Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 17
Send Topic Print
Coalition To Dump Australia's Climate Target (Read 5592 times)
whiteknight
Gold Member

Australian Politics

melbourne
Coalition To Dump Australia's Climate Target
Jun 9th, 2024 at 10:35am

Coalition to dump Australia's 2030 climate target, arguing 43 per cent emissions reduction is unachievable   Sad

9 June 2024
ABC News

In short: The Coalition says Labor will fail to meet the Paris Agreement emissions reductions target but will damage Australian industry in trying.
Recent projections indicate Australia is not on track for the 2030 target, but could get close if existing policies are implemented as promised.
What next? The Coalition is focusing on gas and nuclear power, which the Australian Conservation Foundation describes as a "fantasy which Australia does not need".
The federal Coalition has confirmed it will dump Australia's commitment to reduce emissions by 43 per cent by 2030, arguing it is unachievable.

Australia has committed under the Paris Agreement to cutting greenhouse gas emissions by 43 per cent on 2005 levels by the end of the decade.

Abandoning the target would also mean withdrawing from the Paris Agreement.   

The Coalition argues Labor will fail to meet the target, while significantly damaging Australian industry in the process of trying.

But it remains committed to reaching net zero emissions by 2050, arguing nuclear power should play a key role in getting there.

Shadow Energy Minister Ted O'Brien said the cost would simply be too great.

"If Labor is going to achieve its 2030 targets, which industry is it going to attack?" he said.

"Is it manufacturing, is it agriculture, is it resources?

"The only way now that Labor can achieve its 2030 target, is to collapse industry. We will not have a bar of it from the Coalition."

Ted O'Brien says Labor's only chance to meet the 2030 target is to collapse industry.
The most recent projections from the Climate Change Authority found Australia was not on track to meet the 2030 target.

But it suggested if the government implemented policies as promised, the country could come very close to making the goal.

The heavy lifting will largely be done by the energy sector, and the government has a separate commitment to run the national grid on 82 per cent renewables by 2030.

CSIRO finds nuclear would cost twice as much as renewables
Building a large-scale nuclear power plant in Australia would cost at least $8.5 billion and take 15 years to deliver, the country's leading scientific institution has found.   Sad

The Coalition argues that too will be impossible to meet, and is preparing to detail a very different energy policy — relying more heavily on gas, while nuclear power plants are built on the sites of retired coal-fired generators.

The release of that policy has been repeatedly delayed.

Mr O'Brien was pressed on whether the Coalition would adopt any targets at all before 2050, but was unwilling to say.

"When it comes to our energy policy — that will be released in due course," he said.

"But we will not accept from Labor an ongoing dishonesty, trying to tell the Australian people that everything is going well.

"This is turning into a trainwreck for our economy."

In May, Peter Dutton told parliament that Australia must become a nuclear-powered nation.   Sad
Scrapping commitment would withdraw from Paris Agreement
The federal government has heavily criticised the announcement, arguing it risks Australia's international reputation and certainty for industry.

It says there is simply no way to revise the 2030 target backwards without withdrawing from the Paris Agreement.

Energy Minister Chris Bowen said the Coalition needed to spell out how it would handle that.

"The Paris Accord is very clear — you can't backslide, you can't reduce your commitments," he said.

"So is [opposition leader] Peter Dutton proposing to leave the Paris Accord, or is he just hoping no one notices?

"At the moment, the countries outside the Paris Accord are Libya, Yemen and Iran. Is Mr Dutton proposing to take Australia into that company?"

Does it take 19 years to build a nuclear reactor?
Minister for Climate Change and Energy Chris Bowen says the average build time for a nuclear power plant in the United States has been nearly two decades. Is that correct? RMIT ABC Fact Check runs the numbers.

The Coalition argues Labor is going to fail to meet the 2030 target, and needs to make its own explanations as to how it would meet the Paris commitment.

The announcement has also been criticised by climate groups, who argue Australia is building momentum towards reaching the 2030 target.

Jennifer Rayner from the Climate Council said dumping the targets would be a step backwards.   Sad

"Peter Dutton is talking about doing a huge U-turn on the momentum and progress Australia is already making," she said.

Kelly O'Shannessy from the Australian Conservation Foundation said the cost of abandoning the targets would be significant.

"Mr Dutton's plans would be an international disgrace and it would trash our relationships with key allies who are depending on Australia to adhere to keeping 1.5 degrees alive," she said.   Sad

"Mr Dutton is also banking on a nuclear fantasy which Australia does not need

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Re: Coalition To Dump Australia's Climate Target
Reply #1 - Jun 9th, 2024 at 10:44am

Of course it's unachievable, for the coalition. They don't want to achieve it. They have just been lying to voters for the last 20 years claiming to take climate change seriously.

People who can't distinguish between etymology and entomology bug me in ways I cannot put into words.
IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #2 - Jun 9th, 2024 at 10:52am

Mr potato Head will never learn. A large reason the teals decimated the libs in the last election was due to their inaction on climate change. Mr Potato Head won't even win his seat if this is the route he chooses.

According to a story I saw on TV,  this decision is based on polling in 8 areas they want to build reactors in, where the residents were polled on whether or not they wanted new jobs in nuclear.  The people polled were never told the reactors were planned for their backyards nor were they asked if they agreed to a reactor in their backyard.

