Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Send Topic Print
Private School Funding (Read 1255 times)
freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Re: privatisation
Reply #15 - May 20th, 2024 at 12:59pm

Quote:
Ah - progress: so an assertion that "the state's responsibility is to provide the best (possible) education for all" is "illogical", when ONLY the state can guarantee education for all, since not everyone can afford private education.

Our state does guarantee education for all. But it is absurd to suggest it is responsible to provide everyone with the best possible education, unless you have a very limited imagination. Really, this is just more meaningless gibberish.

People who can't distinguish between etymology and entomology bug me in ways I cannot put into words.
IP Logged

thegreatdivide
Gold Member

Australian Politics<br
/>

Reply #16 - May 20th, 2024 at 2:00pm

freediver wrote on May 20th, 2024 at 12:59pm:
Quote:
Ah - progress: so an assertion that "the state's responsibility is to provide the best (possible) education for all" is "illogical", when ONLY the state can guarantee education for all, since not everyone can afford private education.

Our state does guarantee education for all.

But doesn't actually do it - a subtle difference - because the current small government/debt and deficit mainstream mythology causes the government to underfund public schools while siphoning public funds to private schools in a misconstued responsbility shifting exercise (to "save" governement money).

Quote:
But it is absurd to suggest it is responsible to provide everyone with the best possible education, unless you have a very limited imagination. Really, this is just more meaningless gibberish.

Er - it means providing all students and all schools  with the necessary resources as noted in the 2011 SRS report (have you forgotten already?)

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #17 - May 20th, 2024 at 2:17pm

thegreatdivide wrote on May 20th, 2024 at 2:00pm:
Quote:

But doesn't actually do it - a subtle difference - because the current small government/debt and deficit mainstream mythology causes the government to underfund public schools while siphoning public funds to private schools in a misconstued responsbility shifting exercise (to "save" governement money).

Quote:
But it is absurd to suggest it is responsible to provide everyone with the best possible education, unless you have a very limited imagination. Really, this is just more meaningless gibberish.

Er - it means providing all students and all schools  with the necessary resources as noted in the 2011 SRS report (have you forgotten already?)

Ah. Of course. You were not referring to the best possible education. You were referring to some paperwork.

People who can't distinguish between etymology and entomology bug me in ways I cannot put into words.
IP Logged

thegreatdivide
Gold Member

Australian Politics<br
/>

Reply #18 - May 20th, 2024 at 2:38pm

freediver wrote on May 20th, 2024 at 2:17pm:
thegreatdivide wrote on May 20th, 2024 at 2:00pm:
Quote:

Quote:

Ah. Of course. You were not referring to the best possible education. You were referring to some paperwork.

Ok you win; no I was referring to necessary education standards as outlined by the body charged with identifying them.

....to achieve  "the best educational outcomes for all" ...my bad...

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #19 - May 20th, 2024 at 2:39pm

Quote:
Everything you post is meaningless jargon.

You never explained what would happen with the funding for all the students who leave private schools if the government cancelled the funding to them. You understand that they would all end up costing the government more money, right? And those students would receive a lower quality education?

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Re: Private School Funding
Reply #20 - May 20th, 2024 at 3:43pm

Sorry Gnads I am trying to move your two posts to the relevant threads but am having trouble.

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #21 - May 20th, 2024 at 3:13pm

Baronvonrort wrote on Apr 12th, 2022 at 8:45pm:
freediver wrote on Apr 12th, 2022 at 7:25pm:
Quote:
SO far you haven't provided any evidence that private education provides better results.

Sure I have. The fact that so many people are willing to pay so much for it.

Money talks, BS walks.

In NSW we only have 2 government non selective high schools in the top 100 schools.

Willoughby Girls High school is highest ranked at 65th that area has large Asian population.

A government selective high school only takes bright kids these schools do well because they don't admit dim wits.The kids sit a test in 6th grade to qualify for a selective high school. The high school i went to is ranked 2nd best in NSW.

10 private schools are ranked in the top 21 high schools.

https://www.matrix.edu.au/high-school-rankings/2021-high-school-rankings/

If your offspring aren't smart enough to get into selective high school then private schools have better results compared to non selective government schools.

They charge a fortune for your children to attend.

Why should they get any Govt aka taxpayer funding at all?

"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It's only painful and difficult for others. The same applies when you are stupid." ~ Ricky Gervais

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #22 - May 20th, 2024 at 5:56pm

The per student cost to the Govt for a child in a private school is about 25% lower than a Govt school.

Private schools save us all money.
The 2 Steinway D-274s my daughter gets to play on aren't paid for by the taxpayer.

IBI

IP Logged

thegreatdivide
Gold Member

Australian Politics<br
/>

Reply #23 - May 20th, 2024 at 6:05pm

freediver wrote on May 20th, 2024 at 2:39pm:
You never explained what would happen with the funding for all the students who leave private schools if the government cancelled the funding to them. You understand that they would all end up costing the government more money, right? And those students would receive a lower quality education?

1. The parents currently sending their kids to private schools would be richer, while the government money currently devoted to funding private schools would be freed up to fund better public education and schools.

2. As for costing the government more money (as private funding for private schools is withdrawn),  government money created in Treasury is free for the government (or alternatively, given the general public's ignorance of how money is created,  the govt. could raise more taxes from the wealthy who currently want to send their kids to exclusive ideology-based schools).

In either case, the issue is providing sufflicient resources to provide quality education for all. 

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #24 - May 20th, 2024 at 6:15pm

Ah I keep forgetting. Money is "free" so the government can spend whatever it wants.

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #25 - May 20th, 2024 at 6:17pm

Gordon wrote on May 20th, 2024 at 5:56pm:
The per student cost to the Govt for a child in a private school is about 25% lower than a Govt school.

The 2 Steinway D-274s my daughter gets to play on aren't paid for by the taxpayer.

Argh aye - personal choice, innit?  Choice-mobile...

Of course my pair both got scholarships to a private college, don' cha know?  No stuffing about... but I suppose I shouldn't discuss the situation of others with lesser offspring  (ooooOOOOOHHHHHHHHHH!!) ....

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #26 - May 21st, 2024 at 9:10am

My point was: why should private schools get any Govt funding???

"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It's only painful and difficult for others. The same applies when you are stupid." ~ Ricky Gervais

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #27 - May 21st, 2024 at 9:34am

Gnads wrote on May 21st, 2024 at 9:10am:

Why shouldn't they?

IP Logged

thegreatdivide
Gold Member

Australian Politics<br
/>

Reply #28 - May 21st, 2024 at 12:19pm

freediver wrote on May 20th, 2024 at 6:15pm:
Ah I keep forgetting. Money is "free" so the government can spend whatever it wants.

Money CAN be free for a currency-issuing government, by definition. What part of that don't you understand?

[Government can also control inflation - the usual, objection by mainstream 'flat-earth' economists].

Alternatively, rich people used to be taxed appropriately, until the false low tax = high productivity, "trickle down" nonsense gained support in the mainstream.  Gina Rinehart is laughing all the way to the bank.

IP Logged

thegreatdivide
Gold Member

Australian Politics<br
/>

Reply #29 - May 21st, 2024 at 12:27pm

freediver wrote on May 21st, 2024 at 9:34am:
Gnads wrote on May 21st, 2024 at 9:10am:

Why shouldn't they?

Because they push their own ideology-based concept of education, not an education for the collective, eg based on universal morality, justice and fairness. 

Now.... why should private schools get government funding?

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Send Topic Print