Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Poll Poll
Question: Are you supportive of Nuclear power in Australia?

Yes    
  13 (50.0%)
No    
  10 (38.5%)
Undecided    
  3 (11.5%)

Total votes: 26
« Created by: Captain Nemo on: Jun 20th, 2024 at 10:45pm »

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... 29
Send Topic Print
Dutton reveals 7 sites for nuclear power plants (Read 10116 times)
Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Re: Dutton reveals 7 sites for nuclear power plants
Reply #120 - Jun 20th, 2024 at 10:30pm

Frank wrote on Jun 20th, 2024 at 10:18pm:
Dnarever wrote on Jun 20th, 2024 at 9:45pm:
They don't know how much it will cost.
They don't own the sites.
The site owners don't want it.
The time frame 2036 is not achievable. Csiro say the earliest could be 2040.
The reactors they want to use don't work anywhere in the world.
They are planning to build 7 reactors at these 7 sites.
They are not legal in half the sites.

There is no plan for nuclear waste disposal.

So let's look into it.

Na Still too dangerous. One day it will be the best option but until then it isn't in our best interests.

Also - There is no plan for nuclear waste disposal.

The super careful Japanese failed the she'll be ok Aussies are not suitable for this by nature /personality. We are what Homer simpson is based on. We are by nature a 200% greater risk than the Japanese. For us it isn't if we will have an accident but when will we have a nuclear accident.

With this proposal here we are at the pointy end of testing untried technology. More of these new untested systems fail than succeed.

IP Logged

Captain Nemo
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #121 - Jun 20th, 2024 at 10:41pm

As far as plans for nuclear waste disposal  ...  the AUKUS agreement that Albo agreed to sign involves Australia to dispose of the nuclear waste from the subs. Albo Labor was supposed to announce the site for that by now but hasn't done so. Rumour has it that it will be on ADF land.

Dutton proposes to use the same site to dispose of the nuclear waste from the nuclear power plants.

The 2025 election could be a shocker.
IP Logged

Captain Nemo
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #122 - Jun 20th, 2024 at 10:45pm

What say you? In support of Nuclear power in Australia or not?

The 2025 election could be a shocker.
IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #123 - Jun 20th, 2024 at 10:46pm

Captain Nemo wrote on Jun 20th, 2024 at 10:45pm:

Undecided.

Certainly in favour of the conversation though.

IP Logged

Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Reply #124 - Jun 21st, 2024 at 12:04am

Captain Nemo wrote on Jun 20th, 2024 at 10:45pm:

Future supporter - when it is safe and not stupid like this half arsed political move.

We should not jump into unproven technology for the purpose of votes.

Why would we go for 7 systems when there is not one single example of a working version of this technology ?

Why would we jump into nuclear power without a plan of any type to manage the nuclear waste ?

It's just Mr Potato head doing an impersonation of Mr Magoo.

This is not a serious idea.

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton
Reply #125 - Jun 21st, 2024 at 1:37am

Dnarever wrote on Jun 20th, 2024 at 12:21pm:
UnSubRocky wrote on Jun 20th, 2024 at 1:21am:
Dnarever wrote on Jun 19th, 2024 at 10:24pm:
Quote:
Liddell in NSW, in the Hunter Valley

Brilliant the Hunter area have earthquakes - just what nuclear plants need most. This is the Dutton level of competence on view.

If my rickety house ready to fall over can survive a 4.9 magnitude earthquake, I would be sure that a modern nuclear power plant would be able to handle a 7.0 (or greater).

Fukushima didn't ?

The point being that you won't be seeing any 7.0 magnitude earthquake in Australia anytime soon. The Australia Plate is quite stable. By the way, the 2011 earthquake near Japan recorded 7.9 initially before it was upgraded to a maximum of 9.0.

I would say that if there was a 7.0 earthquake near my town, my residence might feature in the news as having fallen over. But, an earthquake near a nuclear reactor should be able to handle a 7.0 magnitude.

