2 - May 12th, 2024 at 4:31pm

The last time Labor stopped live exports our customers started buying live animals from Canada and Brazil.

It resulted in saleyards overflowing with cattle which caused prices to drop for farmers selling they took a huge hit.
The price didn't go down for consumers at retail it stayed the same.

Labor never learn from their mistakes these idiots keep repeating the same mistakes.

Leftists and the Ayatollahs have a lot in common when it comes to criticism of Islam, they don't tolerate it.

IP Logged

Baronvonrort
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #3 - May 13th, 2024 at 12:37am

Live exports are why we have Sheep, Goats, Deer, Rabbits, Foxes, Camels, Cows,Pigs and Cane Toads in Australia

Quote:
Albanese said he would NOT stop the live export trade and he would NOT destroy Farmers/Truck Drivers/Stock Feed businesses etc in #WAPOL
Albo conned voters.  Mark McGowan conned them as well.

https://twitter.com/1Swinging_Voter/status/1789460306688889317

AnAl is full of it.

Leftists and the Ayatollahs have a lot in common when it comes to criticism of Islam, they don't tolerate it.

IP Logged

mothra
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #4 - May 13th, 2024 at 6:48am

Brilliant news!

While i'm thrilled, i'm heartbroken over all the animals that will suffer for four more long years.

This crap should have been behind us years ago.

If you can't be a good example, you have to be a horrible warning.

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #5 - May 13th, 2024 at 1:28pm

mothra wrote on May 13th, 2024 at 6:48am:
Brilliant news!

While i'm thrilled, i'm heartbroken over all the animals that will suffer for four more long years.

It gets sold to all your Muslim mates in the ME.

Never mind they will get it from other countries...

and more Aussie farmers will go under.

https://www.9news.com.au/national/sheep-live-exports-ban-107-million-dollar-plan...

"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It's only painful and difficult for others. The same applies when you are stupid." ~ Ricky Gervais

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #6 - May 13th, 2024 at 2:47pm

Good news!

Hopefully they go through with it as planned and there are no delays.

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #7 - May 13th, 2024 at 2:53pm

They're going to stop free flights for retired politicians in 2028?

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

Belgarion
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #8 - May 13th, 2024 at 3:19pm

Another virtue signalling move that will achieve nothing except a loss of markets for Australian farmers and another nail in the coffin of Australian industry.

"I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."

Voltaire.....(possibly)

IP Logged

Belgarion
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #9 - May 13th, 2024 at 3:20pm

mothra wrote on May 13th, 2024 at 6:48am:
Brilliant news!

Bombs in toys Mothra...still waiting for a source... Roll Eyes

"I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."

Voltaire.....(possibly)

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #10 - May 13th, 2024 at 4:58pm

greggerypeccary wrote on May 13th, 2024 at 2:47pm:
Good news!

Hopefully they go through with it as planned and there are no delays.

If it's so bad then why not stop the trade this year?

Albo is as weak as water.   Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print