Ukraine war update (Read 17812 times)
thegreatdivide
Gold Member

Australian Politics<br
/>

Re: Ukraine war update
Reply #75 - May 24th, 2024 at 12:22pm

chimera wrote on May 23rd, 2024 at 4:21pm:
You give no ref to the UN requiring negotiation.

Unlike you, I'm not a robot; I'm employing basic logic to explain the requirements for effective international law.

The rule of law requires negotiation (exchange of ideas)  and adjudication.

In fact, individual sovereignty is incompatible with rule of law, in logic.

Likewise,  national sovereignty is incompatible with an international rules based system

Now, let's deal with your following FD-style succession of questions ( his are usually absurd, let's see what you got...):

Quote:
If Russia has no rights then why raise them and say Russia should negotiate? And why then should Ukraine negotiate?

Who said Russia has no rights?

Next:

Quote:
Berlin politics can't alter the fact about who conquered it and East Germany for USSR. You want Germany to negotiate?

You identified your previous error; by "Berlin", you meant East Berlin.  The Western powers ruled in West Berlin.

ditto for Ukraine now:  East versus West.

Quote:
Where did I say anything about veto powers? You put words in our mouths then argue against them.

Addressed above; I have shown why article 51 of the UN Charter (which you cited)  contradicts the rest of the Charter. 

And I have shown an international rules-based system (which the US likes to imagine it believes in) requires an international  negotiating  and adjudicating court, to avoid states' recourse to war to settle disputes.

The veto is WHY the UNSC has failed  to keep the peace, and interntional law is rendered ineffective.   

[Some history: in 1946, most delegates present at the creation of the UN Charter resisted the adoption of the veto by the members of the proposed UNSC - but the great powers (US and USSR) demanded it: "no veto, no UN Charter" they insisted. Everyone was forced to accept  the veto in the UNSC, another triumph for national self-interest by the great powers]. 

IP Logged

chimera
Gold Member

Australian Politics

armidale
Reply #76 - May 24th, 2024 at 12:37pm

You say international law requires negotiation, then default to 'basic logic'. Fail.
'national sovereignty is incompatible with an international rules based system'. Self contradictory. Fail.
You said Russia has no right to invade. So where is the requirement for Ukraine to negotiate? You're undermining Russia. Fail.
Russia conquered East Germany and Berlin. Fact. Fail.
You say you answered where I mentioned veto. No answer. Fail.
Sorry.

IP Logged

thegreatdivide
Gold Member

Australian Politics<br
/>

Reply #77 - May 24th, 2024 at 1:38pm

chimera wrote on May 24th, 2024 at 12:37pm:
You say international law requires negotiation, then default to 'basic logic'. Fail.

Negotiation includes exchange of ideas, required to  establish international  law in the first place.

As for negotiation beteen clowns like  Putin and Zelensky, the latter  supported by the self-intersted US hegemon, negotiations didn't get off the ground.

Quote:
'national sovereignty is incompatible with an international rules based system'. Self contradictory. Fail.

Er.....please explain; 'national sovereignty' means not subject to law outside the nation's jurisprudence.   

Quote:
You said Russia has no right to invade.

Correct, but under the current contradictory "international rules based system" (contradiction revealed in Article 51 with its bs about "defensive war"), Russia (Putin) is able to claim he is fighting a "defensive war" because  NATO is backing anti-Russian policies  in Russian-speaking provinces in Ukraine.

Quote:
So where is the requirement for Ukraine to negotiate?

Given the absence of effective international law, negotiation between the disputants might still avoid war, but as we have seen the US -as always - prefers to  further its own own strategic interests. 

Quote:
You're undermining Russia. Fail.

I'm undermining the 'sovereignty' of ALL nations..... I think you made a mistake....

Quote:
Russia conquered East Germany and Berlin. Fact. Fail.

(google)

"The army of the Soviet Union conquered Berlin in April/May 1945. Two months later the Western Allied troops also entered the city. On 4 July 1945, the American Independence Day, U.S. troops officially took charge of their occupation sector in southwest Berlin.

Ditto for the other allied  forces, all allies with Russia at that time before the Cold War began.   

Quote:
You say you answered where I mentioned veto. No answer. Fail.
Sorry.

Your ignorance of the issues leading up to the present war is egregious; you are in fact complicit in the war. 
« Last Edit: May 24th, 2024 at 1:44pm by thegreatdivide »  

IP Logged

chimera
Gold Member

Australian Politics

armidale
Reply #78 - May 24th, 2024 at 2:06pm

Repeating stuff doesn't add legality to negotiation. 'International' means what? Go on, guess. You're still contradicting 'Ukraine was in USSR' by saying 'claim defensive war'. You say Soviets conquered Berlin to argue they didn't.  My head hurts.

IP Logged

thegreatdivide
Gold Member

Australian Politics<br
/>

Reply #79 - May 24th, 2024 at 6:10pm

chimera wrote on May 24th, 2024 at 2:06pm:
Repeating stuff doesn't add legality to negotiation.

Indeed, only international law can add legality to effective negotiations (which avoids war).

International in this context refers to international jurisprudence:

https://academic.oup.com/book/12583/chapter-abstract/162407753?redirectedFrom=fu...