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton
Reply #126 - Jun 21st, 2024 at 1:44am

Brian Ross wrote on Jun 20th, 2024 at 1:16pm:
UnSubRocky wrote on Jun 20th, 2024 at 1:16am:
Brian Ross wrote on Jun 19th, 2024 at 10:06pm:
UnSubRocky wrote on Jun 19th, 2024 at 9:36pm:
Brian Ross wrote on Jun 19th, 2024 at 5:59pm:

Such as... reducing carbon emissions.

No, of building and operating a nuclear reactor. Unsub.  Are you really that stupid? I forget, you're from Queensland, aren't you?  Tsk, tsk, tsk...  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Queenslanders have greater reputations for intelligence than that of some woke Westralian who virtue signals any left-wing agenda.

It will be quite an expense in building and operating a nuclear reactor. But the benefits of no longer having large quantities of carbon emissions from coal-fired power stations would far outweigh the initial costs.

Renewables achieve that without the cost or the need for long-lasting waste.  Queenslanders seem fixated on the high-tech answer to the problem. Tsk, tsk, tsk...  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

I have nothing against using renewable energy such as solar and wind power. Perhaps there should be more focus on having wave energy from around our vast shoreline produce some energy.

There is no issue with having nuclear power plants built, no matter the initial price tag in constructing them. Carbon free electricity. High electricity output. What is your solution? Put thousands of square kilometres of solar panels out in the desert?

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton
Reply #127 - Jun 21st, 2024 at 1:50am

aquascoot wrote on Jun 20th, 2024 at 1:42pm:
my son the sparkie tells me plugging in your car at night to recharge draws TWICE the amps of the rest of your house combined.

Depending on the quality of the electric car, the cost of regular usage of an electric car would be anywhere between $100 and $200 a month. If you can afford $50/wk to charge your car, you should do okay for the next 15 years with your car until the battery needs replacing. By then, you would be getting a different electric car. Hopefully, by then, electricity prices would fall relative to what they are today.

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton
Reply #128 - Jun 21st, 2024 at 1:57am

Captain Nemo wrote on Jun 20th, 2024 at 1:50pm:
The Labor Party misjudged the public mood on The Voice. Could Labor get it wrong about nuclear energy too?

Albo is so desperate for woke approval that he would probably chain himself to a tree to prevent it from being cut down.

IP Logged

aquascoot
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #129 - Jun 21st, 2024 at 4:59am

UnSubRocky wrote on Jun 21st, 2024 at 1:50am:
my son the sparkie tells me plugging in your car at night to recharge draws TWICE the amps of the rest of your house combined.

Depending on the quality of the electric car, the cost of regular usage of an electric car would be anywhere between $100 and $200 a month. If you can afford $50/wk to charge your car, you should do okay for the next 15 years with your car until the battery needs replacing. By then, you would be getting a different electric car. Hopefully, by then, electricity prices would fall relative to what they are today.

but rocky , most people will need to charge at night

when renewables dont work  Cry Cry Cry Cry

IP Logged

mothra
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #130 - Jun 21st, 2024 at 6:37am

aquascoot wrote on Jun 21st, 2024 at 4:59am:
UnSubRocky wrote on Jun 21st, 2024 at 1:50am:

but rocky , most people will need to charge at night

when renewables dont work  Cry Cry Cry Cry

Who still believes this? Seriously?

Horse Boy. That's one.

If you can't be a good example, you have to be a horrible warning.

IP Logged

SadKangaroo
Gold Member

#FightStupid

Mianjin (Brisbane)
Reply #131 - Jun 21st, 2024 at 7:04am

The Poll question isn't great.

You can support Nuclear energy but not the current Coalition policy.

It has a place in any carbon focused energy policy in general.  Is it suitable for Australia?

Costs and the abundance of alternatives would say no, especially given the big lead time for their plant construction.

But it is a gamble.  We're betting that in the time it would take to bring these plants online, we've have viable mass energy storage for renewables.

But back to Dutton's plan, it was designed first with the goal of using more Coal and Gas as demanded by their mining industry benefactors and worked backwards from there.

It's not an energy policy, it's a mining policy.

And you know they'll propose "cutting red tape" for the mining industry once we get close to the election.

More Coal means fewer renewables, but they have to pretend to care about climate change otherwise they'll never win back the teal votes.

So how can they attack renewables, champion coal and gas and pretend to care about emissions?

Nuclear.

