Send Topic Print
Norton (Read 3509 times)
Laugh till you cry
Gold Member

In your happy place
Re: Norton
Reply #15 - Jun 14th, 2024 at 2:43pm

Vic wrote on Jun 14th, 2024 at 11:04am:
When using a PC, I found Norton good in the early years, then as technology and indeed virus and malware advanced, it started to slow my machine down.   I switched to AVG Free and have had no issues for years!    On the Mac, I also use AVG Free

What I am trialling at the moment is a program called “Little Snitch” that stops your PC “reporting back to mother” - unless you let them.   I have stopped all outgoing connections with the exception of Apple and Microsoft - unless I permit them and my spam email has dropped a fair bit.   

Your favorite song is Sound of Silence?

Please don't thank me. Effusive fawning and obeisance of disciples, mendicants, and foot-kissers embarrass me.

IP Logged

Super Nova
Gold Member

Everywhere
Reply #16 - Jun 14th, 2024 at 6:26pm

I have not paid for antivirus for 10 years. M$ defender does the job just fine for me.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #17 - Jun 14th, 2024 at 6:56pm

What do you all recommend for a reasonably powerful laptop (slowing down should not be an issue)? Paying for something? Getting the free version of norton or similar? Or going with whatever is built in to windows?

Windows also comes with a free 1 month trial of McAffee, but I think you have to pay after that.

People who can't distinguish between etymology and entomology bug me in ways I cannot put into words.
IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Crocodile Hunter: Origins

Rockhampton
Reply #18 - Jun 14th, 2024 at 7:06pm

Jasin wrote on Jun 14th, 2024 at 2:37pm:
The more security you have, the slower your computer performance.

It is just ONE antivirus software.

At this stage...
IP Logged

Setanta
Gold Member

\/ Peace man!

Northern NSW
Reply #19 - Jun 14th, 2024 at 7:13pm

freediver wrote on Jun 14th, 2024 at 6:56pm:
What do you all recommend for a reasonably powerful laptop (slowing down should not be an issue)? Paying for something? Getting the free version of norton or similar? Or going with whatever is built in to windows?

Windows also comes with a free 1 month trial of McAffee, but I think you have to pay after that.

Ad and script blocker for your browser and Defender(what is built into Windows). If you are suspicious about a particular file, upload it and have it scanned by just about every virus scanner to an online scanner.

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #20 - Jun 14th, 2024 at 9:03pm

Ccleaner free version.
Use the registry scan

Modern Classic Right Wing

IP Logged

Super Nova
Gold Member

Everywhere
Reply #21 - Jun 15th, 2024 at 4:25pm

IMO Norton and the others just slow the system down. If you worry about performance it is using lots of resources for no benefit.

What I heard from within the industry, Microsoft started to take security seriously when Nadella took over to focus on the security of Windows. A huge investment in fixing Windows OS and is why Windows really got slower with each release for many years. Each release is not getting slower now because that restructure has been done internally. MS defender is as good as any and is good enough. I have not had a single virus on my machine since i went for just defender and dropped the other crap. All PC in the family just rely on MS Defender and we all keep the OS uptodate (which is also key)

However, I also have learned how to browse safely and not make the mistakes of the past. I make sure I really trust the source before downloading any software.

Addressing your questions:

What do you all recommend for a reasonably powerful laptop (slowing down should not be an issue)?
Don't clutter it up with bloatware or freeware that promises to make your machine faster. Keep OS uptodate and us MS Defender and Firewall.

Paying for something? Nah, waste of money.

Getting the free version of norton or similar? No free version of anything will be better than defender.

Or going with whatever is built in to windows? Works for Millions of people.

IP Logged

Captain Nemo
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #22 - Jun 15th, 2024 at 5:36pm

I agree with Super Nova ... Norton is a resource hog. I used to run it for many years but when they made it compulsory to store the credit card details for the annual renewal I dumped it and switched to the Windows in-built Defender.

No issues at all with Defender and it is less intrusive than Norton was.

I run the free version of Malwarebytes too to deal with possible problems.

I also run the free version of CCleaner regularly to clean up tracking cookies and fix registry issues.

Smooth running PC is the result and I save $85 a year or whatever it is now for the "bloatware" Norton.  Cool

The 2025 election could be a shocker.
IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #23 - Jun 15th, 2024 at 7:15pm

Captain Nemo wrote on Jun 15th, 2024 at 5:36pm:
I agree with Super Nova ... Norton is a resource hog. I used to run it for many years but when they made it compulsory to store the credit card details for the annual renewal I dumped it and switched to the Windows in-built Defender.

No issues at all with Defender and it is less intrusive than Norton was.

I run the free version of Malwarebytes too to deal with possible problems.

I also run the free version of CCleaner regularly to clean up tracking cookies and fix registry issues.

Smooth running PC is the result and I save $85 a year or whatever it is now for the "bloatware" Norton.  Cool

You should remove cookies that you don't want yourself - every few days.

In Firefox and Edge - it's easy.
Just keep the ones for the sites you are a member of like here.

IP Logged

Captain Nemo
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #24 - Jun 15th, 2024 at 11:33pm

CCleaner does a more thorough job deleting cookies than doing so within the browser.

It also clears Thunderbird cookies etc.

Great for cleaning up old registry entries too.

The 2025 election could be a shocker.
IP Logged

Vic
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne Victoria
Reply #25 - Jun 17th, 2024 at 9:29am

Laugh till you cry wrote on Jun 14th, 2024 at 2:43pm:
Vic wrote on Jun 14th, 2024 at 11:04am:
When using a PC, I found Norton good in the early years, then as technology and indeed virus and malware advanced, it started to slow my machine down.   I switched to AVG Free and have had no issues for years!    On the Mac, I also use AVG Free

What I am trialling at the moment is a program called “Little Snitch” that stops your PC “reporting back to mother” - unless you let them.   I have stopped all outgoing connections with the exception of Apple and Microsoft - unless I permit them and my spam email has dropped a fair bit.   

Your favorite song is Sound of Silence?

Only this version:

Football, Meat Pies, Kangaroos and Liberal Lies
Football, Meat Pies, Kangaroos and Liberal Lies

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #26 - Jun 17th, 2024 at 10:02am

Anyone use sophos?

People who can't distinguish between etymology and entomology bug me in ways I cannot put into words.
IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Crocodile Hunter: Origins

Rockhampton
Reply #27 - Jun 17th, 2024 at 2:20pm

freediver wrote on Jun 17th, 2024 at 10:02am:
Anyone use sophos?

Many years ago.

At this stage...
IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #28 - Jun 17th, 2024 at 2:35pm

I think a lot of businesses use it. At least one of my past employers encouraged everyone to use a free version they supplied at home. Not sure if they paid anything for it or it was just whatever sophos offered for free.

IP Logged

Belgarion
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #29 - Jun 17th, 2024 at 4:01pm

I have been using Norton for several years, however lately I seem to be getting more and risk notifications along with offers of upgrades. I am suspecting this more to do with pushing the product than real risks.... Undecided

"I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."

Voltaire.....(possibly)

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 6
Send Topic Print