Summing up, international jurisprudence is a binding form of global administrative law to those parties involved in a dispute.

...as opposed to national juripridence.

Quote:
International' means what? Go on, guess.

Don't have to guess; the 'Oxford Scholarship Online" article cited above defines it for you.   

Quote:
You're still contradicting 'Ukraine was in USSR' by saying 'claim defensive war'.

No, I'm seeing the issue from Putin's point of view, some- thing you appear incapable of doing; much better to  fight Putin to the last Ukrainian, as you and the US prefer.   

Quote:
You say Soviets conquered Berlin to argue they didn't.  My head hurts.

Did you miss it? All the allies occupied Berlin in 1945, with the administrative arrangements for the occupied city completed 2 months after Russians (who were still allies at this time) first entered in April, and particular zones were established by agreement ...not war.

So you can stop hurting your head now.....Russians were the alies' friends in 1945.

IP Logged

chimera
Gold Member

Australian Politics

armidale
Reply #80 - May 24th, 2024 at 6:26pm

You really must stop contradicting yourself (although it does destroy whatever it is you are pushing). By the way, this effective world order of yours - is that a Chinese global dictatorship?

IP Logged

thegreatdivide
Gold Member

Australian Politics<br
/>

Reply #81 - May 24th, 2024 at 6:48pm

chimera wrote on May 24th, 2024 at 6:26pm:
You really must stop contradicting yourself (although it does destroy whatever it is you are pushing).

You forgot to identify the contradictions, after I had explained your errors. 

Quote:
By the way, this effective world order of yours - is that a Chinese global dictatorship?

No, it's an order in which all nations abide by international law/jurisprudence, as defined in the linked article.

IP Logged

chimera
Gold Member

Australian Politics

armidale
Reply #82 - May 24th, 2024 at 6:55pm

aarrrgh
another contradiction.
I may turn to drink. oh, my head...

IP Logged

thegreatdivide
Gold Member

Australian Politics<br
/>

Reply #83 - May 25th, 2024 at 11:21am

chimera wrote on May 24th, 2024 at 6:55pm:
aarrrgh
another contradiction.

Again, you forgot to point to the "other contradiction"  in "all nations need to abide by international law/jurisprudence",

Typical of conservatives who can't defend their views logically.   

Quote:
I may turn to drink. oh, my head...

It seems you don't have many functioning neurons, so not much harm can eventuate I suppose. 

IP Logged

chimera
Gold Member

Australian Politics

armidale
Reply #84 - May 25th, 2024 at 11:54am

thegreatdivide wrote on May 24th, 2024 at 12:22pm:
  national sovereignty is incompatible with an international rules based system

Which of your two opinions is the correct one?

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #85 - May 26th, 2024 at 12:41am

I turn to drink - I have a Zenker's Diverticulum in the throat and to keep things out of it I turn to the left to swallow... gives me my excellent growl, too!!!

Grrrrrrrr...

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

chimera
Gold Member

Australian Politics

armidale
Reply #86 - May 26th, 2024 at 2:12am

With your condition, you need a great divide. Keep on drinking on the left and you'll be right, don't swallow everything.

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #87 - May 26th, 2024 at 5:39pm

I think the whole world is so fed up with the Russians.

We helped them to win WW2 and then they turned on us -
forming an iron curtain placing the whole of Eastern Europe
under communist slavery and then they pointed
10s of 1000s of nuclear missiles at us.
Never in human history has there been a greater betrayal.

IP Logged

thegreatdivide
Gold Member

Australian Politics<br
/>

Reply #88 - May 27th, 2024 at 1:26pm

chimera wrote on May 25th, 2024 at 11:54am:
thegreatdivide wrote on May 24th, 2024 at 12:22pm:
  national sovereignty is incompatible with an international rules based system

Which of your two opinions is the correct one?

Ahha - now we are making progress:

There is only ONE opinion there, namely:

National sovereignty is incompatible with an international rules-based system.

You need to explain what the "two opinions" are, whether regarding  compatibility or sovereignty. 
« Last Edit: May 27th, 2024 at 1:33pm by thegreatdivide »  

IP Logged

thegreatdivide
Gold Member

Australian Politics<br
/>

Reply #89 - May 27th, 2024 at 1:52pm

Bobby. wrote on May 26th, 2024 at 5:39pm:
I think the whole world is so fed up with the Russians.

Yes. Even Xi is annoyed, while trying to maintain a strategic partnership with Putin (Chinese trade with Russia is being hindered because of spill-over effects from US sanctions).   

Quote:
We helped them to win WW2 and then they turned on us -
forming an iron curtain placing the whole of Eastern Europe

They helped the Allies,   at a cost of 20 million Russian lives.

Quote:
under communist slavery and then they pointed
10s of 1000s of nuclear missiles at us.
Never in human history has there been a greater betrayal.

The communist/capitalist contest need not have been a matter of life and death, both sides were responsible for the Cold War in the age of MAD.   Russians over-ran Eastern Europe during the defeat of Nazi Germany; obviously  in Stalin's (and following communist leaders' eyes), the more countries available to 'prove the superiority of communism' the better (they lost that contest). 

But right now, the most egregious betrayal of the world  is the US-based  global  financial system. 

Just sayin'. 

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 53
Send Topic Print