They are not serious about actually delivering Nuclear energy.  They've done no projections for future energy demand or generation as part of this plan, or at least they're hiding that detail.

This is just a stalling tactic to hurt renewable energy growth in order to keep the like of Gina happy.

We all keep glossing right over this and pretending this is a genuine policy and debate the finer details of the implementation.

We know the Coalition don't take climate change seriously.  All we have to do is look at the line pushed by SkyNews and what their supporters say.

It's not a secret.

All the notions of meeting targets and reducing emissions, they don't care, it's all bullshit.

All they want is to lie to us to get back into power, then they'll ditch the plan or change their mind.

IP Logged

mothra
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #132 - Jun 21st, 2024 at 7:21am

SadKangaroo wrote on Jun 21st, 2024 at 7:04am:
The Poll question isn't great.

You can support Nuclear energy but not the current Coalition policy.

It has a place in any carbon focused energy policy in general.  Is it suitable for Australia?

Costs and the abundance of alternatives would say no, especially given the big lead time for their plant construction.

But it is a gamble.  We're betting that in the time it would take to bring these plants online, we've have viable mass energy storage for renewables.

But back to Dutton's plan, it was designed first with the goal of using more Coal and Gas as demanded by their mining industry benefactors and worked backwards from there.

It's not an energy policy, it's a mining policy.

And you know they'll propose "cutting red tape" for the mining industry once we get close to the election.

More Coal means fewer renewables, but they have to pretend to care about climate change otherwise they'll never win back the teal votes.

So how can they attack renewables, champion coal and gas and pretend to care about emissions?

Nuclear.

They are not serious about actually delivering Nuclear energy.  They've done no projections for future energy demand or generation as part of this plan, or at least they're hiding that detail.

This is just a stalling tactic to hurt renewable energy growth in order to keep the like of Gina happy.

We all keep glossing right over this and pretending this is a genuine policy and debate the finer details of the implementation.

We know the Coalition don't take climate change seriously.  All we have to do is look at the line pushed by SkyNews and what their supporters say.

It's not a secret.

All the notions of meeting targets and reducing emissions, they don't care, it's all bullshit.

All they want is to lie to us to get back into power, then they'll ditch the plan or change their mind.

100%.

With the added benefit of feeding into Trump era "culture wars".

Expect much more of this from Dutton.

If you can't be a good example, you have to be a horrible warning.

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #133 - Jun 21st, 2024 at 7:21am

SK,
Quote:
All they want is to lie to us to get back into power,
then they'll ditch the plan or change their mind.

You are a very cynical person.

With the huge amount of coal and gas in Australia we should have cheap and plentiful energy.
In Victoria they are talking about the possibility of running out of gas this winter.
I have gas hot water heating and gas heating and gas for cooking.
I'm worried - this has happened under the incompetent Labor Govt.
- another result of the legacy of Dirty Dan.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-06-20/aemo-warns-of-immediate-gas-shortage-risk...

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #134 - Jun 21st, 2024 at 8:19am

Frank wrote on Jun 20th, 2024 at 9:03pm:
freediver wrote on Jun 20th, 2024 at 8:54pm:
Quote:
He is putting nuclear on the discussion table.

He is announcing policy, and waiting until after the election to think about whether he can deliver on his promises.

The only thing the coalition can promise you is another decade or two of crippling uncertainty and skyrocketing prices in the electricity industry.

Remove the moronic, ideological block to nuclear first.

A great step. Much better than ruling it out of hand.

There is no block. 20 years ago I was promoting nuclear as a good option for reducing our GHG emissions. But since then the price of renewables has crashed and the price of nuclear has gone up. You do not respond to the reasons I actually give. I have no idea why you think I am "ruling it out of hand" as I have explained my reasons dozens of times since Dutton announced his 5 year fantasy:

1) Renewables are cheaper, even when you factor in storage.

2) We still do not know how to safely store nuclear waste, or how much that will cost. It is just sitting round in huge 'temporary' stockpiles.

3) Nuclear takes too long to set up. By the time we actually get power out of our first plant, nuclear will be obsolete.

People who can't distinguish between etymology and entomology bug me in ways I cannot put into words.
IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... 29
Send Topic Print