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #3 - Jun 9th, 2024 at 10:57am

Now I get it. They signed up to a 2030 deadline. So in 2024 they announced they could get nuclear reactors built in 5 years. It's not their fault if no-one believes them.

People who can't distinguish between etymology and entomology bug me in ways I cannot put into words.
IP Logged

aquascoot
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #4 - Jun 9th, 2024 at 1:28pm

"If Labor is going to achieve its 2030 targets, which industry is it going to attack?" he said.

"Is it manufacturing, is it agriculture, is it resources?

"The only way now that Labor can achieve its 2030 target, is to collapse industry. We will not have a bar of it from the Coalition."

couldnt have  put it better
Smiley Smiley Smiley

IP Logged

lee
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #5 - Jun 9th, 2024 at 2:00pm

With the electrification of housing, Motor vehicles etc, NO ONE  has calculated the INCREASE of reliable energy required. NO fossil fuels means NO Gas, NO Coal and NO Oil.

There are over 6000 products that rely on oil alone for their manufacture.

And then there are the batteries required. The CSIRO cites Lazard, Lazard's cost of storage is based on a mere 4 hours of battery use. Estimates are far higher, about 1700 hours to account for wind and solar drought.

Hornsdale battery cost about $100 million for a claimed 100MW or 129MWh.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #6 - Jun 9th, 2024 at 2:09pm

Labor and the Greens introduced the cheapest, most economically rational way to reduce GHG emissions. The coalition removed it, while still promising they are committed to emissions reductions, but delivering only decades of doubt and confusion. The coalition are economic vandals. That's why they are losing their heartland seats to the teals.

IP Logged

lee
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #7 - Jun 9th, 2024 at 2:11pm

freediver wrote on Jun 9th, 2024 at 2:09pm:
Labor and the Greens introduced the cheapest, most economically rational way to reduce GHG emissions.

As opposed to the cheapest most economically rational way to provide reliable electricity. Wink

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #8 - Jun 9th, 2024 at 5:52pm

lee wrote on Jun 9th, 2024 at 2:11pm:
Labor and the Greens introduced the cheapest, most economically rational way to reduce GHG emissions.

As opposed to the cheapest most economically rational way to provide reliable electricity. Wink

Only in your head. Everyone else,  including those in the energy industry,  disagrees with you.  Perhaps it's time you upgraded from your abacus to a calculator?

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

lee
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #9 - Jun 9th, 2024 at 6:04pm

John Smith wrote on Jun 9th, 2024 at 5:52pm:
Only in your head.

Nope. But good try. Grin Grin Grin Grin

Everyone else,  including those in the energy industry,  disagrees with you.

So you don't believe the CSIRO cites Lazard? Or you don't believe Lazard's Levelized Cost of Energy only uses 4 hours of battery? Or you don't believe we need more than four hours of battery?

Which is it? I mean you must KNOW. Apparently Everyone says so. Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #10 - Jun 9th, 2024 at 6:07pm

lee wrote on Jun 9th, 2024 at 2:11pm:

The coalition fails there also. They have been heavily subsidising some of the most expensive and economically irrational alternative energy sources. Also known as "buying votes".

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #11 - Jun 9th, 2024 at 6:13pm

lee wrote on Jun 9th, 2024 at 6:04pm:
Only in your head.

Nope. But good try. Grin Grin Grin Grin

Everyone else,  including those in the energy industry,  disagrees with you.

So you don't believe the CSIRO cites Lazard? Or you don't believe Lazard's Levelized Cost of Energy only uses 4 hours of battery? Or you don't believe we need more than four hours of battery?

Which is it? I mean you must KNOW. Apparently Everyone says so. Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

There you go again,  going on about batteries  whenever the cost of nuclear comes up. Do you think the boards of every electricity supplier in the country didn't weight up the cost of batteries when deciding where they'd invest in nuclear or alternatives?  Cheesy

Our esteemed leader:

IP Logged

lee
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #12 - Jun 9th, 2024 at 6:22pm

John Smith wrote on Jun 9th, 2024 at 6:13pm:
There you go again,  going on about batteries  whenever the cost of nuclear comes up.

The thread is about climate targets not nuclear. Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

John Smith wrote on Jun 9th, 2024 at 6:13pm:
Do you think the boards of every electricity supplier in the country didn't weight up the cost of batteries when deciding where they'd invest in nuclear or alternatives?

You are the one says everyone knows. So I suggest you do your research and show it. Wink

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #13 - Jun 9th, 2024 at 6:35pm

Quote:
The thread is about climate targets not nuclear

So you don't want to say which energy provider didn't cost for batteries when deciding to invest in nuclear or renewable . It must be a secret they only shared with you.  I understand.  We won't tell anyone.  Cheesy

Our esteemed leader:

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Crocodile Hunter: Origins

Rockhampton
Reply #14 - Jun 9th, 2024 at 6:57pm

freediver wrote on Jun 9th, 2024 at 10:44am:
Of course it's unachievable, for the coalition. They don't want to achieve it. They have just been lying to voters for the last 20 years claiming to take climate change seriously.

If they figure out a way to make car emissions down to zero, you could see 45% carbon emission drop. Otherwise, it seems near impossible for this emissions reduction to take place inside 6 years.

At this stage...
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 17
Send Topic Print